• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Ass GAF'er (Euro Gaming Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
YianGaruga said:
I still can't order from thehut. Every time I confirm my details I get a 500 error "page not found". Am I the only one? I'd really like to preorder Batman at that price...
It's sold out anyway. :(

edit:
Wait it's back? :S
Never mind then.

Since I haven't got a clue, my suggestion is to use a different computer. Should solve your problem. Which browser and version are you using?

VibratingDonkey said:
It's sold out anyway. :(

edit:
Wait it's back? :S
Never mind then.

Since I haven't got a clue, my suggestion is to use a different computer. Should solve your problem. Which browser and version are you using?
It just worked. I didn't change anything, just waited another 30 minutes. Weird, it didn't work all day and I changed browsers and computers. Was starting to think my account was bugged.
Anyway, yay, Batman for €28! Combine that with GT5 for about the same yesterday (maybe), I can only say this thread rocks!

OMG Aero

Gav said:
Wheres the cheapest place to get 12 months of XBox Live?
It might not be the cheapest but the last time I renewed my Xbox Live I got it from here. It's £34 which is about £7 cheaper than doing it through Microsoft and you get a month free.

YianGaruga said:
It just worked. I didn't change anything, just waited another 30 minutes. Weird, it didn't work all day and I changed browsers and computers. Was starting to think my account was bugged.
Anyway, yay, Batman for €28! Combine that with GT5 for about the same yesterday (maybe), I can only say this thread rocks!
Glad I could help.

Only issue is shipping from The Hut will apparently take three weeks (15 working days) for some reason. Assuming because unlike Play etc. they dispatch from the mainland. But that's the price you have to pay I guess. Basically half of what it costs in stores here.

nli10

OMG Aero said:
It might not be the cheapest but the last time I renewed my Xbox Live I got it from here. It's £34 which is about £7 cheaper than doing it through Microsoft and you get a month free.

£25.36 from the new & used section on same link which is pretty reliable.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Just wanted to post that for those of you who suspected ShopTo for leaking your card details or what ever it has now come out that it was another company entirely called Heartland Payment Systems...

It's a shame that so many people were all too quick to name and shame them because they wanted someone to point their finger at...

F#A#Oo said:
Just wanted to post that for those of you who suspected ShopTo for leaking your card details or what ever it has now come out that it was another company entirely called Heartland Payment Systems...

It's a shame that so many people were all too quick to name and shame them because they wanted someone to point their finger at...
Do you have a source for that? Were they the company that managed ShopTo's CC payments or what?

YianGaruga said:
Do you have a source for that? Were they the company that managed ShopTo's CC payments or what?

Yeah do they handle there payments then as i had only used that card in two places ever and one of those was shopto. I then got done for gambling in israel thankfully my card company got hold of it. Also your quick to releave them of any blame yet it was the only thing that linked people that got done across europe. Im not saying it was them or wasnt them you maybe right just alot of people had shopto in common that got taken for money.

Burai

shitonmychest57
It doesn't matter who's to blame. As long as ShopTo don't want to take any responsibility for their customers' credit card details being stolen and admit what happened, they won't get another penny of my money.

If I'd known my credit card was at risk, I'd have cancelled immediately. Instead, we hear all this bullshit about a harmless security certificate expiration and the next thing I know I've got £200 missing from my account, a 45 minute phonecall to my bank's fraud department and a shit-ton of saved card details on websites and PayPal to update with my new card.

Just because it was a third party payment system, it doesn't absolve ShopTo from their responsibilities to their customers. It would have cost them nothing to admit to what had happened and detail how they'd stop it ever happening again.

McBradders said:
So can we take ShopTo off the shitlist now?
The only connection google can give me between "Heartland Payment Systems" and Shopto is a post in ShopTo's own forum from ShopTo's Technical Director, saying that there are credit card leaks all the time bla bla, bigger companies are responsible bla bla, Shopto has great security bla bla.

Fact is though, that a lot of people can directly link their card being frauded to ShopTo, and I'm pretty sure ShopTo didn't do that intentionally.
The problem here is that ShopTo not even once admittet that they were, at least in some capacity, connected to these incidents and never issued a warning or apology to their customers.

That's just shady business and that's why I would still avoid them.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
F#A#Oo said:

I can't find anything about a connection between Shopto and Heartland Payment Systems. Link?

All I found was a message by Shotp's forum administrator where the Heartland Payment Systems security breach was used as a possible explanation of why so many ShopTo customers had their credit cards stolen. ShopTo only shifted the blame, they never said they used Heartland Payment Systems themselves.

roxya

As far as I know, this kinda thing has happened twice now at ShopTo. I can't say I'd ever feel safe ordering from them again.

McBradders said:
So can we take ShopTo off the shitlist now?
I've taken them off my shitlist, but only because they accept PayPal now and I don't see any fraud possibilities there.

(I temporarily lost aprox. 300€ earlier this year because of ShopTo).

acm2000

roxya said:
As far as I know, this kinda thing has happened twice now at ShopTo. I can't say I'd ever feel safe ordering from them again.

only once, the batches of c/c details get sold off by country

F#A#Oo

Banned
First of all it was never confirmed that ShopTo was hacked or had a leak. They have been hacked in 2006 and since then improved their security. They were also very open about the hack.

Secondly in 2008 and early 2009 there has been a massive massive increase in the amount of CC fraud and leaks...it's impossible to pinpoint any one retailer...let alone blame one retailer for thousands of charges being made.

If ShopTo was really responsible don't you think we would see more news on their involvement? I got stung for £30 this weekend and my bank Halifax told me this morning they reckon it's because of HPS leak which is why I decided to post about it today. I've shopped at ShopTo for years and years

People are reporting they buy something from ShopTo and within a few hours/days/months their being charged for things on their CC...banks would not ignore such accusations of fraud if there is a real link.

What we do know is that HPS had a leak and that there have been numerous other leaks in the past year...

lol,
in Germany people don't usually use their CCs that often. So when in a German forum more 10 people are affected by fraud, when even some of them only used their new CC to buy from ShopTo ONLY then it's fucking ShopTo's fault! :lol

Otherwise ShopTo is pretty good: does speedy shipping to mainland Europe, the prices are fine and all and as I said earlier I don't see a reason not to buy from them now that they incorporate PayPal, but please don't be kidding yourself about the fraud thing..

Lime

F#A#Oo said:
My bank has linked the fraud to HPS leak. Seeing as they are taking responsibility for it why should we be still shitting on ShopTo?

Because many, many, many incidents have connected Shopto to the credit card leak. Many people, who've *only* used Shopto, has had withdrawn money from their bank accounts. Over 50 people on a Danish forum got hit (me included, over 2500 euro), with some of them only using Shopto. Even the companies were the same in these incidents.

And even granting that Shoptop might have had nothing to do with leaking their customers' credit cards, at least they could have sent out an email, urging customers to order a new credit card and blocking their current one. Hell, even Amazon sometimes does this, even though it might not be necessary to warn their customers of potential fraud.

I don't even see any need for you to defend Shopto, unless you are somehow involved with them in any way.

El-Suave

Diablohead said:
ShopTo defence force :lol

Well, it is a good shop if it wasn't for those doubts. Apart from the prices, they ship really quickly to Germany, as fast as Amazon UK and faster than Game.co.uk. When I order my games from the UK at launch they usually arrive on Friday or usually Saturday. With an order from Game I'll have to wait till Tuesday. Sometimes that extra weekend full of gaming goodness can be really nice, especially if everyone else is already playing the game you've also bought.

I can understand everybody who doesn't shop there anymore, I avoid them too. My credit card was also hit (for ~ €2500). I'm thankful for any posts that clear up the matter one way or the other.

Lime said:
And even granting that Shoptop might have had nothing to do with leaking their customers' credit cards, at least they could have sent out an email, urging customers to order a new credit card and blocking their current one. Hell, even Amazon sometimes does this, even though it might not be necessary to warn their customers of potential fraud.
That's making the assumption that ShopTo even knew what was going on. If the card details were really leaked by their merchant services provider than the likelihood is that they wouldn't have had a clue until either the provider admitted it or an entity like a bank tracked it down.

Lime

Psychotext said:
That's making the assumption that ShopTo even knew what was going on. If the card details were really leaked by their merchant services provider than the likelihood is that they wouldn't have had a clue until either the provider admitted it or an entity like a bank tracked it down.

When the first wave of threads and discussion hit the internet (and even their own forums) about Shopto being the culprit, the company not only needed to warn their customers of potential fraud, but also (assuming they had no idea about what was going on) denying any knowledge about or involvement in the leak of credit cards. I got hit three weeks after the first incidents of credit card fraud, so Shopto should have at least made an effort to warn their customers or comment on the issue.

Instead, they tried to silence the discussions (even banning some users on their website) and keep a lid on the whole debacle. I still consider Shopto to be a horrible Internetstore, and I wouldn't mind the site being banned. Now when you google shopto, the first couple of hits show various threads and news sites covering the potential leakage of credit cards.

Tonza

I got this from Zavvi after ordering some games of combined value 31 pounds.

In accordance with our security procedure and to enable us to proceed with your order we require proof of your billing address in the form of a copy credit card or bank statement which can be either faxed to us on +44 845 862 1118 or emailed to enquiries@zavvicare.co.uk or even post to us at the address below.

Really? I will not be sending them any copies of my credit card or bank statement.

And they dispatched my previous order without problems earlier this week.

I guess I won't be using Zavvi anymore. Now I have to get my bargain games from shopto.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Lime said:
I still consider Shopto to be a horrible Internetstore, and I wouldn't mind the site being banned.

Well thank god you don't get to ban retailers...lots of gamers would have to put up with more expensive games and less competition.

Also their delivery is awesome...recorded delivery for free. Since using them they have always gotten my pre-orders to me atleast a day before release.

roxya

F#A#Oo said:
Well thank god you don't get to ban retailers...lots of gamers would have to put up with more expensive games and less competition.

Also their delivery is awesome...recorded delivery for free. Since using them they have always gotten my pre-orders to me atleast a day before release.

That's what I hated about them :lol Never saw an option for non-recorded... nobody is ever home during the day so I have to pick it up on the Saturday =/

Though somehow they sent InFamous recorded and the postie put it through the letterbox without a signature...

Lime

F#A#Oo said:

Seriously, get a fucking grip and stop plugging them. You sound like a goddamn commercial. You don't even take the points of critique into consideration, nor do you comment on them. You just tell everyone what great services they provide, without mentioning their failings.

EDIT: Sorry for the hi-jack. This discussion is for another time, in another thread. I just can't believe someone is actually defending Shopto. Shopto Defense Force, indeed.

durden

"Books made me do it"
Tonza said:
I got this from Zavvi after ordering some games of combined value 31 pounds.

Really? I will not be sending them any copies of my credit card or bank statement.

And they dispatched my previous order without problems earlier this week.

I guess I won't be using Zavvi anymore. Now I have to get my bargain games from shopto.

I got the same email from thehut.com after making a bunch of preorders with the 10% off code yesterday.
I've never been asked this before and I have ordered a tonne of games from uk online shops over the years.

I wonder why they have started asking for this now...

F#A#Oo

Banned
Lime said:
Seriously, get a fucking grip and stop plugging them. You sound like a goddamn commercial. You don't even take the points of critique into consideration, nor do you comment on them. You just tell everyone what great services they provide, without mentioning their failings.

Points of critique? :lol

Other then the supposed leak of CC's...what other issues can one possibly have with them?

I posted in this thread today to let people know that my bank reckons it's due to HPS. Which is a far more reliable a source since they investigated it...now it could be what happened to me is totally separate and unrelated in terms of what has happened to people on here and other forums/blogs etc...especially as there is no way to confirm it's the same people/group that are committing it.

As it stands though ShopTo have not been investigated nor has there been any evidence that they are involved and if there was even the slimest chance that they were involved I'm sure it would have been reported by the media and banks by now, the fact that not a single media or bank outlet has reported of ShopTo's leak say it all to be honest.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lime said:
You just tell everyone what great services they provide.

Well they do have the best service compared to any other internet store.

Being the cheapest around (near enough most of the time) free next day delivery and getting pre-orders 1+ days early makes them easily the best in my books.

Your loss.

Sign me up for the ShopTo Defense Force, because imo their service is unparalleled.

My only real issue with ShopTo is that they provide the European (not for sale in the UK) versions of games a lot of the time. Only really makes a difference if I want to trade in though.

Lime

F#A#Oo said:
Points of critique? :lol

Other then the supposed leak of CC's...what other issues can one possibly have with them?

I posted in this thread today to let people know that my bank reckons it's due to HPS. Which is a far more reliable a source since they investigated it...now it could be what happened to me is totally separate and unrelated in terms of what has happened to people on here and other forums/blogs etc...especially as there is no way to confirm it's the same people/group that are committing it.

As it stands though ShopTo have not been investigated nor has there been any evidence that they are involved and if there was even the slimest chance that they were involved I'm sure it would have been reported by the media and banks by now, the fact that not a single media or bank outlet has reported of ShopTo's leak say it all to be honest.

Putting aside the fact that there are many indications of Shopto being involved in this situation, Shopto's handling of the situation has been far from exemplary. As I've already mentioned, not only did they fail to officially react or comment on the accusations, but also did they ban and delete some users who commented or mentioned anything about the situation on their own forums.

Like I said, they should at least have notified their customers of the (at that time) current danger of credit card fraud, while also denying their involvement in any way (assuming they didn't). Instead, they tried to silence the discussions or information anyone provided or queried on their official site.

The point still stands though: There is a lot of "evidence", if one counts what people write on the forums as truthful. Like I said, there are users who only ever used Shopto as their Internet store, has had money stolen from them.

But please, let's put the subject to rest. It's material for another thread, and it's fine by me that people aware of the debacle, continue to shop at Shopto. I just feel sorry for those who doesn't know anything about the site's past security history, who most likely will buy from them, without any knowledge of any possible dangers.

So 360 charge packs (on their own, no cable) are being discontinued right? trying to find a cheap white replacement as my launch day pack is now depleting in 2 hours or so of use if I use my headset also, becoming a major pain to see the battery show 4, then 3, then die.

Lime said:
I just feel sorry for those who doesn't know anything about the site's past security history, who most likely will buy from them, without any knowledge of any possible dangers.
I feel sorry for anyone that shops online, or with credit cards anywhere that doesn't realise this could happen at any time.

Hell, that's why it's generally advised that you use your debit card as a last resort, and stick to your credit card which has built in protection against this sort of thing.

Lime

Psychotext said:
I feel sorry for anyone that shops online, or with credit cards anywhere that doesn't realise this could happen at any time.

Not when there's different chances of this occurring, depending on the site one is using. Almost everyone would consider it more prudent to use a site that hasn't had a security breach, rather than one that has one or even two (Shopto). Of course it could happen any time, but I'd rather shop at a store who isn't prone to leaking their customers' credit cards, while refraining from taking any form of customer-related action whatsoever (again, Shopto).

You're missing the point though... if the breach was at the merchant services provider then this "leak" happened to hundreds of companies. I've seen it happen numerous times and each time there wasn't a single thing the stores could have done to stop it (they could warn customers, but it wouldn't have helped stopped it happening and if there wasn't anything wrong it would have damaged customer confidence anyway). Especially given they'd have likely checked their own systems with a fine tooth comb and found absolutely nothing wrong.

I appreciate you're angry with them, but you're over simplifying the situation significantly.

(and yes, I do work in the field, specifically on the security side of it)

Lime

Excellent post, Psychotext. Although I still consider Shopto's handling of the situation incredibly harmful to their customers, there probably are a lot more specifics and details concerning the entire incident, which we don't know about: There's just a certain amount of first-hand evidence from customers, that points to Shopto.

And just to inform you, I did use my credit card when I shopped at Shopto, but to no avail. ;)

For what it's worth, if I shop there now, I pay with paypal. I tend to use paypal a lot these days simply because I'm lazy anyway. :lol

I can only imagine the uproar if they ever have a security breach. :O

F#A#Oo said:
First of all it was never confirmed that ShopTo was hacked or had a leak. They have been hacked in 2006 and since then improved their security. They were also very open about the hack.

Secondly in 2008 and early 2009 there has been a massive massive increase in the amount of CC fraud and leaks...it's impossible to pinpoint any one retailer...let alone blame one retailer for thousands of charges being made.

If ShopTo was really responsible don't you think we would see more news on their involvement? I got stung for £30 this weekend and my bank Halifax told me this morning they reckon it's because of HPS leak which is why I decided to post about it today. I've shopped at ShopTo for years and years

People are reporting they buy something from ShopTo and within a few hours/days/months their being charged for things on their CC...banks would not ignore such accusations of fraud if there is a real link.

What we do know is that HPS had a leak and that there have been numerous other leaks in the past year...
My Mastercard which I used exclusively for Shopto (I normally use my VISA) was hit with a fraud attempt recently.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Diablohead said:
So 360 charge packs (on their own, no cable) are being discontinued right? trying to find a cheap white replacement as my launch day pack is now depleting in 2 hours or so of use if I use my headset also, becoming a major pain to see the battery show 4, then 3, then die.

Dude, grab some Sanyo Eneloops from Amazon. 4 AA's and a charger for £20 or less if you go with one of the merchants. Fucking awesome.

My packs are retardedly shortlived now and these babies come with massive GAF approval and seem to hold charge longer than my MS stuff ever did.

McBradders said:
Dude, grab some Sanyo Eneloops from Amazon. 4 AA's and a charger for £20 or less if you go with one of the merchants. Fucking awesome.

My packs are retardedly shortlived now and these babies come with massive GAF approval and seem to hold charge longer than my MS stuff ever did.

Does Microsoft sell AA holders for the controller? Because I threw mine out when I bought charge kits two years ago.

Bliddo

McBradders said:
My packs are retardedly shortlived now
Yeah, they're pure garbage. They only last 2/3 hours of gameplay now, even when unplugged, after a couple of days thery're dead. I have 4 of them, plus the quick(yeah, sure, quick) charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom