• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheap Xbone - This is a no brainer right? - GAF'ers who have both X1 & PS4 help!

LoveCake

I got a email from GAME uk back in June,
Following on from our email on 19th May, we're excited to announce that GAME Digital plc is on track to list on the London Stock Exchange! Even more exciting news - as a thank you for being such an amazing and loyal customer, you've been selected as one of 20,000 customers to receive £100 worth of Virtual Loyalty Shares when GAME Digital plc starts trading on the London Stock Exchange on Wednesday 11th June 2014!

This means that from October 2014 you'll be able to exchange your Virtual Loyalty Shares for GAME Reward points. For more information about what this means for you please visit our website.
I went to the store that had been selected (in the rest of the email not posted) to get my share certificate, i sort of forgot about them until i got this email the other day,
Congratulations on being one of our lucky customers who received 50 virtual loyalty shares back in June!
At the time they were issued, your virtual shares were worth £2 each (based on the launch price of Game Digital plc). Since the launch of the shares I'm pleased to announce that the share value as of last night has risen to £2.82. This means that the total value of your virtual shares is now £141.
In 15 days (16th October) it will be your first opportunity to make a decision on what to do with your shares. You will have 3 options:
1. Redeem 100% of your virtual shares for GAME Reward points
2. Redeem 50% of your virtual shares for GAME Reward points
3. Redeem 0% of your virtual shares for GAME Reward points
Take some time over the next 2 weeks to decide what you want to do with your virtual shares. Remember that the value of shares can rise or fall. Also bear in mind that if the company decides to pay dividends on Game Digital plc shares, then you may end up with more value in your virtual share account if you have chosen to keep more of your shares.
You will have 5 more opportunities to redeem your virtual shares for Reward points, the next opportunity being in March 2015.
Congratulations once again and I'll be in touch again with more information about what you need to do on 16th October.
I thought :D & then what shall i spend it on, i have a ok games PC, also a WiiU & PS4 (as well as loads of older consoles) & i have always wanted a Sony Vita (one of the new slim ones) & i had basically made up my mind on getting one, it would have cost me a £40 outlay & £60 for a 64GB memory stick for it, i wouldn't need to get many games as they come with a set of free games (five in my case) & there are loads of free ones with my PSN+ i asked for advice on here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902486&highlight= & the people who replied really helped me decide 100%.
I didn't want to get a X1 because of the cost & i didn't want 'all the consoles' for cost reasons, i loved my X360 over my PS3 & i liked the PS4, but today i saw the following trailer, i think the Forza series is the best & thought Horizon was excellent so of course i had Horizon 2 on order for my X360 but i saw this :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJOEbsXiLk
It is like half the game on the X360, if i cancel my order (saving £40) & also use my free shares money i can get a X1 for £170, on checking i have had my Gold Live lapse & also have £45 in my account (which i cannot use for Gold Live) but i am out of the loop on the X1, i have been advised to get the White X1 with Sunset Overdrive.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/white-xbox...Size=20&categoryIdentifier=737199&catGroupId=

So i can get the White X1 & then use my MS balance to get Horizon 2 for £210 (£170 when i cancel my X360 version) this is a no brainer isn't it?

I would be interested to hear from people who have both the PS4 & X1 especially as the consoles are getting on for a year old.

Just unsure about what to do :/ i know it's a first world problem but i don't want to waste £180

TomShoe

Banned
It just depends on if you're willing for the X1 to be an exclusives machine, plus $60 a year for XBL.

Vita isn't for everyone, but if you like indies and Japanese games, go for it.

Anion

I would buy it.

Then again, Im biased cause of FH2 (X1 edition). Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC....are coming soooooooooon

NooM

Banned
I have an Xbox One since launch and love it, play it quite a bit. I recently got a PS4 ONLY because of the recent GameStop trade in promotions. I got it for $79 after trade ins (one X360 and a few games) . Couldn't pass up a great deal even if there's absolutely nothing on PS4 that i want to play that I hadnt played on my PS3.

Again, dont pass up a great deal. Even if you dont find a lot to play on it now, in the future you might. I know 2014 will be better on my PS4. There will actually be new non-open world exclusives to play on it .

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I got a email from GAME uk back in June,

I went to the store that had been selected (in the rest of the email not posted) to get my share certificate, i sort of forgot about them until i got this email the other day,

I thought :D & then what shall i spend it on, i have a ok games PC, also a WiiU & PS4 (as well as loads of older consoles) & i have always wanted a Sony Vita (one of the new slim ones) & i had basically made up my mind on getting one, it would have cost me a £40 outlay & £60 for a 64GB memory stick for it, i wouldn't need to get many games as they come with a set of free games (five in my case) & there are loads of free ones with my PSN+ i asked for advice on here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=902486&highlight= & the people who replied really helped me decide 100%.
I didn't want to get a X1 because of the cost & i didn't want 'all the consoles' for cost reasons, i loved my X360 over my PS3 & i liked the PS4, but today i saw the following trailer, i think the Forza series is the best & thought Horizon was excellent so of course i had Horizon 2 on order for my X360 but i saw this :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oJOEbsXiLk
It is like half the game on the X360, if i cancel my order (saving £40) & also use my free shares money i can get a X1 for £170, on checking i have had my Gold Live lapse & also have £45 in my account (which i cannot use for Gold Live) but i am out of the loop on the X1, i have been advised to get the White X1 with Sunset Overdrive.

http://www.game.co.uk/en/white-xbox...Size=20&categoryIdentifier=737199&catGroupId=

So i can get the White X1 & then use my MS balance to get Horizon 2 for £210 (£170 when i cancel my X360 version) this is a no brainer isn't it?

I would be interested to hear from people who have both the PS4 & X1 especially as the consoles are getting on for a year old.

Just unsure about what to do :/ i know it's a first world problem but i don't want to waste £180

What a bargain. Great console. Deffo underpowered compared to ps4 but buy it for exclusives? That's what I did and I ended up falling in love with it and not caring about resolution etc

The extra media stuff just adds too it even more

Depends, do you think you're going to play it enough? You're still spending more than you're getting off so think about what's coming and your current habits. I got a Xbone plus Kinect for 300 quid a few months ago which was a great deal, then I got EA Access but I've hardly touched it since. I played Dead Rising for 30 minutes and had a go at Forza Horizon 2 demo (didn't make me want to buy it) but Sunset Overdrive is the only game I'm getting for it this year since I'm on PS4 for multiplats and not really in to Halo, so it probably wasn't worth the money in my case.

impact

Banned
I have zero interest in Xbone or any of it's games but I'd probably buy one at $210 just for potential resale value. Go for it.

LoveCake

It just depends on if you're willing for the X1 to be an exclusives machine, plus $60 a year for XBL.

Vita isn't for everyone, but if you like indies and Japanese games, go for it.

That is my concern, i have already made a list of Vita games, i don't want a X1 for exclusives but for basically half price it seems like a steal.

What would OP do with another Wii U? Duct tape it and craft a new Nintendo console?

If i had the skills i would do it!

I know these threads are sort of silly & you cannot spend my money for me, but i have been out of the Xbox loop for six months or so.

Are there any issues with the HDMI connections as i want to run my X360 though it, i did read that some people have had issues with the through-HDMI.

Also will my Gold Live be affected as i let it lapse?

TomShoe

Banned
I bought a PS4 for Bloodburne alone, and a WiiU for X and Bayo 2, so what? :)

Oh whatever.

I'd buy 5 more PS4s if I could afford them all with Bloodborne :p

I think he means that while one game can spur you to buy a console, your interest in exclusive games across that platform's lifetime should play a greater role.

I wouldn't pay $460 just to play Bloodborne over and over for 5-6 years.

hwy_61

Banned
I think he means that while one game can spur you to buy a console, your interest in exclusive games across that platform's lifetime should play a greater role.

Yeah, but a game can certainly get you to buy into a platform. FH2 finally did it for me. Of course I'm going to buy more games for xbo, but FH2 is what lit the fire under my ass to get one.

I basically repeated what you said, lol.

It isn't like there isn't anything else coming out on the console. I'm thinking of buying an Xbox One for FH2, but I know that there will be other games coming out if I ever get burnt out.

OP, just get it. It's at a great price that you probably won't be able to beat, I haven't played FH2, but many people on Gaf are raving about it.

Noobcraft

Horizon 2 is the best racer I have ever played hands down. It instantly joined Burnout Paradise, Need for Speed Underground 2, and Need for Speed Most Wanted (the first one) as one of those racers that I could sink hours of playtime into without getting bored. Do it.

I bought a PS4 for Bloodburne alone, and a WiiU for X and Bayo 2, so what? :)

Return both as no-one buys a console for just one game.

AgentP has spoken!!!!

As to the OP, I'd say get one, but not right now. Wait until after MCC launches. You'll probably be able to snap a great deal at that point.

Go for it. Have all three current gen consoles and the XOne was the last one I got. Strangely enough, it has been my favourite from te start. It has a lot of nice exclusive games to catch up with, which can now be had for discounted prices.

The xbox one is great, kinect is amazing and I love the controller. WIth Halo MCC and Sunset OD coming up you cant go wrong.

Ein Bear

As someone who owns a PS4 and Xbone (and a Wii U, for what it's worth), I'll say that Microsoft's exclusives have been kicking the shit out of Sony's for this first year.

My PS4 is my go-to for multiplatform stuff, but games like D4, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Forza have definitely made the purchase well worth it IMO. Sunset Overdrive and the Master Chief Collection are shaping up to be glorious too.

Toki767

It is definitely cheap enough to be considered a great deal. Though I do think if you have to think about it and are hesitant, you may as well hold off on buying it until it hits impulse buy price.

Apath

If you're already paying for Gold and PS+ go for it. If you are not paying for Gold, really consider whether or not you want to be paying for both services.

To me, that is the bigger concern versus paying a cheap, upfront cost for the system.

Certinty

Get it. Picked an Xbox One up yesterday while I had a PS4 since launch.

Forza Horizon 2 alone has made my purchase justified alone, it's by far the best game I've played on this gen of consoles. Also the far superior controller and OS over the PS4 have made me very happy with my purchase.

mocoworm

OP, buy an XONE. That is all.

Better controller
Better OS
Better exclusives to date and upcoming, in my opinion.

JimiNutz

Banned
Threads like this are full of personal opinions but id definitely say get the X1.

Microsoft may have dropped the ball in terms of hardware power in comparison to Sony but they've more than made up for it in terms of their software.

Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Ori and HMCC is a really solid line up and I expect this collection of games to be better than anything that Sony is bringing this year.

Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Super Time Force and Max Curse of Brotherhood are all really solid games as well.

Then you've got stuff like Scalebound, Quantum Theory and Crackdown coming soon.

Say what you want but MS have some seriously good games out or coming soon.
Any serious gamer would be foolish to ignore picking up an Xbox One for that price...

hwy_61

Banned
OP, buy an XONE. That is all.

Better controller
Better OS
Better exclusives to date and upcoming, in my opinion.

The battery life alone is pretty awesome I must say. Week 3 and the Duracells it came with are still going strong lol

Top Bottom