• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Choosing a gaming Mouse

vertopci

I recently went from Roccan Kone + and bought a Mionix Naos 5000, and I'm really happy with it. The texture has more grip than Roccat Kone. It is a bit wider, but that doesn't take long to get used too. The scrolling is identical to Roccat.

Mionix-Naos-5000.jpg

This. Best mouse ever.

Wubby

Get a Logitech G700. Avoid Razer products.

414JPag7fiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sadly I can confirm this. I got my Razer Naga for Xmas '09 and it died 7 months later. The laser on the thing stopped working. It had a finicky laser from the start though. It didn't work with the mousepad that worked fine for my old MS Sindwinder mouse. I had to go buy another pad for it to work. I liked the buttons though. 1-6 were fine but 7-12 weren't comfortable to use.

It got replaced with a G700. Right out of the box the quality of the G700 was miles ahead of the cheap feeling Naga. Only 4 buttons on the side but these 4 feel more usable than the ones on the side of the Naga. And the scroll wheel is light years ahead of the Nagas wheel. And it's lasted me well over the last few years. Laser works on pretty much any surface I throw at it, even my pant leg.

Durante

I've been using a Logitech G5 almost every day for 4 years and it still works perfectly (I had to clean the wheel once).

XenoRaven

Another vote for a Deathadder here. Though I'm slightly concerned by all the talk of QC problems, mine has been going strong for about a year now with no issues.

FinKL

What's up with all these sophisticated mice. I remember in my CS days, Logitech was all the rage. So I bought one, and guess what, the right click kinda broke so I had to press down extra hard to get it to right click. I ended up getting a Microsoft Laser Mouse (Microsoft makes Windows so i'm sure they know how to make quality mice I thought).

00000112564-MicrosoftLaserMouse6000-large.jpeg

Definitely my favorite mouse, but I've only used the Microsoft Optical mouse and some old logitech

EDIT: Looking at some new Microsoft mice, WTF did they do?! I want BUTTONS. Sounding familiar???

cat_mouse_touch_hero_945_400.jpg

Zeliard

I'm using the OG MX518 (@ 800 DPI) and it's still as godlike as it ever was. I've had it since it first came out.

I need to find me a decent Allsop pad. That used to be the uber combo, MX518 + Allsop. After my old Allsop wore down I bought a Razer Goliathus pad that I've been using the past few years, but it isn't quite the same.

Zimbardo

i'm using a Deathadder 3500 and really like its performance, but one thing i dislike is the glossy sides.

dirt builds up on the sides from your hands sweating, etc, so i'm wiping that buildup off every couple of days or so.

i hear the Deathadder Black Edition solves that issue since it uses rubber sides/some type of texture.

anyway, that's been my biggest complaint. other than that it performs great in games, etc.

Meteorain

Been reading around a bit and I've come down to essentially the Logitech G9x and the SteelSeries Diablo 3/Sensei Fnatic as they seem to be suited for people who use the fingertip grip like myself (again apologies for thinking it was just a subtle claw).

I like the mouse to be slightly larger, and the G9x is only 10cm in length, which is a bit short. I find small mice very uncomfortable, and thus it seems the SteelSeries is winning out.

Can anyone vouch for the quality of SteelSeries mice?

spirity

I tried the G500 and didn't like it. The mouse wheel was just far too loose for my tastes (this was in ratched mode too) and I kept scrolling past the weapon I wanted in fps games. I returned it and got a Razer Imperator, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's a tad too expensive for what it is though if I'm being honest, and looking back I should have went with the G400. I got a lot of mileage out of my MX518 before it finally gave up the ghost.

parski

When I was a child I was very picky with what shoes I could wear. They needed to be PERFECT. Nowadays it is much easier to buy shoes for myself, but I'm super picky when it comes to my mouse instead.

I was a Logitech MX500 user until it fell apart. Then I was a Logitech MX518 user until that one fell apart aswell. Now I'm a Steelseries Diablo user and I am super content with my purchase. Since I bought it (December 25th 2011) I have right clicked a little short of two million times and it still feels like new. Most mice start to feel worn out after you've clicked a few million times, but this one is still feeling great.

However, the reason I got it is because of it's ergonomics. If you like the Logitech MX ergonomics you've gonna love the Diablo. It looks sick too, with the spine scroll wheel, tribal patterns, magma pulsing glow and matte rubbery finish. I get sweaty hands sometimes when I game during the summer, but so far I have had no problems with the finish of this mouse.

I can't recommend it enough. If price is not an issue: get this mouse.

spirity

When I was a child I was very picky with what shoes I could wear. They needed to be PERFECT. Nowadays it is much easier to buy shoes for myself, but I'm super picky when it comes to my mouse instead.

I was a Logitech MX500 user until it fell apart. Then I was a Logitech MX518 user until that one fell apart aswell. Now I'm a Steelseries Diablo user and I am super content with my purchase. Since I bought it (December 25th 2011) I have right clicked a little short of two million times and it still feels like new. Most mice start to feel worn out after you've clicked a few million times, but this one is still feeling great.

However, the reason I got it is because of it's ergonomics. If you like the Logitech MX ergonomics you've gonna love the Diablo. It looks sick too, with the spine scroll wheel, tribal patterns, magma pulsing glow and matte rubbery finish. I get sweaty hands sometimes when I game during the summer, but so far I have had no problems with the finish of this mouse.

I can't recommend it enough. If price is not an issue: get this mouse.

Whats the mouse wheel like? Specifically, middle clicking it. Any instances where it scrolled forward instead of it clicking down?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Get a Razer Naga. If you're gonna overpay for a mouse, then overpay for something that gives you a competitive edge. The thing has 17 buttons.

SOME-MIST

I've always used the mx510 and G9, but recently I accidentally wrecked my g9 and lost my receipt, so I bought a g9x and am content.

never tried the mx518, but I'd imagine it's just as good as the 510. I've heard good things about the g500 too.

cilonen

I have one of these too. Question though: what exactly is the point of the weights?

I Agree with fluffydelusions, I had to load it up pretty heavy before I got it feeling noticably better (i.e. heavier) but if you use different surfaces (cloth, glass, rough plastic) the weight can make a big difference on either how 'twitchy' or how 'smooth' you want to be with the mouse.

sk3tch

Razer Mamba 2012 is awesome.

Corsair's K60 is also very nice...and less expensive. Go K90 if you're more of an MMO/Strat guy. But the K60 is tight for FPS.

I just picked up a Naga, pretty happy with it so far, will take some getting used to, the one i got is kind of ... off balance diagonally though.. so when you click, the mouse rocks a bit, which is super annoying, going to swap it for another and see if it's still an issue :|

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
As weird as it may seems, if you're a claw-gripper, I recommend you the basic beige/black Microsoft Optical Mouse

wmo440.jpg

Yeah it doesn't have many buttons, but it's super light and precise as hell. I love mine.

EDIT: Looking at some new Microsoft mice, WTF did they do?! I want BUTTONS. Sounding familiar???

cat_mouse_touch_hero_945_400.jpg

I have one of those touch mouse for my laptop when I am on the go, and they are actually really nice. The buttons are hidden on the scroll bar. It does take some getting used to if you use to logitech mouse.

I have the Logitech G500 for my desktop and it's one of the best mouse. I bought G700 for my gaming laptop but that thing eat battery like candy, so I end up buying Microsoft touchmouse for non-gaming use.

Yami

Still on my functional MX510 from 2003. Shit is quality and lasts forever. I don't see this one dying, ever.

Otherwise I've got a Razer Deathadder that I got as a gift from my brother as a spare that is plugged into my other computer. Not a big fan of the feel and texture of the mouse.

Evlar

Banned
This x 1000. Amazing piece of hardware.

Just picked one of these up three days ago. Really fantastic so far. My previous favorite gaming mouse was an MX518 that unfortunately gave up the ghost after four years or so (the scroll wheel went kaput). These days, though, I really prefer the freedom of movement of a wireless mouse.

Darkkn

Wireless mouse is must in my opinion. Wireless options are really good nowadays unless you are into very competitive gaming. I can't tell the precision difference between my Logitech G5 and Performance MX. There is no going back to the mouse cord drag after using a good wireless mouse!

A statistic no one ever really discusses when they are looking for a good gaming mouse is weight. It's such a key thing, too. I've been doing a ridiculous amount of research into mice and finding out what I want in one.

I claw grip my mouse.
I pinch with my thumb and my ring finger to pick up and move the mouse when it edges on a pad.
I want a mouse that is at least 95g (heavy).

I product sampled a few mice over the last few weeks and I realized that mice with a ton of thumb buttons are more difficult to quickly pick up and move when you get to the edge of your mouse pad or comfortable moving area. I kept accidentally clicking a thumb button when I was just trying to move it. I also had tried a few light mice like the DeathAdder. They felt far to cheap and jerky for my movement input. I need a mouse that can give a little resistance and feels like its actually resting on the mouse pad.

Here's my short list:

Steelseries Sensei - It's a 97g mouse shaped similarly to the Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0 and that's definitely a good thing. I haven't had a chance to use one because no store within 200 miles of me has one in stock, let alone for use in store.

Cyborg R.A.T. 7 - Despite the mouse's grotesque looking facade, it's incredibly comfortable to use. And if it isn't, move some parts around on it. It's a customizable Franken-mouse. And it has adjustable weighting to it, as well.

I'd love more mice to consider, but it's actually hard getting the statistics I care about listed for mice only available online. Most manufacturers will tell you the weight of the mouse with the cord included, so that doesn't tell you anything at all. I was really looking forward to getting the Steelseries Diablo III mouse until I read a review that said it was one of the best lightweight mice available. Instant turn off.

I hope some of this info was helpful. If anyone has any more suggestions based on what I'm looking for, I'm open to them.

milesdm

Three pages late in, yes; I can vouch for the G9x. It's customisable-y comfy (weights, two different textured covers, etc.) -- if only because it feels like it's a mould of my grip -- whilst it also enough buttons for me.

Was also sorta cheap at the time-- but really, this thing is damn comfy.

hyduK

Banned
Was using a Razer Lachesis. But I would have to clean the laser out every other day, otherwise it would lose tracking. Switched to a Steelseries Sensei.

chiablo

If you are a claw grip: Logitech G9x (simply the best claw grip mouse ever made)
If you are a palm grip: Logitech G500 or any of Razor's mice

HoosTrax

The specs say (L) 107 X (W) 75 X (H) 35 mm (that's 4.2x3x1.3 inches, not 4.2x4x1.3 as claimed on their site). It fits comfortably in my average-sized hands.
Yeah I figured there was something fishy about the stated width of 4 inches. I just measured my G9, and it's about the same dimension in terms of length and height (4.1" and 1.4" respectively). It's only about 2 inches in width though...

If you are left handed, you pretty much can't use most of the really good gamer mouses and will have to pay silly amounts of money for mediocre equipment.

If you are right handed, there really is no reason not to go for a Logitech G9x. It's probably the best gamer mouse there is right now and it's not even close to being the most expensive. At least not in Europe.

kamspy

Quality control. People claim they fail and begin double-clicking at a rapid rate.

My old Deathadder lasted 3 - 4 years before it died from the double-click syndrome. I was very pleased with what I got from it.

But my new Logitech G700 is the best mouse I've ever owned. Thing is awesome.

When mine got double click syndrome I just took the casing off and cleaned the contacts. Good as new. Going on about 4 years. If it died I wouldn't even look at other mice. Just order a new one. Best side buttons ever.

My main beef with the Logi mice are the small side buttons. Fuck that. The Death Adder feels like a 1st party console controller, imo, compared to most other mice.

Gisk

Banned
If you have very large, sizable, manly hands like I do, you may find it hard to palm a mouse in a reasonable fashion.
To that end, I recommend a mouse like the R.A.T. 7 (or 9) because they have a sizable body, and the back piece is adjustable so that the mouse can expand even more to fit your hand.
They're really nice, even if the build quality on some of the parts leaves something to be desired.

(Also, the included sniper/slowdown button on the side is awesome)

sca2511

I have a Razer Tron, picked it up since it was on sale and my MX510 started to malfunction a few days before. Had the MX510 for more than 6 years and was the best mouse I've ever used.

I would also vote for a Razer, after having had some Logitech mouses that fell apart quite fast, I bought a Razer and never had any complaints. They're sturdy, fast, fluent, everything a gamer can ask for!

I've had the same logitech laser mouse since 2005. It still works awesome

Nabs

I have a Razer Tron, picked it up since it was on sale and my MX510 started to malfunction a few days before. Had the MX510 for more than 6 years and was the best mouse I've ever used.

My MX510 could survive wars. It's why I went with G400 when I decided to retire it.

Meteorain

Thanks for the input guys, and sorry if it seems I ignored a whole bunch of it, but I ended up ordering the SteelSeries Diablo 3.

I felt it was a good size, played into my heavy clicking style and worked best for my fingertip grip style.

Feel free to keep discussing mice though, I may need a second one in the future! :)

Kritz

Banned
Add one more vote to the G700 pile.

For some reason Razor mice have never clicked* with me, but the G700 is just great. Unfortunately, I have noticed that the scroll wheel gear gets stuck sometimes (so I can't revert back to increment-scrolling), and very recently the left click feels a little mushy - especially when playing Left 4 Dead or DOTA, where not all my clicks are registering and there is a tactile difference between hitting the left and right mouse buttons. It's since come better, so it could have just been semen** on the underside of the button or something.

* hardware puns!
** I'm making the joke before anyone else does, alright?

Besides, I only masturbate onto my keyboard - never the mouse. Man this will be a weird post to only read the end of.

kikori

Neo Member
I've been using a Logitech G9 / G9x for years and love it. Fingertip grip works really well for me even with either of the grips attached. I tried a Cyborg RAT7 a few months back when my original G9 died and got rid of it in under a week. Despite all the adjustability, I couldn't get it comfortable to save my life. It was also far less precise than the G9, and the software for programming it was atrocious. Went back to a G9x and couldn't be happier.

I also love the continuous scroll on the G9x wheel for non-gaming use, but I'll definitely agree that the middle click is not great.

Reikon

I've been using a Logitech G5 almost every day for 4 years and it still works perfectly (I had to clean the wheel once).

4 years? Pfft, 7 years and going for my MX518 and it still works perfectly fine, though I've completely worn down the rubber coating where my fingers rest.

Zeliard

4 years? Pfft, 7 years and going for my MX518 and it still works perfectly fine, though I've completely worn down the rubber coating where my fingers rest.

Only issue with my MX518 is that one of the mouse feet wore off. Also my mouse wheel stopped working at a point but I simply opened the mouse up and re-adjusted the bit of wire inside. Easy fix and it works great.

Top Bottom