• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Childrens Hospital on Adult Swim -- The most extreme medical parody show ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beat

part two

I wouldn't have bumped the thread normally if this was just part two, but there's also news here: Newsreaders will be another CH spinoff!
[Corddry:] I might be breaking news here, but we just got Newsreaders picked up as a spinoff. So, Newsreaders is gonna be Adult Swim's fake news show. And it's gonna have nothing to do with Childrens, except it's gonna hopefully star Mather, and just be a fake news show. One of our problems was--it's so funny--"How do we make this dissimilar from The Daily Show?" I was like, "Well, it has nothing to do with The Daily Show, in that everything is made up. But how do we make this dissimilar to The Onion?" [Laughs.] Because that's all made up.

This show looks incredibly terrible, which is a shame because I love just about everyone on it. Maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days since so many like it.

beat

Vincent Alexander said:
This show looks incredibly terrible, which is a shame because I love just about everyone on it. Maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days since so many like it.
I guess it's not for everyone. But don't go in expecting it's like Scrubs or really any regular network sitcom -- CH is filled with jokes but at the expense of character or plot, really. It's insane and totally willing to go almost anywhere - few shows would do an extended homage to Do the Right Thing complete with a music video to spoof the intro, or a theater production, or a fake live show.

And it's not just the regular cast that's excellent; the guest cast is almost uniformly super funny.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
beat said:
I guess it's not for everyone. But don't go in expecting it's like Scrubs or really any regular network sitcom -- CH is filled with jokes but at the expense of character or plot, really. It's insane and totally willing to go almost anywhere - few shows would do an extended homage to Do the Right Thing complete with a music video to spoof the intro, or a theater production, or a fake live show.

And it's not just the regular cast that's excellent; the guest cast is almost uniformly super funny.
Seeing as how it takes place in the same hospital as scrubs, I could understand being thrown off, but it is truly funny. The 70s episode had me dying. From the hotdog crisis and blake doing his best florida evans impersonation, to the black doctor/woman doctor scene.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Android18a said:
So it's not just a remake of the old Childrens Ward show from the 80s/90s then?

No, it's a hilarious parody of various medical TV shows, among other things. Everyone should watch it, it's really funny stuff.

beat

part 3: http://www.avclub.com/articles/rob-corddry-walks-us-through-childrens-hospitals-t,64066/

There's a little discussion about the Party Down reunion in the "Party Down" episode. John Enbom didn't write that bit - they did ask - because he wasn't even sure he would be legally able to. Note that CH ended up switching the bow tie colours and not actually naming any of the PD characters, so they were skirting a line -- they were recognizably the PD characters, but not in PD-specific clothing and not explicitly using Starz-owned characters.

Jeramii

Banned
garth-marenghis-darkplace_625x352.jpg

i respectfully disagree with the title of this thread. childrens hospital is SECOND most extreme medical parody show ever.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Jeramii said:
garth-marenghis-darkplace_625x352.jpg

i respectfully disagree with the title of this thread. childrens hospital is SECOND most extreme medical parody show ever.

there needs to be a damn crossover. i want this so badly now.

big ander

Vincent Alexander said:
This is a show where if you like the people on it, you'll love the show. The show has absolutely zero real plot. It's all jokes and the actors being hilarious.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Woah woah woah. I just found out that the North Hollywood Medical Center was torn down in July. Where the hell is Childrens Hospital going to film now? =/

big ander

Seraphis Cain said:
Woah woah woah. I just found out that the North Hollywood Medical Center was torn down in July. Where the hell is Childrens Hospital going to film now? =/
I've been wondering the same, but considering none of the cast has tweeted worriedly about it I'm assuming they have a location. Hopefully they make a joke about it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Adult Swim Announces Largest Programming Schedule Ever for 2012-13

This August, Childrens Hospital returns for its fourth season and continues to live up to its reputation as the greatest hospital drama in the history of recorded media. Applauded for its tight stories and medical accuracy, this season reaches new heights: an airborne virus threatens to destroy the hospital and perhaps society, a search for the mysterious PA announcer Sal Viscuso reveals an undercurrent of evil powering the hospital, the origins of Chief's handicaps are revealed, a beloved regular character dies a couple of times, and Sy gets a dog! Also, from across the pond, we bring you the British version of Childrens Hospital (subtitled). Finally, 30% more story and character development! For free! The show's creative team is led by Rob Corddry (Hot Tub Time Machine, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart) and fellow executive producers/writers Jonathan Stern (The Ten; NTSF:SD:SUV::) and David Wain (Wet Hot American Summer, Wanderlust, Superjail!). Childrens Hospital is produced by Abominable Pictures and Warner Bros. Television Group's Studio 2.0, and distributed by Warner Bros. Television.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Did no one watch? It was pretty great. Especially the Chief/Owen part. edit: no Sal though! What's up with that

I did! I thought it was great as well. I loved the end, when Sy poured the toxic waste into the trash can and the tattoo guy grabbed the box full of used needles out of the dumpster and gave the kid a tattoo. lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Very fun episode. I loved how we were getting daydreams within daydreams within daydreams by the end. Inception, Children's Hospital style!

Mariolee

How does this thread not have more replies. Childrens Hospital is consistently the most hilarious show on adult swim.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Really fun episode.

"First off, the organ supply room needs cleaning"
"I'll do it!"
"Wear gloves this time"
"I'll do it my own way!"

So....is Malin Akerman done with the show completely or was she busy filming something else entirely while the show was shooting S4?

beat

So....is Malin Akerman done with the show completely or was she busy filming something else entirely while the show was shooting S4?

The show's never had the budget to pay every actor to appear in every episode, so they've always had to rotate 'em.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I always enjoy the "behind the scenes" show within the show type stuff. It always makes me laugh whenever I hear the name "Cutter Spindell". lol

All in all a great episode otherwise sullied by the horrid Josh Sussman. Blegh.

ezekial45

Banned
Didn't know there was a thread till now. It's a really fun show, and it's very creative.

Next week's "UK" episode should be pretty great.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
This has to be the best episode in a while, if only because it was a different cast.

Would they consider extending CH UK into a series?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fun episode, throwing a ton of class issues and fancy diction on top of the regular medical parody.

When Sy (sp?) pulled out the snake I couldn't stop laughing. The horror on the girl's face killed me.

Her facial expressions were adorable, and hilarious.

hateradio said:
I think that'd be redundant, but maybe they can revisit this in another episode, like the Newsreaders eps and the recent behind-the-scenes one.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I love how it took me the full episode to figure out where I saw that one girl from... Walking Dead. I feel so stupid, it was driving me crazy.

big ander

This has to be the best episode in a while, if only because it was a different cast.

Hm. The cast of CH is the only reason I started the show in the first place and a huge part of why I enjoy it.
I love how it took me the full episode to figure out where I saw that one girl from... Walking Dead. I feel so stupid, it was driving me crazy.
I was more ashamed of myself for not realizing Glen was Dileep Rao aka Extraneous Guy from Inception

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom