• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2008 MGS4 Impressions

Some of the weapons ingame.

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004455676.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004519035.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004520582.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004528644.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004546019.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004551831.jpg

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004550409.jpg

That new video looks pretty damn swell.

The other one shows the Stun Knife in action I presume? Snake lays the guy down and there's a slight "ffzzzt" sound and the guy's all "uggghhh".

Dragon

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
Some people are just a little too sensitive around here. The worst thing about PS3 threads aren't the inevitable trolls; they are in every thread no matter what the topic is. It's the 3 pages of bitter defensiveness that follows that annoys me.

What causes the 3 pages of bitter defensiveness? :lol

Greg

FUCK 1080p. Seriously, there is no reason for it.

Lock everything down at 30fps/720p and I'll be perfectly fine.

jett

D-Member
Kaako said:
Variety and options FTMFW.
You don't have to slit their throat, you can just paralyze them and show mercy. *Be a man, do the right thing!

*I doubt anyone will get that reference.

Russel Peters ftw?

Piper Az said:
well, we shall see what kind of neat weapons MGS4 will have.

World-wide sales: MGS2 (7 million) > MGS3 (3.6 million) ... MGS4 (???)
To be honest I don't care how much it sells, because all I know is that I get to play it. Even if MGS4 sells only ten copies, and this is the last game in the series, I will look back upon my years with MG and smile knowing that this is one of the last series that said "fuck you" to market research and took it upon themselves to make a game the way they wanted.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Although the weapon customization sounds awesome, the thing i'm wishing for in MGS4 is better CQC, more badass CQC, hopefully...

It should be really interesting to see how the straight stealth gameplay mixes with all of the weapons that can be used.

As much fun as they are to use I always get the most out of MG games by y'know..actually trying to be stealthy. Granted I suck at it(I've never gotten any of the good rankings in MGS1-3) but damn if it isn't entertaining.

supercake said:
Is it possible to even have a shotgun attachment to a gun in present day, or is this just a future vision that makes sense in the MGS world?

I've never seen a rifle/shotgun hybrid before.

billy-predator.jpg

jett

D-Member
RumFore said:
Edit your pics, you have the same one repeated like 5X.

They are different pics, it's just the guns that look similiar.

And I bet my ass the 1080p mode in MGS4 will be upscaled.

spwolf

Greg said:
FUCK 1080p. Seriously, there is no reason for it.

Lock everything down at 30fps/720p and I'll be perfectly fine.

i dont get it - it will be 30fps/720p for you (unless you have 1080p TV)....

Kyoufu

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh praise the Lord the old ration system is back in.
(Yes I'm doing a hell of a job of keeping up with this game).

I just saw that, wtf. I thought they moved on. :(

spwolf said:
i dont get it - it will be 30fps/720p for you (unless you have 1080p TV)....

Yeah, and overall the game will have made sacrifices for that option of 1080p.

Ditch it. It's completely unnecessary.

Has any game actually reached a native res of 1080p, anyway? (except for a couple of sports games)

WrikaWrek said:
Although the weapon customization sounds awesome, the thing i'm wishing for in MGS4 is better CQC, more badass CQC, hopefully...

CQC is much more advanced to the point that now depending on the weapon you're holding you perform different movies.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
KevinRo said:
wha?

30fps is not acceptable.

60fps or bust.
I'm a framerate whore as well, but to say that 30fps is not acceptable makes you sound like an ignorant person who doesn't know what he's talking about. I think that a SOLID 30fps locked is acceptable whether it'll be @ 720P or 1080P(upscaled). Sure, it would be ideal to have 60fps, but once again a solid locked 30fps is definitely acceptable as well.

Kyoufu said:
I just saw that, wtf. I thought they moved on. :(
Considering what we've seen of the gameplay I really don't think gamers are interested in hiding behind sandbags for five to ten minutes after every little firefight. For the gamers that prefer stealth the ranking system and high amounts of damage for every hit will sway them away from constant ration use.

I'm hoping that there's two different ranking systems, one for stealth and for kicking ass. It's kind of annoying having all these sweet weapons and then having the game say "well sure you can blow everyone up but we'll just tell you you suck at the end."

I especially like the way that soldier hands Snake an item.
"Here you want this?"

::large box of stuff spawns out of his hand::

WrikaWrek

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
CQC is much more advanced to the point that now depending on the weapon you're holding you perform different movies.

Cool. Hopefully i'll be able to pull some jason bourne moves on the game. Those quick, 1,2,3 za you dead man.

Atrophis

I hope those wall and crate textures are temp, they're a bit shoddy looking.

Really nice death anims and ragdolls.

So when's the damn demo :/

WrikaWrek

Banned
Doesn't the knife get in the way when you are using a machine gun?

My brain only started to notice the knife in that pic, while he's holding a machine gun. Doesn't make sense.

replayy said:
A stable 30fps is perfectly acceptable for MGS.
Exactly. Metal Gear Solid 3 was 30 frames, and it was fine.

Anyway, this looks super hot. I'll be sure to get a PlayStation 3, before this comes out.

WrikaWrek said:

My brain only started to notice the knife in that pic, while he's holding a machine gun. Doesn't make sense.
CQC.

Kaervas

Banned
WrikaWrek said:

Nothing gets in the way of Snake.

Nothing.

Nice weapon images.

Good to see they're going for a larger variety. It'd be awesome if they used a weapon-mod system similar to Crysis, too.

KyanMehwulfe said:
Nice weapon images.

Good to see they're going for a larger variety. It'd be awesome if they used a weapon-mod system similar to Crysis, too.
I think it will, actually. I remember seeing a menu system for weapon customization that looked equally extensive.

That was awhile ago.

gogogow said:
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

Ragdoll physics looks awesome!

Game of the forever confirmed!
Don't you just love how, when he head-shots that guy, he just flies back? I mean, a lot of games have done that before. But it's the first time a Metal Gear Solid game has done it.

I like it. A lot. :D

Top Bottom