• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Arse Gaffer |Europe| Cheap, Calm, and Carry On

Status
Not open for further replies.

meppi

Alright cheap arse GAF. I'm going to be getting a white PS Vita 2000 from Play-Asia, any recommendations for a good/cheap place to pick up a 64GB card from? I found one on eBay for £72.90, looks like the cheapest. It's a similar price on Play-Asia, but this eBay one is from Ireland and would mean no import tax if my Play-Asia package gets stopped by customs. Any recommendations for a carry case, also? Ideally not a soft one which wouldn't be able to withstand drops/being squashed against things in a rucksack.

Please don't say Nippon Yassan. Their customer service is total, utter shit and I'd rather pay more elsewhere.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm in the UK, but don't mind importing.

I've stopped using Nippon-Yasan myself after they threatened me that they would close down my account if I cancelled my Japanese order of Gnudam Breaker 3 after I asked them if it would be possible to change it to the Asian English version well in advance of the game coming out.

This is what I got:

Date: 2016-02-29 09:02:36
Name: Fiona
Printer friendly version

Thank you for your message

We don't accept any cancellation on a pre order paid or unpaid.
Following too many cancellation we do not accept anymore cancellation paid or unpaid.
Our suppliers do not allow us any of them now
Any unpaid order or cancellation will conduct to the termination of your account.

Please don't hesitate to send another message if you need anything else.

Kind Regards

Nippon-yasan.com
Customer Service

So yeah, fuck these idiots. Not getting another cent from me, and that's after I already bought over 2000€ worth of hardware and software from them.
I'm too old for this kinda shit! ;P
I would have been okay with not being able to cancel the order, but threatening me? Fuck that.

From now on I exclusively use Nin-nin-game and Videogamesplus for imports.
Oh! And Heavy-arm.com!

EmiPrime

Don't want to minimize this issue, because it is pretty bad.

But how is it different from having to log into someone else's account using email and password?
Depending on how long the order number in this case is vs depending on how strong someone's password is, it might even be easier to log into someone's account using scripts, if the forms aren't protected against it. And then you have complete access to everything. Even placing orders in someone else's name.
Of course, in the case of your login credentials it's up to you to make a strong enough password, whereas this is out of your control as a customer. That is definitely true.
But rest assured plenty of people out there have VERY easy-to-crack passwords, which they use across multiple accounts too. I know quite a bit of sites too that don't even allow longer than 12 character passwords, so yeah....

VGP's order numbers are 6 digits and are sequential. If an attacker knows when their target made an order (for example they posted on a forum about buying a new release from VGP) it's fairly trivial to keep testing order number URLs in a certain range and they won't be locked out from doing so.

VGP's order numbers are 6 digits and are sequential. If an attacker knows when their target made an order (for example they posted on a forum about buying a new release from VGP) it's fairly trivial to keep testing order number URLs in a certain range and they won't be locked out from doing so.

So have you contacted them about it already?

Also, have you tried getting your account removed entirely? Don't know how Canadian privacy law is, and if they're obliged to comply with any such requests.

Posting on forums about having bought something is another thing people should be very wary about. A big part of internet security is in your own hands.

EmiPrime

So have you contacted them about it already?

Also, have you tried getting your account removed entirely? Don't know how Canadian privacy law is, and if they're obliged to comply with any such requests.

Posting on forums about having bought something is another thing people should be very wary about. A big part of internet security is in your own hands.

They must know about it and I don't trust them to fix it given they didn't improve their security after a simple SQL injection leaked all their customers' details. They are the most negligent major videogames retailer on the Internet. Even the most rudimentary penetration testing would have exposed both flaws and more probably exist.

As for having my account removed, unless that also purges all the orders made from my account from their database then there's no point.

They must know about it and I don't trust them to fix it given they didn't improve their security after a simple SQL injection leaked all their customers' details. They are the most negligent major videogames retailer on the Internet. Even the most rudimentary penetration testing would have exposed both flaws and more probably exist.

As for having my account removed, unless that also purges all the orders made from my account from their database then there's no point.

Given how your old address (i.e real address, from before you put in phony data in your account) is still in those old orders one can probably assume that the orders are indeed stored in their entirety rather than tied to other db colums.

Doesn't mean they could also delete all orders made with your account though. They probably have direct access. No respectable web dev company would do this type of shoddy work.

I've stopped using Nippon-Yasan myself after they threatened me that they would close down my account if I cancelled my Japanese order of Gnudam Breaker 3 after I asked them if it would be possible to change it to the Asian English version well in advance of the game coming out.

This is what I got:

So yeah, fuck these idiots. Not getting another cent from me, and that's after I already bought over 2000€ worth of hardware and software from them.
I'm too old for this kinda shit! ;P
I would have been okay with not being able to cancel the order, but threatening me? Fuck that.

From now on I exclusively use Nin-nin-game and Videogamesplus for imports.
Oh! And Heavy-arm.com!
They threatened me with account termination if I reported them to PayPal. I reported them anyway. They're crooks.

I ordered the Boo faceplates last year for a good price but they didn't send them out to me (even though they were in stock) because they realised how much the market price had risen for them. They said there's a delay and then put it back on for a significantly increased price. What a load of greedy ****s.

Zafir

How I miss axelmusic/planetaxel... :(

Ditto.

Though I did lose some money when they went down - had a pre-order with them but the paypal dispute time had passed and so couldn't get my money back or anything. :(

Ad for VG+, ironically the reason I even used my cards on their site was so I didn't have to pay now to avoid that kind of situation again. I don't even want to bother ordering from them much again, why should I if they clearly don't give a shit about their security.
Probably a test charge to see if the details still work etc. Paypal is safe on VGP if anyone else is wondering - that's what I've used in my 4-5 orders with them and haven't had any issues with Paypal.
Might want to change your passwords if they're the same for other websites, if they can get cc details passwords isn't a huge stretch is it?

EDIT- Also, what's the best place to buy a vita memory card, want one for my PSTV , already have a 64gb in my vita...No where is selling them at RRP by themselves, even the game packs are OOS, except for a 4gb pack for £15 @ Amazon.

They're definitely getting credit card details. I have a password no one would ever guess, it's unique and a bunch of jibberish.

Edit: Sorry misread what you said. :p
I just received an email from VGP (about Shiren 5) and immediately remembered this thread's constantly bringing it up how shoddy VGP's security is (like today). Let me give you an example.

This is the URL address that the email message listed for me with some parts censored with "YYY":

Code:
http://www.videogamesplus.ca/account_history_info.php?order_id=YYY&email_address=YYY

Basically, it's a page that tells everything about your order: your real name, your home address, your payment method, the things you bought, etc. Here's the catch: you don't even need to be logged to see this. All you need to know is a combination of an existing order number and the associated user's email address to find out a gigantic leak of information about someone. And I found this out by simply clicking on the link on my work's browser (which had never logged into VGP), so if I realized this, consider it public knowledge for any of the maaaany phishers out there.

If you don't understand the seriousness of this issue, let me spell it for you: a bot can try a tremendous amount of order number/email combinations per second until it finds a valid receipt with all its information to leak, probably including credit card information. I've contacted VGP regarding this (from their site), but more people seriously need to give them a hard time for this mess. It is not acceptable in any way.

Yeah, that's really awful. I'd create a seperate thread about it.

Sondar

My credit card has been compromised twice in the last 12 months or so which I'm pretty sure was down to VG+. I've been using PayPal since December 2015 for any orders with them - is that okay? My name & address is obviously 'out there' now, so there's not much I can do about that is there?

Is everyone still going to keep using them?

Zafir

My credit card has been compromised twice in the last 12 months or so which I'm pretty sure was down to VG+. I've been using PayPal since December 2015 for any orders with them - is that okay?

Paypal is fine. Paypal uses their own gateway, which in theory should have very good security. VG+ gets no payment details, only contact information and the transaction ID.

I'll only use them if I absolutely have to. Don't want to support a company who doesn't care enough to protect their customers.

My credit card has been compromised twice in the last 12 months or so which I'm pretty sure was down to VG+. I've been using PayPal since December 2015 for any orders with them - is that okay? My name & address is obviously 'out there' now, so there's not much I can do about that is there?

I will keep using them, but no early pre-orders and only PayPal, which is safe.

I also will keep pushing them for improvements, but as I said before, there is no real alternative.

I did consider Play-Asia even for NA titles. Shipping has been really fast lately and single titles usually slip through customs if you ask support to mark down. Some NA exclusive PS4 and Vita games (RE5+6, ZTD, Shiren) have recently also been offered by 365games for a small markup

Zafir

I will keep using them, but no early pre-orders and only PayPal, which is safe.

I also will keep pushing them for improvements, but as I said before, there is no real alternative.

I did consider Play-Asia even for NA titles. Shipping has been really fast lately and single titles usually slip through customs if you ask support to mark down.

I've got my pre-orders with Amazon at the moment. I did a load of pre-orders at once with my prime trial.

Famassu

I understand the frustration, this is a big problem, but I want them to improve, not go out of business.

For importing NA games there is no comparable alternative :(

The site needs a complete redesign
CDUniverse could be a decent alternative for importing games from NA. I ordered maybe a dozen or so DS games from them around 2006-2008 and had no problems with them. I think I switched to VG+ because they had a bit better a selection of games and maybe slightly lower prices. Might switch back from VG+ if they won't improve their systems.

CDUniverse could be a decent alternative. I ordered maybe a dozen or so DS games from them around 2006-2008 and had no problems with them. I think I switched to VG+ because they had a bit better a selection of games and maybe slightly lower prices.

I did use CDUniverse heavily in the past, probably around the same time. They don't accept new international customers though for one, only old accounts can still order.

I bought a LE from them last year and they shipped it in a bubble mailer. Took 4 weeks and arrived completely destroyed. So they're not an option for me anymore.
I've got my pre-orders with Amazon at the moment. I did a load of pre-orders at once with my prime trial.

Already used my trial and it's not worth getting a sub for that :(

Any ideas on Horizon 3 for PC? Microsoft appears to be giving retailers digital cards so that will likely work out cheaper than buying from Xbox.com.
564209_xb1_b.png

Are there any loop holes for getting it cheaper? The Indian price is £45 compared to the £50 on the UK store so they might be shutting those avenues down.

Famassu

I did use CDUniverse heavily in the past, probably around the same time. They donÄt accept new international customers though for one, only old accounts can still order.

I bought a LE from them and they shipped it in a bubble mailer. Arrived completely destroyed. So they're not an option for me anymore.

Oh, ok. Nothing broken for me, but I haven't ordered LEs with more delicate boxes.

Sucky that they don't accept new international customers, but I managed to remember my account info for the site and it seems they still have my info so I might try them for Trails of Cold Steel II.

Where are you guys based? I'm in the UK and get most of my NA games from Amazon US. I think I may have used VG+ once years ago to order Animal Crossing on GC.

Amazon US is really expensive after shipping and customs, for almost everything you buy there. VG+ will be cheaper generally.

Plus the pound is down again today. Importing is almost 100% unrealistic right now, it's quite sad.

Zafir

I did use CDUniverse heavily in the past, probably around the same time. They don't accept new international customers though for one, only old accounts can still order.

I bought a LE from them last year and they shipped it in a bubble mailer. Took 4 weeks and arrived completely destroyed. So they're not an option for me anymore.

If you have multiple amazon accounts you can cycle through, but yeah.
Amazon US is really expensive after shipping and customs, for almost everything you buy there. VG+ will be cheaper generally.

Plus the pound is down again today. Importing is almost 100% unrealistic right now, it's quite sad.
With the Prime discount it's cheaper from Amazon even despite customs.

But yeah the pound slumping hasn't helped.

With the Prime discount it's cheaper from Amazon even despite customs.

But yeah the pound slumping hasn't helped.

Well yeah, but for that you have to pay extra for Prime on a US account that you presumably can only really use to get discounts on pre-orders? Unless you're buying a lot that pretty much offsets the discount.

I ordered Persona 5 at amazon using a 30-day Prime trial, and the price after shipping was pretty much identical to VG+, if I had to pay for Prime then VG+ would have been cheaper. I haven't checked the price since Brexit though, because I imagine the pre-order is about £20 more expensive and I don't wanna know.

Sondar

Shame this is happening with VG+. I've been shopping with them for years & I seem to remember an eBay seller named fiocco who was something to do with VG+. Or am I thinking of someone else. :/

Where are you seeing that about the £?
according to this: https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates
it's £1 = $1.32
On Tuesday it was $1.301 so it increased almost nothing (but it didn't went down)

It was on BBC News in their coverage of the interest rate dropping. Their latest update:

"The pound is still floundering against the dollar, with sterling now down by 1.42% against the greenback at $1.3136, compared with $1.3333 at the previous close."

If you have a preorder on amazon, you can always buy a gift card when the exchange rate isn't quite as shit as it might end up, then use that value immediately on the preorder.

That's what I did for the persona 5 special edition anyway. Didn't really get in early as I should have, but it would still have saved me £5 by the exchange rate currently on amazon US.

Zafir

Well yeah, but for that you have to pay extra for Prime on a US account that you presumably can only really use to get discounts on pre-orders? Unless you're buying a lot that pretty much offsets the discount.

I ordered Persona 5 at amazon using a 30-day Prime trial, and the price after shipping was pretty much identical to VG+, if I had to pay for Prime then VG+ would have been cheaper. I haven't checked the price since Brexit though, because I imagine the pre-order is about £20 more expensive and I don't wanna know.

Well, as I said above, I didn't really mean paying. I just did a few pre-orders at the same time. I could also start a trial on another Amazon account too, I've got a few knocking around.

If you have a preorder on amazon, you can always buy a gift card when the exchange rate isn't quite as shit as it might end up, then use that value immediately on the preorder.

That's what I did for the persona 5 special edition anyway. Didn't really get in early as I should have, but it would still have saved me £5 by the exchange rate currently on amazon US.

Yeah I should have done that.

Too late now though. I don't see the exchange rate rising that much in the near future either, sadly. We've still got time at least.

It's easy to say that in hindsight! The pound could easily have been heading the other way right now if the majority of the British public had any sense at all.

It's easy to say that in hindsight! The pound could easily have been heading the other way right now if the majority of the British public had any sense at all.

I did it quite a bit after the result came out. I just figured it's all downhill and that I should have get anything I could paid for. Honestly, it's probably still worth doing.

For my next import Hatsune Miku Project Diva X I'll just use amazon.com

The PS4 version is only $40 for some reason so with shipping and included customs it's pretty much the same price as VGP

EDIT:

So I've been looking into US Prime. There is a $10.99 monthly plan so I considered using that and just placing all my pre-orders at once. But then I saw this

1. I have a Prime free trial. Am I covered?

Yes, any customer with an active free trial or paid Prime subscription at the time of placing an eligible order and the time of shipment will receive the discount.

So it doesn't work that way apparently. Everyone who has pending pre-orders that have been placed with a trial that is now expired should probably look into this.

meppi

They threatened me with account termination if I reported them to PayPal. I reported them anyway. They're crooks.

I ordered the Boo faceplates last year for a good price but they didn't send them out to me (even though they were in stock) because they realised how much the market price had risen for them. They said there's a delay and then put it back on for a significantly increased price. What a load of greedy ****s.

Jesus! I had no idea those kinds of things were commonplace with them!
Even more reasons for me to never give them a second chance.

does anyone have any experience with changing cards on a GAME.co.uk pre-order?

I pre-ordered The Last Guardian's collector's edition a few months ago but my card expires this month, well before the game is due out. I've heard horror stories about people having their orders cancelled after changing their card but I don't know which sites these were.

if anyone has done it successfully I would appreciate the advice!

Zafir

For my next import Hatsune Miku Project Diva X I'll just use amazon.com

The PS4 version is only $40 for some reason so with shipping and included customs it's pretty much the same price as VGP

EDIT:

So I've been looking into US Prime. There is a $10.99 monthly plan so I considered using that and just placing all my pre-orders at once. But then I saw this

So it doesn't work that way apparently. Everyone who has pending pre-orders that have been placed with a trial that is now expired should probably look into this.

I'm not sure their system works like that despite them saying as such.

Not to mention, you only agreed to pay the amount when you ordered, they're not allowed to charge anymore than that.

I just checked my preorders and the discounted price is still there.

I pre-ordered The Last Guardian's collector's edition a few months ago but my card expires this month, well before the game is due out. I've heard horror stories about people having their orders cancelled after changing their card but I don't know which sites these were.

Only like 4 or so years ago when I got a new card early, they told me to just cancel the order and re-order with the new card, it was only a basic order so I did.

Contact them I guess.

Really shouldn't be letting you place an order with a card that will be expired though.

Hasney

I changed my PSVR order a couple of months back with no issues. Did it through the site.

Orgen

Base.com has dragon quest7 for gbp 28
http://www.base.com/buy/product/dra...-forgotten-nintendo-3ds/dgc-drgquviiff3ds.htm

I.ln addition they have transformers movie 30th ann for gbp23ish as well
http://www.base.com/buy/product/the...ray-set-digital-copy-blu-ray/dgc-manb8797.htm

They also have sonic boom 2 3ds for gbp 28 but is being sold cheaper elsehwere by any chance?

DQ VII is cheaper on amazon.es (32,96€)

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01IDD422W/

DQ7 isn't October, right?

16 September

What are the best places to get Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Yoshi's Woolly World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker in the UK?

Is base.com from UK? I bought TMS there for 46€ (now it seems it's at 49€). It was the cheapest place to buy the standalone game one month ago.

Son Of D

Looking for Dark Souls on PS3 in the UK. Prepare to Die edition preferably. I've seen it from £18-£22 but was wondering if there are cheaper options. Failing that any deals on the PC version are appreciated as well.

I'm not sure their system works like that despite them saying as such.

Not to mention, you only agreed to pay the amount when you ordered, they're not allowed to charge anymore than that.

I just checked my preorders and the discounted price is still there.

It's possible that your orders will go through, as that disclaimer was added later. I found an old version of the FAQ that didn't have it but the current one does. I'm assuming it was added at the time the monthly Prime sub was introduced as it would just be way too easy to abuse.

I might try it closer to the Cold Steel II release and place some more pre-orders then (Shantae, Exist Archive, Akiba's Beat, Summon Night 6) and see if it works. At worst I'll lose a few bucks on one order and cancel the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom