• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chained Echoes - Chrono Trigger like 16bit JRPG releases Dec. 8th for PC, PS4/5, Switch and Xbox (Gamepass). Please Be Good....

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's been nearly a year since I pre-ordered (and paid for!) the physical Switch version... still nothing. Their site still says "pre-order".

Their production schedule page still says "In Progress" and the expected release is "Q3 2023" - but literally everything on that page say "Q3 2023"

Starting to feel like I got suckered

TexMex

It's been nearly a year since I pre-ordered (and paid for!) the physical Switch version... still nothing. Their site still says "pre-order".

Their production schedule page still says "In Progress" and the expected release is "Q3 2023" - but literally everything on that page say "Q3 2023"

These boutique physical release outlets are just insanely poorly managed. Shit takes forever. People wait literal years sometimes from LRG for example, and there's no acceptable production woes to account for that, it's just incompetence.

Completed it. 90 hours.
Well, my interest in the game has vaporized. Why do developers act as though we spend our lives only playing their single game.

edit: The official website claims “30 - 40 hours of play time”, so I’ll just assume Fuz Fuz is an outlier.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned

cancelled mine, dont think it is ever coming. I had to chargeback through my CC company lol.

It doesn't take 90 hours to beat the game.

Also, this is the best 'JRPG' to come out in years, well worth the time.
iu

Alright, I’ll keep Chained Echoes on my wish list, but it is now farther down.

I am about 10 hours into Sea of Stars.

I see the official website claims “30 - 40 hours of play time”, so I’ll go with that. Thanks for all the insight!

Reactions: Fbh

Duchess

Chained Echoes was such a breath of fresh air. Some random difficulty spikes, but otherwise I absolutely loved the game.

I see the official website claims “30 - 40 hours of play time”, so I’ll go with that. Thanks for all the insight!
Easy Allies suggested Sea of Stars was 40 hours in their review, too.

StereoVsn

I beat the game in ~35 hours and I took my time. Not sure what he was doing for 90 hours.

Yeah, 30-40 hours sounds about right. I think I was around 35 as well.

Not sure what the heck do you do in the game for 90 hours.

And I liked it better vs Sea of Stars. Latter is good, but attack variety is very much lacking.

Fbh

I'm almost done with Sea of Stars and I agree with others here that Chained Echoes is better.
Better story and characters, better combat, better world design and better side content. Sea of Stars has arguably better visuals , better music and IMO the actual dungeons are better too.

It's still crazy to me that Chained Echoes was primarily done by 1 dude. I hope someone with money took notice and offered him a nice deal to work on a sequel or new IP.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
No way chained echoes is better, sea of stars is a masterpiece
Sea of Stars is amateurish at its best. It’s very obvious how budget and lack of experience reined in the enthusiasm of the devs. Nothing in the game is better than what you’d find in most run-of-the-mill JRPGs from the 90s.
The difficulty in Chained Echoes is oddly balanced and prevented me from enjoying the game as I would have liked. Overall though, the game is so much better than SoS that it’s not a contest.

Shifty1897

According to my Switch, I played Chained Echoes for 65 hours. I 100%'ed it, it was great. Definitely the best indie JRPG style game I've ever played.

Can't wait to play Sea of Stars and compare them.

Zheph

Damn, now I have to finish Sea of Stars. Loved Chained echoes beginning to end. Bounced off Sea of Stars after only 3 hours.
The story gets much better at midpoint imo and I enjoyed the mini game in SoS but I can understand I was close to drop it too

Roberts

I have a feeling it will leave Game Pass at the end of the year so I jumped into it mostly because of good impressions here. It took a while to get going but I like it. I'm not very familiar with jrpgs but overdrive mechanic seems fresh. I think the best thing about the game is that it is made by one person and therefor kind of unfiltered and idiosyncratic especially when it comes to all kind of tonal shifts and weird jokey moments.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Chained Echoes is probably the best jRPG of the classic style (turn based, 2D) I have played in 20 years.
Was hooked from the first minute - while other jRPGs I tried in the last 10 years or so just bored me very quickly.

That said, I haven't played SoS. Yet.

Top Bottom