• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chances are Evil Dead Rise doesn't suck

Peggies

Gold Member
I enjoyed it tremendously! Had a really nice look to it. Tried some new things. And Ragnar Lothbrok's second wife looks really scary with that huge mouth of hers.

YCoCg

Enjoyed it, nice alternate take on the usual by having it take place in an Apartment and having the deadites be monsters again instead of Zombies (2013), though it felt like there was a much more interesting story in the past about the priests who tried this shit in 1923, where we also hear Ash and where it's later revealed the priest went all John Wick and had to slaughter everyone, REALLY hoping that's hinting at a prequel.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
it sucked.
Loved it.
BowedBeneficialFinwhale-size_restricted.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It was pretty good but where was the humor? Kind of half of what made it stand out.......

Thought it was really, really good. Definitely my favorite horror movie of the year so far.

A much better film overall when compared to the 2013 remake, which to be honest was extremely mediocre in the writing department (although the gore was great, and the big final shot was *chef's kiss*).

Sure it's not a comedy, but then again not every installment in this series has to be a remake of the originals.

This one did its own thing whilst giving plenty of nods, hope this leads to more Evil Dead!

Loved the title reveal by the way, with the posessed girl rising out of the water, that definitely set the tone for me.

NickFire

I have no issue with the franchise being less funny when Ash isn't a central character. Especially in an installment with a theme of possessed mom trying to kill her own children. Shoe horning comedic bits would (potentially) make it feel cheap, and diminish the abject horror of the situation faced by the children.

Pejo

On HBO Max now. I thought it was alright but didn’t really need to be an Evil Dead movie.
My feelings too. It just has the Evil Dead name attached to get people to give it a chance. It was a pretty good horror movie on its own though.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I loved it and I'm surprised at some of the negative reactions here.

Felt completely Evil Dead to me, from it's use of reminiscent but modernized camera tricks and cinematography to the familiar yet distinct signature "Evil Dead"-esque chaotic personality of those possessed.

And then of course some nice throwback lines & scenes for long time fans.

I thought it was great. Significantly better than the 2013 film (which was also not bad).

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The circumstances with which how they kept them isolated was pretty contrived. The stairs are out. The elevator isn't working. Our cell phones magically don't work. The fire escape is through another apartment with an impenetrable door.

dorkimoe

On HBO Max now. I thought it was alright but didn’t really need to be an Evil Dead movie.
Thats what I thought. It took me until halfway thru the movie to realize they werent going to a cabin. I never watched trailers or read up on the movie before I watched it cuz i assumed it was just going to be in the cabin lol

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lots of folks clearly don't remember Evil Dead 1 and only parts of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. The series wasn't a comedy until those two. The first was played relatively straight with some minor jokes, like in the reboot and Rise.

kondorBonk

I enjoyed it and its success makes it sounds like well get more.
I don't think the location was as fun. The environment was pretty bland but I get they were trying to do something different.

After the one shot of the cabin, you cant help but want the location to be there.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Some good gore at the end. But sooooo predictable and thus boring that i had trouble keeping my eyes open. Literally. Even knowing what you're getting into didn't help. The only redeeming factor were the fused body into that chipper and the chainsaw. EDIT: The gore was okay I guess.

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

EDIT2: Oh yeah I laughed when the camera was looking through the peephole (?) and the old guy randomly came up and unloaded his shotgun. Fucknut should've went apeshit with rounds to the face OR SOMETHING.

But no. He waits. So the movie could continue.

(I know wouldn't have worked anyways but still annoying)

Last edited:

DrFigs

It's a bad movie and very little of it is interesting or original. But I will give it credit for the violence it inflicts on the kids. Very few horror movies are willing to go there. So kudos to them.

Last edited:

taizuke

I kept expecting the demon possessed mom to make a joke about the trans kid. But, since they never established him to be trans (the actor who played Danny is), I guess that's why.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I was expecting so much more.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I kept expecting the demon possessed mom to make a joke about the trans kid. But, since they never established him to be trans (the actor who played Danny is), I guess that's why.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but I was expecting so much more.
You expect something like that in 2023? No jokes at the expense of the oppressed in 2023. None.

taizuke

You expect something like that in 2023? No jokes at the expense of the oppressed in 2023. None.

I know and you're right. But, a little jab at Danny being trans would've been fun. After all, his mom is probably fully supportive but the demon would look inside her and say something nasty. Again, just a joke and it would be in line with the franchise.

I'm getting off topic but if you want to normalise transgenderism, a joke at their expense is a good step forward. I'm puertorican and i welcome any puertorican jokes because i can laugh at myself and understand there's no ill will in a good joke, especially if there's truth to it.

Chances are Evil Dead Rise doesn't suck
It does suck though.

I know it's a horror movie and in these movies characters act stupid. But this movie pushes it too far.
Some of the best moments are the ones trying to mimic Raimi's movies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom