• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Prodigy vs. Video Games - kid destroys his games (Youtube)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That doesn't make you a better person, it makes you a person that spends more time doing those things. What if somebody plays a lot of games and through playing them, they develop an understanding of how game design works and have a career as a game designer or something? It's not like playing games is a complete timesink. It can be productive too.

I read up on the kid a little and apparently he actually is very smart but his mom parades him around to the media. Depressing.

Yeah, that's the messiah stuff I was talking about.

And I'm not saying the statement is correct, I'm just saying that's his message

Vormund

Yeah, if video games are a problem in someone's life, chances are their real problem is a lack of self control. I own lots of games. I also own lots of books. So far I haven't had to take a hammer to one collection in order to devote time to the other.

Ding Ding.

Moderation. I love reading non-fiction, but you need times to chill and play a game. You can do both.

Well actually apparently this kid can not.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Ding Ding.

Moderation. I love reading non-fiction, but you need times to chill and play a game. You can do both.

Well actually apparently this kid can not.

I wonder if he is allowed too... and his little brother looked pretty upset as well. Nothing like building them fucking complexes at an early age :D

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Oh, so thats one of the Barnett kids right? Yeah, the kid is crazy smart. Video games are not inherently bad. Also, I want to punch him in the face for being an annoying kid.

The beginning of the video is pretty awkward with the Corvette and all.

Like father, like son I guess, they both like to show off their "superiority" to their neighbors and through youtube to the world! Seems like he's right on track to become a douche.

I wonder if his parents forced him to do this to get attention or maybe video games were making him study less so they tried to put a stop to it.

His games are also all pretty old so this could be staged as well.

And now he will be forever known as the kid who destroyed games on the internet.
Good luck with that don't understand why people want to put their shit on the internet.

But his conclusion is destroying video games will make kids smart.
Is a GED hard to do here in the Netherlands we don't have such a thing to my knowledge.

FHIZ

As a rule of thumb, I only take advice from people whose clothes fit properly. Sorry random internet child.

Child prodigy still acts like a dumbass kid. Surprise surprise.
child prodigy IS a dumbass..
most prodigies nowdays are glorified dumbass on the top of that...

heck 100 or so years ago, kicking a ball would hardly be called more than a child's play, now it's a full-fledged job..
I don't want to think that gaming will just be esports and competitition in the distant future, but at least consider it a respectable hobby...

I've literally givend cold shoulder to plenty chicks from the gym because after we decide to go out and all their reaction to my being a gamer is "ewww" or "lame"... Can't stand those sort of persons..
I mean, i'm fit as hell, I've got a job (and my pay is quite higher than the median, and i might add a lot HIGHER than other people with my same years of experience...), I'm currently living in a rented house but I've got an house in the city where my family resides (currently empty since I don't live there any longer), I love reading books and doing any sports (pretty much any sports, from running to skiing, from bb to team sports) both and I'm not even ugly or anything.. BUT society (and in this I include my parents and relatives as well, mind you) simply can't accept that i like playing videogames and that I won't give gaming up even now that I'm two step shy from the 30s and the common reaction to my gaming habit is almost disgust or "nerd" nicknames...
Is being a gamer such a bad thing? Bah..

And then we have this little smartass acting shmuck... bah....

demidar

And now he will be forever known as the kid who destroyed games on the internet.
Good luck with that don't understand why people want to put their shit on the internet.

Is a GED hard to do here in the Netherlands we don't have such a thing to my knowledge.

Yes if this video catches on it's gonna be bad for his future. IF it catches on, I don't think it will though.

The problem I have with prodigies is that since they are really goddamn smart (and I don't mean this in a bad way), it makes expectations about their future really goddamn high, like curing cancer high. But because of their unique situation they aren't as well adjusted as people of middling to above average intelligence. They might get paraded around by the parents saying "Look how smart my kid is!" as someone has mentioned, he might be stuck indoors and forced to study all day to fulfill his potential, he'll be sent to the best schools and lose contact with his friends, etc. etc., and they just might affect his psyche. Expectations can be hell on a person, and I see some similarities to child stars and their descent into madness (Frankie Muniz, that home alone kid, Lindsay Lohan)

I guess what I'm saying is while I think prodigies should make the best of their gifts, it shouldn't be at the cost of their mental development, but that's squarely up to the parents. A prodigy that snaps isn't gonna do anyone any good.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess he bailed out. Hahahahahah.

Speaking of gifted children, if offered a chance should my child is "one", I'd rather not have him or her skip a level. Social interaction and maturity shouldn't be ignored after all.

Minecraft is a creative game. It's freaking legos

This comparison makes me shudder because I'm a Lego fan :/

"I'm not done with you, don't run away from me!"

"Let's just put it down, I wanna... I wanna screw this one!"

"There we go!"

"Heheheh... I feel like I'm gonna do it again... How about, how about that?"

"Feels real good inside to be honest with ya!"

"Is that even possible?! I've got concrete stuck on it."

;)

Seriously though, just sell the games dumbass.
Those quotes are somewhat disturbing if you don't know what he's talking about.
:/

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
What a psycho, breaking things is usually a symptom of anger or mental deficiency.
If he really were a prodigy, he would have donated them to the sick kids hospital.

Trying to make a prodigy from an immature human being, sort of like trying to make a woman out of a 3 year-old girl in a beauty pageant.

Idiots.

Meh I am in Law School.

I spend a good 12 hours a day studying, reading, or something for school.

The one-two hours of gaming I do a day, if I am lucky, keeps me sane.

So, meh to his opinion.

MrMephistoX

A large portion of the blame also needs to go to parents who simply park the kids in front of the electronic baby sitter and don't enforce study time: an academic work ethic and ability to control one's time (and later life) needs to be taught. I kind of doubt this kid simply sprang from the womb ready to study.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I saw the title and expected like SNES super plays by some kid still in elementary school.

graydavis

Banned

Video is down so I couldn't watch it,
Anyway I teach a GED prep course to immigrants to the United States arriving as refugees and it covers deep, thought provoking topics like plants need sunlight to live, and a car won't start if the battery is dead! Realistically, it is about on par with the expected abilities of 13 to 15 year old students.
Frankly my little sister does all that stuff these "prodigies" do, multiple languages (Japanese, Karen, Polish, English), instruments (violin,piano), is a Ballerina, studies math and science (currently I am teaching her what is considered GED) well beyond what is expected at her age, but she doesn't shove her head up her butt and act as if she is better than other people due to having a family that is willing to support her learning and expect a lot out of her. Intelligence isn't some pass to talk down to others or fit to tell them how to run their lives. I know Plato Complex isn't a disorder, or anything at all, but it certainly should be. Though maybe it simply is a superiority complex.

Kinda reminds me of an episode of that 90s show Parker Lewis cant lose. The nerdy friend had let games take over his life and decides to publicly destroy them by driving a steam-roller over his collection.

Boss Man

Can't wait until one of these kids falls behind in school and the mom yanks him out and home schools him because the school "doesn't know how to handle a mind like his."

I guess that video games can sort of be a waste of time. With insights like that this child is truly the genius that the world has been waiting for and I'm sure he will find whatever his rich parents bribed him with to be better than call of duty.

Caelus

I'm considered a child genius, and I love playing video games. It's a nice break from my studies.

Also, it says the video has been removed by the user. :lol

Oh, nope. Saw it. Pathetic, why would he drill a copy of Lego Star Wars? That's being overly dramatic... he can be an actual philanthropist and give the games away, or use his genius common sense and sell them for a quick buck.

Top Bottom