• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mouse for PC Gaming? 2017

I think in going to try either the g403 or g pro. I love the g502, but it is a bit heavy in competitive fps.

Anyone own both the pro and 403 and have thoughts?

Swarna

I think in going to try either the g403 or g pro. I love the g502, but it is a bit heavy in competitive fps.

It comes down to your grip preference.

I tried both and went for wired G403 (wireless is heavier). I was also using G502 and found it too heavy for competitive FPS. G403 grip is closer to what you use with G502. G Pro is purely finger tip grip with no palm contact unless you've got super small hands. In my experience, I am more consistently accurate with finger tip grip mice like the G Pro and Zowie FK1 but they are more fatiguing over time even if slightly lighter. I have more experience with finger tip grip, so that may be a factor, too.

It comes down to your grip preference.

I tried both and went for wired G403 (wireless is heavier). I was also using G502 and found it too heavy for competitive FPS. G403 grip is closer to what you use with G502. G Pro is purely finger tip grip with no palm contact unless you've got super small hands. In my experience, I am more consistently accurate with finger tip grip mice like the G Pro and Zowie FK1 but they are more fatiguing over time even if slightly lighter. I have more experience with finger tip grip, so that may be a factor, too.

I'm a finger tip grip user. My palm never contacts the mouse, it just hovers over it. I also own the g400 and find that comfortable. The weight is preferable in fps, so maybe the g403 is closest to the g400?

SOLDIER

Didn't know we already had a big thread on mouse recommendations.

I'm trying to find something that's not too expensive, doesn't have a confusing placement of extra buttons, and not too small for my big hands. I tried the Logitech G300s, but ended up returning it for the last two reasons.

So far I've got my choices narrowed down to either the G600 or the G502. The G600 is cheaper and has more buttons, but I don't think I could instinctively hit the right button I want during a heated session of Overwatch or FFXIV, the way they're all grouped up together.

The G502 is more expensive, but its extra button layout seems better spread, and it looks like it'll be big enough to fit in my hand without straining it.

Justinh

Didn't know we already had a big thread on mouse recommendations.

I'm trying to find something that's not too expensive, doesn't have a confusing placement of extra buttons, and not too small for my big hands. I tried the Logitech G300s, but ended up returning it for the last two reasons.

So far I've got my choices narrowed down to either the G600 or the G502. The G600 is cheaper and has more buttons, but I don't think I could instinctively hit the right button I want during a heated session of Overwatch or FFXIV, the way they're all grouped up together.

The G502 is more expensive, but its extra button layout seems better spread, and it looks like it'll be big enough to fit in my hand without straining it.

I think the G502 sounds like it would be a better fit for you, personally.

Amazon has a refurbished Proteus CORE for a little cheaper if that makes it a little more attractive. It's the same mouse as the Proteus Spectrum only that it has only Blue LEDS and not RGB. The only thing that worries me about the G502 is that since you have big hands I bet you might have a problem with accidentally hitting the "sniper button."

Ashhong

People keep recommending the G Pro but I say save money and get the Prodigy g203. I forgot what the actual differences are but I have tried both and they feel exactly the same.

I went from an MX518 to a G203 and a G403 wireless and still not completely satisfied. I think I might try the G502, which apparently is the exact same shape as the 518 but just styled funky

Protein

Banned
I just returned my G502 and bought a G900 Chaos Spectrum. Jesus Christ, this thing is smooth as hell. One of the best mice I've ever used.

SOLDIER

I think the G502 sounds like it would be a better fit for you, personally.

Amazon has a refurbished Proteus CORE for a little cheaper if that makes it a little more attractive. It's the same mouse as the Proteus Spectrum only that it has only Blue LEDS and not RGB. The only thing that worries me about the G502 is that since you have big hands I bet you might have a problem with accidentally hitting the "sniper button."

I could always un-map it, right?

What's the difference between LED and RGB? Not sure if I want to go refurbished just for a $10 difference, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Renekton

I'm a finger tip grip user. My palm never contacts the mouse, it just hovers over it. I also own the g400 and find that comfortable. The weight is preferable in fps, so maybe the g403 is closest to the g400?
Give the G Pro a shot first though, the g403 seems good for palm.

Smokey

I just returned my G502 and bought a G900 Chaos Spectrum. Jesus Christ, this thing is smooth as hell. One of the best mice I've ever used.

Yep.

I've got a g502, M65, Raw/Rival, G900

The G900 is the best and going wired/wireless at will is great. Using it in combination with a Logitech G810 keyboard and I'm really enjoying the setup. I used to be all in on Corsair's stuff, but with the quality of Logitech and their software, I decided to rock with them. Been a great decision.

Justinh

I could always un-map it, right?

What's the difference between LED and RGB? Not sure if I want to go refurbished just for a $10 difference, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Oh duh, yeah you could unmap it. The difference I was referring to between the Proteus Core and the Proteus Spectrum is that the LEDs are only blue on the Core and on the newer Spectrum you can select which color they light up.

People keep recommending the G Pro but I say save money and get the Prodigy g203. I forgot what the actual differences are but I have tried both and they feel exactly the same.

I went from an MX518 to a G203 and a G403 wireless and still not completely satisfied. I think I might try the G502, which apparently is the exact same shape as the 518 but just styled funky

I went from mx518 to g400 then to g502. It felt slightly more narrow, but it fit me like a glove right away. The little thumb rest actually makes it more comfy than the other two.

The issue is the weight. It's a good deal heavier than a 518. Took adjustment but not a big issue.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
where can I find replacement plastic scroll wheels for the G502? I'm trying to make it lighter but the stock wheel is just is too heavy

Well, I'm on Razer Naga number six now in almost as many years, at least the current replacement which I got in March (replacing the new replacement I got in 2015 was a new one instead of jumping through the refurb hoop three times before reaching that step again. I still like it though there's certainly better options out there, I originally got it for WoW (original was a Cataclysm themed "Molten" version) but I don't plan on changing until either I give up in frustration and wanted something more "expanded" like I did with my old Logitech G7 or I get one that lasts longer than the warranty.

I will say my past experience with Logitech's customer service was really good, I kinda lost count of how many replacements I received not just from again, multiple G7 replacements (double click problems each time IIRC) but I think I went at least three there, X button sticking problems on wireless PS2 controller and a G15 gaming keyboard.

As for the Nagas the first one also started having double click problems, then the first two refurbished Nagas I received eventually had adhesive seeping out from the grip pad on the side while the last one was DOA. The new replacement from 2015 developed jumping issues with the scroll wheel a few weeks before I RMA'd it.

Obviously I have not had much luck with reliability when it comes gaming mice. Was kinda annoying spending so much money on one that maybe will last a couple years while you have an old OEM mouse that saw a lot more use and still works fine after over a decade. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Two weeks later, less than two months with my current, new replacement Naga, it's developed the same damn problem as the last one with the scroll wheel being jumpy. 😒
Do I even bother with number seven?

SOLDIER

Now that I've settled on the G502, I think I'm in need of a new mousepad next. The current one I have is a little bumpy, plus the mouse's braided cord is scrapping against the fabric a little.

Really don't want to spend anymore than I have to, so if anyone knows of a solid cheap mousepad, please let me know.

Went from a 518 to a G Pro. Holy crap at the difference in pressure needed to click and sensor-to-mat distance sensitivity.

Having used the G Pro for 3 weeks I've gotten rid of my old habits of being able to sligtly tilt and lift the mouse during movement. At first I thought there was something wrong with the mouse because the tiniest tilt and it would just stop accepting inputs. I was also resting my finger on right click heavily enough to involuntarily trigger it.

Now I'm used to it though. The responsiveness in the clicks is the most major gamechanger. My 518 feels like I'm bobbing and iceberg on the surface of the ocean.

The weight of the G Pro lets me forget it's there.

I've gone from 800 to 1600dpi. Didn't take long to adjust, not sure if I feel the difference.

Playing Dirty Bomb I use the side buttons a lot for tools and items and it took no time at all to get used to it.

The cord is also a vast improvement and doesn't push back at all.

I never use the mousewheel for anything outside desktop. That's mainly from the click wheel on the 518 being so terrible. On the G Pro mouse 3 almost feels like something you could viably bind. Scroll is also better.

Everything is just better.

We've come a long way.

Momentary

Banned
I love my g900. I bought it when it was first released and have never regretted. There is no difference between using it in wireless or wired mode.

At $75 you will not regret it. I paid twice as much as that and it was worth every penny.

Ashhong

Went from a 518 to a G Pro. Holy crap at the difference in pressure needed to click and sensor-to-mat distance sensitivity.

Having used the G Pro for 3 weeks I've gotten rid of my old habits of being able to sligtly tilt and lift the mouse during movement. At first I thought there was something wrong with the mouse because the tiniest tilt and it would just stop accepting inputs. I was also resting my finger on right click heavily enough to involuntarily trigger it.

Now I'm used to it though. The responsiveness in the clicks is the most major gamechanger. My 518 feels like I'm bobbing and iceberg on the surface of the ocean.

The weight of the G Pro lets me forget it's there.

I've gone from 800 to 1600dpi. Didn't take long to adjust, not sure if I feel the difference.

Playing Dirty Bomb I use the side buttons a lot for tools and items and it took no time at all to get used to it.

The cord is also a vast improvement and doesn't push back at all.

I never use the mousewheel for anything outside desktop. That's mainly from the click wheel on the 518 being so terrible. On the G Pro mouse 3 almost feels like something you could viably bind. Scroll is also better.

Everything is just better.

We've come a long way.

Yea, I keep lifting my mouse ever so slightly and it goes crazy on the screen. Hard to adjust after the 518. What grip do you use? I used a palm grip for the 518 but feel I need to switch to more of a claw for the G Pro and it's throwing me off. I'm also getting a lot of cramps in my hand but not sure if that's related.

Yea, I keep lifting my mouse ever so slightly and it goes crazy on the screen. Hard to adjust after the 518. What grip do you use? I used a palm grip for the 518 but feel I need to switch to more of a claw for the G Pro and it's throwing me off. I'm also getting a lot of cramps in my hand but not sure if that's related.
Claw for G Pro but less so on the 518. I tense up a bit when I'm playing and go full claw on either. No cramps though. A main reason for tilting the 518 was that I put pressure on the mouse with my thumb at a downward angle, doing the same on the G Pro and I push down while slightly lifting with my pinky, but like I said I've done away with that now.

"goes crazy on the screen" sounds odd, mine just stops after like a millimeter.

Hupsel

I still really like the deathadder chroma and elite. Better than Logitech ones imo just more comfortable to use the right clicks

Tried the G900 after people suggested it here but couldn't really adjust to it after years of deathadder use.

Got a Zowie EC2-A and haven't looked back. Best mouse I've ever used in regards to comfort and smoothness. Only gripe is the side buttons are awful and super mushy

Thinking about buying a Orbweaver, DeathAdder and a Naga, the former two for Overwatch an the latter two for WoW.
Give me the run down on why I should or shouldn't.

I also use a Razer Deathadder mouse. My keyboard is a Razer Blackwidow Stealth; which is not stealthy as the name implies. I do like that the keyboard has USB passthrough, so I can just connect my mouse directly to the keyboard.

I really like the mouse, and think the keyboard is okay, but don't have as strong of an opinion about it.

Im_Special

So I'm thinking of picking up a G900 because everyone talks about it being awesome and mines getting old and it's $100 off right now so I should probably jump on this now while I can.

Questions though, How long is the cord?

Can the led lights be turned off? That shit looks annoying.

There looks to be some kind of programmable software, is this like a firmware built into the mouse or do I need to install something to my PC to run it, I'd rather not have something run with Windows and pollute my taskbar even more.

Is it easy to clean? Seems hard to just wipe off with all those nooks and crannies everywhere.

I also don't plan on using this wirelessly much, if at all, it'll be a desktop mouse and cables for me aren't an issue, question, how does the cable connect to the mouse, could it ever shake lose from use, or does it connect rather tight requiring a bit of force to unplug.

TheExodu5

Banned

if you like the MX518, DO NOT get the G502. You'll hate it. I abhor mine. It's much smaller and heavier. Too small for palm grip, and too heavy for fingertip grip. Buttons are awkwardly placed as well.

spootime

closest I've found to a 518 was the finalmouse ergo. Too bad it has shitty build quality / is discontinued.

Palm grip? G403. Braided cable unless you pick wireless. This is the first mouse I tried after my g9x started acting up and it was not for me. This is palm grip only. I use fingertip and I didn't like it.

Hard Claw grip? G303 which is discontinued. Braided cable. Comes with nice rubber side grips which feel like quality. I tried the G303 after the G403 didn't work out and while extremely accurate and nice, it hurt my wrist after 2 hours. I'm mainly a fingertip gripper so I can't go hard claw grip for long periods of time.

Fingertip/Claw grip and playing it safe? G203 which is the g102 outside the US. This is the one I have and it comes with a rubber cord. Really light. Some say the g203 is better than the G pro because it's cheaper and the addressed the clicking issues some had with the g pro. Some also prefer rubber cable over braided. Only gripe I had with the g203 was the sides became slippery/hard to grasp when my hand became sweaty. Which is why I got these and attached it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATH0KEA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Renekton

So I'm thinking of picking up a G900 because everyone talks about it being awesome and mines getting old and it's $100 off right now so I should probably jump on this now while I can.

There looks to be some kind of programmable software, is this like a firmware built into the mouse or do I need to install something to my PC to run it, I'd rather not have something run with Windows and pollute my taskbar even more.
6ft cable

LED can be turned off. You definitely need the Logitech Gaming Software, but it's a good utility.

Profanity

Is it easy to clean? Seems hard to just wipe off with all those nooks and crannies everywhere.

I also don't plan on using this wirelessly much, if at all, it'll be a desktop mouse and cables for me aren't an issue, question, how does the cable connect to the mouse, could it ever shake lose from use, or does it connect rather tight requiring a bit of force to unplug.

The cable is about 6ft/2m.

Yes, the profile/charging lights and the Logitech light can be turned off both, or individually.

Personally I had to install (or rather update from an older version) the Logitech Gaming Software in order for the G900 to be recognised and used correctly. If it's like the G502 I had previously though, you can setup the mouse (DPI, button assignments, lighting etc.) and it'll save the settings onto the mouse itself. This means you should be able to uninstall LGS and the mouse will run fine with the settings you've programmed into it. Honestly though LGS is very lightweight and a pretty good package.

Not had mine very long, so can't answer that. I find thumb buttons on mice are usually the biggest pain to clean, so the fact they're detachable here could be an advantage down the line.

The cable connects at the front through a micro-USB interface - the cable head has two prongs on it to guide it into the connection on the mouse. It's a very stiff connection - you need to pull it rather hard to remove the cable.

SOLDIER

Enjoying the comfort and versatility of the G502 I bought, but I have yet to get the pointer speed to feel "just right" for me. The mouse movements feel too quick and not entirely precise. Ditto for the middle mouse scroll.

Any advice on settings for both? I also have accelerated turned on, as it feels especially off without it.

I just got a G502 and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good mouse pad to pair with it. I have a custom wood desk and I don't want to mess it up at all.

I like the hard surface mouse pads but if cloth works better for that mouse I can bend.

sca2511

if you like the MX518, DO NOT get the G502. You'll hate it. I abhor mine. It's much smaller and heavier. Too small for palm grip, and too heavy for fingertip grip. Buttons are awkwardly placed as well.

closest I've found to a 518 was the finalmouse ergo. Too bad it has shitty build quality / is discontinued.

I've read that the Roccat Kone Pure Owl-Eye is pretty close to the feel of the MX518/MX510.

Hip Hop

I just got a G502 and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good mouse pad to pair with it. I have a custom wood desk and I don't want to mess it up at all.

I like the hard surface mouse pads but if cloth works better for that mouse I can bend.

I've found this mouse is better with hard surfaces.

The Razer Sphex works amazing with the G502, don't think I want to use anything else.

Maddrical

Y'all have convinced me to get the Logitech G Pro after work today. Haven't owned a Logitech product since I owned my first PC about 13 years ago. Been using a RAT7 for about 5-ish years so it's gonna be a lot different. I mainly play DOTA and I know the G Pro is preferred for FPS but I'm over the cyborg look of modern gaming mice. Only other one that interests me is the Steelseries Sensei since I have respect for Steelseries after they replaced my broken headset for free. But too many good impressions for the G Pro.

What about mouse mats? Or is that one of those 'any shitty $2 mouse mat will do' type scenario?

Im_Special

So I picked up a both a G900 and a G403 since they were both on sale but will probably be returning both of them because the G900 feels too long in my hands, as in when trying to hit the middle button my finger hits the lower tip part of the wheel and not ideally in top center of it, and then with the G403 it makes this god awful springy sound with the bottom side button as my thumb kinda sticks to it with the moisture. Does other g403 owners here have this button noise problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbnbXv3Xrw

I wonder if mines defective and I should try an exchange if this is not considered normal, other then that noise it's feels good.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I've got the Logitech G302 and within nine months the primary mouse button started double-clicking randomly. Got it replaced, no prob (didn't even ask me to mail in the old mouse), and now, another nine months later, one of the side thumb buttons (which I use as mouse 3) is multi-clicking.

I use the button to open a new tab for instance and 4 tabs will fly open. Annoying.

Hasney

Hey, my Z finally showed up. This was that modular, Kickstarter mouse wwith motion controls like tilt and stuff for flight games and pressure sensitive buttons.

mWJToZ9.jpg

eWfxcZ5.jpg

Might not get time to play around with it today, but I'll post back when I can.

Ensirius

Hard Claw grip? G303 which is discontinued. Braided cable. Comes with nice rubber side grips which feel like quality. I tried the G303 after the G403 didn't work out and while extremely accurate and nice, it hurt my wrist after 2 hours. I'm mainly a fingertip gripper so I can't go hard claw grip for long periods of time.

What? They discontinued it already?
I have been using it for over a year now and I am overall happy.
I might try the FK1 in the future though.

Hasney

Really curious about this, have been close to pulling the trigger a few times.

Currently have a g900 I adore

I have high hopes for this thing: http://www.swiftpoint.com/Z.html
mc3yCsA.png

So I've been using the Swiftpoint Z for a few days now and I really like this fucking mouse, goddamn. Was using a Roccat Kone+ which was nice, but the way the button setup is on this makes it another level for some games.

There's 3 buttons on each side of the mouse, so there's the main LMB, then acap closer to the body and a smaller cap right close to the body. Sounds awkward, but the three parts you can just hit with different parts of your finger when needed. There's a further two thumb buttons on the left, clickable mouse wheel (also clickable by nudging it left for a quick action in a game) and two other buttons to the left of LMB. It all takes a bit of getting used to with the three buttons, but when it clicks, it clicks.

There's also pressure sensitive mouse buttons which you can configure how you like based on % of force. You do have to try to get 100% and it vibrates when you do, so I have it setup for Roadhog on Overwatch where fire is any pressure, but 100% is melee which makes it a great way to hit the shot/melee after a hook.

That's it button wise, and while I haven't used all the buttons a whole ton for gaming, but in Widows, it's fantastic. The left top cap acts as alt+tab and you can move the mouse left and right to pick a program, while the right one is ctrl+tab.

The other functions I've not used that much so far are motion control. I played around and it is very accurate and will be great on flight sims. Going to try out Battlefield in a bit. There's also force feedback and by lifting the mouse up and to the right, it goes into a config mode to set DPI or change profile on the fly. Aesthetically, there's an RGB logo on the back and an OLED screen on the front left which shows what you want it to.

Complaints are that the driver program to configure it all is kind of a mess right now and the vibration when going into config mode feels cheap, like something was rattling, although all the other vibration feels fine.

This is easily the best mouse I've ever used, but I got this at $149 on Kickstarter, which feels very reasonable for a premium, high featured mouse. Looking at their website, they now want $229. I don't know if I would pay that for it...

So I've been using the Swiftpoint Z for a few days now and I really like this fucking mouse, goddamn. Was using a Roccat Kone+ which was nice, but the way the button setup is on this makes it another level for some games.

There's 3 buttons on each side of the mouse, so there's the main LMB, then acap closer to the body and a smaller cap right close to the body. Sounds awkward, but the three parts you can just hit with different parts of your finger when needed. There's a further two thumb buttons on the left, clickable mouse wheel (also clickable by nudging it left for a quick action in a game) and two other buttons to the left of LMB. It all takes a bit of getting used to with the three buttons, but when it clicks, it clicks.

There's also pressure sensitive mouse buttons which you can configure how you like based on % of force. You do have to try to get 100% and it vibrates when you do, so I have it setup for Roadhog on Overwatch where fire is any pressure, but 100% is melee which makes it a great way to hit the shot/melee after a hook.

That's it button wise, and while I haven't used all the buttons a whole ton for gaming, but in Widows, it's fantastic. The left top cap acts as alt+tab and you can move the mouse left and right to pick a program, while the right one is ctrl+tab.

The other functions I've not used that much so far are motion control. I played around and it is very accurate and will be great on flight sims. Going to try out Battlefield in a bit. There's also force feedback and by lifting the mouse up and to the right, it goes into a config mode to set DPI or change profile on the fly. Aesthetically, there's an RGB logo on the back and an OLED screen on the front left which shows what you want it to.

Complaints are that the driver program to configure it all is kind of a mess right now and the vibration when going into config mode feels cheap, like something was rattling, although all the other vibration feels fine.

This is easily the best mouse I've ever used, but I got this at $149 on Kickstarter, which feels very reasonable for a premium, high featured mouse. Looking at their website, they now want $229. I don't know if I would pay that for it...

Seems... Really weird? So I'm guessing the main appeal is endless functionality/configurability? In my eyes it just seems to be offering a ton of stuff that I never wanted in the first place.

How's the weight?

Kinda agree with the g502. I use it as my main mouse for most games, but when playing competitive R6, I switch to the Razer Death Adder.

Top Bottom