• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chancellor Merkel's approval rating rises, could very well remain Chancellor

Ladekabel

20 years later and I'm still waiting how the refugees somehow affects me.

What about them east german refugees ehich take the Soli?

The first few years i brought food from home but at some point they started handing out coupons for kids of unemployed parents(must have been around 2004-2005 when i was in 5/6 grade)

When I was at fifth grade they only started offering lunch a few month after school started for two days in the week. Was around the same time, too.

I should've known when we had to give back drinking straws in a science scool subject in fifth grade after using them that my school is cheap.

Wamb0wneD

Centralize the education system.
Repair schools (there was one study some time ago, which said that schools need around 34 billion euro to be renovated)
Invest in teachers, especially good teachers
Dismantle private health and pension insurances
Invest in the infrastructure (e.g. roads)
Increase the minimum wage
Forbid "Zeitarbeit" or give much stricter regulations. People are being held as slaves there.
Increase taxes for the rich people
Increase taxes for big companies
Introduce the basic income
Invest in digital infrustructure
Net neutrality must be a given
Stop the spying on own people with the NSA

That's just quick brainstorming.

Don't forget the "Mietpreisbremse". All of this is out the window when FDP is in there. I despise that party. Schäuble needs to gtfo already as well.

Xando

When I was at fifth grade they only started offering lunch a few month after school started for two days in the week. Was around the same time, too.

I should've known when we had to give back drinking straws in a science scool subject in fifth grade after using them that my school is cheap.
Haha.
We might have had some broken toilets and heatings but we never could complain about our cafeteria.

petran79

Banned
The problem is that Merkel is not really the problem. She doesn't have the power as someone like Trump and people are not voting for her, but her party. It's like americans would vote 16 years for republicans and that party thinks that Trump would be a great representer of that party. Without the backing of the party Merkel could do nothing.

She also lacks the prestige of her predecessors. Even H. Kohl belittled her

Mendrox

I don't think it's about private schools, but more about private lessons. They are quite costly and can really help. If children have problems and they maybe have to repeat a class they have directly a bad standing under teachers. I've seen it so many times during my education...

But also the whole education system somehow fails. We, in NRW, have now the G8 where children had to deal for many years with the lack of proper school books, because nobody was prepared for that. That is a huge failure! Then we now have Bachelor and Master at University that should enable people to get faster into jobs but what is the reality? Companies complain that people who are coming directly from the university are lacking basic skills. As a software engineer I can totally support that. If I wouldn't have been so interested into that field even before studying, I would probably have no valuable skill from the studies. I know people who are finishing their masters which can't write a simple method.

Especially the university (but also schools) are to much focused on good grades during one fucking exam. But they don't really care if you understand everything. Most of the exams could have been taken by anybody who learned the proper words before.

Then we are already dividing children after the 4th grade into where their live is going. This is just amazing. I think until the 8 or 9th grade I didn't really care about school. I just had to go and it was part of my day. After that I became interested in software and my "career" began. But in the 4th grade I was more interested in what I will play when I'm at home then what I should study for my exam next week. And I think most children think that way and it's unfair to divide them in such an early state and let's be honest. Children that are going to the "Hauptschule" have it really hard. They will have problems to find a job, they will be ignored by a huge chunk of society and I it was all decided in the 4th grade! Of course it would be possible for them to finish the abitur, but that's very rare. The education system should focus on the individual children, every children has different strenghts, different abilities and not everyone has to become a doctor. But we should enable children to become experts in what they are interested in and what they are good in. But to do this we need more money, more possibilities and more time for the children to grow and gain experiences. And smaller classes would help. While I was in school we already had 35 children in one class!

Then back to university. Why can only people with a degree of 1,0 or 1,1 study medicine? Does anyone really think that someone with a grade of 2,0 or even 3,0 would be worse? Because he was maybe bad at sports or history? What does this even have to do with it? Some of those 1,0 graders are maybe very good at studying but then quite bad at being empathic with patients. But does anyone care? Nope....

Sounds really bad coming from your post. I am from Hamburg and repeated my second (Yes) school year, and I went to Gymnasium and was the first year that had cut one whole year (11th class was skipped) so we had over 180 people in our two last years and we had to learn faster.

I knew that not everyone would get a job by starting to study after school so I took an apprenticeship which was the best idea ever. Most of the people that went to Uni still dont have a good job and I have a very good one. The market is too full with people that dont have real experience and you have to many smarr asses on the market after Uni that think they know how life works even though they never worked for real.

My Abi was 3,2 and I am still a professional licence manager now. So degree doesnt matter if you take the right way.

And yeah dividing people before 5th grade is clever, but if they want to they can still easily attain Abi or Fachabi. I know many people that werent interested in school at first but after 10th grade they went to Gymnasium too. It's really not that hard in Germany and you get every chance handed to you.

Also you can still study almost everything with almosr every Abi degree or Fachabi. You jist have to wait for place and every year the requirement goes down a notch if you are on it.

Violet_0

Banned
16 years of Merkel isn't necessarily "good" because it again demonstrates the shit situation of German politics.

the CDU deciding in the early 2000's that they actually want to be everything, conservative, liberal, buisness, Green Party, was a genius move in hindsight

I have no idea what the green party is doing right now. They're fucking it up so badly.

Their problem is quite clear: Content. The only topic people consider the Green's "home-turf " is - wait for it - environmental protection.

But after the Energiewende (which actually Merkel did) they failed to come up with a new environment-related topic everyone in Germany can gather around. Instead they had brilliant ideas like the "Veggie day" (2013) and "Autofasten" (plea to make Germans not use their cars during fasting period), which stigmatized them as the party of patronizers. Not agreeing to declare Maghreb countries as "save states" probably didn't help that much, either.

And even more worrysome for them: The FDP - of all parties -got more votes from young voters than the Green party. So, yeah, they are indeed in serious trouble. And for the forseeable future a Jamaica or Black-Green coalition will be their only paths to governmental power.

Lucumo

Then we are already dividing children after the 4th grade into where their live is going. This is just amazing.
Yep, this is really stupid. Luckily, we are sane where I live and students go their separate ways after the 6th grade.

While I was in school we already had 35 children in one class!
We were 31 until the end of the 10th grade but interestingly enough, it was fine as the students behaved quite well.

Their problem is quite clear: Content. The only topic people consider the Green's "home-turf " is - wait for it - environmental protection.

But after the Energiewende (which actually Merkel did) they failed to come up with a new environment-related topic everyone in Germany can gather around. Instead they had brilliant ideas like the "Veggie day" (2013) and "Autofasten" (plea to make Germans not use their cars during fasting period), which stigmatized them as the party of patronizers. Not agreeing to declare Maghreb countries as "save states" probably didn't help that much, either.

And even more worrysome for them: The FDP - of all parties -got more votes from young voters than the Green party. So, yeah, they are indeed in serious trouble. And for the forseeable future a Jamaica or Black-Green coalition will be their only paths to governmental power.

The problem of the Green is that many old voters just realized that they are conservatives, with a house and a nice car maybe, and why not just vote for the CDU at this point?

Top Bottom