• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Choosing a gaming Mouse

HoosTrax

Grip style: Claw (2 fingers on top - not much arching; quite loose)
Logitech G9x without either add-on grip.

Why do you say avoid Razer? I've heard nothing but praise for their DeathAdder mice.
Horrible rubberized finish that's impossible to keep clean. I constantly had to wipe down my Diamondback and Naga with a damp cloth, whereas my G9 requires no maintenance whatsoever.

FGMPR

Banned
razernagamoltense01.jpg

The more buttons the better I say.

mxgt

Banned
I recently got a Logitech G500 after my Deathadder of 4 years bit the dust.

G500 > Deathadder. It's a fantastic mouse.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I'm actually using a Lachesis right now and had the same problem. Sometime the mouse would just cease to respond and I had to unplug and replug it. In the midst of a game of Starcraft 2...it really sucked.

Then I read a bit on the Internet...apparantly, to fix the problem, you must not install the mouse drivers and simply use it as a plug and play peripheral. Luckily it retains all of its functionalities even then. Only thing you can't do is changing the color of the mouse, but it will retains whatever settings you last put it on so if you really want to change it, you can install the drivers, then modify, then deinstall.

Since then it works 99 % flawlessly, with the very occasional cursor getting jammed on the X-axis for 2-3 seconds.

Never again though.

Exact same with my Lachesis.

I like the look of the SteelSeries Sensei, might get that if my Razer breaks.

jet1911

I'm actually using a Lachesis right now and had the same problem. Sometime the mouse would just cease to respond and I had to unplug and replug it. In the midst of a game of Starcraft 2...it really sucked.

Then I read a bit on the Internet...apparantly, to fix the problem, you must not install the mouse drivers and simply use it as a plug and play peripheral. Luckily it retains all of its functionalities even then. Only thing you can't do is changing the color of the mouse, but it will retains whatever settings you last put it on so if you really want to change it, you can install the drivers, then modify, then deinstall.

Since then it works 99 % flawlessly, with the very occasional cursor getting jammed on the X-axis for 2-3 seconds.

Never again though.

I still have it so if my G500 bites the dust one day I'll try to remember that. But I don't think I'll nuy Razer product in the future.

Grip style: Claw (2 fingers on top - not much arching; quite loose)

Listen to me, friend. Trust me. I have the same grip, and I've been on a life-long quest to find the ultimate mouse. I've purchased many, many mice over the years. My favorite mouse of the past has been the MX300/G3. Liking smaller mice with the claw grip, I've even tried many laptop mice, like the Orochi, but their performance could never live up. One thing for sure is that the popular, monster mice like the G5's and Lachesis' are just way too cumbersome to use.

Well, recently I think I may have found that ultimate mouse in the most unlikely of places - Cooler Master. Please, try out their Spawn mouse. It's amazing. Fits my grip perfectly. Has a flawless optical sensor in it (fuck laser mice). Solid buttons, even the middle-mouse click is nice (unlike most of the newer Logitechs). And it glides like a champ. I think the only minor flaw I could find with it is that the DPI buttons, which I bind for other uses, are a little soft and sometimes don't register a click. Even the software is fairly minimal and works great. Plus it's only ~$40.

I'm honestly thinking of buying one or two more for backups.

Good luck.

cooler_master_storm_spawn_gaming_mouse_news.jpg

-KRS-

My mx518 lasted like 3-4 years but eventually after a few glasses of water the middle wheel button stopper working...

Pff, they're getting cheaper/worse then. I had my MX500 for like 7 years. Then the left and right buttons would stop responding. Bought a G400 after that. Now I expect it to break in a year. :p

While I'll agree Logitech drivers have tended to suck and their products slightly over-rated in the past (with their wireless often flat out sucking), the G700 is a thing of beauty. And the drivers are the best mouse drivers I've ever used.

I assume the bad drivers are for those crazy 200 button mouses? I've never installed a driver for my logitech mouse on my computers.

And I agree with whoever said that "Gaming" stuff is usually a rip-off. Perhaps it's better with mice, but those damn gaming keyboards they have are so fucking bad if you know what a good keyboard is supposed to be.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!

I will NEVER use another mouse again. When I'm at work using a 3 button mouse, my thumb actually gets bored.

Same. I just bought the Razer Naga and I'm ashamed for not having bought it earlier, it just makes gaming easier. (Especially MMO's)

Mikey Jr.

razernagamoltense01.jpg

Hmmm, really? I always felt the more buttons on the side, the bigger the detriment.

2 buttons on the side feels like the sweet spot.

14 on the side feels like overkill. What is that good for anyways? Wow?

HoosTrax

Hmmm, really? I always felt the more buttons on the side, the bigger the detriment.

I guess it's mainly good for MMOs. The massive hump on the back makes it horrible for claw grip users. I find it terrible for FPSs. Unfortunately there wasn't a store near me where I could have tried it before buying. Maybe an Orochi-sized version would have been more to my liking.

I bought a white RAT7 a few months back and it's really nice. Love the length and weight adjustment, very comfortable.

That was my previous mouse - and I will admit I liked it, despite it being pretty heavy. But after a few months it started to develop erratic tracking habits, where the laser would lose track for a split second. I even bought a new mouse pad thinking maybe mine was just dirty. Didn't help.

1-D_FTW

I assume the bad drivers are for those crazy 200 button mouses? I've never installed a driver for my logitech mouse on my computers.

Referring mainly to how limited they were in scope. I'd primarily used Logitech prior to my Deathadder (mx 518, G5) and was amazed by all the options the Deathadder gave you when I made the switch.

When I got a G700 for 49.99, I was dreading making the switch back to those Micky Mouse drivers. Aside from the fact the G700 performed as well as a wired mouse (my G7 experiment was a disaster and I was extremely skeptical wireless could ever perform as well as wired), the next biggest surprise were the drivers for the G700. Anything and everything can be customized to user preferences.

FGMPR

Banned

You can use them for whatever you like. I'm sure that sounds obvious, but the point I make is that you never know when a game will benefit from having an easy access side button. The usability that comes from the flexibility of having so many buttons may surprise you if you started to use one.

I will say that going from a G5 to Naga, the one thing I miss from the G5 is the on-the-fly DPI toggle. Other than that, the Naga has it beat easily in pretty much every way.

Mikey Jr.

You can use them for whatever you like. I'm sure that sounds obvious, but the point I make is that you never know when a game will benefit from having an easy access side button. The usability that comes from the flexibility of having so many buttons may surprise you if you started to use one.

Never seen one in real life, but it just seems like in the heat of the moment, figuring out where the number 7 is on that thing would be a pain in the ass.

Then again, I don't play MMO's at all, (mainly FPS), so 12 probably isn't necessary. For Wow though, I can definitely understand.

Meteorain

Sorry to be an idiot, but I just found out I'm utilise a subset of the claw grip called "the fingertip" grip. I'll edit the OP!

HoosTrax

Comes at the cost of having the two most used side buttons (browser back and forward) in a really annoying location (beside the left click).

G9x is a pretty good claw mouse with a decent laser - I used one for awhile. But that mouse-wheel/middle-click is a fucking atrocity to mankind. That alone was enough to get me to look elsewhere.
Yeah, unfortunately, middle-click on the G9 is nigh unusable. The wheel itself seemed fine to me though (I prefer to use it in "clicky" mode, instead of continuous scroll mode).

In my case, I have very specific requirements due to being a female with small hands who prefers claw grip for FPSs. So it's really hard to find a suitable laser mouse, and I'll live with an unusable middle click which I never use anyway. So G9/G9x it is until something better comes out (Razer Orochi looks sorta interesting, not sure).

FGMPR

Banned
Comes at the cost of having the two most used side buttons (browser back and forward) in a really annoying location (beside the left click).

I felt the exact same way for the first week or so, but I guess my grip just sort of adjusted naturally because now I honestly find it to be the most comfortable mouse I've held.

gogogow

Luckily it has 12 programmable buttons on the side, just turn two of them into back and forward. Those two on the left click are gonna be useless anyway during gaming. I looked at the G300 and was quickly turned off. That mouse has four programmable G buttons and all four of them are next to the click buttons, yuck! I ordered the G500 and never looked back.
And with Logitech's G keys, you know what you are pressing thanks to their shapes.

Logitech%20G500..jpg

4894952413_9d804d91ab_o.jpg

FGMPR

Banned
Never seen one in real life, but it just seems like in the heat of the moment, figuring out where the number 7 is on that thing would be a pain in the ass.

Then again, I don't play MMO's at all, (mainly FPS), so 12 probably isn't necessary. For Wow though, I can definitely understand.

Yeah, you are right in that some of the numbers get a bit confusing when making split decisions. However, your thumb covers 1-6 easily so there's no problems there, and then 10 and 12 can be easily distinguished by the fact that there are empty spaces to the right/left/bottom of those buttons, leaving you with 8 numbered buttons plus the forward and back buttons easily accessible in an instinctive fashion. At least that's how I've found it.

I'm starting to feel like a Razer shill now, lol. Knowing my luck, the thing will probably break on me within a week.

tci

I recently went from Roccan Kone + and bought a Mionix Naos 5000, and I'm really happy with it. The texture has more grip than Roccat Kone. It is a bit wider, but that doesn't take long to get used too. The scrolling is identical to Roccat.

Mionix-Naos-5000.jpg

In my case, I have very specific requirements due to being a female with small hands who prefers claw grip for FPSs. So it's really hard to find a suitable laser mouse. So G9/G9x it is until something better comes out (Razer Orochi looks sorta interesting, not sure).

I don't know, I would rethink your need for laser. I know laser is all the rage and that's what the companies push, but I really think it's misleading. Optical performance is on par, and without the erratic behavior my laser mice usually seem to develop.

Skip the Orochi. Tracking wasn't that great and it had negative acceleration.

gogogow

In my case, I have very specific requirements due to being a female with small hands who prefers claw grip for FPSs. So it's really hard to find a suitable laser mouse, and I'll live with an unusable middle click which I never use anyway. So G9/G9x it is until something better comes out (Razer Orochi looks sorta interesting, not sure).

On another forum someone recommended the lachesis for the claw grip.

5608629585_a19f23993f.jpg

MajorPain

razernagamoltense01.jpg

I have had this one for about 6 months and have not had any problems with it. I love this mouse and would replace it if when it dies. I use it for Starcraft 2 and SW:TOR I couldn't imagine playing without it.

MajorPain

This mouse is awesome. Before i bought it thought the same thing as you that it was too many buttons. I bought it for SW:TOR and now also use it for Starcraft 2 and I could not imagine playing these games without it.

I use the Deathadder and couldn't be happier. I'm aware of Razer's shoddy quality though, and if I have issues down the road I'll probably jump ship to Logitech.

I have a Deathadder (lefty edition) and I don't really care for it. It's got a big fat rump, which I'm sure works really well if you like to palm your mouse. I like to use my fingertips to steer it around, which just doesn't work with this particular mouse. Plus the middle click button doesn't work very reliably, and the thumb button closes to the cord is a bit of a stretch to hit.

So my search continues... Oh, Logitech MX310, how I miss you so...

HoosTrax

(L) 107 X (W) 75 X (H) 35 mm / (L) 4.2 X (W) 4 X (H) 1.3 inch
razer-mamba-mouse-size-compare.jpg
Ah nice. I'll have to take a measuring tape to my G9 to see how it "measures up". I did check a review on the Spawn and one thing I'm not wild about is that the DPI tiers are locked to pre-specified levels (800, 1800, 3500). With my G9, I have it configured to something like 3600, 3400, 3200, 3000 (not those exact numbers, but just to give a rough idea of how I like the DPI settings. all of them are set to the high end with minimal steps down).

injurai

Banned
I've been using a Microsoft Sidewinder for about 3 years now and the scroll wheel is beginning to give out. I have a hybrid palm/claw grip. Was thinking either the G500 or the G9x. However the Mionix Naos 5000 seems to be much more similar in size to my Sidewinder. Any opinion of which of these would be preferable for gaming?

Recently bought a Mamba 2012 edition, having the option for wireless AND wired is pretty handy. I love the mouse, and there's a shit-ton of customizing options with the drivers.

Solid07

Banned
Best way is to try it out for yourself. I remember when I was looking for a gaming mouse, it was very hard to choose one just by reading the reviews on the internet.

This is what I use.

71YvrL9lsjL._AA1500_.jpg

razernagamoltense01.jpg

I've been using one of these for about a year now (the regular black and blue edition), and it works well but I find that I only ever map anything to the bottom row of number buttons. If I try to use more then I find it too easy to lose track of where my thumb is on the side and I end up hitting the wrong buttons.

Sykotik

razernagamoltense01.jpg

I've had the same one for over a year. By far my favorite mouse, ever.

Edit: I don't have trouble with the buttons, at all. In WoW I had all buttons mapped normal and ctrl modifiers, and I had zero trouble. I like the mouse for more than just wow though, the adaptability is huge.

Have had the G9, MX Revolution, and a Deathadder (and some various others) but now I use a Naga (the 12 side button one that is linked in this thread) and it's the best mouse I've ever used.

It was great when I was playing WoW and even in some FPS I will map the weapons to the number keys. It does take getting used to for sure. Just like it was with any mouse that added buttons. It really is a lot smaller than it looks and the buttons you don't lose place of once you get used to it.

Now it's patiently waiting for Guild Wars 2.

Top Bottom