• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book (DS) planned?

Sauce: gamefront.de

Square Enix soll angeblich an Chocobo to Mahoo no Ehon für Nintendo DS arbeiten. Das geht aus einer Händlerpreisliste hervor, wo der Artikel mit einem Erscheinungstermin im Winter 2006 auftaucht. Um was es sich handelt, ist unklar.

Eine offizielle Ankündigung bzw. Bestätigung von Square Enix liegt noch nicht vor.

Not formally announced yet by SE, but still nice to have more SE support for the DS.

btw, what does Chocobo to Mahoo no Ehon mean?

*sigh* forgot to put (DS) in topic title :p oh well

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Maybe they mean Chocobo no fushigi no ehon? :D
Chocobo dungeon crawling through classic fairy tales!
I have no idea what this game will be.

jesusraz

Sorry to drag this up, but only just spotted it. Right, so let's have a look-see at what Square Enix has for the DS:

24th August - Final Fantasy III
~October - Dragon Quest Monsters
Winter 2006: Chocobo & the Magic Picture-Book
2007 - FF: CC

And there are the already released Egg Monster Heroes, DQ: Rocket Slime, Children of Mana and Mario Basket...

Not a bad turn out, don't you think? What else could they have up their sleeves? A DS remake of Super Mario RPG? A Jupiter-developed Kingdom Hearts? ANOTHER Mana?

Damn, wish they'd give us some Chrono loving...

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm going to say it's a capture the monster game. They've got one for DQ, why not FF?

jesusraz

Jonnyram said:
FFTactics DS perhaps?

Considering how successful FF Tactics and Kingdom Hearst were on the GBA, you'd think they were givens for the DS.

Personally I'd like to see them resurrecting some of their Enix properties - a compilation of Soul Blazer, Illusion of Time/Gaia and Terranigma would do just nicely ;) But more likely are a set of DQ ports/remakes...

Sounds kiddy as hell. :p Has there been a FF Fushigi no Dungeon yet?

More SE support is always nice. I'd love to see more remakes like FFIII. Or a Nintendo Hearts. :D

jarrod

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Sounds kiddy as hell. :p Has there been a FF Fushigi no Dungeon yet?
There's been 3...

-Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon (PS) 1997 Square/Chunsoft
-Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon 2 (PS) 1998 Square/TOSE
-Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon for WonderSwan (WS) 1999 Bandai/TOSE

Jonnyram

The description I read on the site where the news originated didn't sound like a typical Fushigi no Dungeon game. In fact, there's already been a couple of Chocobo Fushigi no Dungeon games on the PS, so they'd probably stick to that title if that's what it was going to be.

The site said that you also adventure with White Mage and Black Mage amongst others. The Black Mage is carrying a Magic Book which tells your adventure. Dungeons bear a close resemblance to typical FF and the "warm" graphical style is said to me the appealing feature of the game.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/odeko_06/archives/50598751.html

ethelred

Jonnyram said:
FFTactics DS perhaps?

jarrod said:
NO! OGRE DS!!

Now, now, kids, no need to argue. Let's compromise and say that the correct answer is "both!"

Jonnyram said:
The description I read on the site where the news originated didn't sound like a typical Fushigi no Dungeon game. In fact, there's already been a couple of Chocobo Fushigi no Dungeon games on the PS, so they'd probably stick to that title if that's what it was going to be.

The site said that you also adventure with White Mage and Black Mage amongst others. The Black Mage is carrying a Magic Book which tells your adventure. Dungeons bear a close resemblance to typical FF and the "warm" graphical style is said to me the appealing feature of the game.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/odeko_06/archives/50598751.html

I... have absolutely no idea what to make of that description.

jesusraz

Jonnyram said:
...and the "warm" graphical style is said to me the appealing feature of the game...

Erm...sold? :lol Seriously, you have to wonder what approach SEx will take with this after DQM and FFIII's style. Perhaps this will be more of a Children of Mana in terms of appearance.

Thanks for the update Jonny, by the way :)

ethelred

jesusraz said:
Erm...sold? :lol Seriously, you have to wonder what approach SEx will take with this after DQM and FFIII's style. Perhaps this will be more of a Children of Mana in terms of appearance.

Thanks for the update Jonny, by the way :)

Children of Mana? Nah. For something like this, I think it'd be really cool for Square Enix to take a bit of inspiration from a game like, say, Yoshi's Island... for the approach of their artistic style. Or go back to the water-color style of SaGa Frontier II.

If they play around a bit with different types of artistic styles that emphasize a fanciful world with a really artistic storybook theme, they could create something visually that's extremely engrossing.

I'm still really puzzled by Jonny's quoted description of the game, though. I'm quite unsure of what to expect in terms of gameplay. Dungeons that resemble standard-FF... really doesn't make it sound like a Mysterious Dungeon game, but what else could it be? Standard traditional RPG battles? I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I'm definitely interested, though.

Edit: Hmm. A thought occurred -- it sounds like they're playing up the magic book aspect, so I wonder if the gameplay will involve some elements of drawing to accomplish goals (like Lost Magic, Magic Pengel, etc.).

Top Bottom