• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chancellor Merkel's approval rating rises, could very well remain Chancellor

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
A poll for public broadcaster ARD found Chancellor Angela Merkel's approval rating hit its highest point since her 2015 decision to open the country's borders to refugees.
http://www.dw.com/en/chancellor-mer...ses-in-polls-as-parties-stay-close/a-37882442
Voters in Germany's most populous state are going to the polls in an election seen as a crucial test for Chancellor Angela Merkel.
Polls show Mrs Merkel's centre-right Christian Democrats (CDU) could unseat the centre-left Social Democrats (SPD) in North Rhine-Westphalia.
The SPD has run the state for most of the post-war period.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39912344

Merkel could very well remain Chancellor. The European countries who have had to deal with terrorism, are rejecting America and Britain's electorate world view.

Ogodei

Shame. SPD leadership would be better for Europe as a whole, as i doubt they'd be quite as obsessed with painful austerity for the EU periphery (although neither of the German big two are as good about it as the French or Italians would be).

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
16 years is way too much.

One re-election (like in the US) is the right thing to do imo

But she made a good job so far...

KingK

Shame. SPD leadership would be better for Europe as a whole, as i doubt they'd be quite as obsessed with painful austerity for the EU periphery (although neither of the German big two are as good about it as the French or Italians would be).
Yeah basically. Merkel is still a more than competent leader though. Germany is really in the envious position of having two pretty good frontrunners in their election. As an American, I'd give anything for the choice between Merkel and Schulz lol.

pa22word

16 years is way too much :( One re-election (like in the US) is the right thing to do imo

Yeah, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the US Presidency a ton more powerful (constitutionally speaking, not dickwaving) than Germany's Chancellorship?

The US Presidency being limited makes more sense in the context of 20th and now 21st century American Government than it did in the past. Regardless of how you think of either man, a Reagan like character going 4 straight terms like Roosevelt did is kind of a terrifying thing to think about. Does it mean we don't get Obama 3 or Clinton 3? Yeah, it also means we don't get a Trump 3 either.

Bold One

16 years is way too much.

We need to apply a rule for just one re-election (like in the US) imo

Sometimes the devil you know...

If anything, the US would have been better off extending Obama's term than what they have currently

The Trump affect lol. I guess having an alt right leader didn't become real enough until Trump was elected. I really hope Germany gets a nice election results like France.

weekev

Banned
Good, she always struck me as a sensible competent leader but also not someone you fuck with. Someone's gotta have a competent leader around here.

urfe

Trudeau is doing okay leading the free world.

I think Trudeau has less substance and Canada is not a country in a position to lead the free world.

I say this as an NDP-supporting anti-austerity Canadian (with Permanent Residency in Japan).

Socivol

That's surprising I just talked to my friend in Germany who said people are ready to get rid of her. I guess we will see.

Sarek

This is a joke right? French and especially Italians can't even fix their own country.

oti

Banned

Hey man, I love Canada and all, but lol.

Both CDU and SPD seem willing to reform the EU together with France. Everything is going to be OK. Even Russian propaganda won't make the AfD electable for the majority of Germans.

buyuk-tasakli-erkeklerin-dar-pantolon-giymesi_795903.jpg

I'm just glad Le Pen's loss, among others recently, has stopped the concern trolling about polls being wrong and acting like the far right is guaranteed to win.

I'm just glad Le Pen's loss, among others recently, has stopped the concern trolling about polls being wrong and acting like the far right is guaranteed to win.
and we can take a sigh of relief now that the French Presidential Election is behind us.

now back to vanilla eatablishment parties in Germany, breath normal

The irony is, that the polls were actually more off in the French election than either Brexit or the US Presidential election.

Anything else than another 4 years for Merkel would be a huge surprise at this point. Should her opponent's party lose today's election in North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), it's basically game over for Schulz.

And I would be totally fine with it. I just hope liberal FDP or the Green party get enough votes to replace SPD which definitely needs a time-out at this point.

oti

Banned
Does Germany have a Russian plant like France and America?

Yes, the AfD. But they're too busy screwing over themselves. And they're Nazis.

The somewhat funny thing is, the original founder of the party was ousted for opposing the far-right base of the party. The even funnier thing is, the person who ousted the original founder thanks to the far-right base was ousted herself, for opposing the far-right base.

This is a far-right Nazi party. That's all they are (don't let anyone tell you otherwise, they're lying) and whoever tries to move them to the centre gets ousted.

It's kinda beautiful to witness tbh.

Yoshi88

She's competent, but some of her stances make her and her party unelectable for me. Talking about LGBTQ here. I refuse to go into civil partnership instead of marrying my boyfriend. Nobody cares for your gut's feelings, Angela. Give me the same basic human rights that don't touch yours in any way, dammit.

I actually hoped to be married and make first plans for children within the next 4 years. I'm not getting younger :(

and we can take a sigh of relief now that the French Presidential Election is behind us.

now back to vanilla eatablishment parties in Germany, breath normal

Yeah, well, the coalition government in Austria is unraveling at the moment, there are prospects of early elections, the far-right populist FPÖ is polling at 30%, and the prospective top candidate of the center-right ÖVP is making a power grab by trying to "sarkozyfy" the party and take away (read: adopt) the far right's talking points.

So, yeah, that is going to be the next one... :-/

On the other hand, the far right having a sizeable voter base in Austria isn't exactly a new thing and so far the sky hasn't fallen.

I think a lot of people miss how offputting Schulz's shtick is to longtime SPD voters.

Anecdotal, sure, but my parents, both livelong SPD voters(my mother voted green on occasion) can't stand him and his hot air populism. They'll vote for the CDU today and come September literally for the first time in their lives (and because NRW's SPD-Green coalition wasn't particularly great).

I certainly won't vote for him either.

Top Bottom