• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Nolan's 'Inception' to star Dicaprio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Bloodrage said:
2uhxown.jpg
2rxcpkm.jpg
17uurq.jpg
2qxpd3p.jpg
11rvq77.jpg
2yuy1ps.jpg
2j3mp8w.jpg

Thank you!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Guzim said:
Don't know if it has been posted or not, but according to IMDB, the runtime is 142 minutes.
fuck yes. that's almost the same runtime as the lord of the rings

Veidt

jett said:
It's just 2 hours and 30 minutes dude...
That's pretty damn long to me. Most films are 120 hours +/- 10 minutes right?
Besides, every minute of this film will be glorious!

Solo

DieH@rd said:
The more, the better.

I really hate this mindframe. Its not a videogame. If a movie can do what it needs to in 90 minutes, then it should be 90 minutes long, not 120 minutes long. Obviously this isnt with respect to Inception because none of us have seen it, but as a general rule. I dont know how many movie threads on GAF that Ive literally shaken my head over when someone says this.

wRATH2x

Banned
I love an awesome 2 or 3 hour movie. But since I've been really fucking busy, I would love to watch more 90 minute movies than 2 and a half hour movies due to the lack of free time.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I hate watching long movies in the theaters since with trailers, the run time is gonna be almost 3 hours for this movie. Plus I worry about having to go to the rest rooms. I guess I'll either piss my pants or just wait for the Blu Ray.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
wRATH2x said:
I love an awesome 2 or 3 hour movie. But since I've been really fucking busy, I would love to watch more 90 minute movies than 2 and a half hour movies due to the lack of free time.
E X C E P T I O N

It all depends on the film. There are crazy long movies that fly by because of excellent pacing (Zodiac, The Departed, etc.) and short films that feel like the drag on forever (Cop Out, Extraordinary Measures).

As long as directors keep it interesting it really doesn't matter the length.

wRATH2x said:

I agree. There are definitely great movies that are under 2 hours but so many movies with this type of scale need the length. Whenever there are these epic story archs with a long run time it makes me much more engaged and connected with the film like I am part of that journey because it's so damn long. Definitely doesn't work for every movie. I would have been a little questionable had the length been under 2 hours for Inception though because it seems like there will be a lot of explaining to do.

Solo

DanielPlainview said:
It all depends on the film. There are crazy long movies that fly by because of excellent pacing (Zodiac, The Departed, etc.) and short films that feel like the drag on forever (Cop Out, Extraordinary Measures).

As long as directors keep it interesting it really doesn't matter the length.

Thats exactly what I said. A movie should only be as long as it needs to be. Develop your characters, tell your story. Anything beyond that and you start drifting into excess which hurts the movie.

Also, its funny you mention The Departed, because its a perfect candidate for what I am talking about. Its the worst edited movie Scorsese ever made. Its fucking shameful that for all the great work Thelma Schoonmaker has done over the years, she finally got an Oscar for the worst work shes ever done. There is 25 minutes that could easily be trimmed from the movie and you'd have a much better final product. There are wholesale Nicholson scenes in this movie that should have been slashed. We already knew that Frank was a nutjob from the opening scene. They didnt need to reinforce it 10 more times with Jack chewing scenery.

Solo said:
I really hate this mindframe. Its not a videogame. If a movie can do what it needs to in 90 minutes, then it should be 90 minutes long, not 120 minutes long. Obviously this isnt with respect to Inception because none of us have seen it, but as a general rule. I dont know how many movie threads on GAF that Ive literally shaken my head over when someone says this.
Some videogames definitely go on for too long, too (at least the single-player story aspect).

Solo

CajoleJuice said:
Some videogames definitely go on for too long, too (at least the single-player story aspect).

I know. I was just referring to the length = value! mindset that so many gamers have.

Solo said:
I know. I was just referring to the length = value! mindset that so many gamers have.
Fair enough. I can't even bring myself to finish most games over a few hours long nowadays...Mass Effect series aside.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I'm hoping that 150 minutes is packed to the brim with awesomeness, and doesn't have a weak third act like another Nolan film...

Solo

CajoleJuice said:
Anyway, getting back on topic, I'm hoping that 150 minutes is packed to the brim with awesomeness, and doesn't have a weak third act like another Nolan film...

I don't think hes had a third act failure yet ala Danny Boyle, but his third acts in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are notably inferior to the 2 acts that proceed them. Which just so happen to be the "action movie climax" part of the film, which is where Nolan is lacking. I dont see Inception having this problem, because I dont think its going to be that kind of movie.

Solo said:
I don't think hes had a third act failure yet ala Danny Boyle, but his third acts in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are notably inferior to the 2 acts that proceed them. Which just so happen to be the "action movie climax" part of the film, which is where Nolan is lacking. I dont see Inception having this problem, because I dont think its going to be that kind of movie.
Yeah, I can agree with that (on all points, especially the Boyle comment).

DMczaf

harSon

Banned
Solo said:

Blame Alex Garland for some of Boyle's films taking ridiculous turns in the 3rd act.

harSon

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Can't we still blame Boyle for choosing Garland's scripts?

Certainly.

From now on, Boyle should hire two screenwriters, Garland to write the first two acts and someone else to finish it off.

I don't get his fascination with departing from nearly everything he built up in the first two acts... he's done it in Sunshine, The Island and 28 Days Later. It's ridiculous :lol

Solo

harSon said:
Certainly.

From now on, Boyle should hire two screenwriters, Garland to write the first two acts and someone else to finish it off.

I don't get his fascination with departing from nearly everything he built up in the first two acts... he's done it in Sunshine, The Island and 28 Days Later. It's ridiculous :lol

:lol

Bay, not Boyle. And I loved The Beach's turn.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
harSon said:
Certainly.

The Beach.

People who hate on Garland's third acts just seem to hate it when their genre films attempt to actually say something.

harSon

Banned
Dan said:
The Beach.

People who hate on Garland's third acts just seem to hate it when their genre films attempt to actually say something.

I'm perfectly fine with it, I just find the instant transition from traditional Hollywood to something more akin to French New Wave to be unsettling and rather disjointed. It's possible to create a genre film with substance, without having to shit on 75% of your story when transitioning to Act 3.

Anyways, Nolan should reward Wantanabe's awesomeness with a leading role in his next film, the man is beyond badass.

Dan

harSon said:
I'm perfectly fine with it, I just find the instant transition from traditional Hollywood to something more akin to French New Wave to be unsettling and rather disjointed. It's possible to create a genre film with substance, without having to shit on 75% of your story when transitioning to Act 3.
I would love to know how Garland shits on the rest of his scripts with his third acts. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dan said:
The Beach.

Clearly, A massive twist is always needed to make the film say something.

There are good twist/major plot changes(whatever you call it), like No Country for Old Men.
There are bad ones like 28 Days Later and Sunshine. It doesn't help that Boyle is terrible with 3rd acts too.

And awesome to Watanabe getting his chance to direct. Hopefully it's as good as Letters from Iwo Jima and doesn't go on a train wreck like Miracle of Saint Anna.

Yeah Watanabe is great. I'll gladly see the WW2 film he's directing.

It would be nice to see him in more major roles. He was fantastic in Letters from Iwo Jima.

Also I agree on Garland fucking up the third act. Major tonal shifts always occur in his scripts.

harSon

Banned
Dan said:
I would love to know how Garland shits on the rest of his scripts with his third acts. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Sunshine for example,
shifts from hard science fiction to a slasher film. The film seemed to be heading in a direction where the crew members were going to have to face each other, and make a decision as to who lives and who dies for the sake of humanity. But no, we were robbed of that emotional ordeal and given a 3rd act that certainly brings the character and story arcs to an end, but in a way that is uninspired and ridiculously out of sync with the tone of what came before it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i really liked the third act of 28 DAYS LATER, but otherwise i'm with the idea that his third acts get real weird and stupid real fast. unfortunately even that third act of 28DL was done about a billion times better in the (admittedly often cheesy) original DAY OF THE DEAD.

Tonal shift does not = a twist, shintoki.

I love the third act of 28 Days Later. Jim storming the house is brilliant. I like Garland's third acts because they usually take characters who are already in a completely deep hole they need to get out of and then throw in an extra conflict which creates absolutely desperate circumstances.

28 Days wouldn't have been nearly as good if the third act was them arriving at the military base and then trying to survive more hordes of infected alongside the friendly military types.

The family adventure with Frank and Anna was killed off right where it peaked, rather than winding down into survival horror with them.

Veidt

ezekial45 said:
While it doesn't outright spoil things, looking through the illustrations has me piecing things together.
Same reason why I decided to not post the images in said link.
Man, this looks phenomenal.

Dan

harSon said:
Sunshine for example,
shifts from hard science fiction to a slasher film. The film seemed to be heading in a direction where the crew members were going to have to face each other, and make a decision as to who lives and who dies for the sake of humanity. But no, we were robbed of that emotional ordeal and given a 3rd act that certainly brings the character and story arcs to an end, but in a way that is uninspired and ridiculously out of sync with the tone of what came before it.
The third act of Sunshine just makes the obstacle humanity is facing a more intimate personification.
The sun, a force about as godlike as anything in our known universe, is dying and taking humanity with it. This is man versus nature on an epic scale, with Pinbacker as the up-close-and-personal personification of nature. Who is humanity, an infinitesimal species that's only existed for the blink of eye on a cosmic scale, to step in and radically alter the life of the sun? He's just a living embodiment of the forces that the Icarus II faced in the earlier parts of the film, which were all about the insignificance of mankind and its creations against the vast power of space and the sun.

he film seemed to be heading in a direction where the crew members were going to have to face each other, and make a decision as to who lives and who dies for the sake of humanity.
Not sure what movie you watched, but those scenes are there. You don't get the aftermath but that wouldn't have been terribly interesting without having the last act
be about the return trip with the remaining crew dealing with survivor's guilt, and that'd be another tonal shift as well

Scullibundo said:
Tonal shift does not = a twist, shintoki.

I love the third act of 28 Days Later. Jim storming the house is brilliant. I like Garland's third acts because they usually take characters who are already in a completely deep hole they need to get out of and then throw in an extra conflict which creates absolutely desperate circumstances.

28 Days wouldn't have been nearly as good if the third act was them arriving at the military base and then trying to survive more hordes of infected alongside the friendly military types.

The family adventure with Frank and Anna was killed off right where it peaked, rather than winding down into survival horror with them.
Word. I can't wait for people to complain when The Walking Dead isn't just about humans being killed by and killing zombies, but about humans in conflict with each other.

If you seriously can't see how these third acts are just extensions of the rest of their films, you're not paying attention.

ezekial45

Banned
Veidt said:
Same reason why I decided to not post the images in said link.
Man, this looks phenomenal.

Yeah, it does. I'd love to read it again after the movie comes out. Without the censorship, hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom