• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chappelle criticizes Clinton and LGBT activists, defends Trump's sexual assault

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to take away from everyone's right to be offended by everything, but I like Chappelle's comedy, including the 'gross' jokes from the OP. Looking forward to seeing him on SNL next week.

Kreed

Also see Dave this is why you allow people to record you and have their phones.

Then he couldn't test out new material anymore since even if the joke is bad and he decides to scrap it for all future stand up shows, it's now online for everyone to see for the rest of his career.

Air

Banned
I think that it's important for people to understand that a comedian does multiple sets and iterates on it and see what works or doesn't.

In the set I went to, Dave talked about radical feminism and how his radical feminist friend proved him wrong about stuff. He talked about not liking hillary at the time because she always brought up the fact she was a woman plus her scandals. I do recall him mentioning Caitlyn Jenner and said he'd probably check her out if he saw her in sports illustrated.

It's easy to write an article that takes what he says out of context and to get clicks, but Dave was far, far more nuanced in his reasoning live than you would think from this article. People should be wary of that especially if it's coming from a singular source

theecakee

Michael Richards used the N word on two black hecklers. That wasn't part of his set or jokes. Not that he would've been able to make a joke of that either.

I'm fine with public shame or whatever repercussions, but I'm going to need better evidence. Richards was taped and very clear.

Then yeah now were on the same page I guess. Public shame is the reproduction not

I just mentioned Richards as he said even worst things during a set and the repercussion wasn't arrest him. I'm not comparing him to Chappelle. It was just the first thing that came to mind, insert any other celebrity or stand up comedian that said distasteful things and had their reputation destroyed.

Then he couldn't test out new material anymore since even if the joke is bad and he decides to scrap it for all future stand up shows, it's now online for everyone to see for the rest of his career.

Eh pretty much everybody runs the circuit testing material and it's not a megaton, Dave isn't the superstar he was a decade ago, it wouldn't change much but give people context for a joke.

I do find it funny that there are some people who are no longer excited to see him on SNL, as if (possibly) being a shitheel now voids his comedic ability.

entremet

Eh pretty much everybody runs the circuit testing material and it's not a megaton, Dave isn't the superstar he was a decade ago, it wouldn't change much but give people context for a joke.

Dave has the clout to get those bans, but many comedians have lamented the smartphone era for that reason.

When you get a stand up special, you get the distilled, sure fire material that gets laughs. Not every comedian wants their bombs all over Youtube.

Alienfan

Do you think homo/transphobic jokes are off-limits to a comedian, or that saying them somehow provides their stance on actual, real-life issues?

Yes absolutely Comedy isn't some protection from criticism. It's still entertainment. It still has the power to influence the way people think. I don't see how making a transphobic, homophobic joke is any different than making a racist joke. Unless satirical, it's almost always wrong. Making a joke about minorities in such a blatantly offensive way and saying it's acceptable just doesn't make any sense to me. His Caitlin Jenner jokes were beyond just offensive,but actually borderlining handful

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
It's easy to write an article that takes what he says out of context and to get clicks, but Dave was far, far more nuanced in his reasoning live than you would think from this article. People should be wary of that especially if it's coming from a singular source

Also especially when that source is a publication ran by Donald God Damn Trump's son-in-law. I feel like starting a thread about any other article on Observer.com would get a motherfucker banned around here.

Kreed

Based on this thread and the reactions, he's better off not letting material leak IMO, but unfortunately all that matters online now is the headline and how easily it can be shared.

WarLox

I don't know if he did say those things,but comedy is not some armour you can just slip in and out of to make sexist,homophobic and transgender jokes. Unless you're coming from one of those minority groups, you shouldn't even attempt to talk about them in such a negative light. Making jokes at the expense of others like that isn't "comedy".

They have the right to make those jokes, and you have the right to be offended. Thats really all there is to it.

jabuseika

This topic makes me think people shouldn't believe everything they read on social media.

Unless you were in the crowd and heard the jokes firsthand then you really don't know anything about it.

Pretty much, I want to hear the joke delivery and the context. Chappell is known for being controversial.

Dave hates the LGBT community and in a way I'm sorta glad every time he opens his mouth about us, it gets a lot of negative attention. He ain't spinning this shit, and we ain't taking this shit

Guy with dead career comes back to close the coffin himself

yepyepyep

Dave's a funny guy. He's also been known to have homophobic/transphobic views. I don't think you have to 100% morally and politically agree with someone to like their work. To be honest, most comedians sound like strange people; if they were average or normal they wouldn't really have a funny and unique view of the world.

Air

Banned
Also for what it's worth (pun intended). During the set he did that I got to see, he was very, very, very critical of Trump. He took a lot of jabs at him constantly and it was obvious you can tell that he thought trump was a horrible person.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
There might be some additional context that we're missing and I would wait before criticizing him. That having been said, I don't like the attitude many here have that you should get a free pass from all criticism because you're a comedian. Comedy being apolitical is a myth, tons of comedians try to influence people as well as make them laugh. If the ideas they're spreading suck, I'm going to say they suck.

How many people have come to Gaf and quoted South Park as factual evidence should give lean to this.

Ponn

Banned
Based on this thread and the reactions, he's better off not letting material leak IMO, but unfortunately all that matters online now is the headline and how easily it can be shared.

Do you have any other examples to provide of comedians making hateful leaning jokes about a group of people, like LGBT, and it being okay or "just a joke"?

Alienfan

They have the right to make those jokes, and you have the right to be offended. Thats really all there is to it.

Words have the power to harm,so were not just talking about being offended here. The occasional transphobic joke,whatever. But a lengthy portion of his show dedicated to it? He's not much different than a standard bigot. In fact probably worse, because he has an audience. You can use the "they're just jokes" argument all you want, but it doesn't magically make what he says any better

ExVicis

So wait, this thread is confusing. He didn't defend Trump or did he? Because all I've gotten from reading this thread is that some stuff is out of context and some "even in context" sounds really bad.

And also that despite whatever it is he said he voted Clinton.

norm9

Also for what it's worth (pun intended). During the set he did that I got to see, he was very, very, very critical of Trump. He took a lot of jabs at him constantly and it was obvious you can tell that he thought trump was a horrible person.

Too late! We have this new transcript that we are using to demonize him.

Do you have any other examples to provide of comedians making hateful leaning jokes about a group of people, like LGBT, and it being okay or "just a joke"?

Went and saw him perform just before he blew up with Half-Baked. He was making fun of Asian people. It was really funny. I knew what he was saying were jokes.

Lowmelody

I'm gonna call myself a comedian so no one can criticize anything I say ever again because it's just jokes. If you don't like it, it's just out of context.

Ponn

Banned
Went and saw him perform just before he blew up with Half-Baked. He was making fun of Asian people. It was really funny. I knew what he was saying were jokes.

Well then, as long as its Asian and "woman with dick" jokes its okay then. Who cares about those minorities feelings right? Those uppity LGBT rights activists thinking they are important, pffft.

WarLox

Words have the power to harm,so were not just talking about being offended here. The occasional transphobic joke,whatever. But a lengthy portion of his show dedicated to it? He's not much different than a standard bigot. In fact probably worse, because he has an audience. You can use the "they're just jokes" argument all you want, but it doesn't magically make what he says any better

... and its ok for you to have that opinion.

norm9

Well then, as long as its Asian and "woman with dick" jokes its okay then. Who cares about those minorities feelings right?

I didn't say that. I do know not to take a comedian seriously in the context of their stand up set in which the comedian is known to push buttons.

Be sure to let me know which shows you'll be going to, so I can avoid the club that night.

Those uppity LGBT rights activists thinking they are important, pffft.

He's equal opportunity in joking about everyone. What you're saying is there are groups that can't be joked about?

Comedians: ... Sacred ...

Fixed it.

I don't think Comedians are exempt from criticism. If you're offended at something you have every right to tell the world so.

At the same time, you need to realise that comedy isn't someone standing on stage just speaking their mind. Theyre telling jokes that have been written with the explicit intention to make you laugh.

If people at the show are laughing, the comedian is doing their job. They have no moral obligation to "be nice to everyone".

Theyre trying to make people laugh, that's it.

By all means be offended, but at least see comedy for what it is.

Catvoca

Banned
He's never been progressive in terms of the LGBT spectrum and community. That's just an unfortunate reality.

Mhmm. We're probably missing some context from this stand up bit, but in general while Dave's race stuff is groundbreaking and amazing, i'm not sure his views on LGBT or women have ever been very progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom