• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 7: Katy Perry, Football Goddess. Everyone else, Cougin It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Is Driskhamp fired yet

CuXTXey.gif

Nope

Speaking of Florida State, this is the remaining schedule

vs. Notre Dame (this week)
vs. bye (trap game)
@ Louisville (Oct 30 - Thursday night)
vs. Virginia (Nov 8)
@ Miami (Nov 15)
vs. Boston College (Nov 22)
vs. Florida (Nov 29)
*ACC Championship Game (???) (Charlotte, Dec 6)

These next two are likely the toughest, even including who they might face if they make it to Charlotte. I've stated it all year, but I still don't like their chances if they drop any of the remaining games on the schedule, "defending" champs or not. They haven't looked good (relatively speaking) all year, they're not passing the eye test, and they're already taking hits in the polls (and deservedly so). Lose a game? I think other Power 5 one loss teams would get consideration ahead of Florida State in that case.

Of course, with Jameis Winston, who knows what will happen.

Sotha_Sil

These next two are likely the toughest, even including who they might face if they make it to Charlotte. I've stated it all year, but I still don't like their chances if they drop any of the remaining games on the schedule, "defending" champs or not. They haven't looked good (relatively speaking) all year, they're not passing the eye test, and they're already taking hits in the polls (and deservedly so). Lose a game? I think other Power 5 one loss teams would get consideration ahead of Florida State in that case.

I think that's a pretty ridiculous standard to hold them to. Any team that goes on a run like this (22 straight wins now) will tell you it gets harder and harder with each win. Whether it's a matter of complacency on the team, other teams giving you their best shot every week, or just luck finally going against you, the run will end at some point.

They've got 8 ACC games and one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country (#6 Notre Dame, #15 Okie St, Gata), and presumably the ACC championship game. I don't see how a 12-1 Florida St team gets left out with the reigning championship coach and Heisman winner.

Draxal

Err, let's talk about the post season in another month or so, as I don't think anybody of us has Miss St as number 1 in the country in the preseason. Still got a ton of conference play left for the season.

I think that's a pretty ridiculous standard to hold them to. Any team that goes on a run like this (22 straight wins now) will tell you it gets harder and harder with each win. Whether it's a matter of complacency on the team, other teams giving you their best shot every week, or just luck finally going against you, the run will end at some point.

They've got 8 ACC games and one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country (#6 Notre Dame, #15 Okie St, Gata), and presumably the ACC championship game. I don't see how a 12-1 Florida St team gets left out with the reigning championship coach and Heisman winner.

They've already been passed in the polls -- twice -- without losing a game. Lose one? It doesn't matter how many they've won in a row or that they won the title last year. They've been scraping by this season, the pollsters have noticed, and they'll be out of the top 4. Naturally, if bedlam occurs in other conferences, they could get back in, but the path is difficult, since the one marquee game left is this week.

All this is, of course, hypothetical, as Florida State has not lost. If they keep winning, then it's academic. If they lose and get left out, there's not much room for complaint. Whether it's 2 teams, 4 teams, or more, the goal is still to go out there and win every game and turn the committee's decision into a rubber stamp.

Draxal

They've already been passed in the polls -- twice -- without losing a game. Lose one? It doesn't matter how many they've won in a row or that they won the title last year. They've been scraping by this season, the pollsters have noticed, and they'll be out of the top 4. Naturally, if bedlam occurs in other conferences, they could get back in, but the path is difficult, since the one marquee game left is this week.

All this is, of course, hypothetical, as Florida State has not lost. If they keep winning, then it's academic. If they lose and get left out, there's not much room for complaint. Whether it's 2 teams, 4 teams, or more, the goal is still to go out there and win every game and make the committee's decision a rubber stamp.

Well assuming FSU has only one loss (let's say ND). I still think they're in.

Big 12 has no shot with a 1 game loss due to no conference champ game.
FSU would trump over a Big 10 of Pac 12 one loss candidate.
Sec might only get one team in.

but like I said, so much conference play with so many surprises this year already.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well assuming FSU has only one loss (let's say ND). I still think they're in.

Big 12 has no shot with a 1 game loss due to no conference champ game.
FSU would trump over a Big 10 of Pac 12 one loss candidate.
Sec might only get one team in.

but like I said, so much conference play with so many surprises this year already.

I wouldn't say the Big 12 has NO shot. OU, BU, KSU, and OSU all have at least 3 top 20 teams left on their schedules and are all currently ranked in the top 15; if anybody comes out of that with just one loss I can easily see them being top 5 or 6 if not top 4, particularly since every team other than BU already has their one loss so any of OU, OSU, and KSU would get the "better to lose early than lose late" boost. Two of those three losses were also to teams that were in the national championship game last season. The Big 12 may not have a CCG, but would a B1G CCG win over Minnesota or a second win over Nebraska really boost a team like Michigan State all that much?

I think a one loss Big 12 team would get in over a one loss Notre Dame, but I don't think they would get in over a one loss FSU, if for no other reason than FSU's MNC and Heisman last season. Put a one loss OU or BU against a one loss 2014 FSU in a vacuum and I bet they would get the nod due to FSU's conference schedule, but the title from last season is going to get FSU the benefit of the doubt.

Best outcome for the Big 12 in all of this is FSU totally destroying Notre Dame this weekend.

Draxal

I wouldn't say the Big 12 has NO shot. OU, BU, KSU, and OSU all have at least 3 top 20 teams left on their schedules and are all currently ranked in the top 15; if anybody comes out of that with just one loss I can easily see them being top 5 or 6 if not top 4, particularly since every team other than BU already has their one loss so any of OU, OSU, and KSU would get the "better to lose early than lose late" boost. Two of those three losses were also to teams that were in the national championship game last season.

I think a one loss Big 12 team would get in over a one loss Notre Dame, but I don't think they would get in over a one loss FSU, if for no other reason than FSU's MNC and Heisman last season. Put a one loss OU or BU against a one loss 2014 FSU in a vacuum and I bet they would get the nod due to FSU's conference schedule, but the title from last season is going to get FSU the benefit of the doubt.

Best outcome for the Big 12 in all of this is FSU totally destroying Notre Dame this weekend.

The weak ooc also really hurts the Big 12 (sans Xerox State).

Florida State: Florida, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Citadel.
Oklahoma, Tennessee, Tulsa, Ltech
Baylor: SMU, Northwestern St, Buffalo
TCU: Minnesota, Samford, SMU.

I just don't see a one loss b12 team making it over any other 1 loss power conference champ. Let's say if Baylor loses to Oklahoma, do they deserve in over a one loss Oregon/Sparty/FSU with that ooc and playing one less game overall, I just don't see it.

ND will probably get in over a one loss Baylor/TCU but I don't see them getting over Okie.

Last year's championship is reward enough for last year's team. It shouldn't mean a thing for this year. It helped get Florida State the preseason #1, and helps them still be at #2 despite not looking anything like last year's team, but it's losing significance every week. At the end of the year, I don't know why it should make any difference. If they look like a top 4 team, put them in. If not, leave them out.

Florida State's job, again, is to make it easy -- win every game. Lose one, I think there are as many as 6 teams* that could reasonably be ahead of them by the end of the year, and that from among as many as 10 candidates (some of which will play each other and knock one another off -- the SEC west, Oklahoma vs. Baylor, SEC CCG, etc.).

(*Undefeated SECW team, 1-loss SECW runner up, undefeated Notre Dame, undefeated Baylor or 1-loss Oklahoma, 1-loss Michigan State, 1-loss Oregon. Other candidates -- 1-loss Georgia, would replace 1-loss SECW runner up.)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Lol @ a Tennessee Fan holding onto a photo of Nkemdiche taking a hit from a bong, all season long, until the week Tennessee plays Ole Miss. It's from August apparently.

BzzQaQBCMAEkz0m.jpg

Sounds like Ole Miss is "investigating"

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The weak ooc also really hurts the Big 12 (sans Xerox State).

Florida State: Florida, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State, Citadel.
Oklahoma, Tennessee, Tulsa, Ltech
Baylor: SMU, Northwestern St, Buffalo
TCU: Minnesota, Samford, SMU.

I just don't see a one loss b12 team making it over any other 1 loss power conference champ. Let's say if Baylor loses to Oklahoma, do they deserve in over a one loss Oregon/Sparty/FSU with that ooc and playing one less game overall, I just don't see it.

ND will probably get in over a one loss Baylor/TCU but I don't see them getting over Okie.

As things stand now, though, if I'm competing for the playoffs I'd probably rather have the Big 12's conference schedule than the B1G's conference schedule or FSU's non-conference schedule. A one loss Big 12 team should end up with more games against, and wins against, ranked teams than either.

All I'm saying is that a one loss Big 12 champion doesn't have NO chance. One loss FSU will still get in over them, we agree there, but I don't think a team like Michigan State, for example, getting a second win over Nebraska in a CCG would be an insurmountable obstacle.

andycapps

What they did last year shouldn't affect how voters will see them if they drop a game to a bad team. If they lose close to a team that's ranked, they may have a shot. But the ACC is horrible, the Gatas aren't going to be a quality win this year, we'll see about Notre Dame and OSU.

Lol @ a Tennessee Fan holding onto a photo of Nkemdiche taking a hit from a bong, all season long, until the week Tennessee plays Ole Miss. It's from August apparently.

BzzQaQBCMAEkz0m.jpg

Sounds like Ole Miss is "investigating"

I guess you have to appreciate the little things when you're a Tennessee fan these days.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Speaking of Florida State, this is the remaining schedule

vs. Notre Dame (this week)
vs. bye (trap game)
@ Louisville (Oct 30 - Thursday night)
vs. Virginia (Nov 8)
@ Miami (Nov 15)
vs. Boston College (Nov 22)
vs. Florida (Nov 29)
*ACC Championship Game (???) (Charlotte, Dec 6)

Of course, with Jameis Winston, who knows what will happen.

FSU needs to watch out for UVA and Louisville. UVA is very good and Louisville isn't quite a Petrino scoring machine yet, but they're going to be up for the 'noles. Not sure what to make of BC. They play fantastic on some games and awful in others.

FSU needs to watch out for UVA and Louisville. UVA is very good and Louisville isn't quite a Petrino scoring machine yet, but they're going to be up for the 'noles. Not sure what to make of BC. They play fantastic on some games and awful in others.

The road game at Louisville could be more dangerous than the home game with Notre Dame. Plus, that's almost 3 weeks away... and who knows what will happen with Jameis Winston between now and then.

I'm giving FSU the benefit of the doubt in all the rest, given that the only remaining road game after Louisville is at Miami.

FSU needs to watch out for UVA and Louisville. UVA is very good and Louisville isn't quite a Petrino scoring machine yet, but they're going to be up for the 'noles. Not sure what to make of BC. They play fantastic on some games and awful in others.[

The most dangerous game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom