• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2008 MGS4 Impressions

VonGak!

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
6u5bmrn.jpg
LOL, outstanding

Begin on a webcomic

antiloop

biggersmaller said:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but another thing that needs to be addressed (and the series true Achilles' heel) is the AI. If I can see a sentry from across the room, I want them to be able to see me.

They're beastly genome soldiers of the future after-all.

You are clearly not an MGS fan.

I haven't played one game this year with good AI. Maybe one or two with average AI but all of them have faults.

I don't mind improvements. But I also like how the enemies behave in MGS games. They have that special charm

VonGak!

Banned
When did AI in MGS games become bad? :S That claim is beyond me as I have always enjoyed playing around with the flexibility of the AI in MGS titles (it's a huge aspect of the game-play).

Anyway, it's clearly no worse than AI featured in other stealth titles.

Jenga

Banned
Yoboman said:
Why would that happen?
Coming off of next year, many people got the impression reviewers gave out too many 10s. Some reviewers will probably see this and underscore games in the pursuit of looking more...trustworthy I guess in awarding "perfect" scores.

Jenga said:
Coming off of next year, many people got the impression reviewers gave out too many 10s. Some reviewers will probably see this and underscore games in the pursuit of looking more...trustworthy I guess in awarding "perfect" scores.
Well, it's a good thing that all the games that got 10's in 2007 fully deserved them, or you might have a point here.

Jenga

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Well, it's a good thing that all the games that got 10's in 2007 fully deserved them, or you might have a point here.
*shrug*

Just merely repeating the explanation I've heard from those people who think that.

Does the camera still focus on Snake's ass cheeks when he's crawling? That was by far the most disturbing thing about the gameplay video that was up on PSN. I can't really imagine playing the game in front of other people if his cheeks are still that clearly defined.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
revolverjgw said:
variety of locales around the world so I'd expect them all to have their own dominant color schemes and filters.
I expect the entire world to look like what we've seen. I'd even say we have already seen different locales.
Normally I would not be so pessimistic about a MGS game, but MGS:pO also had "different locales", all of which ended looking basically the same (boring and generic colorless buildings).
I will be more than happy to be proven wrong, but meanwhile I wouldn't be getting my hopes up...

Yoboman

Gold Member
I love the Praying Mantis propoganda voice in that video. It surprises me, that's a very Western sort of design, I hope there is a lot more stuff like that in MGS4 :D

BigBoss

DKnight said:
I expect the entire world to look like what we've seen. I'd even say we have already seen different locales.
Normally I would not be so pessimistic about a MGS game, but MGS:pO also had "different locales", all of which ended looking basically the same (boring and generic colorless buildings).
I will be more than happy to be proven wrong, but meanwhile I wouldn't be getting my hopes up...

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070920004511660.jpg

Different enough?

Onemic

Oh man I NEED to get a damn PS3 now!!! I spent all of my December money on a 360 and I'll be spending all of my January money on rock band. February-March will finally be the time I'll be able to save up for a damn ps3!

armubaba

I don't get the Stinkles hate, but whatever. The game looks amazing nonetheless. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Ashhong

Stinkles said:
Does this confirm what I'm not allowed to say I think it confirms?

Shouldn't you be busy at work on yet another installment of the series that I think you're working on that I think I'm allowed to say?

Wait...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
armubaba said:
I don't get the Stinkles hate, but whatever. The game looks amazing nonetheless. I cannot wait to get my hands on it.

One kid thought I was trolling because I worked on an Xbox game, and assumed I was emotionally invested, but didn't bother to read what I wrote. Dogpile ensued. Meanwhile all my MGS4 lovin' falls on deaf ears. Then I teamed up with Altogether Andrews to evacuate the thread, but I didn't really go.

kay

I will be disappointed by almost every other game after playing this.

Any word on whether the crawling animation is still focused on Snake's disturbingly well-defined butt cheeks?

You mean the Tomb Raider effect

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Green Shinobi said:
Any word on whether the crawling animation is still focused on Snake's disturbingly well-defined butt cheeks?

Post it a third time please.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Green Shinobi said:

I hope my cheeks are that well defined when I am 50+

Onemic

I wonder if there's really going to be any meaning behind the names of the women bosses you face, since they are all derived from the original MGS bosses.(Except Octopus as he died basically at the beginning of the game)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
onemic said:
I wonder if there's really going to be any meaning behind the names of the women bosses you face, since they are all derived from the original MGS bosses.(Except Octopus as he died basically at the beginning of the game)

I think it more of a citazionist thing. But maybe the Patriots are on something here o_O

JB1981

damn that video on youtube is nice.

looks like the most visceral mgs to date.

still not sure about the 'cover' mechanics - wish you could slam into things ala gears/uncharted.

i think i'm going to buy a new tv, sound system for this game

hopefully these new sets from CES will be rolling out right around then!

Onemic

JB1981 said:
still not sure about the 'cover' mechanics - wish you could slam into things ala gears/uncharted.

This isn't an action game though. Why the hell would snake slam onto wall? it just doesn't make sense for the type of game they're aiming for.

JB1981

onemic said:
This isn't an action game though. Why the hell would snake slam onto wall? it just doesn't make sense for the type of game they're aiming for.

makes sense if, you know, want to take cover and are getting shot at - a lot

Fucking HYPED. The animation and the lighting look freaking awesome! I can't wait to roll around in this virtual sandbox created just for Snake and to witness the conclusion to the greatest action videogame character ever.
Game of the Generation right here!

FFChris

fanduck said:
So for those that loved MGS, liked MGS2 and hated MGS3 (I doubt I'm the only one), what are we going to think about MGS4?

I'm in that catagory, and I like the look of MGS4. I like the open world style, I like the fact that you don't have to be switching camo every few seconds and I like the weapons and setting. I don't like the FPS style aiming though.

None of that really bothered me in MGS3 though, I just hated the bosses, the dull camo/eating parts of the game and the endless cutscenes. So the parts that turned me off MGS3 we haven't seen yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Lots of what I've seen though is extremely impressive.

MGS was always about the bosses for me though, get those right and you're on to a winner.

SuperCat said:
It's the middle-east and they all talk with American accents? Fuck off.

If it makes you happy Ryan was in the recording studio a few weeks ago recording voices with accents. Although i'm not sure exactly where they'll be used.

Yoboman

Gold Member
JB1981 said:
damn that video on youtube is nice.

looks like the most visceral mgs to date.

i think i'm going to buy a new tv, sound system for this game

hopefully these new sets from CES will be rolling out right around then!
How does it work now?

If they made it too much like Gears, there'd be nothing stopping you from playing it like Gears

It's still a stealth game

Top Bottom