• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheese is gouda! |OT| Cows and sheep and goats living together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzo

That's even more strange.

Heck, when I was younger, I used to just eat plain melted mozzarella with nothing else.

Okay now I got it : I just checked out the recipe for Four Cheese Pizza, and it's only because there's Roquefort in it. I hate that cheese.

terrisus

Okay now I got it : I just checked out the recipe for Four Cheese Pizza, and it's only because there's Roquefort in it. I hate that cheese.

Ah, alright then. We're better now =)

I'm not generally as fond of blue/moldy cheeses myself.
(Aside from Gorgonzola, which is awesome)

Gazoinks

No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Gruyere, gorgonzola, and properly sharp cheddar are amazing. Not a huge fan of provolone or swiss, myself.

UiUOs1F.gif

spekkeh

Banned
Gouwenaar (person from Gouda) born and raised! Who wants to touch me?

Of course it needs to be yellow and salty, not the white rubber I once bought in the States ew.

kaasmarkt-gouda-1.jpg

Never once went to that corny tourist trap market though. Though admittedly, that's because it's early in the morning, not because it's corny.

Raclette, yum. I love how in France you get it with a tabletop grill (not the family dinner type)

la-raclette.jpg

Grizzo

Gouwenaar (person from Gouda) born and raised! Who wants to touch me?

Of course it needs to be yellow and salty, not the white rubber I once bought in the States ew.

kaasmarkt-gouda-1.jpg

Never once went to that corny tourist trap market though. Though admittedly, that's because it's early in the morning, not because it's corny.

Raclette, yum. I love how in France you get it with a tabletop grill (not the family dinner type)

la-raclette.jpg

This one?

I agree. Eating raclette with family or friends is always a great time, no matter the weather (but it's especially great during Winter for obvious reasons)

spekkeh

Banned
Yes not that one, what a terrible idea to grill cheese with that.

Somehow I equate Raclette with skiing holidays in the Savoie, but I see now that it's actually also Swiss hmm.

Grizzo

Yes not that one, what a terrible idea to grill cheese with that.

Somehow I equate Raclette with skiing holidays in the Savoie, but I see now that it's actually also Swiss hmm.

Well I don't know, but this one seems to be the most popular way to eat raclette in France, I've never ever saw the other one with the whole cheese hanging out (though it looks fantastic)

TheExodu5

Banned
Are cheese curds popular anywhere outside of Canada?

curd01.jpg

The St-Albert Cheese Curd Festival is on this weekend. Gonna check it out.

I love a good cheese. Especially when you can cook with it.

Provoleta is good grilled, or in an empanada.
Never rcould turn down a good Paneer pakora.
I once made mac and cheese with a seven year old cheddar. Absolutely amazing (and expensive!).

As for tasting cheeses, can't go wrong with an authentic parmigiano reggiano. Although my favourite overall is Beemster, a popular aged gouda.

daveo42

Banned
I do love me some cheese. I probably eat a bit too much cheese every day, but it is so good. Had some maple smoked cheddar last night. My go to cheeses are usually co-jack, provolone, sharp cheddar (sliced), and gouda.

Are cheese curds popular anywhere outside of Canada?

curd01.jpg

The St-Albert Cheese Curd Festival is on this weekend. Gonna check it out.

Gah, I love cheese curds. More people need to know about and consume them. Freakin' delicious and not near as available in Ohio as they need to be. I am lucky that my local Kroger does carry them, but only one brand from a smallish farm in the area.

Grym

MmMmM love me some cheese

;)

broccoli-cheese-soup-2-550.jpg
cauliflower%2038%20broccoli%20cheese.ashx

Ok, it doesn't have to be with broccoli. ;-p

Also to TheExodu5. Cheese curds are very popular in Wisconsin. Being originally from there, I LOVE fresh squeaky cheese curds. So good. I pick up a few bags every time I travel back. Otherwise they are nearly impossible to get (except in deep fried form from places like Culvers)

I've always been tempted to just make my own. But I've never given it a shot
http://culturecheesemag.com/diy/homemade-squeaky-cheese-curds

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
MmMmM love me some cheese

;)

broccoli-cheese-soup-2-550.jpg
cauliflower%2038%20broccoli%20cheese.ashx

Ok, it doesn't have to be with broccoli. ;-p

Also to TheExodu5. Cheese curds are very popular in Wisconsin. Being originally from there, I LOVE fresh squeaky cheese curds. So good. I pick up a few bags every time I travel back. Otherwise they are nearly impossible to get (except in deep fried form from places like Culvers)

I've always been tempted to just make my own. But I've never given it a shot
http://culturecheesemag.com/diy/homemade-squeaky-cheese-curds
Oh man, that soup looks amazing! I love cheese and broccoli or any kind of creamy soup. I wonder how I can find cheese kurds in Vegas here? I actually never actively looked in grocery stores because I keep forgetting to but I'd love to get some next time around.

Grym

Oh man, that soup looks amazing! I love cheese and broccoli or any kind of creamy soup. I wonder how I can find cheese kurds in Vegas here? I actually never actively looked in grocery stores because I keep forgetting to but I'd love to get some next time around.

You can probably find them in certain grocery stores...I know I can here. But they are just not the same unless they are fresh... like less then a day or two old... Still moist and squeaky.

jts

...hate me...
I love all kinds of cheese, even very strong ones.

But McDonalds's processed "fake" cheese intrigues me the most because I was never able to reproduce the same buttery molten tasty cheese at home on my burgers. Cheddar doesn't cut it at all.

A local favorite and speciality:

queijo_serra_da_estrela.jpg

"Serra da Estrela"

Usually you just open up a circle on the top and scoop it out with a spoon.

Morzak

No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses!

Gruyere, gorgonzola, and properly sharp cheddar are amazing. Not a huge fan of provolone or swiss, myself.

Is actually Swiss cheese, but I'm assuming that foreigners are talking about Emmentaler if they refer to swiss cheese.

I like all sorts of cheese Gruyere, Gorgonzola, Parmesan, feta, mozzarella (alltough most cheap mozzarella doesn't taste like anything. Brie is also fine, but I can't eat to much of it.

Can't wait for Winter and the Cheese fondues with the family.

Grym

where are the curds? oh there are the curds. what are some good things to do with curds besides deep fry?

The only way is to just eat them after they are freshly made. If they are still squeaky and have that sheen of moisture still on them, they are perfect. Especially if they are made with a little spice...dill or jalepeno or garlic or cajun. Maybe throw them on some mini kabobs/toothpick with some summer sausage. Damn my mouth is watering

How do you guys make a grilled cheese sandwich (or, cheese toastie, for those of you that call it that) if you don't use
8ldJOXG.jpg

?!

I have always used cheddar or colby for grilled cheese

Liljagare

How do you guys make a grilled cheese sandwich (or, cheese toastie, for those of you that call it that) if you don't use
8ldJOXG.jpg

?!

Do those things actually contain any cheese? :p

I love a nice aged gouda for grilled sammwiches.. with ham a slice of pineapple, a lil' mustard spread.. :)

maxcriden

Do those things actually contain any cheese? :p

I love a nice aged gouda for grilled sammwiches.. with ham a slice of pineapple, a lil' mustard spread.. :)

Cabot makes an awesome American-style cheese which tastes much more real than Kraft Singles and the like:

cabot-pasteurized-process-cheese-109103.jpg

Vhalyar

Making a real carbonara using panceta and pecorino romano is one of my joys.

Wish I could find cheese curds in Europe though :(

No love for Oaxaca's cheese?
Quesillo_de_Oaxaca_002.jpg

The process to make it is complicated and derivates from Mozarella, it's made with cow milk instead of goat and if you have ate quesadillas, this's the perfect cheese to make them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom