• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2008 MGS4 Impressions

ukiraros

SolidSnakex said:
6jbeuip.gif

Damn that's awesome.

Dante

Kaako said:
Pretty much. I can't wait to see what Insomniac got up their sleeves with Resistance 2's death animations as well.
This gen will be full of win.

MGS4, KZ2, Resistance 2 in the same year!

*drools

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4

Firewire

Banned
EviLore said:
mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4

:D

Loudninja

EviLore said:
mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 mgs4 MGS4

fix

It's hard to believe I'll get to play this someday. Judging by the videos, so many of my complaints about MGS1-2-3 have been addressed, and MGS3 is my favorite game ever, no contest. So this looks to be, like, better than my favorite game ever. So that's encouraging.

bud

AltogetherAndrews said:
Yes, and I'd give him a wifebeater and a mini-gun too. I like some things about MGS, but the exclamation mark crap isn't one of those things.

in some interview kojima said that he wanted to get rid of those exclamation marks, and let the player know by the movement etc. of the guards that you were spotted. but yeah, they dropped it, just like they probably dropped the destructible environments.

ZeroTolerance

bud said:
in some interview kojima said that he wanted to get rid of those exclamation marks, and let the player know by the movement etc. of the guards that you were spotted. but yeah, they dropped it, just like they probably dropped the destructible environments.

Dont you see shit blowing up all over the place ? This is just a demo ya know. They probably still have it implemented but aren't showing much of it.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
One of the enemies' guns clips through the wall towards the beginning, bummer. But other than that, looking good.

Dante

Mutagenic said:
One of the enemies' guns clips through the wall towards the beginning, bummer. But other than that, looking good.

:lol Hate to break it to you but there's not a game in existance with no clipping.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Dante said:
MGS4, KZ2, Resistance 2 in the same year!

*drools
Believe it or not, I still have my doubts about Resistance 2 being released this year.
But then again, I should know better than to doubt Insomniac given their release record track this gen so far. :D

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
The game visually is looking really good, probably the best yet on a console. Way beyond what I though they could achieve.

solid2snake said:
time for a avatar-change.

main_img.jpg

"What dude, you're asking for a 360 port? not again..."

That is one hell of a sexy man. The shoes people..THE SHOES

MiamiWesker said:
Just saw all the Efor all demo, greatest demo in the history of mankind. I am in awe.

Hmm, is it completely different from the 15 min demo?

Lion Heart said:
That is one hell of a sexy man. The shoes people..THE SHOES

Hmm, is it completely different from the 15 min demo?

It shows some new areas, but mostly the same as that one but the player is much better. Way better gameplay shown in this video than that one.

SamuraiX-

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/844/844078p1.html

Though Kojima Productions and Konami aren't ready to announce a final release date, they did mention to us that we should hear that announcement in late February. As soon as Konami formally announces a date for MGS 4, we'll be sure to let you know, but until then, expect Solid Snake's latest adventure to arrive sometime during Q2, 2008.

Seriously guys, nobody is excited out this? Sometime in late February we may very well be getting the official release date of MGS4! Once they get it down to the day, month, and year, they won't change it again, you can bet on that. I was expecting the announcement to come in late March or April, or even later!

Damn, can't wait for Feb. :D

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Dante said:
:lol Hate to break it to you but there's not a game in existance with no clipping.
I realize this and it certainly won't stop me from enjoying the game. But everyone was impressed how the body didn't clip when it fell over, so it's a shame that the guns have to.

JCBossman

Banned
Stinkles said:
If I had a Sony avatar, my post wouldn't have sounded like a troll to you. It would have sounded like a pithy, throwaway comment about the impressions, not the game. So let me put it in plain english for you.

1. MGS4 looks amazing and I cannot wait to play it on any system. If it's only PS3, that's fine too - I have one.
2. The impressions in the OP are sort of useless and redundant. He says a demo we've all seen looks awesome.

Sometimes when you look into the abyss, you see a troll and he's all champin' his teefs.

Yeah, Stinkles can't be trusted...He was in an OP thread and SHOCKED by someone paying $500 for earbuds, imagine that a Halo 3 guy worried about cash...:D

It looks so freaking good. It's good to hear that we will have an official release date in late February.

The PS3's 2008 line-up is looking pretty damn good.

Wollan

AltogetherAndrews said:
Meh. Killzone 2 will probably excel at selling a shitload of copies of its mediocre self, I'll give it that.
Why do this? I mean, you know you will be wronged right?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
AltogetherAndrews said:
Meh. Killzone 2 will probably excel at selling a shitload of copies of its mediocre self, I'll give it that.
I think this is the part where you quietly get the fuck out of this thread.
I mean seriously, have you played the final retail version of KZ2?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
AltogetherAndrews said:

This thread is testy. I'm bailing out.

PS., I still love MGS4.

Madman

AltogetherAndrews said:
If it's anything like Liberation (which you anti-handheld people will never play anyways) it will be a great experience.

Wollan

Well none of us has played KZ2 yet but absolutely everything they have shown so far + numerous hands on impressions should open some eyes.
They have accomplished incredibly much and way past expectations. Peace.

ZeroTolerance

SamuraiX- said:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/844/844078p1.html

Seriously guys, nobody is excited out this? Sometime in late February we may very well be getting the official release date of MGS4! Once they get it down to the day, month, and year, they won't change it again, you can bet on that. I was expecting the announcement to come in late March or April, or even later!

Damn, can't wait for Feb. :D

It simply means that , the release date will be announced at GDC next month.
I hope they release a demo before though.

Kaako said:
I think this is the part where you quietly get the fuck out of this thread.

Have you ever seen a Haze thread? I'd say Andrews is entitled to do some minor trolling. :p

Kyoufu

Danne-Danger said:
Have you ever seen a Haze thread? I'd say Andrews is entitled to do some minor trolling. :p

There is justification in trolling Haze, which looks mediocre in every way, but KZ2? Give me a fucking break.

Pristine_Condition said:
Well I'll be sure to ignore your review of the game when it comes out, considering you are already slotting it as mediocre, and you haven't even played a demo.

And this is somehow different from people claiming that it will be the wondercrust of wondercake? But you know, believe.

Kyoufu said:
There is justification in trolling Haze, which looks mediocre in every way, but KZ2? Give me a fucking break.

Ah yes, there are for sure no reasons to doubt that the rest of Killzone 2 will measure up to its presentation. :/

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I kinda wish they spent more time on Snake's running/crouch-walking animation... It's probably a stylistic choice, and not due to any lack of ability (its pretty obvious from most of the other animation in the game that they're immensely talented).

Just seems a weird choice to keep his movement so stiff and rigid. You compare it to a game like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (I think a fair comparison) and Snake's basic animation doesn't really measure up well.

The weird thing is that it's just the running and crouching animation that sticks out. Everything else is pretty amazing.

gogogow

Needs more videos of Snake shooting people in the heads!!!!!
I'm so pumped for this game.
Can't wait to play this demo. Hope Konami will announce a PSN Demo date too!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jesus, that MGS4 death animation looks scary. An immediate collapse is just how I imagine real people would drop down dead when shot, and just how they usually don't show it in movies...

That shadow there and no wall clipping also does the trick.

Ploid 3.0

FIREBABY said:
No, seriously. The one thing I've always liked about MGS series is they base their weapons of real ones. I've never heard of this.

MGS world is like a mirror of ours but with the patriots, cloning, supernatural elements, and such. In sort more advanced technology, or rather more focused research in war tech.

Davidion

Kaako said:
I think this is the part when you quietly get the fuck out of this thread.

Has anyone else before they lathered the game in praise?

Quite frankly, MG4 looks much more interesting than KZ2. As for those who disagree, I'm sure they'll be expeditious in using experiences of the provenly innovative actual gameplay beyond a couple of screen shots and movies to prove me wrong.

Anyways, back on topic. Is there any news on the story? I always liked the MGS universe and its art even though I was never a big fan of stealth games. All the talk about the development of warfare with corporations exploiting nanotechnology to advance war as a business gets me a little hot under the collars.

Top Bottom