• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago abolishes gun registry in place since 1968

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Chicago has gun deaths by the freaking caseload recently and stretching back for some time now, and these guys are celebrating abolishing gun registration? Jesus Christ.

I mean, they aren't even pretending to give a fuck.

Why did I know that leftist-GAF would be up in arms about this? :)

Because young people are dying in droves in Chicago in particular? Noone is going to be in favor of anything that might slow the astonishing death rate of young minorities in that city... Noone reasonable that is.

H2Yo

I'm not really sure I understand this, so Chicago has had heaps more gang related shootings so they removed the requirement to register guns?

That's like eating robbing a house because you have a stomach ache.

Hellraizah

Chicago has gun deaths by the freaking caseload recently and stretching back for some time now, and these guys are celebrating abolishing gun registration? Jesus Christ.

I mean, they aren't even pretending to give a fuck.

Because young people are dying in droves in Chicago in particular? Noone is going to be in favor of anything that might slow the astonishing death rate of young minorities in that city... Noone reasonable that is.

Gun control only puts barriers on normal citizen to get guns to defend themselves. That makes it easier for criminals, because they know that law abiding citizen are disarmed. Why was Chicago crime so high with the register?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
uh
did you guys not read the thing?

they changed the city law to comply with the state law, which was changed to comply with a court decision

Polk

What's wrong with having gun registry?
Can they refuse to register one pf your guns?
Or it's just government is spying on us thing?

gohepcat

Banned
Gun control only puts barriers on normal citizen to get guns to defend themselves. That makes it easier for criminals, because they know that law abiding citizen are disarmed. Why was Chicago crime so high with the register?

Can you NRA apologist just sack-up one time and admit the NRA are awful?

I've never seen a larger group of people parroting the same terrible ideas over and over. It's always a bunch of arm-chair bad-asses who have rarely been touched by actual gun violence.

Stand up for what's right.

...and I don't actually buy that the NRA are just gun industry lobbyists. I believe that actually believe this horseshit.

...and fuck the idea that this is a "liberal" stance on this subject. This is a human decency thing. Ask a vet who has actually seen action how they feel about this shit.

jambo

"In addition to eliminating the gun registry, the measures eliminated the requirement for gun owners to have a Chicago firearm permit."

wut

As an Australian I don't think I will ever understand this gun culture.

gohepcat

Banned
"In addition to eliminating the gun registry, the measures eliminated the requirement for gun owners to have a Chicago firearm permit."

wut

Ohh don't worry. Someone will be along shortly to explain how this shitty idea is actually a good thing. Probably by using some minute detail that you got wrong in your post.

Uggg.

Just because people don't know what an "assault rifle" is doesn't mean we shouldn't have a national electronic registry of guns owners.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Good. Shit wasn't working in Chicago regardless. Criminals are armed to the teeth there so I fail to see how a registry hurts them? "Oh push posh I can't use this Saturday night special to rob this store cause its not registered".

Shouldn't be a pain in the ass to get a gun for self defense if one qualifies. Especially when you live in a dangerous place with higher than average crime.
Good. Registries are unconstitutional.
Why did I know that leftist-GAF would be up in arms about this? :)

holy shit

Gun control only puts barriers on normal citizen to get guns to defend themselves. That makes it easier for criminals,

Actually I'm pretty sure hamstringing every single fucking method of enforcing gun control (as the NRA has been doing with its lobbying since at least the fucking Reagan administration) "makes it easier for criminals" but what do I know? I'm not part of this country's bizarre cult of kneejerking off every time the right of every household to own 100 firearms is seemingly put into jeopardy so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Try living in Chicago and losing people you grew up with to gun violence. Then I'll humor your smart-ass remarks.

I don't live in Chicago and I've lost multiple friends to gun violence and I'm increasingly starting to agree with remarks like gohepcat's.

gohepcat

Banned
Try living in Chicago and losing people you grew up with to gun violence. Then I'll humor your smart-ass remarks.

I doubt anyone really affected by gun violence would be celebrating this "victory" over a fucking gun registry. Everyone loses "people they grow up with". If you really witnessed loss though gun violence you would not be celebrating this shit.

I've seen parts of the world, hell even parts of this country, where guns were rare and I don't know one mother or father from Washington Park who would choose a gun over that.

H2Yo

Externally, I see all of North America between a rock and a hard place.

Hypothetically, if you were to just remove and ban all semi-automatic and automatic weapons, imagine how drastically the crime rate would go down.

...But since people are so used to having the 'luxury' of weapons at arms reach, certain people would never accept that.

I ask this to those with guns, if there were no need for protection would you happily give up your weapons?

I don't think so, I think self defense is a piss poor excuse for the sense of empowerment.

hwalker84

I ask this to those with guns, if there were no need for protection would you happily give up your weapons?
Hell no! I just find it weird how everyone assumes gun owners sit in their home polishing all their firearms with crazy stacks of food rations waiting to protect their families from looters when the government collapses.
I shoot for sport first protection second.

Hellraizah

To all the people talking about how less guns is better and more secure for everybody, can you answer me this question?

Why do all the big shootings of the past years in the US always happen in gun-free zones (school, cinemas, etc)?

tumblr_mt0fzxEH1f1rhkdfao1_500.png

Bleepey

To all the people talking about how less guns is better and more secure for everybody, can you answer me this question?

Why do all the big shootings of the past years in the US always happen in gun-free zones (school, cinemas, etc)?

1) Columbine had armed guards
2) When Gabrielle Giffords was shot there were armed and trained people who didn't shoot because they didn't want to hit innocent people. he was stopped when he dropped the magazine and took a chair to the head from a 74 year old man.
3) I dare you, i double dare you that you want to see people having firefights in a dark room with tonnes of people panicking.

You don't have to be against a national registry to realise that a city registry makes no sense, though. Why would anyone intending to commit a crime buy a gun in Chicago? They're pretty inconspicuous devices.

KingGondo

Banned
1) Columbine had armed guards
2) When Gabrielle Giffords was shot there were armed and trained people who didn't shoot because they didn't want to hit innocent people. he was stopped when he dropped the magazine and took a chair to the head from a 74 year old man.
3) I dare you, i double dare you that you want to see people having firefights in a dark room with tonnes of people panicking.
I believe he's attempting to make the asinine argument that "there's no point in having laws because criminals will just break them anyways."

Which, of course, is why we don't have laws against murder, robbery, burglary, fraud, jaywalking, or rape.

wut

Note it says "Chicago firearm permit", not "firearm permit". I don't know anything about the gun laws in Illinois, but the whole point of this article is that (some of) the Chicago-specific laws are being repealed and they then "roll back", as it were, to the state laws. So it's not like the laws are being removed and a gulf left in their wake, it's just that Chicago will revert to having the same laws as the rest of the state. For all I know, they could be more tough on guns, though given the responses here I'm guessing that isn't the case.

Guinness

Neo Member
From an European point of view, gun laws like this one are so mindfucking. Here nobody owns a gun except for hunting or sport shooting. Other gun owners are considered like psychos.

Nothing new but damn, it still amazed me to read news like this in 2013.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck the NRA.

A detective friend of mine explained how fucked up it is that they can't trace a gun to it's owner because you can't have a national electronic registry. So essentially we pay taxes for the police to spend millions of man hours on fucking PHONES calling gun manufactures, then gun shops, then tracking down gun owners to find out if they have had a gun stolen and didn't report it....or used a gun in a robbery. Meanwhile, almost any other item found at a crime scene can be traced electronically because....you know...logic and common sense.

The NRA, it's members, and it's supporters are irresponsible.

Thanks for hamstringing law enforcement because you are paranoid.

Does your detective friend ever tell you that when they do track down the person who used a gun in a crime it's usually someone who shouldn't have had one in the first place and obtained it illegally?

Simplet

Facepalm.gif

Ever notice how big shootings tend to happen in places where lots of people are grouped together so as to maximise impact? School, malls, cinemas, college campuses.... ARMY BASES

hmm I think I noticed an outlier in your theory here

Shambles

Might as well abolish the car registry as well while you're at it. Welcome back to the stone age Chicago and all the rest.

mackattk

Easier sales -> More people buying guns -> More people buying more guns because they feel they need to defend against people with guns -> Profits.

Just look at the school shooting incident earlier this year, the NRA responded to it by encouraging there should be guns at schools to protect kids from people with guns -> More schools buying guns + Parents buying guns + Kids with guns -> $$$.

Sadly, this is what it all comes down to. Less restrictions means more gun sales. Just follow the money trail and you will find the answer.

entremet

Does it matter? Gangsters sure as hell aren't going to bother to register their weapons anyway.

And crime is still terrible in Chicago. It obviously wasn't doing anything to prevent gun crimes. Criminals are gonna criminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom