• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mouse for PC Gaming? 2017

FinKL

A half man I'm still using an intellimouse 3.0 from 2003. I need something new.

Love this mouse, from my CS 1.6 LAN days.

Obviously Microsoft doesn't make it any more, but I find the Steel Series Sensei RAW the closest thing (symmetrical) for me and has 2 more buttons!

26-249-093-08.jpg

The con is the rubberized grip material peeled off so I would advise get the glossy one

bender

What time is it?
I bought a G303 but I don't find it comfortable compared to the G500 I was replacing. The end where your palm rests it too narrow and it feels a little wobbly. I used to love Logitech's gear but I really dislike the current aesthetic. I love these threads as I'm always looking for new ideas. The M65 looks comfortable so maybe I'll give it a shot.

My Logitech G900 has to be the best mouse I've ever owned. Holy fuck it's great for the price.

g900-chaos-spectrum-mouse.png

I caved. priced matched Amazon at BB and used a Gift Cert for $20 off. My wireless Mamba, which I always ended up using wired, finally is starting to get funky. Hopefully this guy lasts as long.

Edit: Feels good, but not off to a great start here. How the hell do they not have a mouse 4 and mouse 5 button as options for macro? I always use the side "Back" button for PTT and I don't like to use keys for it.

Edit 2: Ok apparently back and forward are just another way of saying MB 4, MB 5. But why did my Razer not cause my browser windows to go back and forwards but my Logitech does. I need to disable those shortcut keys in chrome somehow.

aett

Yep, that's what killed mine too. Some of the side buttons started having issues as well. Glad your 2014 is working well. I know what you mean by the clickier buttons. I credit the Naga with training me how to use that side button layout without having to think about it.

I can't even play MMOs without the extra buttons now. Plus it would mean completely redoing my UIs and everything.

LucoLoss

Neo Member
Quite enjoying my Razer Mamba (2015), having it since February 2016 I think. Having some issues with connection (sometimes it just unplugs itself on wireless/wire), but overall it is really good mouse for everyone who likes to be on-the-go.

rezn0r

Here's my customary fuck you Razer post. Was a loyal supporter for years but they opened up an RMA for me twice last year and then completely ignored me. The same mouse/issue, the same RMA, just stopped replying when it came time to sending it in to them. So eat shit Razer, everyone go buy Logitech or any other brand mentioned here, avoid Razer.

Still Loving my G600. Used it religiously for FFXIV a few years back and it still comes in handy for games like overwatch. May make the change if a good deal comes along tho

chixdiggit

Well, with the G403 or G900, it really just means that if you play every night, you'll be using a wired mouse for one night every couple weeks. Or you can just plug it in when you're done playing for the night. They come with a cord that turns your mouse into a wired mouse while it charges. Not really a hassle at all.

That actually sounds great. The G900 will probably be my next mouse now.

Sorry for going off topic but is there a laptop thread that I can check out? I'm possibly going to get my first laptop tomorrow but I want to know which to get.

EDIT: Actually I think I just found it!

I've been rockin a Nixeus Revel and its been pretty great so far (only a few months in). It doesn't have a mountain of buttons like the mmo mice but it gets the job done. Seems kind of popular with the CSGO crowd but I'm more of a Blizzard guy myself.

WaterAstro

My Steelseries Sensei is starting to have double click issues.

I wouldn't want something that looks tacky futuristic like the g900. Is there anything else simpler that is good? Just need two side buttons, mouse wheel.

LQX

Bought the G900 last Black Friday but sold it. It just feels sort of small.

Using the G502 now and I really like it. I also think the G602 is really good as it was my preferred mouse for a while. Wireless and the batteries last weeks.

Arulan

I caved. priced matched Amazon at BB and used a Gift Cert for $20 off. My wireless Mamba, which I always ended up using wired, finally is starting to get funky. Hopefully this guy lasts as long.

Edit: Feels good, but not off to a great start here. How the hell do they not have a mouse 4 and mouse 5 button as options for macro? I always use the side "Back" button for PTT and I don't like to use keys for it.

Edit 2: Ok apparently back and forward are just another way of saying MB 4, MB 5. But why did my Razer not cause my browser windows to go back and forwards but my Logitech does. I need to disable those shortcut keys in chrome somehow.

A lot of VoIP software allows you to do this, Mumble and TeamSpeak for instance. It's called suppress key, or sometimes discard key.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
My first MMO mouse was a Razer Naga from 2011 and it started making doubleclicks constantly by around mid-2013. I tried using the G600 for a bit, but couldn't get past the "mushy" side buttons. I've had a Naga 2014 since, well, 2014 and haven't had any problems with it, and I absolutely love the mechanical side buttons. I don't have any attachment to Razer itself (and hate its aesthetics) so if another company wanted to use very clicky buttons for their MMO mouse, I'd be all in.
I had a Copperhead go bad that way. The middle mouse button just went to shit on my Naga. I'd still rather use a broken Naga than my Logitech G600. Those Razer SOBs pretty much have a monopoly on claw mousers.

I'm a huge Logitech fan, I recommend the G900 or G403. The G Pro is a very liable mouse, super lightweight but also rather small.

Your best bet is figuring out what type of grip you have and go from there

Minarik

I have to recommend the G900. It's not the mouse comfortable mouse for claw grips IMO, but it's so responsive and the wireless literally responds faster than a lot of wired mice. Also, the DPI buttons are nice and easy to press on the fly, you don't have to hunt for them.

I used to use a G9x, which is mouse nirvana but not made anymore, and also own a G502 and a Corsair M65 Pro. I can't stand the G502 - I don't like the grip, the side buttons feel like ass, it feels much cheaper than my G900 and M65 Pro.

The M65 Pro would be my go-to if I didn't own the G900. It's super comfortable IMO for both palm and claw grip, all aluminum construction so if feels nicely built, has adjustable weights, and I really like the side button placement and "sniper" button. Only complaint is that the DPI switches are somewhat annoying to reach in a hurry.

MDave

Is there a guide for the best settings to use in Windows and games so I get the most out of the mouse for FPS gaming / desktop use? I don't want bad habits to develop or bad settings to get in the way of getting optimal mouse performance, but I also don't want to compromise on comfort or develop wrist pain / fatigue to get there hah.

Is there a guide for the best settings to use in Windows and games so I get the most out of the mouse for FPS gaming / desktop use? I don't want bad habits to develop or bad settings to get in the way of getting optimal mouse performance, but I also don't want to compromise on comfort or develop wrist pain / fatigue to get there hah.

Honestly, it really comes down to user preference. There's really no "right" way to configure things.

peakish

Turn off mouse acceleration. Windows calls it "Enhance Pointer Precision."

Hasney

I backed that Kickstarter for the Z Mouse with motion controls and all that stuff and it looks like they're almost out. Will write up some brief impressions once I get mine.

b0bbyJ03

I'm actually glad I came in this thread. I've been considering trying a new mouse (even though I'm not unhappy with mine). I'm currently using the Rival 300. Is this considered a heavy mouse? If so, what can I try that would be lighter but similar? I play a lot of battlefield.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
I backed that Kickstarter for the Z Mouse with motion controls and all that stuff and it looks like they're almost out. Will write up some brief impressions once I get mine.

Really curious about this, have been close to pulling the trigger a few times.

Currently have a g900 I adore

outsidah

I shunned wireless mice after years of problems with them. I've used a Razer Deathadder, Logitech G403, G502 and G Pro in the last year. Ive been using the Pro as it was my favorite.

All that changed with the G900. I expected it to be crap but it's blown me away the past few days of owning it. Works amazingly well and it feels better to me than any of the others I mentioned.

Edit 2: Ok apparently back and forward are just another way of saying MB 4, MB 5. But why did my Razer not cause my browser windows to go back and forwards but my Logitech does.

gallery-1458847661-a8eafd8b-beea-4e92-9798-a2cc4c71e4df-cb296506521.jpg

^because those are the default programmed buttons for the G900. download Logitech Gaming Software and change 'em.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I have to recommend the G900. It's not the mouse comfortable mouse for claw grips IMO, but it's so responsive and the wireless literally responds faster than a lot of wired mice. Also, the DPI buttons are nice and easy to press on the fly, you don't have to hunt for them.

I used to use a G9x, which is mouse nirvana but not made anymore, and also own a G502 and a Corsair M65 Pro. I can't stand the G502 - I don't like the grip, the side buttons feel like ass, it feels much cheaper than my G900 and M65 Pro.

The M65 Pro would be my go-to if I didn't own the G900. It's super comfortable IMO for both palm and claw grip, all aluminum construction so if feels nicely built, has adjustable weights, and I really like the side button placement and "sniper" button. Only complaint is that the DPI switches are somewhat annoying to reach in a hurry.
Might have to give the M65 a spin. I've used G9x since it came out and it's only just now starting to feel aged.

Are there gaming oriented models with, pardon me, silent keys?

You can buy keyboards with membrane switches, feels squishy with each keystroke so they don't sell well. I couldn't even recommend one as I've never used one and less and less manufacturers are making them

MaxiLive

I purchased one of these for myself early in the year (Logitech Pro Gaming Mouse):

pro-gaming-mouse.png

It can be found fairly cheap on ebay etc if you don't want the retail package.

It is a very simple mouse but does a great job, the only down side for me is the lack of changeable weights which is something I've always had in my "gaming" mice so it feels a little light compared to what I'm used to.

I'm not a hyper competitive gamer though but it feels decent in Overwatch/LoL!

laxu

No love for ROCCAT? I'm rocking the Kone XTD and I love it. ROCCAT has a bunch of models worth looking at too

71CKrvqYCpL._SL1500_.jpg

RGB bullshit aside that actually looks pretty nice. Is the wheel the regular clicky kind? Does Logitech have a patent on the free rolling wheel because I really like that feature for everyday use.

ChrisG683

RGB bullshit aside that actually looks pretty nice. Is the wheel the regular clicky kind? Does Logitech have a patent on the free rolling wheel because I really like that feature for everyday use.

ROCCAT has their own "Titan wheel" I believe it's called and it's extremely nice. It clicks at it scrolls and I love the left/right tilts for gaming. It doesn't have the "loose" or "free" spin that Logitech mice have, but I never cared for that in the first place, I like the precise clicks on the scroll, so this may not be the mouse for you.

Additionally they have other models that have way less RGB if that's not your thing. Check out the Kone Pure btw, which I think is a very similar mouse as the new Kone EMP (newer XTD) except without the RGB. The only complaint I have about the other models is that the Kone XTD and EMP are the only ones with the tilting wheel.

gallery-kone-pure-2017-picture04-v1-CXuqW-1-80-000-830x490.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I love my Logitech G600.

g600-gaming-mouse-images.png

I had a Naga for years. When that crapped out on me, I went to a G600. I have since stopped playing MMOs, but this mouse is still amazing and super versatile. You don't think you'll ever need or use those buttons, but you totally end up finding a use case in nearly every game. A+

Arminsc

I got the Steelseries Rival 100 a few months ago and it has worked wonderfully for me so far. Not the most high-end mouse out there, but for the price I'd say it's really good value.
It also has RGB ligts if you are into that, and is really light and confortable.

Radec

cg_sabre_01.png

Bought this earlier and this probably the best mouse I've bought.

I've been checking in the Mionix Naos but can't find one in my country. Then I've stumble this corsair sabre that almost look like the shape of the mionix. Feels so good to hold and very smooth on my aluminium mouse pad.

I hope the 20mil click actuations is legit. Can't stand logitech because of those omron switches failing too soon.

I'm very happy with my 2016 Naga. I had a couple of the previous versions before that and while they do crap out every so often, the experience while they last is still great to me.

I'm playing WoW less and less now so perhaps it's time to look to something else, but where I can make the extra keys work, it's generally good times.

Top Bottom