• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Channing Tatum regarding GI Joe: "Look, I'll be honest. I f—ing hate that movie"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Those who found the G.I. Joe movies to be a disappointment, you're not alone. In fact, a particularly surprising voice has joined the cause: Channing Tatum, star of both 2009's G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra and 2013's G.I. Joe: Retaliation.

"Look, I'll be honest. I f—ing hate that movie," revealed Tatum during an appearance on The Howard Stern Show when asked about the first Joe. "I was pushed into doing that movie," he admitted, revealing that he'd agreed to do the first movie to fulfill a three-picture deal with Paramount Pictures.

"The script wasn’t any good," said Tatum. "And I didn’t want to do something that I … was a fan of since I was a kid and watched every morning growing up — and didn't want to do something that was (1) bad and, (2), I just didn’t know if I wanted to be G.I. Joe."

"I'm super lucky and blessed to have been given that film," he later admitted, although he said that its success didn't necessarily open the doors people might expect. "You get another G.I. Joe script, that's what you get, or you just get another action movie or something." Asked if life changes after playing the lead in such a successful film, replied Tatum: "It does, but maybe not from the people you really want [to be] calling."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/channing-tatum-hates-gi-joe-804629

Channing all over my Tatum if old.

EulaCapra

He should've just spared himself and the audience from his horrible acting in the first one then. It was Razzie worthy.

I didn't even realise he was in those movies. The only things I remember were Dennis Quaid's appalling performance and The Rock from the second one.

He probably demanded it, much like Obi-Wan's classic Star Wars actor whose name escapes me at the moment.

41SQPE2TZML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dead

well not really...yet
Tatum seems like a cool dude, but he seems to be talking quite a bit of shit for a dude who is barely a notch ahead of a potato when it comes to acting quality.

I own it on Blu-ray. It's a great popcorn movie. I love it because it doesn't take itself seriously, like a Saturday morning cartoon brought to life.

Fox Mulder

I actually liked the second one, it was fun. The Rock effect.

Tatum seems like a cool dude, but he seems to be talking quite a bit of shit for a dude who is barely a notch ahead of a potato when it comes to acting quality.

He got a shit load of money from magic mike.

jtb

Banned
I don't really like actors shitting on their past movies. A little classless, particularly when they're only shitting on their old work in order to prop up their new stuff.

I don't really like actors shitting on their past movies. A little classless, particularly when they're only shitting on their old work in order to prop up their new stuff.
I like it, only because what we get 99% of the time is them talking about how absolutely amazing their new film is, no matter how large a piece of shit. I guess maybe it'd be more impressive if they talked shit before a release, but it is still a breath of fresh air to hear it at any point.

mreddie

I like it, only because what we get 99% of the time is them talking about how absolutely amazing their new film is, no matter how large a piece of shit. I guess maybe it'd be more impressive if they talked shit before a release, but it is still a breath of fresh air to hear it at any point.

Chevy Chase did that with Caddyshack 2.

ivysaur12

Banned

Yeah, but he's sort of had a weird relationship with the film for a while, especially since he came off doing Stop-Loss right beforehand, which he seemed to hold in fairly high regard (even though it was a box-office bomb). He's mentioned more than a few times about the awkward transition about going from a movie that was (at least trying to) deal(ing) with the realities of the War in Iraq to something that he felt glorified war.

He's try to tip toe a few times around the issue the few times that it's come up, but I'm not particularly surprised.

I don't particularly like it either, but in a few instances, I think it's okay.

JdFoX187

Banned
He reminds me of Shia LaBeouf shitting on Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Get a little success and it goes to his head. Think it's classless how some actors do this. "That one movie I was in? Yeah, I fucking hated it. But this new one? It's fucking amazing. I swear!"

highrider

Banned
I own it on Blu-ray. It's a great popcorn movie. I love it because it doesn't take itself seriously, like a Saturday morning cartoon brought to life.

Yeah, I agree in regards to the first one. As others have said, he's not exactly a master thespian.

mreddie

He reminds me of Shia LaBeouf shitting on Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Get a little success and it goes to his head. Think it's classless how some actors do this. "That one movie I was in? Yeah, I fucking hated it. But this new one? It's fucking amazing. I swear!"

He doesn't trash the Step Up movie but I assume that's because he met his wife in that film.

Jombie

I'm sure he gladly took the paychecks from those films. He comes off as ignorant and arrogant. Good actors usually don't go out of their way to shit on a film because people pour their heart and soul into it, no matter how good or bad it is.

Salsa

does he like any film he's in

he basically said the same thing about jupiter ascending recently

I mean yeah they are both terrible but dude stop making mistakes maybe

Bladenic

That's cool, doesn't excuse the fact that he was atrocious in it and just an overall shit actor but yeah, blame the script.

C4Lukins

That's cool, doesn't excuse the fact that he was atrocious in it and just an overall shit actor but yeah, blame the script.

He has proven to be a good actor. Joseph Gordon Levitt, and Sienna Miller also sucked in that horrible movie. The actors involved were not the problem. I guess you can blame them for choosing to participate.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
He should've just spared himself and the audience from his horrible acting in the first one then. It was Razzie worthy.
Everything about that movie sucked, not just his acting. The dialog seemed practically undeliverable, so I'm not even sure if I blame him for it.

Read the OP and listen to the that bit GI Joe bit https://soundcloud.com/howardstern/channingtatum_gijoe , he didn't really have a choice. He got a 3-picture deal with Paramount, and two of them happened to be GI Joe. He wanted to be Snake Eyes.

"You're doing this or we're going to sue you."

"Maybe I should have done my Wahlberg impression for the whole movie. Movie might have been better, my acting might have been better too."

gogosox82

I'm wondering if anyone in this thread actually bothered to read the article. The article states he had to do the movie b/c of a three picture deal he signed with Paramount. I'm assuming that he meant that he would've been sued by Paramount for violating the terms of their contract if he declined to do the movie. This isn't some Katherine Heigl situation where she wanted the role, got the role, and then after the movie is a success and her career was taking off, shit on the movie in order to prop up this new movie she's in. I respect him for being honest about it but this might piss off a few people in Hollywood. Hopefully his reputation is better than Heigl's so he can survive it and still have a movie career after.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Alec Guinness has said some bad things about Star Wars and Christopher Plummer has been negative on The Sound of Music and those were actually good films.

Do we really need actors like Tatum and LaBeouf to lie and say GI Joe and Transformers are good films? They're not shitting on past roles to prop themselves up, they are just bad roles period. They're movies based on children's toys for crying out loud.

At least he barely had a part in the second film which wad the better one imo. I almost walked out on the 1st film but the second was actually kinda fun. Over the top and cliche but didn't have nearly the amount of bad dialogue of the first.

cirrhosis

Tatum hating on G.I.Joe ain't right. This will not do.

I skipped the second movie cause the trailer showing the "rod from god" scene on London was completely unrealistic.

Cartoon movie and the IDW comics are where it's at anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom