• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 7: Katy Perry, Football Goddess. Everyone else, Cougin It.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxal

2002 when you had sandwich tossing the pigskin around was the last time you were ranked , maybe this year you can break the school record for highest ranking which is 10th. The year you went 12-0 with chad pennington and still had to play byu in the motor city bowl lol

As for Penn St. loss, fucking sucks. But really cant say im mad. Just because the things changed for us, didnt change this team and shouldnt change my expectations. Going in I knew things were still going to be a process and we'd struggle to get to the 6-7 win mark. We just gotta collect some recruits and build up the team depth and talent pool

You mean get as many juco and fifth year grad tranfers on the o line asap.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I did pretty well in pick ems except that I was expecting both Miss St and Ole Miss to have let downs this week. It wasn't too hard to imagine Auburn pulling out some shit to win in Starkville and I just thought Ole Miss would be flat after beating Bama, and then overwhelmed on Kyle field.

I hope when the egg bowl comes around in November that both teams have no more than 1 loss and are still in the playoff hunt.

Jhriad

I did pretty well in pick ems except that I was expecting both Miss St and Ole Miss to have let downs this week. It wasn't too hard to imagine Auburn pulling out some shit to win in Starkville and I just thought Ole Miss would be flat after beating Bama, and then overwhelmed on Kyle field.

Pretty much what I thought was going to happen as well.

So, uh, our worst week drops, right? *shudder*

Count me in as another one expecting Ole Miss and MSU to have letdowns this week. I have no explanation for the rest of my disastrous picks, though.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
So what are people expecting today as far as the SEC echo chamber goes?

1. Miss St. (good win)
2. Ole Miss (good win)
3. Florida State (they basically beat a pop-warner team)
4. Auburn (I mean, hey, they lost to a team that would probably win the NFC South right?)
5. Baylor (great win against a really good team keeps them treading water)
6. Alabama (you beat even an awful SEC team by a point that is worth moving up a rung)
7. Notre Dame (gets moved down one because nobody cares)
8. Michigan St. (its tough but you can't move up unless you are an SEC team or someone in front of you who isn't in the SEC loses)
9. Georgia (everyone saw them dismantle an SEC TEAM YOU KNOW)
10. Oklahoma (because there isn't an SEC team in the next few slots that could have jumped them)

Enfinit

I have family in town, so if you have an idea run with it. Otherwise I'll make it later.

It's all you this week, unless someone else is up for it. I can probably get it to late tonight or tomorrow. If someone can get it up before then, feel free.

jakncoke

Banned
"The Bulldogs are the first team in the poll's 78-year history to go from unranked to No. 1 in five weeks. The previous mark was six weeks by Ohio State in 1954."

SEC SEC SEC

Piggus

Wewt, back in the top 10. Just need some losses ahead of us and some good luck/playing going forward. A good performance against Stanford would be nice.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
AP Poll:
1. Mississippi State
2. Florida State
3. Ole Miss
4. Baylor
5. Notre Dame
6. Auburn
7. Alabama
8. Michigan State
9. Oregon
10. Georgia

echoECHOechoechoECHOECHOechoECHOeh

Yeah, total bullshit. In any other conference that same result would have moved #3 up to #2 and #2 down to #11. SEC rankings are a season long aggregation of these sorts of advantages. Every win in the entire damn conference is overly rewarded and every loss isn't punished. So with dozens of games aggregating these biases means a crapload of them in the top 20.

ECHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We're probably going to have to put my dog down tomorrow. She's a yellow lab and she's been with us for over 13 years. She's still healthy internally but her hips are pretty much gone entirely. She's been covered in lumps and tumors and things for a year and a half or so now. The kicker was last night when she just couldn't get up under her own power anymore. We've been having to help her get her hind legs under her so she can stand/walk. She can't get up to go to the bathroom anymore.

Anyway, this really fucking sucks. I didn't want to make a thread on the main OT about it, but I wanted to post it somewhere.

Talon

We're probably going to have to put my dog down tomorrow. She's a yellow lab and she's been with us for over 13 years. She's still healthy internally but her hips are pretty much gone entirely. She's been covered in lumps and tumors and things for a year and a half or so now. The kicker was last night when she just couldn't get up under her own power anymore. We've been having to help her get her hind legs under her so she can stand/walk. She can't get up to go to the bathroom anymore.

Anyway, this really fucking sucks. I didn't want to make a thread on the main OT about it, but I wanted to post it somewhere.
Sorry to hear that, man. Saying goodbye to a dog is one of the worst parts of life. :|

Limedust

Sorry to hear this, though I think you are making the correct decision.

andycapps

Sorry man, losing a pet is rough. Hang in there.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I have two beagle mixes over 11 years old. They are still active but both of them have cysts and one of them has a hard time going up and down the 4 stairs into our rec room where they sleep inside. I wonder about the ethics of putting down a dog in this issue. Sometimes its clear cut, but other times, like TTKs or me in a few years when they seem happy but can;t move well....do I really want to put them to death? I understand that walking can hurt, but dogs also don't process pain like humans do. How do I know that they aren't really happy despite the discomfort? If it were, I wouldn't want to be put in the big sleep because I can't move without it hurting really bad.

Not trying to make TTk feel guilty, its just something I don't have a good conviction on.

Subitai

So sorry. The better the pet, the harder it is when they eventually go.

Cyclone Football @CycloneFB
#Cyclones going for Gold on Saturday. #LoyalForeverTrue pic.twitter.com/nHp1UnQd8p
Bzb5wK9CQAMKz_X.jpg

McDonald's ✔ @McDonaldsCorp
Follow
@cyclonefb We think your new unis look pretty sharp! #cyclones
3:02 PM - 8 Oct 2014

Karl2177

Cyclone Football @CycloneFB
#Cyclones going for Gold on Saturday. #LoyalForeverTrue pic.twitter.com/nHp1UnQd8p
Bzb5wK9CQAMKz_X.jpg

McDonald's ✔ @McDonaldsCorp
Follow
@cyclonefb We think your new unis look pretty sharp! #cyclones
3:02 PM - 8 Oct 2014

They look horrible in those pictures. In person, they looked surprisingly good.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

I have two beagle mixes over 11 years old. They are still active but both of them have cysts and one of them has a hard time going up and down the 4 stairs into our rec room where they sleep inside. I wonder about the ethics of putting down a dog in this issue. Sometimes its clear cut, but other times, like TTKs or me in a few years when they seem happy but can;t move well....do I really want to put them to death? I understand that walking can hurt, but dogs also don't process pain like humans do. How do I know that they aren't really happy despite the discomfort? If it were, I wouldn't want to be put in the big sleep because I can't move without it hurting really bad.

Not trying to make TTk feel guilty, its just something I don't have a good conviction on.

I hear you. We've been struggling with it a lot because of those facts, but as long as she was able to get around we figured it was fine. But now her life is basically laying in one spot and hoping somebody comes and pets her. She needs us to help her get up, and she doesn't even want to stand for more than 10 seconds or so. She falls regularly while she walks. There are times she wants to get up, and she gets her front paws up, realizes she can't do it, then just lays back down. It's heartbreaking.

Since we're not always in the house taking care of her, it just doesn't seem right to force her to live such a life. And rather than feel selfish for putting her down, I'd feel more selfish for forcing her to live this way.

It's a tough decision, as you say, though. We just have to make a choice and believe in it, I guess.

jjasper

FFS the SEC Echo Chamber drives me insane.

It's the SID poll, I know... But still.

TCU still deserves to be in the top 10.

I still think the whole problem stems for dumb dumb dumb preseason polls and all of this stems from South Carolina and LSU being way overrated to start the year cause people rank teams without having played a game to know LSU is probably a 7-5 team and South Carolina a 5-7/6-6 team. Teams get huge bumps for beating a team way overrated in the preseason and never punished when 3 weeks later we see that team they beat sucks.

andycapps

I still think the whole problem stems for dumb dumb dumb preseason polls and all of this stems from South Carolina and LSU being way overrated to start the year cause people rank teams without having played a game to know LSU is probably a 7-5 team and South Carolina a 5-7/6-6 team. Teams get huge bumps for beating a team way overrated in the preseason and never punished when 3 weeks later we see that team they beat sucks.

I don't think they should do rankings until 1/3 of the season has been played, but it's nice to want things, I guess.

andycapps

More or less are with new committee. It will be interesting to see if theyre influenced by them.

Unless they can somehow ignore all the commentary while watching the games and sports coverage throughout the week, I don't think it's possible for them to be unaffected by it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if someone starts a rumor that Notre Dame has WMDs on their campus Condi Rice will keep them out of the playoff.

More likely, they will just decide to hold all playoff games in Notre Dame's stadium as part of their ongoing investigation. This requirement will allow ND to move on to the finals whether they win or lose the first game. The crowd will be populated 100% by Notre Dame fans so authorities "can keep an eye on them."

Maybe if someone starts a rumor that Notre Dame has WMDs on their campus Condi Rice will keep them out of the playoff.

They'll either play their way into or out of the playoff, starting this week at Florida State. Win that game and all the rest, they'll earn the right to be throttled by the SEC, same as anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom