• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrate with me - I just single handedly swapped CPU in my PC

keraj37

Who ever posts first due to this enormous occasion gets gold from me and a beer*.

I swapped my very old Athlon II X4 640 for a little bit younger FX-8300 8 core black edition - thanks to this swap I am going to play all new games that are using denuvo crap in them. I am installing Far Cry 5 as we speak.

giphy.gif

*beer only in my local pub

Last edited:

DESTROYA

Congrats?
No Ryzen love but you’d probably need a new Mobo, what GPU do you have with this set up?

x1

keraj37

Congrats?
No Ryzen love but you’d probably need a new Mobo, what GPU do you have with this set up?

I have GTX 1070 and this setup runs every thing smoothly. Even was with slower athlon on board.

I know I need new mobo but still I had bargain on hand with this FX ($50) and all run on it without problem, so why would I change now.
My mobo is 760gm-p21(fx).

LokusAbriss

Still rocking my i5 2500k. Still okay with my GTX 1060. But cpu heavy games (ACC) are not running well. Most of my gaming is on my One X, so I will wait how the situation turns out next year. Need nearly everything new.

I decided against an update like yours.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Good job. I think your setup Is fine. NO need to go with the newest and fastest. A mobs swap usually means new Ram and other things.

hunthunt

Banned
I may be a huge console warrior but I have to admit like evrerybody else that swapping PC pieces and turning on new configurations to get better performances is just an amazing feeling. Not as great as reading the manuals and istalling your brand new PlayStation under your tv but cool anyway.

mango drank

How old is that mobo? I'm impressed it can run a GTX 1070. I had a machine from around the era of your original CPU (I had an i5 2500), but I tried to upgrade my GPU to a 1070 too, but it turned out that needed UEFI to work, and I think my mobo could support only the old BIOS. There weren't any more firmware updates available, so I had to build a whole new machine.

I don't think I'll ever build again, it's too stressful for me, I freak out over everything, then the troubleshooting if you can't get it up and running....
I did it once, and while I did get a pretty good feeling of accomplishment, I'll never do it again.

Decent prebuilts can be found in the sea of garbage that's out there, you've gotta shop around and have a decent knowledge of components though. Most towns of a decent size will have local shops too.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Congratulations!

I know the feeling of booting up the computer after installing new CPU's and coolers. Or flashing BIOS.

aN7zDNd6_700wa_0.gif

keraj37

How old is that mobo? I'm impressed it can run a GTX 1070. I had a machine from around the era of your original CPU (I had an i5 2500), but I tried to upgrade my GPU to a 1070 too, but it turned out that needed UEFI to work, and I think my mobo could support only the old BIOS. There weren't any more firmware updates available, so I had to build a whole new machine.

The mobo 760gm-p21(fx) is around from 2011 - and yeah I wasn't sure it will run with GTX1070 but it did.

Just did the same thing brother. Upgraded from a 4790k to a 3800X. Feels good.

Yeah, feels good!
Congratulations!

I know the feeling of booting up the computer after installing new CPU's and coolers. Or flashing BIOS.

aN7zDNd6_700wa_0.gif

Where did you get picture of me from yesterday?

Top Bottom