• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Channing Tatum regarding GI Joe: "Look, I'll be honest. I f—ing hate that movie"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphagnum

Banned
He was always going to die in Star Wars. Also he was fucking nominated for best supporting actor for that movie. Many people seem to forget that.

Obi-Wan was originally going to survive the Death Star escape and just hang out with Leia and Dodonna and the other rebels on Yavin IV until Lucas realized that having him do that was a waste of the character and that since his role in the movie was over anyway it was better to kill him in accordance with the hero's journey.

Verger

Banned
Oddly enough, I thought the original film actually felt most like the Cartoon in its over-the-top action and cheeziness and non-realistic style.

The sequel felt like it was trying too hard to be serious and it didn't work.

HSS: "Life changes though, doesn't it? Once you become an actor in a film over a 100 million dollars."

CT: "It does, but maybe not from the people that you really want calling."

HSS: "But you can get those people on the phone, can't you?"

CT: "Yes, but they always are looking at you as that. The Coen brothers aren't watching GI Joe."

Interesting how the typecasting works.

Bladenic

HSS: "Life changes though, doesn't it? Once you become an actor in a film over a 100 million dollars."

CT: "It does, but maybe not from the people that you really want calling."

HSS: "But you can get those people on the phone, can't you?"

CT: "Yes, but they always are looking at you as that. The Coen brothers aren't watching GI Joe."

Interesting how the typecasting works.

as if the Coen Brothers would cast him in a film of theirs anyway. Know your assets and limits channing tatum

Booshka

I listened to the interview and you can hear him kinda of groan and squirm a little bit when Howard talks about how well the GI Joe movie did, and how it propelled his career. He didn't really want to disparage it, but Howard being Howard, noticed a little uneasiness and pushed the issue. That's where this article quote came from.

His tone and attitude is very honest and not filled with a ton of ego or malice like people are gauging from this article. It was pretty casual, he didn't like the movie, did it as part of a contract, and kinda just wants to ignore it.

I don't think there is much to be mad at him for.

The whole interview was great, and I gained a lot more respect for him overall.

Ferga

I listened to the interview and you can hear him kinda of groan and squirm a little bit when Howard talks about how well the GI Joe movie did, and how it propelled his career. He didn't really want to disparage it, but Howard being Howard, noticed a little uneasiness and pushed the issue. That's where this article quote came from.

His tone and attitude is very honest and not filled with a ton of ego or malice like people are gauging from this article. It was pretty casual, he didn't like the movie, did it as part of a contract, and kinda just wants to ignore it.

I don't think there is much to be mad at him for.

The whole interview was great, and I gained a lot more respect for him overall.

This is a great way of looking at it.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't believe he answered a question honestly in a Howard Stern interview. What an asshole! Anyone have a spare pitchfork? I forgot mine.

J_Lee

Banned
I'm not a fan of Tatum but he was under contract so he had to do the movie, some of you act like you never heard someone talk shit about their job.

Evilisk

I also thought the first GI Joe movie was dumb

The second one I actually enjoyed though. That Firefly guy was cool as hell

obin_gam

I'm sure he gladly took the paychecks from those films. He comes off as ignorant and arrogant. Good actors usually don't go out of their way to shit on a film because people pour their heart and soul into it, no matter how good or bad it is.

George Clooney shits on B&R all the time ;)

DeathyBoy

Banned
I'm sure he gladly took the paychecks from those films. He comes off as ignorant and arrogant. Good actors usually don't go out of their way to shit on a film because people pour their heart and soul into it, no matter how good or bad it is.

Tatum waited years, and then reluctantly criticised the film. Go see how Jeremy Renner acted WHILE PROMOTING Hansel and Gretel for the greatest "I don't give a fuck about this film" tantrum of all time.

Verger

Banned
I thought the first one was more enjoyable, in a campy sort of way. GJ2 was just a generic action flick.
Yeah, that's what I thought. I mean, I think the original had the camp of the cartoon which I thought was the point (if Tatum really was a fan of the show he should know). It was never a real "serious" cartoon or anything.

Could be rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia clouding his memory. Seriously go watch the original series from the 80's.

Az

Channing actually seems like a pretty cool guy. His reddit AMA was great.

He sorta used to give off douche vibes when he was getting big.

Erevador

He probably demanded it, much like (Star Wars Ep4) Obi-Wan's classic Star Wars actor whose name escapes me at the moment.
Urban legend. Guinness didn't demand to be killed, in fact he was upset that Lucas changed the script to kill him off, feeling it may have diminished his character. Ultimately, he came to accept it and may have even embraced the urban legend himself.

The idea that Guinness hated Star Wars is definitely overhyped. He felt pretty confused and lost during the production, unable to make heads or tales of exactly what Lucas was doing, but he enjoyed the other actors (who worshipped him) and was definitely the consummate professional on set.

I didn't know the source material but that first was a cool action film. I even liked the sequel but that's mostly about how dope the Rock makes everything.

41SQPE2TZML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

it's pretty awesome that he got a preface by Le Carre.

DemiMatt

Both Movies were awesome int heir own right, and Channing does an awesome job in them being Channing.

Of course no doors are going to open up if you can only do the one thing.

Also wasn't he in Jupiter Ascending or something? Be thankful those movies at least have an audience and we not universally panned.

I love that first Joe movie. It has Eccleston sleepwalking around, Boon Jun Hyun shooting rockets at the Eiffel tower, Ray Park in a dream casting as Snake Eyes, Baroness rocking the specs, and Joseph Gordon Levitt hamming it up more then your average James Franco role.

It's the epitome of an action film maybe being aware that it can't rise above being a b-tier popcorn flick, so it might as well go for it as an eccentric movie.

Tatum was dead weight in it though, for sure.

He can't talk shit about GI Joe after Jupiter Rising. Enjoyed those movies more than I thought but they were still pretty dumb. Like the scene near the end where Baroness gets her memories back... that was some straight up soap opera acting, grabbing her head looking around quickly confused hahahaha. How that scene made it in still makes me laugh.

Toothless

What a shame, G.I. Joe 1 is the movie that convinced me of Tatum's considerable comedic talent. JGL and Eccleston did overshadow him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom