• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chained Echoes - 16bit RPG Kickstarter (Gif warning)

Fbh

6c5efd0506cdeed8a2d3e2259041ffee_original.gif

I don't usually care too much about Kickstarter projects but this looks cool. Unlike a lot of other project they (or he, as it mostly seems to be the work of one guy so far) seem to already have put a lot of work into it and they have actual gameplay to show rather than just concept art. The stretch goals are also grounded and realistic (it's a Ps4 and Switch port and more language options) instead of ton of features and content and free DLC that's probably going to take them way over budget

Key features
  • 20-25 hours of play time
  • Fast paced turn-based battles
  • No random encounters; enemies can be seen running around
  • Tons of items to be looted, stolen or crafted
  • Complex skill and equipment system
  • Customize your own airship
  • Travel and fight by foot or in your Mech
  • 16-bit SNES style graphics
  • Music inspired by PSX RPGs
Chained Echoes combines the simplicity of classic games with modern gameplay to bring an epic and fast-paced adventure to PC, Mac and Linux in a little over 2 years. A Nintendo Switch and Playstation 4 version will be simultaneously released if the corresponding stretch goal is reached (in this case you will be able to switch the platform of your digital copy to Switch or PS4 after the campaign's end). Please keep in mind that even if the stretch goal is not reached, a Nintendo Switch and Playstation 4 port might come at a later point in time .

bfe55243fd74fa0556f26de7b2618067_original.gif

3da48036c47fb13fd91a380e5f0f0537_original.gif

9ca0f3f7f3d0ad5101ead10ea5576ecf_original.gif

As always remember that your Kickstarter pledge is more of a donation than a super early pre order. The game might very well be delayed, cancelled or fail to deliver on everything that it's promising

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
“16 bit”

Anyway, to be honest, I really don’t like those character designs. They look lame. But, if it plays good, I’ll give it a look.

Fbh

“16 bit”

Anyway, to be honest, I really don’t like those character designs. They look lame. But, if it plays good, I’ll give it a look.

Yeah the character design for the main cast looks boring and generic, it definitely could have used a more varied party like Chrono Trigger.
But the world and enemies look good IMO

zeorhymer

I think he's doing too much and will end up either burning out or cutting out a chunk of the game. Also, I'm not feeling it with the character designs.

Exentryk

There is a demo available on GOG and Steam. Spent a couple of hours on this.

Pros:
  • Lovely art-style
  • Interesting combat with Overdrive mechanic
  • Beautiful UI
  • Nice music
  • Hidden stuff is cool
Cons:
  • Random enemies take too long to kill (tweak HP)
  • It would be nice to press a button and see clearly what each buff/debuff does during combat. For example, press start and a page pops up with more details on active buffs/debuffs for both party and enemies.
  • The female character takes a while to get back to position after that special wind attack. Game waits for her to return and then progresses. This needing to wait is annoying. Also present in other parts of game (for example, when the new character was walking in for his intro in the ship, the game waited for him to get in position. Must have taken like 10 sec.
  • The map is too slow to move
  • Jumping across gaps looked and sounded weird. Can it be made more smooth? Are these gaps adding value?
  • Not convinced by the writing, but since this demo is custom and not part of the full game, I'll hold off on this one.

Overall, I liked it. The combat is fun enough, and even though I didn't find any extra characters (do no switching for me), I did encounter an optional boss (Shashlik) and the last boss, which gave me a good idea of the combat. The random enemies are health sponges, and need to be fixed. I was over fighting them repeating the same set of moves, and was even trying to avoid fights. Some option to avoid encounters would be handy in the full game.

Anyway, will keep an eye on this and hopefully it improves with future updates.

Halo0629

Looks pretty cool actually and put it now in my wishlist. Too bad it's still a long way for the release date, q4 2021.

Last edited:
Top Bottom