• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago abolishes gun registry in place since 1968

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

Banned
2013-09-11T191119Z_1_CBRE98A1HAY00_RTROPTP_2_VIOLENCE-GUNS.JPG

Chicago on Wednesday reluctantly abolished a 45-year-old requirement that gun owners register their weapons with the city, marking a victory for advocates of gun rights such as the National Rifle Association.

The city council voted to end the gun registry in place since 1968 to comply with court rulings against Chicago and Illinois gun control laws, and to bring the city into line with a state concealed carry law.

"I happen to think the court's wrong. I think their interpretation is wrong," Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said of the rulings that forced Chicago to eliminate the registry. He spoke after the council voted.

Chicago has faced a wave of gang-related violence that pushed its murder rate to a five-year high in 2012. While the number of homicides is down this year, police have complained that the city is awash in guns.

The Chicago decision came one day after the gun rights lobby scored a victory in Colorado, ousting two lawmakers who had supported gun control in the state legislature.

The powerful NRA, which boasts millions of gun owners as members, has successfully employed tactics, such as recalls and challenges to gun control laws in court, as a way to get strict enforcement of the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which sets out the right to bear arms.

"We're glad the Chicago firearm registration is gone," said Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, the local affiliate of the NRA.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2010, in a case challenging Chicago's gun restrictions, that every state and city must adhere to the Second Amendment. The ruling did not strike down the Chicago restrictions directly, but sent the case back to a U.S. appeals court for review.

In December 2012, the appeals court ruled that Illinois's ban on concealed carry was unconstitutional and gave the state six months to create a law allowing guns to be carried in public.

Illinois approved a concealed carry law in July, giving control of gun regulations to the state and essentially nullifying Chicago's power to require that gun owners register their weapons and have a city firearms permit.

The measures approved by a voice vote on Wednesday complied with the new state law. In addition to eliminating the gun registry, the measures eliminated the requirement for gun owners to have a Chicago firearm permit.

Source: Reuters

A step in the right direction in Cook County. Who would have thought?

gohepcat

Banned
Fuck the NRA.

A detective friend of mine explained how fucked up it is that they can't trace a gun to it's owner because you can't have a national electronic registry. So essentially we pay taxes for the police to spend millions of man hours on fucking PHONES calling gun manufactures, then gun shops, then tracking down gun owners to find out if they have had a gun stolen and didn't report it....or used a gun in a robbery. Meanwhile, almost any other item found at a crime scene can be traced electronically because....you know...logic and common sense.

The NRA, it's members, and it's supporters are irresponsible.

Thanks for hamstringing law enforcement because you are paranoid.

Derwind

Fuck the NRA.

A detective friend of mine explained how fucked up it is that they can't trace a gun to it's owner because you can't have a national electronic registry. So essentially we pay taxes for the police to spend millions of man hours on fucking PHONES calling gun manufactures, then gun shops, then tracking down gun owners to find out if they have had a gun stolen and didn't report it....or used a gun in a robbery. Meanwhile, almost any other item found at a crime scene can be traced electronically because....you know...logic and common sense.

This.

It seems frightfully irresponsible to not register guns. Its really perplexing.

gohepcat

Banned
We should obviously get rid of license plates next to protect our privacy. Don't want the government tracking you down.

We should obviously get rid of license plates next to protect our privacy. Don't want the government tracking you down.

the fuck do i need a car title for

and a drivers license? what?

i'm one of those good drivers i dont need that

no really trust me

its those bad drivers that ruin it for all us good drivers

How does this benefit anyone except criminals? Is it really that hard to fill out a registration form?

Edit: Oh, right, NRA members. It probably is too hard for them.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fuck the NRA.

Yep.

I can't figure out how this is possibly a step in the right direction. If anything it seems like a huge jump backwards.

lexi

Banned
Why are the NRA against even a registry? I can't see how that oppresses or restricts gun rights in any way.

Linkyn

Every time I read an article like this, the same thought crosses my mind: the second amendment should no longer exist. It may have been necessary in a time where North Amercia was still largely uncharted and people neede to defend themselves against wild animals or such, but it simply doesn't make any sense nowadays.

In fact, people should not have the right to bear arms. You should have to go through lengthy and thorough testing before anyone even remotely considers giving you a weapon. Fire arm distribution should be controlled by the government and every last weapon be accountable and traceable.

I simply cannot understand how you can claim to need fire arms to defend yourself when at the same time, your country has one of the world's highest armed crime rates and number of deaths by gunshot wound. The fact that the NRA (or lobbys in general, for that matter) have such a large amount of political pull in the US is beyond me.

Foffy

Banned
Fuck the NRA.

Sometimes I wonder how we lasted this long as a species. We make so many steps forward, but then there's shit like this.

Why are the NRA against even a registry? I can't see how that oppresses or restricts gun rights in any way.

Because obviously the Government only wants you to register your guns so they know exactly what you have when they come to take them.

Also, I live in Chicago, and I am terrified...

You get the sense that most of humanity is constantly improving and moving forward, albeit with significant collateral damage (the environment/climate change, etc.

And then you have America and specifically the NRA and idiots who cling to their guns, forever impeding our progress.

Anyone against gun control should be ashamed of themselves.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
first post should have been #bangbang

I don't see anyone benefiting from this.

Every time I read an article like this, the same thought crosses my mind: the second amendment should no longer exist. It may have been necessary in a time where North Amercia was still largely uncharted and people neede to defend themselves against wild animals or such, but it simply doesn't make any sense nowadays.

In fact, people should not have the right to bear arms. You should have to go through lengthy and thorough testing before anyone even remotely considers giving you a weapon. Fire arm distribution should be controlled by the government and every last weapon be accountable and traceable.

I simply cannot understand how you can claim to need fire arms to defend yourself when at the same time, your country has one of the world's highest armed crime rates and number of deaths by gunshot wound. The fact that the NRA (or lobbys in general, for that matter) have such a large amount of political pull in the US is beyond me.

Most pro gunners are:

A)Complete loons who think that somehow they need guns incase the Government gets tyrannical, needs to be overthrown, etc, forgets three things. 1)Rising up against the government is treason, 2)The US military is in a tier of its complete own on the world stage and these dudes couldn't take down a well-trained SWAT team, let alone National Guard, Infrantry Divisions, Armored Divisions, Special Forces, etc. and 3)Every other western nation that has extreme gun control and restrictions aren't under dictatorships or tyranny and in some cases have more rights and freedom than WE DO!

B)People who think that "If We get rid of guns, the criminals will get them anyhow!!!" Well, no fucking shit, the laws aren't design to stop EVERY criminal, just like every law in the history of mankind wasn't followed 100 percent consistently. That's what laws are: Deterrence, to the vast majority. Why the fuck would criminals in todays America get guns illegally, when laws are so fucking ass backwards he can just walk into a gun store, purchase a firearm, and walk the fuck out?

hwalker84

Why the fuck would criminals in todays America get guns illegally, when laws are so fucking ass backwards he can just walk into a gun store, purchase a firearm, and walk the fuck out?

I'm not even going to touch the crap that came before this but the only loon is you if you think criminals are just walking into stores and buying legal guns to commit crimes.

Most pro gunners are:

A)Complete loons who think that somehow they need guns incase the Government gets tyrannical, needs to be overthrown, etc, forgets three things. 1)Rising up against the government is treason, 2)The US military is in a tier of its complete own on the world stage and these dudes couldn't take down a well-trained SWAT team, let alone National Guard, Infrantry Divisions, Armored Divisions, Special Forces, etc. and 3)Every other western nation that has extreme gun control and restrictions aren't under dictatorships or tyranny and in some cases have more rights and freedom than WE DO!

B)People who think that "If We get rid of guns, the criminals will get them anyhow!!!" Well, no fucking shit, the laws aren't design to stop EVERY criminal, just like every law in the history of mankind wasn't followed 100 percent consistently. That's what laws are: Deterrence, to the vast majority. Why the fuck would criminals in todays America get guns illegally, when laws are so fucking ass backwards he can just walk into a gun store, purchase a firearm, and walk the fuck out?
Don't forget the A'ers usually vote to increase our military's already monstrous budget, as well. That'll sure make the government easier to topple!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not even going to touch the crap that came before this but the only loon is you if you think criminals are just walking into stores and buying legal guns to commit crimes.

What, you think they get smuggled in past customs?

There was a study in NYC where they traced (some +90% of) the guns used in gun crime back to parts of the country where it's ridiculously easy to buy guns. Someone buys one legally where it's easy to, then sells it to someone else on the black market and they eventually make their way into the big cities. Sure some are stolen, but plenty get bought as well.

gohepcat

Banned

Obviously we should get rid of all laws because criminals will just break them anyway. Right?

Obviously no problem flooding the US with guns right?

Just make it so fucking easy to buy a gun and lose it in the "system" that it becomes overwhelming to figure out where the gun came from. Then just give up ever working on gun crime problems.

Are criminals walking into a store and buying a "legal" gun? Hard to say because the NRA doesn't allow us to track any fucking stats related to gun ownership.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
According to this, it seems the gun registry was not particularly effective anyway.

Also, the city permit rules they had sound ridiculous. If you're gonna crack down on guns, crack down hard and go all the way. Don't have that weird situation where you're just making things harder for legit owners while tons of illegal guns are out on the street. Although, I think on the other hand applying the same gun laws to the big city that you do to the rest of the state is also pretty silly. It's kinda like NYC and upstate NY.

mjontrix

inb4 NSA having a gun registry jokes arrive - we know they have you don't need to keep pointing it out!

But yeah - if there's already a major distribution of guns with criminals don't make it harder for legit gunowners to own them.

Obviously we should get rid of all laws because criminals will just break them anyway. Right?

Obviously no problem flooding the US with guns right?

Just make it so fucking easy to buy a gun and lose it in the "system" that it becomes overwhelming to figure out where the gun came from. Then just give up ever working on gun crime problems.

Are criminals walking into a store and buying a "legal" gun? Hard to say because the NRA doesn't allow us to track any fucking stats related to gun ownership.

Obviously because people fuck up with guns we should just ban them. With 300 million firearms in the US gun control is completely futile, best move on to serious policy discussion.

$200

Banned

Easier sales -> More people buying guns -> More people buying more guns because they feel they need to defend against people with guns -> Profits.

Just look at the school shooting incident earlier this year, the NRA responded to it by encouraging there should be guns at schools to protect kids from people with guns -> More schools buying guns + Parents buying guns + Kids with guns -> $$$.

MikeDown

Banned
Yep thats exactly what Chicago needs, less gun laws
Thats right, cause criminals totally obey the law.

EDIT: That said, I don't know what to make of this. Usually I'm against the sort of crazy gun regulations, but I don't really see a registry as crazy if it helps makes police's work easier.

As is often said, the NRA isn't a lobby for the 2nd amendment as much as it is a lobby for gun manufacturers. Don't have to register your gun? I'll take 10!

Isn't there that one gun shop across the border in Indiana that sells/sold a fairly significant amount of guns that were used in murders/other crimes in Chicago?

Future

Leave a gun at a crime scene without fingerprints. UNTRACEABLE.

Got a picture of my license plate as I drove away. IM FUCKED

Piggus

Fuck the NRA.

Even as a gun owner myself, I have to agree. The NRA goes way too far with this shit.

Good. Shit wasn't working in Chicago regardless. Criminals are armed to the teeth there so I fail to see how a registry hurts them? "Oh push posh I can't use this Saturday night special to rob this store cause its not registered".

Shouldn't be a pain in the ass to get a gun for self defense if one qualifies. Especially when you live in a dangerous place with higher than average crime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom