• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Grannel, ex Sony dev interview.

To people who watched it, are these quotes real? if so this is embarrassing coming from a game dev even if retired, something you would expect from pr journos

Yeah lets completely ignore clock speeds

Cerny mentioned a game using rt reflections and there's also Quantum Error. Shows how informed he really is

Deleted doesn't necessarily translate to retract, he didn't make any retraction comments, another possibility is he was forced to delete it due to NDAs?

Yup those quotes are real

He also claimed Cerny wasn't even talking about real time raytracing and instead it was "old technology"

ethomaz

Banned
Another example of someone losing all personal dignity in he name of console wars. Resorting to name calling and appealing to censorship because of a technical interview? on the free internet?

I'll tell you who's lying. YOU.
  1. There is no proof that any NDA was involved in the Crytek guy retracting his statements. He could very well have been proven wrong and walked back what he said. You are spreading a fabrication:
    dBUQKKc.png
  2. Chris Grannel has developed for Sony and has a verifiable track record as a dev. Nowhere does he say that the PS5 does not have ray tracing. He said that it's an area where the PS5 will not be able to compete and all he's saying is based on what he's hearing in the industry. There's another dev on the show supporting his claims
So to sum up you made up 2 lies and asked us to decide who was lieing between the two. All in the name if a plastic box that you don't own. You're taking console warring to unprecedented heights Sir.
Yeap we already know who lied a lot about SSD's speeds in the other thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BTW the link you posted just shows he asked to remove the interview due top down pressure ;)
And the Chris Grannel fake claim are all recorded in the video... you can watch them lol

Last edited:

Arkam

Yay this guy again. He could be right.... but it would be a guess out his ass with no first hand experience with either devkit. But hey believe who you want to believe. I can personally wait a month to see the games on both before I start picking a horse.

ethomaz

Banned
Why are all those guys ex-this, ex-that? They don't work anymore? What are they doing now?
Actually he is the owner and founder of that: https://urbanzoo.io
It is not videogame related btw.
It is like a Facebook + Whatapp for sport guys to talk with their fans.
Not much Sport Clubs uses it... so the chances to you have used it are pretty low.

Last edited:
Why are all those guys ex-this, ex-that? They don't work anymore? What are they doing now?

Like someone mentioned earlier on another forum I believe, most devs that talk about XSX and PS5 hardware aren't on NDA thus don't have access to devkits. The reason they are ex this and ex that confirms this in a way. All this tells me we don't know much but people that used to work on the industry have more contacts and knowledge than armchair techies praised here and there.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is the OP from the other thread that got merged here
Chris Granell has worked on Formula One Series, Wipeout HD:Fury and Killzone 2 for Playstation. In this Dealer-Gaming podcast he explains why Xbox Series X caught Sony off guard.

From 2:09:34

This confirms what Tom Warren had previously said

So Sony was creating a 9.2 TF console this WHOLE time, and then at the last second overclocked it to 10.3 TFs? So did Sony also create all the other silicon in the console that's being used to manage the variable clocks? Did they also design the OS to manage all that too at the last minute?

This sounds like something that would have been well thought out, instead of changing it at the last minute.

Dory16

Banned
Yeap we already know who lied a lot about SSD's speeds in the other thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BTW the link you posted just shows he asked to remove the interview due top down pressure ;)
And the Chris Grannel fake claim are all recorded in the video... you can watch them lol

Lieing is your trademark. I've proved that you make things up as you go along and your reply is to make more things up.
Nobody should ever take anything you say seriously.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So Sony was creating a 9.2 TF console this WHOLE time, and then at the last second overclocked it to 10.3 TFs? So did Sony also create all the other silicon in the console that's being used to manage the variable clocks? Did they also design the OS to manage all that too at the last minute?

This sounds like something that would have been well thought out, instead of changing it at the last minute.

They found a game designer making off hands technical comments that seem to almost support their narrative and they will milk it until it is dry.

Dory16

Banned
It's quite fitting that a podcast focused on Xbox decides to get developers (or an ex developer in this case) to come on and speak about the PS5 of all things.

Pretty much sums it up.
How dare they not ask for your permission beforehand? They have only dedicated their entire professional life to the medium.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Chris Grannel made good points. An ex-Sony employee telling it like it is is always different when the pay stub doesn't comes from Sony.

Interesting how direct employees of a console maker or third party employees with tight relationships always say great things.

But when someone who worked on a console years back and is now totally third party or doesn't even work in the games industry anymore typically have very different things to say about a console.

Funny how that works.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Another example of someone losing all personal dignity in he name of console wars. Resorting to name calling and appealing to censorship because of a technical interview? on the free internet?

I'll tell you who's lying. YOU.
  1. There is no proof that any NDA was involved in the Crytek guy retracting his statements. He could very well have been proven wrong and walked back what he said. You are spreading a fabrication:
    dBUQKKc.png
  2. Chris Grannel has developed for Sony and has a verifiable track record as a dev. Nowhere does he say that the PS5 does not have ray tracing. He said that it's an area where the PS5 will not be able to compete and all he's saying is based on what he's hearing in the industry. There's another dev on the show supporting his claims
So to sum up you made up 2 lies and asked us to decide who was lieing between the two. All in the name if a plastic box that you don't own. You're taking console warring to unprecedented heights Sir.
You must be a special someone haha

Name calling like when dealer called neogaf a trash forum with a bunch of pussies yeah you heard right he said that but yeah you are a special someone.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Just a correction he is game dev for over 7 years or so.
I can get the right time if you want.

Edit - Fixed... the first game work was in 2013.
He became a game Dev on 2018 when he joined Crytek
Before that he was in multiple robotics companies.
Also, in Arna he developed back-end for browser based games
At 2008, ARNA Company was established and started to develop web and online gaming solutions. ARNAs staffs’ relentless efforts, resulted in great successful projects such as Bank of Pasargad portal, 90tv website (most popular TV show in IRAN), Super Shoot (an Android game), Parscup (Web-based Online Management Football game), Kids of BPi (Bank of Pasargad website designed to gamify banking process for kids). These projects received good reviews from Iranian web experts and were greeted warmly in many domestic fairs.
No, he has not been in any form of game development for any console/pc(or even smartphone) games. Seems like the kind of guy modern Crytek will hire.

Its a dealer video.
I leave it there.

No i dont.

Dealer is a fucktard and is an embarrasement for xbox society.
He is phatetic IQ fighter who alwasy but always wants to shit on sony like a 10 year old manchild.
His tone his delivery.....i wouldnt hire his kind and i am sure he is some unemployed wanker and way before this virus started.

It's always something, isn't it? PS5 truthers are like a cult I swear to god.

If they did make the changes at the last minute they could run into a ton of hardware issues without extensive testing.

As for this ex developer of Sony from 10 years ago who doesn't make games anymore. I don't believe him over developers that are still in the industry.

ethomaz

Banned
He became a game Dev on 2018 when he joined Crytek
Before that he was in multiple robotics companies.
Also, in Arna he developed back-end for browser based games

No, he has not been in any form of game development for any console/pc(or even smartphone) games. Seems like the kind of guy modern Crytek will hire.
Your link says the opposite.

Lead Programmer
Arna
fev de 2013 – set de 20174 anos 8 meses
Tehran
My main responsibility is to lead the development of technical aspects at Arna Game Division, and Adon, our internal gaming backend technology.
I also develop core server-side C++ applications, including simulator and analyzer for the Parscup (parscup.com) online coaching games. I've also developed Parscup mobile client application for iOS and Android.

Graphic Programmer
RoboCup Federation
fev de 2013 – ago de 20141 ano 7 meses
Tehran
My main responsibilities are developing graphics features to meet our visual target, including core rendering and post processing effects.

Graphics Programmer
Tosan Gaam
dez de 2013 – jul de 20148 meses
Tehran
My main responsibilities are developing graphics features to boost the visuals, including core rendering and gameplay-specific effects.

Graphic Programmer
Dead Mage Studio
jun de 2013 – jan de 20148 meses
I joined the Dead Mage Studio as graphic programmer to implement some special shaders for their Shadow Blade game.
Then some research were done on physically based rendering for their upcoming unannounced game.

But maybe you just forget to keep reading lol

BTW the games he worked before CryTek.

These are the game projects that I have been involved in:

• Raze Roshan (Third person, story-driven action game for PC built with Unity)
  • Dark Madness (Third person, story-driven horror game for PC built with Unity)
  • Ashoub (Online multiplayer and story-based Collectible Card Game for mobile platforms)
  • Q-Bang (Twin stick shooter game targeted for both mobile and console platforms)
  • ParsCup (browser-based online soccer team management game)

Last edited:

Here he also believes first party titles might not make full use of the SSD because Sony "won't want to spend 1 to 2 years rewriting their games to port to PC"

If anything Sony will make the console their top priority. So if a game can't run on a PC due to a lack of an SSD it won't come out on that platform.

I don't see Sony investing so much into their I/O technology only to throw it away due to releasing games on PC.

Jtibh

Banned
It's always something, isn't it? PS5 truthers are like a cult I swear to god.
No called him for what he is last year before ps5 reveal
He is trash and will never change.
Why dont you go back to his old videos and see what lies this guy was spreading.
And most of them were anti sony and dooms day for sony for years.
His whole channel is about how sony will loose how sony will fail and so on and so on

So how am i a ps5 truther please explain to me .

Its ok to have a fanboy channel but when every upload is about how microsoft destroys sony then what is this if not console war huh?
Why not just report xbox only stuff without pushing this ps5 weak dead etc narritive?

Well I hope that now people will not blindly believe "devs" when they say one is better than the other. Unless one side doesn't have to prove their "devs" are reliable...

Dory16

Banned
What on earth are you on about?
How dare they not ask for your permission beforehand? They have only dedicated their entire professional life to the video game industry in various capacities.
I would think that entitles them to speak about the PS5 just as much as you do but what do I know?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

The smart shift tech is part of the AMD chip.

It is more likely that they had been simultaneously exploring both a fixed clock and variable clock solution. Then made the call based on a number of factors like R&D, stress testing, marketing, compatibility, etc.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

PS5's making ALL KINDS of gains!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So basically about the same circumstances as the Crytek dev in the interview they gave, then. That's why all of these type of interviews should come with a pinch of salt; if they have some prior history working for a platform holder, they probably have a tiny bit of skin in the game.

Doesn't mean their points aren't worth taking into consideration when it comes to the larger scale discussion, however.

Not really. The provenance here is just poor.

I'm sorry but when your source's career highlights consist largely of design positions on PS2/PS3 era F1 titles out of Studio Liverpool you know you aren't dealing with someone that technologically informed! Especially when its extremely unusual (never happens, realistically) to migrate from design to coding later in one's career.

Gotta be honest too. Most people I know in the business are very tight-lipped these days, blabbing to people about stuff under NDA is just not smart. No upside just the potential for cataclysmic blowback... why would you reveal anything?

I keep my mouth shut out of respect for my contacts, and I don't pry for the same reasons. I sure as shit won't be found putting myself about on Twitter under my own name...

RaySoft

Interesting that when there are devs talking up the Sony SSD that's 100% important and relevant. When it's another dev saying something critical, it should be immediately dismissed. Never fails to disappoint, SonyGAF.

I thought the xbox guys were running around chanting that the Lockhart would'nt hold back the Series X?
Still @18:15 to 21:00 This industry vet., Optimus, stated otherwise. Judging by Dealer & Co's reply, they either didn't understood any of it, or they quietly swept it under the rug,

Last edited:

I thought the xbox guys were running around chanting that the Lockhart would'nt hold back the Series X?
Still @18:15 to 21:00 This industry vet., Optimus, stated otherwise. Judging by Dealer & Co's reply, they either didn't understood any of it, or they quietly swept it under the rug,

So on this very specific subject he is credible but should be dismissed as soon as the narrative doesn't align with PS5 being on top?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Ok took a bit but I listened to the whole podcast. There are some very interesting claims being made here. Here are a few of my takeaways

In regards to raytracing
Yes Sony has it, but Cerny didn't mention it. The devs on the podcast seem to think this could signal that the tech is there but possibly inferior to XSX. Personally I don't really buy that because we don't know much about XSX RTX capability either other than it's "Hardware Accelerated". So I'm 50/50 on that. I guess overall, because of the compute power difference, one would assume Sony's is not as capable.

About SSD and what it means in reference to performance:
According to the devs, the bottomline is that a faster SSD will not amount to better graphics. Two different things controlled by 2 different pieces of the hardware. What it comes down to is synergy and how well the system performs as a whole. In that they seem to suggest the XSX is the better engineered system due to things like constant TFLOP count and some other things I'm not quite savvy enough to understand fully.

When it comes down to First party vs Third party development, including PC
They said PS5's SSD would be taken full advantage of by first party studios, but 3rd party studios wouldn't use the SSD at it's full advantage. I would assume if the 3rd party does an exclusive game for PS5, that game would be able to take full advantage, however games that are multiplat or going to PC would not be able to take full advantage because of developing for the most common denominator.

Speaking of PC
If it comes down to anything holding back next gen games, it would be PC. I know this is gonna ruffle some features, but what the devs said actually made sense. It's due to the minimum spec. Next gen, you'll still have people who run a 1060. Ultimately it's up to the devs, but they aren't likely to cut off a large chunk of their player base if most people have lower end GPUs. I was unclear on how this affects the next gen consoles exactly. For exclusives that will be put on PC, either the minimum spec would need to raised to meet at least Lockhart levels (rumored) or those games may suffer as well. Especially if devs want to develop games that will work on SATA hard drives. This makes me weary of dumping more money to upgrade my PC at this time. At least this kind of defeats the narrative that "I'll just play it on PC"...I mean you can, but in all likelihood, you may be playing an inferior version come the beginning of the gen. This goes double if PS5 releases their exclusives on PC as well.

Overall, it was a really good show. Definitely enjoyed it and look forward to the next one honestly. Last week I think they had Alanah Pierce...which, love her or not...she's pretty funny.

Last edited:

Three

There's 3 possible outcomes from here. This thread gets renamed, closed for being redundant or the developer who gave the quote gets personally attacked and dismissed.
Get that trolling chip off your shoulder. I hope you feel better.

Top Bottom