• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Check out Milon (of Milon's Secret Castle) in his new DS puzzle game! (web demo)

gururoji

Milon no Shizora Shabon: Puzzle Kumikyoku (NDS)

Official Release Date: July 6, 2006

Milon of Milon's Secret Castle stars in an all-new puzzle game for Nintendo DS!

If you're a fan of action-puzzle games, I think you ought to go check out the Japanese website right now:

http://milon.jp/

Make sure to visit the third "bubble" in the upper nav--Asobikata (how to play). Check out the demo movies to get an idea of the mechanic, then travel over to the 2nd to last tab to try out a playable web demo of the game!

You can play either with the stylus (mouse in the web demo) by dragging bubbles around, or control Milon with the d-pad and buttons (arrow keys + z,x,c on the web).

I had quite a bit of fun with this, can't wait to pick it up. It's not quite as exciting to me as a whole new Secret Castle game might be, but this has to be a close second. Thanks to Bobbyconover and Rummy Bunz for the heads up on the new site.

deamentia

Hudson Hawk
I've actually got this stylus on my desk. We were giving them away to people at E3. It's a blue pen with the Hudson logo on the clip. In addition to the stylus, it doubles as a pen with notches for "black" and "red" ink.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't understand what I'm supposed to do.

Also, I've never played Milon's Secret Castle.. though I do own a boxed NES copy.

gururoji

Cool, thanks for the screens and write-up. So it looks like there's a little blurb about getting one of those blue styluses (styli?!?) as a present if you do well at that web demo? I could be wrong, my Japanese is limited...

Jasoco said:
I don't understand what I'm supposed to do.

To clear the bubbles, you have to put them together in the pattern shown by the dots

Blue ones need to be stacked in a vertical column of 3
Red ones need to be in a horizontal row of 3
Yellow ones need to be in a 2 x 2 square

edit: More info:
When you clear a row/column/square of bubbles, ALL the adjoining bubbles of the same color are cleared as well. You can use this to clear a lot of bubbles at one time. Let's say there are four red bubbles in a square. Shoot another bubble up to complete the row of 3. This clears the row of three, AND the other red bubbles that are attached to it.

Also, when you shoot a bubble, it stops and "sticks" as soon as it is next to another bubble, whether it's to the side or above.

If you want to get really fancy, you can set up chain reactions, so that one set of bubbles is completed and disappeared, some other bubbles become detached and float into others, forming additional matches.

Hope that makes sense.

Jasoco

Banned
Greenpanda said:
To clear the bubbles, you have to put them together in the pattern shown by the dots

Blue ones need to be stacked in a vertical column of 3
Red ones need to be in a horizontal row of 3
Yellow ones need to be in a 2 x 2 square

edit: More info:
When you clear a row/column/square of bubbles, ALL the adjoining bubbles of the same color are cleared as well. You can use this to clear a lot of bubbles at one time. Let's say there are four red bubbles in a square. Shoot another bubble up to complete the row of 3. This clears the row of three, AND the other red bubbles that are attached to it.

Also, when you shoot a bubble, it stops and "sticks" as soon as it is next to another bubble, whether it's to the side or above.

If you want to get really fancy, you can set up chain reactions, so that one set of bubbles is completed and disappeared, some other bubbles become detached and float into others, forming additional matches.

Hope that makes sense.
Ah, yes. Now it does. I didn't know they had to be in patterns. Especially the patterns on the bubbles themselves.

I'll have to practice. If the DS game's like that, I may have to buy it. We'll see. I have a lot on my DS plate right now.

gururoji

Thanks greenpanda for explaining. I thought about including that in the original post, but I felt too lazy to retype what the movies show you. ;P

I really hope you can move and fire quickly in the DS version, I assume the clunkiness from the web demo is just because it's a web demo. I can't seem to find videos of the game in action anywhere though.

Edit: I edited the original post to point at the top level of the site: I hadn't seen the very intro pages yet, they have a bit of cool animation on them.

Am I correct in thinking that there's just the one level in the demo? When you beat it, a guy shows up and seems to offer you two choices, but no matter what you try to click on, you get kicked back to the beginning, at least as far as I can tell...

gururoji

Pretty sure it's just the one level, although I was kind of wondering if his two choices deal has anything to do with winning a limited edition stylus (there's some kind of gift/contest thing in the description of that at the bottom of the page with the web demo)...

I hope they localize this too, although I always feel a bit stung if I get an import and they announce a US version shortly thereafter...

And demi--he's made up of two? Quoi?

jarrod

Banned
gururoji said:
I hope they localize this too, although I always feel a bit stung if I get an import and they announce a US version shortly thereafter...
Hudson USA had it at E3 as Milon's Star Paradise I thought?

deamentia

Hudson Hawk
Milon's Star Paradise is correct. :)

Super Milon's Secret Castle for mobile phones in Japan is pretty amazing looking. Reminds me very much of the graphic style from the Yoshi games.

gururoji

deamentia said:
Milon's Star Paradise is correct. :)

Super Milon's Secret Castle for mobile phones in Japan is pretty amazing looking. Reminds me very much of the graphic style from the Yoshi games.

Super Milon's Secret Castle? Woah! Got any links to pics for me?

deamentia

Hudson Hawk
We showed the game at E3. Unfortunately, I don't have any media at the moment to toss up. It's a good lookin' game though!

gururoji

deamentia said:
We showed the game at E3. Unfortunately, I don't have any media at the moment to toss up. It's a good lookin' game though!

So is it a remake of the original Milon's? Or a whole new adventure? I've never been so jealous of mobile gaming before...wish it was coming for a console.

gururoji

HeadsUpSevenUp -- Yes! It is awesome! Always good to see Gururojichanpu love... poor Compile...

Rummy -- As far as I know there hasn't been a US date announced yet, I did a lot of searching for it. HudsonHawk, do you know anything I don't know?

Top Bottom