• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child Prodigy vs. Video Games - kid destroys his games (Youtube)

Zee-Row

Banned
I thought it was going to be a Video Game about a Child Genius that destroys games in a winning sense (Speed runs).

graydavis

Banned
Finally watched it (sort of) if he's such a prodigy, why didn't he have the good sense to wear safety goggles while using power tools? Or his father simply negligent?
Also why did he have to go and damage public property at that park, I'm sure he caused some damage to that sidewalk.

Hypron

I can't really watch the video right now, but what makes him a "prodigy"? Is he going to college at 12 or something like that?

Caelus

Finally watched it (sort of) if he's such a prodigy, why didn't he have the good sense to wear safety goggles while using power tools? Or his father simply negligent?

Prodigy means he's probably proficient at math, science, musical composition, etc. It doesn't mean he has a clue what he's doing.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
This kid is awesome. Knows what he wants, which is more than I can say for most in this world.

And to those thinking he is "weird," he is a young kid who loves reading more than videogames. Stop the hate. I always made it a ritual to burn the class material I had gathered for the year. I don't see this as much different.

My favorite part: "not the reality of it... byebye... I'm not done with you, don't run away from me!"

Codeblue

I thought this was going to be Game Center CX but with a little kid instead of a Japanese comedian.

I was a child prodigy once, I beat Super Mario World when I was four.

Kid is pretty insufferable though. If you aren't going to donate the games at least sell them for a paltry sum at GameStop and donate it to charity.

8 and he apparently cured himself of autism. Presumably with calculus.

Autism that he used his medical degree to diagnose himself with.

And to those thinking he is "weird," he is an 11 year old kid who loves reading more than videogames. Stop the hate.

My favorite part: "not the reality of it... byebye... I'm not done with you, don't run away from

I`ve known a lot of book worms, none of them acted like this kid. Though he`s so young that it`s probably appropriate to put the blame on his parents for making him think and act this way.

Why do people refer to children as 'prodigies' anyway? I take one look at classical music over the last two centuries and can ask "did anyone beat Mozart?" NOPE. Who the hell calls their kid a progeny if they can't beat Mozart, the real, the only prodigy that probably ever lived?

(and had the worst childhood ever. Be careful what you wish for)

Am I the only person who knows the context of the parable of Narcissus?

Gummb

I`ve known a lot of book worms, none of them acted like this kid. Though he`s so young that it`s probably appropriate to put the blame on his parents for making him think and act this way.

Well, based on a couple posts above your's, he's also autistic. I really don't see the problem here. I liked smashing stuff when I was young, and if I had parents who convinced me that videogames would destroy my life, maybe I would have smashed my games for fun. XD

Gummb

Why do people refer to children as 'prodigies' anyway? I take one look at classical music over the last two centuries and can ask "did anyone beat Mozart?" NOPE. Who the hell calls their kid a progeny if they can't beat Mozart, the real, the only prodigy that probably ever lived?

Actually, a lot of studies have shown that prodigies (a person with a seemingly divine gift for something) don't actually exist, but rather those who are "prodigies" actually spent a lot of time practicing their talent until they were good. Mozart is no exception. His father studied how to best teach music and he used what he learned on his son, Mozart from a very early age. Mozart's first compositions also were probably highly edited by his father. It wasn't until Mozart turned 21 that his first "masterclass" composition was created giving him a lot of practice beforehand. Also, the rumor that he never edited his music is also a myth based on something he said to the public once. His original scores show edit marks.

oops, double post. More people should comment. :(

Mirror: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxoOofB4gvM

The kid lacks what you would expect an 11 year old or whatever to lack: perspective. He might be smart, but he doesnt have enough perspective to realize that not very many kids are wired to want to study all the times.

He spends all this time bragging about how he finished a GED book and a book on Meteorology in 1 month, cover to cover, as if he has ntohing else to attribute that to except for the fact that he doesn't play video games. What about the fact that you're pretty fucking smart, too? Not everyone is, it's not like everyone is just gonna put the games down and all of a sudden read a fucking meteorology book.

I really don't give a hoot that he wanted to destroy the games like some people here, but it's his general attitude of "look at how awesome I am" that makes him a dick to me. He could have done the same thing without being a pompous ass and made his point better. This is the type of guy that you ask him to explain something to and he talks down to you the whole time saying stuff like "yea it's trivial because you just use the mean value theorem. I mean I just told you about the mean value theorem, you didn't already forget about it did you? It should be obvious"

If he owns the games he can do w/e the hell he wants with them as far as I'm concerned.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Asshole.

Could have donated them to child's play

He spends all this time bragging about how he finished a GED book and a book on Meteorology in 1 month, cover to cover, as if he has ntohing else to attribute that to except for the fact that he doesn't play video games. What about the fact that you're pretty fucking smart, too? Not everyone is, it's not like everyone is just gonna put the games down and all of a sudden read a fucking meteorology book..

Can he do high school Mathematics without a calculator?

Lol what did i just watch. I can't imagine wasting hundreds of your parent's hard earned money would get much of a point across to anybody.

I'm sure he's fairly smart, but I'm just going to point out that actually getting a GED even at his age isn't that hard. It certainly doesn't make you a "Prodigy" or anything of the sort, there's other reasons why people attend school.

On another note i find it interesting that i watched that video while the gamesphere episode of southpark was on. Lol this kid might have been on to something

Caelus

I'm sure he's fairly smart, but I'm just going to point out that actually getting a GED even at his age isn't that hard. It certainly doesn't make you a "Prodigy" or anything of the sort, there's other reasons why people attend school.

I actually read my mom's GED prep book cover to cover, it isn't as hard as other prep books. Is this how this kid thinks he's a prodigy? In that case I'm a prodigy too, give me a medal lol

Rebel Leader

I actually read my mom's GED prep book cover to cover, it isn't as hard as other prep books. Is this how this kid thinks he's a prodigy? In that case I'm a prodigy too, give me a medal lol

I guess I am aswell

Let's look down on dumb people D_D

drspeedy

Wait, wait, wait... Has no one here seen Jeseeuss Camp? The idea of shoddy, obvious poor parenting via overzealous what-everism hadnever been better illustrated than in that movie.

Blame the parents, GAF. They predicated, scripted and taped that crap- and got the vette. This clip's genesis ain't rocket surgery.

Clip for reference (someone paste the dinohead gif):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdt_f0hwUg

Rebel Leader

Clip for reference (someone paste the dinohead gif):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdt_f0hwUg

Your wish is my command, Master:
1vknQ.gif

Actually, a lot of studies have shown that prodigies (a person with a seemingly divine gift for something) don't actually exist, but rather those who are "prodigies" actually spent a lot of time practicing their talent until they were good. Mozart is no exception. His father studied how to best teach music and he used what he learned on his son, Mozart from a very early age. Mozart's first compositions also were probably highly edited by his father. It wasn't until Mozart turned 21 that his first "masterclass" composition was created giving him a lot of practice beforehand. Also, the rumor that he never edited his music is also a myth based on something he said to the public once. His original scores show edit marks.

oops, double post. More people should comment. :(

*small note after typing response: not trying to be offensively aggressive, just drunk.

I'm well aware of the talent myth. But I appreciate the enthusiasm nonetheless.

But comparing any random child with "mediocrities, I absolve you" is to me the ultimate sign of hubris and lack of knowledge on the parable of Narcissus ("will my child be happy?""he will as he doesn't lay eyes upon himself" Which of course he does eventually anyway, causing him to become stuck in gazing at himself, wondering).

I really have a big issue with parents jumping on the "highly gifted" / "prodigy" bandwagon. It's disgusting and sets completely unrealistic standards for the children involved.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It is kind of funny anymore to see this sort of hate and demonization since videogames are winning. Which is to say, ideas and culture keep evolving. No matter how many people desperately attempt to demonize that which is new and asked them to alter the course of their reality tunnel.

shaowebb

I respect the child for trying to make a statement that people need to have more self control, but I disagree with his method of doing so. It is wonderful he achieved so much on his own at his young age. It is a testament to what people can achieve if they dedicate themself to a goal.

However, videogames are not the problem. People need to learn to prioritize. If you spend all day on a game and refuse to try to earn any real world achievements that can effect your life in a positive manner then you will never have a positive future. This is not the game's fault though and destroying them doesn't do anything. This problem is the result of someone giving up, of someone being lazy, and in general of someone just refusing to face the risk of failure to get ahead.

Videogames didn't start making people lazy and destroying them doesn't fix the problem. People have to fix their own problems. The games should have just been donated to the underpriveleged if he wanted rid of them as a statement that he had higher goals. I play games, but I also play 2 instruments, practice martial arts, and am working toward a degree in Animation (which can be benefitted by my other hobbies). I prioritize my future over my leisure time. That is what the child was trying to tell others to do by explaining his own achievements. This child sends the wrong message by trying to be shocking. though. Good on the kid for working hard, but bad on him for blaming games for a failing people simply refused to deal with themselves. Games don't block people from achieving goals. Willpower does. A nice sentiment from this child, but he expresses it in a manner that paints games in a negative light they dont deserve.

Bgamer90

Banned

Man I almost clicked X when the kid was saying "Really!"

One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing kids try to act like grown ups. I cringe when watching episodes of Jeopardy when they have kids tournaments because many of the kids are so snotty and stuck up trying to act like they are 40+ years old. Many child celebs are like that too when being interviewed.

Anyways the kid is smart and probably feels like he's above kids his age but what he did in the video shows that his maturity and common sense (or lack thereof) is pretty much on the same level of most kids that are around his age.

Loxley

Was that filmed under water? What's with the weird distortion going on? Did someone slip me a pot brownie?

Also, I think this is the first time I've ever seen someone, much less a kid, brag about being interested in meteorology.

Zomba13

This kid is awesome. Knows what he wants, which is more than I can say for most in this world.

And to those thinking he is "weird," he is a young kid who loves reading more than videogames. Stop the hate. I always made it a ritual to burn the class material I had gathered for the year. I don't see this as much different.

My favorite part: "not the reality of it... byebye... I'm not done with you, don't run away from me!"

I love games more than reading and I don't make a youtube vid bragging about my ability to beat hard games super quick and then burn some books. It'd be pretty weird if I did that wouldn't it?

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm sorry but I laughed at this comment:

so we have the so-called 'child prodigy', the balding mid-life crisis father, and probably the annoying younger sibling. just throw in the over-protective stay-at-home mother and you have the complete package

Sounds like a sitcom!

mantidor

that was... underwhelming, some kid breaking some games, which aren't really that amazing to begin with, and even if they were, so what?

(and had the worst childhood ever. Be careful what you wish for)

Am I the only person who knows the context of the parable of Narcissus?

See prodigies are very interesting, we base our measurement of them in tests like the IQ which really only measure specific abilities in certain fields. Someone ( and now this may sound like a conspiracy theory, but bare with me) told me that that was simply because after the industrial revolution abilities in math, logic etc, were desirable to maintain this new status quo of engineers and technology, they just need employees with those characteristics, so the people in charge began to make all this "desirable" and "admirable", who cares about art geniuses anyway? or social geniuses? or people good at empathy? we need engineers, and we'll make it sound like is the ultimate job of the "really smart".

But the truth is (again, I'm only citing this someone) is that people have abilities in a huge range of fields, and that the skew towards the math, logic side is only because is what is required for the workforce. It does make sense to be honest, when did you see any of these geniuses achieve any position of power? what child prodigy becomes president? or CEO of huge corporations? if anything we know the likes if Bill Gates or Steve Jobs weren't really the geniuses in logic and computers that people assume they were, but their ability lied elsewhere, and you don't see that kind of ability being that "admirable", we don't even have a name for it. But they sure as hell were good at it, I would call it "business ability" but that really doesn't start to cover their true expertise.

or, for the tl;dr version

Prodigy means he's probably proficient at math, science, musical composition, etc. It doesn't mean he has a clue what he's doing.

Dan Yo

Banned
so we have the so-called 'child prodigy', the balding mid-life crisis father, and probably the annoying younger sibling. just throw in the over-protective stay-at-home mother and you have the complete package
She's the one holding the camera.

Top Bottom