• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2008 MGS4 Impressions

VonGak!

Banned
recklessmind said:
I kinda wish they spent more time on Snake's running/crouch-walking animation... It's probably a stylistic choice, and not due to any lack of ability (its pretty obvious from most of the other animation in the game that they're immensely talented).

Just seems a weird choice to keep his movement so stiff and rigid. You compare it to a game like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (I think a fair comparison) and Snake's basic animation doesn't really measure up well.

The weird thing is that it's just the running and crouching animation that sticks out. Everything else is pretty amazing.

I can only agree, it feels almost like an action doll running around which rather breaks the illusion for me when the other animations are so good.

The same goes for the rather static floating gun 1'st person view. I hope they'll make it more like the first trailer.

Madman

Well, this thread has fallen apart. Be back after bickering ends. Can't we all just get along and not troll the shit out of games? Just a thought.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Games are like women. Fact is, Killzone looks fine as silk, and that's more than enough for pre release sneak peak at the goods.

Haze however, looks rotten, sure the personality might be amazing once you get to know it, but right now, heh, you wouldn't pick it from a line up.

VonGak! said:
The same goes for the rather static floating gun 1'st person view. I hope they'll make it more like the first trailer.

Ryan mentioned that the reason for the aiming in FP is because that's what their military supervisor suggested. Not that it means they won't change it but as of now that's the reason behind the look.

Foil

Dante said:
MGS4, KZ2, Resistance 2 in the same year!

*drools

I wonder if Naughty Dog will get a game out in 2008 as well? They've been good at getting quality stuff out mostly every year.

WinFonda

MGS4 is awesome beyond reproach. Trolls know that.

Do us all a favor and don't mention Killzone 2 in a MGS4 thread because Killzone 2, no matter how much it proves itself, is a much easier target "lol sucky dev game sucks" It's a battle that doesn't need to be fought, GAF!

recklessmind said:
I kinda wish they spent more time on Snake's running/crouch-walking animation... It's probably a stylistic choice, and not due to any lack of ability (its pretty obvious from most of the other animation in the game that they're immensely talented).

Just seems a weird choice to keep his movement so stiff and rigid. You compare it to a game like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (I think a fair comparison) and Snake's basic animation doesn't really measure up well.

The weird thing is that it's just the running and crouching animation that sticks out. Everything else is pretty amazing.

I concur....I remeber when I first saw the anims, I was saying to myself "hope this is just place holder"

...seems not the case. But I too respect that is most certainly a stylistic choice

SamuraiX-

ZeroTolerance said:
It simply means that , the release date will be announced at GDC next month.
I hope they release a demo before though.

I think GDC is in early February though...

Anyway, if you've been listening to the Kojima Productions Report, you'd know that a demo is just seeming more and more unlikely. To me, that is a very good thing. When I play MGS4 for the first time... it will really be for the first time, you know? I remember I played the MGS3 demo so much that the first hour of the final game just bore me.

VonGak!

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Ryan mentioned that the reason for the aiming in FP is because that's what their military supervisor suggested. Not that it means they won't change it but as of now that's the reason behind the look.

Oh I got no issue with the angle, it's more that the grip/aim is so inhumanly rigid/stiff which is very unrealistic.

SolidSnakex said:

Yeah, I hope it isn't completely locked in iron-sight like that for FPS. The TGS 05 trailer showed they can get the look down incredible well for a team not known for FPS.

Paracelsus

Tom Penny said:
I wonder it this game will sell over a million copies?

I think that's obvious. The real question is "how long will it take for it to hit one million copies sold"

Konami asked for a day one miracle, i think that "one million in a week" is already utopia.

BigBoss

Paracelsus said:
I think that's obvious. The real question is "how long will it take for it to hit one million copies sold"

Konami asked for a day one miracle, i think that "one million in a week" is already utopia.

Ryan said he was misquoted.

Davidion

Paracelsus said:

I don't think a million on day one would be anywhere near impossible given a worldwide release.

WinFonda

Davidion said:
I don't think a million on day one would be anywhere near impossible given a worldwide release.
A lot of people forget that. But the game will be judged based on it's NPDs regardless.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah, I hope it isn't completely locked in iron-sight like that for FPS. The TGS 05 trailer showed they can get the look down incredible well for a team not known for FPS.

I agree, that TGS 05 aiming model was perfect. I think the look of the FP view was the only thing people seemed to dislike, so that'll probably be an area they address. It'll be nice for those that'll use that view, i'll personally be fine with the regular 3rd person cam and the over the shoulder aiming system.

J-Rzez

AltogetherAndrews said:
Meh. Killzone 2 will probably excel at selling a shitload of copies of its mediocre self, I'll give it that.

I would give this a nod because KZ IMHO, was mediocre. But things have changed:

1. Liberation was great
2. GG being first party
3. Sony knowing how much is riding on this game due to the image they created for it with that trailer.

Believe it or not, I think this game is what's going to win over the hardest PS3 doubters and fence sitters out there. MGS4 is looking godly and such, but it's just that KZ2 has been put as the poster child of the PS3 since that trailer debacle. Funny thing is, visually it's actually coming damn close to a CGI movie lol.

Anyways, KZ2 and now after watching that clip MGS4 also has some of the best death animations i've ever seen. They're disturbingly satisfying :D (but nod to KZ2 for that beautifully artistic euphoric experience inducing blood)

Ploid 3.0

6u5bmrn.jpg

The textures and animations leave a little to be desired but the overall look is great.
PS3 GOTY no question (if Ico Team doesn't come out of nowhere).

ZeroTolerance

abacab driver said:
The textures and animations leave a little to be desired but the overall look is great.
PS3 GOTY no question (if Ico Team doesn't come out of nowhere).

Oh actually they have already hinted on their blog that, their game will be unveiled at TGS and is due out next year. So no problems there. :D

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but another thing that needs to be addressed (and the series true Achilles' heel) is the AI. If I can see a sentry from across the room, I want them to be able to see me.

They're beastly genome soldiers of the future after-all.

fanduck

So for those that loved MGS, liked MGS2 and hated MGS3 (I doubt I'm the only one), what are we going to think about MGS4?

Your not going to get a real idea of how good or bad the AI is from any of these videos since they're all going to be set on a setting that allows people to enjoy the demo.

fanduck said:
So for those that loved MGS, liked MGS2 and hated MGS3 (I doubt I'm the only one), what are we going to think about MGS4?

I doubt anyone could tell you. Hell I find it hard to fathom that people could like MGS and MGS2 but hate MGS3. It doesn't make sense to me. But oh well.

Top Bottom