• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chained Echoes - Chrono Trigger like 16bit JRPG releases Dec. 8th for PC, PS4/5, Switch and Xbox (Gamepass). Please Be Good....

Nautilus

Banned
The only thing that the dev could have put some more energy on was on its marketing. I stumbled by chance on this game a few years ago, and though it was interesting but ended up forgetting about it, since there wasn't any clear release date for it.

It was only thanks to Neogaf and seeing this thread a few days ago that I remembered about this game and decided to take a look at the reviews and buying it.

Honestly, if the dev and Deck 13 had better marketed this(And they still can), I have no doubt in my mind that this can sell more than a million units. The game is that good(so far)

Really enjoying it so far but it’s not released on the ps5 for whatever reason. It was not adverstised in the Ps store - I eventually found it but I had to search and it was buried on the ps4 section.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This game needs a compendium. What is oil? What is AGI?

Loving it so far. Things haven’t opened up yet.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Really? Do you have a source?
0d5.jpg

Fuz

Banned
Since it's been compared to Chrono Trigger: is there a system in this game for team-up attacks like in CT? I loved that and I always wondered why it wasn't used much more extensively in games...

Reactions: Isa

Batiman

Banned
I seen my son start it up yesterday and watched a little bit of him playing. I think it looks great and my son seems to be enjoying it.

This is the kind of old school RPGs that I’m always hoping for. I’ll probably start my own file soon

Labadal

Can we expect cringe writing that a lot of western "jrpgs" usually have?

I don't remember the writing from the demo, but it had decent gameplay.

Fuz

Banned
Well, I just started it.

I'm fucking loving it. It really seems perfect. There's A LOT of attention to details and attention to quality of life stuff that we missed back then. Small little things that I really apreciate.
One thing worth mentioning that I haven't seen anyone else commenting on: the palette used is fantastic, vibrant and full of life, gives the game the perfect tone and atmosphere.
Hoping for a great cast and a good story (those are either make-it or break-it), and this could easily go being one of my top 10 games of this year.

One minor annoyance is that I can't close menus with the same key - for example I have the inventory on B and I can't click B to open/close for a quick glance, I need to click X. Very small pet peeve.
Oh and I think I will hate the overdrive system. Onestly feels it only adds unneeded annoyances to the fights. Maybe I'll change my mind later on, I've barely started.

Last edited:

Synless

Saw this thread and nabbed it on Xbox. I have to say, enjoying it so far but fuck me if isn’t too much text going on in the first couple hours.

90 minutes in, pretty good so far. I’ll definitely stick with it. I did manage to find a funny bug, tho. I went to leave a fountain room and when you walk over to the left corridor, it triggers a cutscene with all 6 (7?) party members. Even though at the point I’m at there is no party yet. But after the cutscene it went back to normal.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, they try too hard to copy Japanese storytelling without having the cultural background for it, ending up only being double embarassing and just cringy.
Clarification needed: I'm not saying Chained Echoes falls into this type. I'm actually ejoying the writing so far, I was even positively surprised when one of the good guys killed one bandit and tortured another to get informations out of them. You don't see that sort of stuff often in JRPGs. Very refreshing.

This game is what Octopath should have been, by the way.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Clarification needed: I'm not saying Chained Echoes falls into this type. I'm actually ejoying the writing so far, I was even positively surprised when one of the good guys killed one bandit and tortured another to get informations out of them. You don't see that sort of stuff often in JRPGs. Very refreshing.

This game is what Octopath should have been, by the way.
Nah. OT was never meant to be exactly like FF 6 or Chrono Trigger. It obviously has flaws(Boring dungeon design, somewhat weak story) but OT is as great as it is because of it.

I wish that Square did Chrono Trigger 3 that was a real sequel to the first game, but that doesn't mean that other original IPs need to be a carbon copy of past games. Living completely on the past is as much sin as completely forsaking it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is there a quick write up of the lands, stories, and characters anywhere yet? This game goes through those things quickly, and that’s fine, but then you can’t reference it again. You just have to remember what’s what. Like bro, I’m not in high school anymore. I want to reference parts of the story without having to memorize things.

I’ve gotten further and further. Almost 10 hours on record and this game is just fantastic. If you like JRPGs, buy it asap.

Bboy AJ

Last edited:

kevm3

That artstyle is kinda meh....hard to compete with Toriyama designs, I guess.

Yep, it's hard for 1 guy to compete with a team of professionals, one of who created the designs for one of the most popular animes/mangas of all time... and then a team of professional pixel artists on top of that. I think what makes games like these a bit off-putting is that it has a weird blend of western/eastern, like it doesn't know which of the two it wants to be.

Bboy AJ

About 4 hours in..great so far, but the reward board is driving my ocd gauge to go bonkers.
I totally forgot about it until much later. You can both claim and earn the rewards at your leisure. There’s no requirement to do it in order, like I thought, to chain it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I totally forgot about it until much later. You can both claim and earn the rewards at your leisure. There’s no requirement to do it in order, like I thought, to chain it.
Yea, I’ve been trying to forget about it and just roll along and unlock as I go, but I’m worried about the possibility of missables if I go too far.
Don’t get me wrong, I actually like the idea, it just brings me back to my trophy hunting days a bit.

Top Bottom