• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

yacobod

Banned
sorta on topic, is anyone venturing across the border to Indiana, for 3 Floyd's Dark Lord Day at the end of the month?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
sorta on topic, is anyone venturing across the border to Indiana, for 3 Floyd's Dark Lord Day at the end of the month?

I wish.

But I have to work all 3 days of ACEN.

3. Days.

I love my gig with Yelp and our relationship with them in my side company. But damnit.

Unless I can bed a super-hot cosplayer, the weekend is a fail.

Oh, it's Northside Scahdenfruede season!

ToD_

Another vote for pequods. Never had it but looks and sounds awesome... plus, I'm starving at the moment and pizza is on my mind.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Why?

Doesn't every Cubs season end with Cub's Fan alone in his room crying?

:jnc

Detective Gaf assemble. I thought about making a seperate thread, then decided it kind of made sense to post here.

I'll try and make this short and sweet. There was a thread someone posted a while ago about a long lost family member reappearing. I shared in that thread that my mothers father vanished when she was a teenager, after her parent were divorced. She still saw him from time to time, but then he was just gone. His family never heard from him as far as we know, my mother says he stole money from them which could explain that, he didn't even go to his mothers funeral.

Obviously, everyone just assumed he died. He liked to drink it up, and he would never go anywhere he couldn't walk as he was in a bad car accident and refused to get in cars after that.

Any way. We were doing a little research, there isn't that much info to find, especially since we don't have a SSN. Managed to find a couple of things though. One of which was an address that he lived at after they seperated. The whole time my mother knew him after the divorce, he lived in a hotel. So at some point after he vanished he lived at this place.

Odds are obviously extremely high that he of course no longer lives there. Tried calling, the number isn't in service (it's an apartment building, and the number was just for the building itself not the actual apartment). For all we know, the whole thing has been gone for decades.

So the moral is, I was wondering if any detective Gaf out there happened to live near the area and felt like making a pit stop and seeing if there are any mail boxes or buzzers at the entrance with names on them.

Address is, 1124 W. Wilson Ave. Apt 12. Chicago, obviously, 60640. His name was Richard Nuss, but he might use a different first name (Ronnie or Ron). I thought about driving there, but I hate driving in Chicago since I'm from such a small ass town. And it's a good few hours drive, for 99.9% chance of finding nothing.

This wasn't a short message. I hope someone at least reads it. If anyone is feeling adventurous enough, pics of the building or whatever would be awesome.

ChiTownBuffalo

I live up on the Northside.

I can make a trip up there tomorrow.

I live up on the Northside.

I can make a trip up there tomorrow.

Fuck yeah. You deserve a prize. Sure you won't find anything exciting. But, you see crazy things like that from time to time.

My mom said there is no way he would have ever left Chicago, and last they knew he had never used any of his military benefits, so he surely died. Still pretty crazy we can't find a death record. Going to try and find his military papers tomorrow and see if we can find a SSN. She said she had them before, but has no clue where they are now. I spent a few hours today going through their attic and didn't find them.

Her younger brother was the last person to ever possibly hear of him. They had the same name, and one day her brother was standing at a hot dog stand and the guy behind him noticed his name and made a point to tell him how weird it was cause he worked with a Richard Nuss at a factory right around the block. Her brother didn't work up the courage to go there for a few days, and when he did he was told there was nobody there by the name. Pretty weird.

ChiTownBuffalo

Went out to the address. Took a pic, will upload when I get home. Its currently a men's hotel. Talked to the guy at the front desk and asked if they kept records of tenants. Nothing. Asked about factories in the area, he told me there was a vending machine factory around the corner.

3KNVh.jpg

ChiTownBuffalo

Uploaded the pic. The neighborhood is going through improvements.

I can imagine it was sketchy 10 yeas ago. I know historically, that area was Mafia turf.

Here is the L stop on the corner:

6nLFU.jpg

And a weird poster. I have no idea what this has to do with Lady Gaga, or hoe pwerful her swagger is.

vksvF.jpg

Haha. What the shit is a men's hotel? Going to go ahead and assume he hasn't lived there for a while.

Thanks for checking it out. That's awesome. My mother was thinking about sending a letter or some such shit, so you saved her some time and the misery of sitting around wondering if she would ever hear back.

ChiTownBuffalo

Haha. What the shit is a men's hotel? Going to go ahead and assume he hasn't lived there for a while.

Thanks for checking it out. That's awesome. My mother was thinking about sending a letter or some such shit, so you saved her some time and the misery of sitting around wondering if she would ever hear back.

Now a day's a Men's Hotel is like...a cheap by the place joint here guys can rent a room. I don't want to say flophouse.

Back in the day, after the war, its just where bachelor guys lived until they got married, etc.

It might not have been a Men's Hotel until fairly recently. I mean when I went inside, it looked institutional and the tenants I saw there looked like life had been rough.

Now a day's a Men's Hotel is like...a cheap by the place joint here guys can rent a room. I don't want to say flophouse.

Back in the day, after the war, its just where bachelor guys lived until they got married, etc.

It might not have been a Men's Hotel until fairly recently. I mean when I went inside, it looked institutional and the tenants I saw there looked like life had been rough.

Yeah. You may have been in the fucking danger zone going there, acccording to what I'm reading online. Finding multiple articles about stabbings and drugs and whatnot that talk about the men's hotel specifically. Havne't found any date for when it became that, but I have found one or two older looking pictures so it seems like it may have been this same place for a good while now. He was a drunk winner from the sounds of things so he probably fit right in.

Probably best that this all remains a mystery. My mom seemed like she was fighting to hold back her excitment at the thought of finding him, which I suppose is understandable. I was more curious just to figure out whatever happened to him, since I've always just assumed he died shortly after vanishing from her life. Proably died homeless and was just thrown in a john doe grave.

Leaving Chicago right now,.was here for a week for cousin's wedding. Ate at cafe babareeba, portillo's, bernellis, maxwells in westmont. Wedding food other times catered from saffron and Gaylord.

Such.wonderful weather and so great to be back in the city.

I definitely need to come for a week just as a culinary trip though.

oh and fuck the tolls, they are a pain in a rental car without ipass

ChiTownBuffalo

Yeah. You may have been in the fucking danger zone going there, acccording to what I'm reading online. Finding multiple articles about stabbings and drugs and whatnot that talk about the men's hotel specifically. Havne't found any date for when it became that, but I have found one or two older looking pictures so it seems like it may have been this same place for a good while now. He was a drunk winner from the sounds of things so he probably fit right in.

Probably best that this all remains a mystery. My mom seemed like she was fighting to hold back her excitment at the thought of finding him, which I suppose is understandable. I was more curious just to figure out whatever happened to him, since I've always just assumed he died shortly after vanishing from her life. Proably died homeless and was just thrown in a john doe grave.

Dude I do jiujitsu with is a Chicago police detective, I can see if he has the ability to look up people and get back to you if you ant.

ChiTownBuffalo

That neighborhood is not great by night but fine by day.

He might still live there, did you check?

Yeah, I walked in and talked to the staff clerk/manager guy. He's been running the place since the 60's.

Doesn't keep records and said I looked like the worst private investigator ever. Nice guy though.

Dude I do jiujitsu with is a Chicago police detective, I can see if he has the ability to look up people and get back to you if you ant.

That would be fucking awesome. See if he just has any suggestions even. I'm sure number one will be to try and find a SSN. Still trying to find his military papers. Sadly, I'm getting ready to head home in a few hours as I live a few hours from my parents currently. May be back next weekend to do some more searching.

Here is a story about a John Doe dying there back in January. Sadly, this is pretty much exactly what I assume happened to him in the end, minus the natural causes, since I would more bet he drunk himself to death: http://www.chicagonewsreport.com/2011/01/man-dies-at-uptown-wilson-club-hotel.html

EDIT: Err... last January. Still not used to the whole "it's 2012" thing.

Talon

That area of Wilson is interesting. I did some reporting around the area when Wilson Yard was starting up, and the development - Target and the assisted housing to the south - was pretty contentious. Was pretty rough when we were out there, but folks were friendly. Depressing as hell to talk to people my age that felt stuck because they had three kids already, and they couldn't find steady work.

Also, welfare doesn't really provide dick. Everyone I talked to would rather be working, even if it was at a sandwich shop.

ChiTownBuffalo

Looks like Pequods is winning for Chicago Gaf Spring Meet Up.

Ryaaan14

Banned
2 weeks from tomorrow I'll be spending a week back in Chicago to visit friends and family, if anyone wants to meet up for lunch or drinks or anything. I'll be staying at the Park Hyatt on Rush and the Hyatt Regency on Wacker.

ChiTownBuffalo

25 Douchiest Bars in Chicago

#1 is John Barleycorn

I've been to a few, but only the ones near iO.

Oh man, I've been to Vertigo and Empire Liquors. And of course Barleycorn, where drunks guys started a fight with some dudes on my jiujitsu team. Good times.

But Wrigleyville is the douchiest place in the city.

glow

Banned
25 Douchiest Bars in Chicago

#1 is John Barleycorn

I've been to a few, but only the ones near iO.

#3 is Smart Bar? Shut the hell up! When they're hosting a good night with well-known dj's, the crowd is awesome, the sound is UK club-quality, bartenders are good, and yeah drinks are overpriced but that's expected for the area. Replace Smart Bar with Kincade's or The Owl, both of them belong on that list.

Just got back from 5 days in Chicago with the wife. Our first visit. It also came a month after visiting New York City for the first time.
In our opinion, between the two, Chicago by a magnificent mile. See what I did there?
Our next trip back will definitely be in the summer as obviously the amazing shoreline is meant for that. Parks & gardens everywhere.
We went to Saturdays Cubs game and I was actually happy to see a classic Cubs collapse. Just felt right. Man, National League baseball blows. Pitchers hitting? End that shit!
Can't get over the crazy 12:05 start time. Got there early and drinking beers at Murphys Bleachers around 10am. =O After the game drinking more and dancing at a bar behind home plate. We grooved pretty good for a couple of 40+ yr olds(we were hammered).
Walked down to Soldier Field, went to the Aquarium, Field Museum, top of the Hancock, Navy Peir, river boat tour, Rosebud Prime etc...
What I thought was odd was the complete lack of a Police presence. Saw one patrol car the entire time.
Had such a blast with an amazing woman who shares my love for food, drink & a good time.

ChiTownBuffalo

So, going to work at ACEN, and got a list of random stuff form the convention.

Notice one category for cosplay is "Asian Men."

WTF?

bart jr

Neo Member
Sorry in advance for the long post-
I'll be making a trip to Chicago in a couple weeks and was hoping for some advice/guidance from you all.

My girlfriend, myself, and a friend of ours will be heading to Chicago on a Thursday and will be leaving late that Sunday night. We have specific areas that we will be hanging out in each day, and I was hoping for suggestions on a decent hotel that is central to all 3 and are decently priced. Our schedule is looking like this:

Thursday - Drive to Chicago from Ohio
Friday - Spend the day downtown(my gf wants to shop on Michigan Ave and hang in the city)
Saturday - Chicago Ridge(going to watch a couple wrestling shows and that's it)
Sunday - Rosemont, IL(soley hitting up the WWE PPV that night then heading home)

We don't mind making a 20-30 minute drive each day from our hotel, we just want to stay in a decent area that isn't overpriced.

Also, we are welcome to any suggestions on things to do in each of those cities. My girlfriend has never been to Chicago, but the two main things she wants to do on Friday is shop on Michigan Avenue and go to Millennium Park. My interests include record shops(I mostly listen to hip hop and hardcore/punk), video games, and toys/vinyl. Our main purpose for this trip is to hit up some wrestling shows, so if there's anything else that pertains to that that we may like, by all means let us know. Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the long post.

FStop7

Banned
So yesterday I was flipping channels and passed WGN. To my shock I discovered a girl I was friends with in high school is now co-anchoring the evening news. Lourdes Duarte. Be nice to her, Chicago. She was really cool in HS.

Luixfern

#3 is Smart Bar? Shut the hell up! When they're hosting a good night with well-known dj's, the crowd is awesome, the sound is UK club-quality, bartenders are good, and yeah drinks are overpriced but that's expected for the area. Replace Smart Bar with Kincade's or The Owl, both of them belong on that list.

Seriously, what is the author smoking? Smart Bar is probably the best place for house in Chicago.

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

Sorry in advance for the long post-
I'll be making a trip to Chicago in a couple weeks and was hoping for some advice/guidance from you all.

My girlfriend, myself, and a friend of ours will be heading to Chicago on a Thursday and will be leaving late that Sunday night. We have specific areas that we will be hanging out in each day, and I was hoping for suggestions on a decent hotel that is central to all 3 and are decently priced. Our schedule is looking like this:

Thursday - Drive to Chicago from Ohio
Friday - Spend the day downtown(my gf wants to shop on Michigan Ave and hang in the city)
Saturday - Chicago Ridge(going to watch a couple wrestling shows and that's it)
Sunday - Rosemont, IL(soley hitting up the WWE PPV that night then heading home)

We don't mind making a 20-30 minute drive each day from our hotel, we just want to stay in a decent area that isn't overpriced.

Also, we are welcome to any suggestions on things to do in each of those cities. My girlfriend has never been to Chicago, but the two main things she wants to do on Friday is shop on Michigan Avenue and go to Millennium Park. My interests include record shops(I mostly listen to hip hop and hardcore/punk), video games, and toys/vinyl. Our main purpose for this trip is to hit up some wrestling shows, so if there's anything else that pertains to that that we may like, by all means let us know. Thanks in advance, and sorry again for the long post.

You might check out Oak Park/Cicero or something. Chicago Ridge is south west of the city and Rosemont is north west. Those areas would be int he middle.

Toys/Vinyl, check out Rotofugi.

ChiTownBuffalo

I'm not that excited this year for it.

Maybe Black Sabbath?

joelseph

Lolla lineup is always whack for edm and rap and good music all around. This year is no exception. Thankfully Pitchfork got their shit together this year. GRIMES!!

For me, I'm interested in: The Black Keys, Florence + the Machine, maybe Sabbath, The Weeknd, M83, Metric, Tune-Yards, JC Brooks and the Uptown Sound, maybe Franz Ferdinand.

I'll probably end up going.

JCX

Lolla lineup is always whack for edm and rap and good music all around. This year is no exception. Thankfully Pitchfork got their shit together this year. GRIMES!!

I'm excited for Grimes, but also glad they announced more bands. My P4K lineup is

Friday: Dirty Projectors, Feist
Saturday: Cults, Grimes, Sleigh Bells, Wild Flag
Sunday: Beach House, Real Estate, maybe Vampire Weekend

Might get a day pass for Lolla depending on the schedule.

joelseph

I'm excited for Grimes, but also glad they announced more bands. My P4K lineup is

Friday: Dirty Projectors, Feist
Saturday: Cults, Grimes, Sleigh Bells, Wild Flag
Sunday: Beach House, Real Estate, maybe Vampire Weekend

Might get a day pass for Lolla depending on the schedule.

Yes! Amber Coffman Friday, Grimes Saturday. I will marry one of them.

Top Bottom