• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cerny: Devs Don’t Have to Optimize in Any Way for PS5’s Variable Clocks, It’s All Automatic

Kusarigama

Consistent variation.

That's an oxymoron if I ever saw one.
You ever heard about acceleration? A consistent rate of acceleration give increasing velocity.

It's meant to imply that the variation in clocks will be consistent among all PS5 consoles.

Wow, you're insulting the guy. What's so creepy about him? You're being extremely disrespectful. Just because someone isn't loud and extroverted doesn't make them creepy. Learn some respect; the guy is literally a genius.
Thin line between genius and crazy.
Techs stay behind the curtain, they literally make people uneasy. There's a reason marketing and sales staff exist.

Ps5 is 10.3 TFs, EXCEPT when it has a huge workload and draws too much power, it then underclocks itself
Yeah, that would be an intelligent design to put in their system design decision... It would be like a bank robber that breaks when the police sirens start.

Power budget is assigned accordingly in balance with the CPU/GPU according to what is needed by each, this is not as straightforward as a given fixed clock--but it also it made in a way that is predictable and repeatable across consoles.

The package always draws the same power, and the clocks don't have to be lowered much to balance things out --so both the CPU and GPU work in a given power envelope.

When Cerny claims there is no need for optimisation he means no need for "special" optimisations around this architecture (unlike say What happens when you need to access data from the slow pool with the GPU in the series X) probably because it behaves predictably in a given situation.
Techs stay behind the curtain, they literally make people uneasy. There's a reason marketing and sales staff exist.
Microsoft's engineers are pretty good sales people... oops, maybe we have a hint right there.

Last edited:
I thought he made this clear in his Deep Dive presentation, i think certain people only watched until the number "10.3" came on the screen then went to buy a hotdog

Last edited:
but wouldn’t you want the max frequencies during the heaviest workloads?
Well, that's the point, it does it on the GPU/CPU on demand... there is no point in running the processors at full speed all the time.
Yeah this is what's confusing me the most, so when hit with the heaviest rendering tasks i.e. games with better graphics the system gets progressively weaker?
That's what people don't understand, it will balance between CPU and GPU inside a given electric power envelope, even under throttling the clocks would probably not lower their respective speeds by 50 or 100Mhz. When the GPU needs more power, the CPU let it have it, when the CPU needs it the GPU let it have more, most games have bursts that require more performance, and a lot of relatively lower requirements.

What's important is how does the PS5 handles it when both are under pressure at the same time? ... the switches probably happen in milliseconds intervals anyway, so I doubt this is an issue, again, you don't need to lower the clock much to lower power demands on these parts.

No surprise to see the usual Xbox posters come into a PS thread to derail or downplay any of its features. How do you guys have so much Time to be in every PS thread?? Lol I’m baffled.

Last edited:
No surprise to see the usual Xbox posters come into a PS thread to derail or downplay any of its features. How do you guys have so much Time to be in every PS thread?? Lol I’m baffled.

So it’s not okay to discuss the topic at hand? Um. What? Is it just supposed to be an echo chamber of “Hail Sony?”

Where is the derail? People are discussing the power throttling and variable frequencies. Is that okay?

Last edited:
So it’s not okay to discuss the topic at hand? Um. What? Is it just supposed to be an echo chamber of “Hail Sony?”

Where is the derail? People are discussing the power throttling and variable frequencies. Is that okay?

You clearly have selective reading of posts? Not see the shitting on UC4 on the pro a page back? Yeah, clearly sounds like discussing frequencies and throttling to me.

Unless you guys have more knowledge than the system architect of the PS5, this is pointless. 1 camp will back it and 1 camp will downplay it as much as they can. There is no discussing, everyone will agree to disagree till games are shown.

It’s amazing to see peoples minds scrambled on this whole new console design Sony have gone with, you guys only seem to understand power and Tflops as a measure. PS5 Is being designed differently rather than the conventional way.

You clearly have selective reading of posts? Not see the shitting on UC4 on the pro a page back? Yeah, clearly sounds like discussing frequencies and throttling to me.

Unless you guys have more knowledge than the system architect of the PS5, this is pointless. 1 camp will back it and 1 camp will downplay it as much as they can. There is no discussing, everyone will agree to disagree till games are shown.

It’s amazing to see peoples minds scrambled on this whole new console design Sony have gone with, you guys only seem to understand power and Tflops as a measure. PS5 Is being designed differently rather than the conventional way.
No it's not, it's literally just a weaker variant of the GPU/CPU/BUS/RAM combo that is seen in the Series X and throttles downwardly.

There's nothing unconventional, it's not elegant, it's not different architecture, it's just weaker.

Krisprolls

Banned
No it's not, it's literally just a weaker variant of the GPU/CPU/BUS/RAM combo that is seen in the Series X and throttles downwardly.

There's nothing unconventional, it's not elegant, it's not different architecture, it's just weaker.

No, you don't understand anything. The idea is exploiting the maximum you can from the components. Getting more from your money. It operates at constant power budget. You're always sure you get the max you can whatever the workload is. As a bonus, you can handle cooling more easily since power never changes.

Had XSX done the same, they'd get more from their components too. The downside is having profiles for the times where CPU and GPU are both at maximum workload, but that's minimal downside. Of course this design is elegant.

Don't talk about things you don't understand.

Last edited:
No, you don't understand anything. The idea is exploiting the maximum you can from the components. It operates at constant power budget. You're always sure you get the max you can whatever the workload is.

Had XSX done the same, they'd get more from their components too. The downside is having profiles for the times where CPU and GPU are both at maximum workload, but that's minimal downside. Of course this design is elegant.

Don't talk about things you don't understand.
A fixed frequency allows you all the same usage potential at all times, it doesn't have to scale up or scale down, the peak is on tap at any point in time.

Variability doesn't allow you to get more out of anything. This is delusional, if the PlayStation 5 were fixed at 3.5Ghz and 2.23Ghz it would be more capable than either side ever having to scale its workload to fall within power constraints.

I don't understand? You're just making shit up that bears no weight to reality.

Last edited:

Oh my god...WOW

You're avatar's expression is what i imagine you looked like when you typed the above.

Last edited:

There’s no point arguing with me about this, I frankly don’t care lol. I like games and I rather let the games do the talking which is the only way these ‘discussions’ will ever come to an end.

Just sick and tired of seeing the same stuff being discussed without end, it’s a merry go round. Everyone will agree to disagree until games are shown.

And as I said this before, PS5 is being designed differently this time around, until we have a more info into it which I reckon they’re holding for another event, we won’t know it’s true potential, if you’ve watched the latest DF video where Richard talks about the PS5, even he feels as if Sony haven't clearly revealed all.

“There's nothing unconventional, it's not elegant, it's not different architecture, it's just weaker”

I strongly disagree with this, the devs that praised Sony’s designs would have pretty much said what you’re saying, they work on games for a living (unless u do too) but we haven’t had that apart from being told it’s slightly weaker than the xSeX.

I’ve given this analogy before, think of XSeX as a muscle car, throw in a big engine, and if you’ve driven a muscle car you’ll know straight line speeds are great but handling isn’t very good.

Sony’s approach is more of a customised tuned Japanese car with heavy modifications and turbos, good straight line speed but even better handling.

Krisprolls

Banned
A fixed frequency allows you all the same usage potential at all times, it doesn't have to scale up or scale down, the peak is on tap at any point in time.

Variability doesn't allow you to get more out of anything. This is delusional, if the PlayStation 5 were fixed at 3.5Ghz and 2.23Ghz it would be more capable than either side ever having to scale its workload to fall within power constraints.

I don't understand? You're just making shit up that bears no weight to reality.

No, of course it doesn't since YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO PLAN THE COOLING for the max power you' ll need. So you guess beforehand, when you make the console, and you have to chose a less than optimal value for fixed frequencies since YOU CAN NEVER BE SURE WHAT WILL BE THE MAXIMUM POWER DRAW IN FUTURE GAMES.

You have to take a good margin to avoid overheating, unlike with constant power budget.

That's why the PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine, they guessed wrong.

It kills me how nobody understands that. I'm not even a dev, I work in IT security (so on computers). It's actually pretty simple, make an effort.

XSX would easily run higher frequencies if it operated on a fixed power budget.

Last edited:
No, of course it doesn't since YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO PLAN THE COOLING for the max power you' ll need. So you guess beforehand, when you make the console, and you have to chose an inferior value since YOU CAN NEVER BE SURE WHAT WILL BE THE MAXIMUM IN FUTURE GAMES.

You have to take a margin, unlike with constant power budget.

That's why the PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine, they guessed wrong.

It kills me how nobody understands that. I'm not even a dev, I work in IT security (so on computers). It's actually pretty simple, make an effort.
"Xbox Series X is whisper quiet"

"It produces the same audible footprint as the Xbox One X"

Seems they planned their cooling rather effectively.

Krisprolls

Banned
"Xbox Series X is whisper quiet"

"It produces the same audible footprint as the Xbox One X"

Seems they planned their cooling rather effectively.

I don't say the opposite. But they could have higher frequencies with Cerny's solution while still knowing what cooling solution was needed.

Now we must see the downside (profiles and the frequency of those rare max workload on CPU / GPU simultaneously) but don't say it's not elegant. That's a very smart idea, unless the downsides are bigger than what Cerny said.

Last edited:
I don't say the opposite. But they could have higher frequencies with Cerny's solution while still knowing what cooling solution was needed.

Now we must see the downside (profiles and the frequency of those rare max workload on CPU / GPU simultaneously) but don't say it's not elegant. That's a very smart idea, unless the downsides are bigger than what Cerny said.
They could undoubtedly have higher frequencies without Cerny's solution, but it doesn't matter. As it stands it's a powerhouse above its competition already. It doesn't need to introduce convoluted shifting compute metrics, it doesn't need to stress itself in the search of more.

Krisprolls

Banned
They could undoubtedly have higher frequencies without Cerny's solution, but it doesn't matter. As it stands it's a powerhouse above its competition already. It doesn't need to introduce convoluted shifting compute metrics, it doesn't need to stress itself in the search of more.

Well, buyers would get more power for the same selling price, so if downsides are minor, everybody should do it, unless you like to pay more for some reason.

We'll know for sure if Cerny was right in a few years.

Whitecrow

Banned
but wouldn’t you want the max frequencies during the heaviest workloads?
Yeah this is what's confusing me the most, so when hit with the heaviest rendering tasks i.e. games with better graphics the system gets progressively weaker?

Ummm what...
The thing is, if you max out the frequencies and have the heaviest workload, you get the jet-engine effect, and the chance to overheat the system and make it shut down.

That's what PS5 is trying to avoid.

Last edited:

Ashoca

Banned
It still looks flat, the polygonal details are pared down, sorry but even on the X the compromises are obvious.

I inserted two screenshots below, look at the details in the rocks in both games (very few polygons), how the foliage in the trees, the vegetation, and more importantly the lighting.

The snow scene in TLoU (the first one) snow:
the-last-of-us-remastered-ellie-hunting.jpg

People are not happy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom