• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Pranger, Out-Spoken Nintendo Treehouse Localizer, was Fired

Sandfox

They are completely in the legal right to do what they did. I just believe that Nintendo could have been different and more creative with the punishment since they are a brand that is family friendly. They could have done a lot of PR to set a very easy tone, even if they said it was a one time deal, to allow a person to make a cardinal pr mistake in a time of social media.

There has never been a time in the history of this world where a slip of the tongue or jabbering of the jaws in public can ripple through the world such as it is today. Nintendo could have taken the time to remind us that while it is serious business to keep NDAs they wouldn't cripple an employee and possibly his family without reminding all of their employees and gamers who read about Nintendo adults and children alike that people make mistakes and they actually cared about the employees future. It would have been a good lesson for the millennials and a reality check for us neckbeards.

As it stands, they just showed us the cold reality of the corporate world. I completely understand the outcome though. Can you imagine what the press would have been like in that rose tinted scenario I described?
Wouldn't giving one guy special treatment just make other employees expect the same treatment? Also, I doubt any PR would come out of a guy not getting fired since you wouldn't see either side talking about it.

Here is an excerpt from a relatively weak NDA:

Injunctive Relief. The Receiving Party acknowledges that it will be impossible to measure in money the damage to the Disclosing Party caused by the Receiving Party’s failure to comply with, or any breach of, the material terms, promises, agreements, and conditions of this Agreement, and that such failure or breach will result in irreparable and continuing damage to the Disclosing Party, and that in the event of any such failure or breach, the Disclosing Party will not have an adequate remedy at law or in damages. Therefore, the Receiving Party hereby consents to the issuance of an injunction, a decree for specific performance, and/or the enforcement of other equitable remedies against it by the Disclosing Party (including monetary damages if appropriate), without bond or other security, to compel the performance of all of the material terms of this Agreement, and hereby waives the defense of the availability of adequate relief in damages.
I bolded some parts to make it easier to parse, but this says that in the event of a breach, you are doing irreparable damage to the Disclosing Party, and they can issue an injunction to have you stop what you are doing, as well as pursue monetary reparations.

I guarantee you Nintendo's NDA is stronger than this, too.

Cheerilee

I think it will be really difficult for him to get a job in same field. Employer will need to think twice before hiring someone that was laid off because of breaking NDA.

They'll also think twice about hiring someone who cries on Facebook after getting fired, stirring their customer into saying "Hey Nintendo, why you gotta be so mean?"

All of his Future Employers know full well that they're going to be his Former Employers sooner or later, and it's not good to know that if you quietly fire him, he's going to make it loud.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
One of the problems with US society is that "consequences" take precedence over growth. That's a bad thing. Someone who learns from a mistake becomes a better employee, someone that can help prevent the same incident from happening again. Fire someone, you lose all their skills, experience, and incur the costs of training someone new ... but, it's more expedient and take less effort, time, and empathy.

It's not like he killed someone, cost the company money, or damaged the brand.

In a Technopoly like the U.S., human beings are as expendable and interchangeable as defective parts, true. However I would surmise this to be more a case of discipline being leveraged to make an example in order to prevent similar transgressions from others.

I would hope he could actually find an environment with a more open PR stance, where, after some time, he would come to realize he is actually a better fit.

He's got Dan Adelman's support.

ash321

They are completely in the legal right to do what they did. I just believe that Nintendo could have been different and more creative with the punishment since they are a brand that is family friendly. They could have done a lot of PR to set a very easy tone, even if they said it was a one time deal, to allow a person to make a cardinal pr mistake in a time of social media.

There has never been a time in the history of this world where a slip of the tongue or jabbering of the jaws in public can ripple through the world such as it is today. Nintendo could have taken the time to remind us that while it is serious business to keep NDAs they wouldn't cripple an employee and possibly his family without reminding all of their employees and gamers who read about Nintendo adults and children alike that people make mistakes and they actually cared about the employees future. It would have been a good lesson for the millennials and a reality check for us neckbeards.

As it stands, they just showed us the cold reality of the corporate world. I completely understand the outcome though. Can you imagine what the press would have been like in that rose tinted scenario I described?

Dude, If they save him. Who gonna save them ? Investor, 3rd party, translate job,... who gonna help them with all of that.

And also. They left him go in silence, they don't make a huge announcement that they fired him because of x y z. In retrospect, if he didn't post on Facebook, and he a nice enough guys, maybe he still can go and work in the video game industry. Right now though, he basically have to find another job in another industry.

Bog

Junior Ace
Thought I'd chime in a little here.

When I was running NintendoGal.com, I NEVER asked my husband to come onto the podcast or write an article for me and we're married! They're under NDA to never talk to anyone (unless authorized obviously) because it's considered representing the company. We enjoy the roof over our heads and breaking an NDA of any sort is a good way to jeopardize that.

It frustrates me though that some can't see that he made a bad choice and feel Nintendo is evil in this situation. No, they're following the agreement he entered into with them, in which he has violated the terms.

Can I sympathize? Absolutely! I couldn't imagine losing my job, let alone a dream job.

What is nintendogal.com

SalvaPot

I wonder if he should have at least asked his boss if the podcast was ok to publish as it was, he did reveal a LOT of stuff about the company future and his Sakurai anecdotes sound, well, private. He should have at least showed the podcast to his higher ups and said "Hey, I made this thing, but wanted to be sure it was ok to publish."

If they had say no, he would be able to keep his job, if they had say yes, maybe with a few edits or omissions, he could have opened the doors for more Nintendo employees to come out and talk to the public about games.

I feel bad for Chris, his podcast appearance was really interesting, but his actions were naive and if he infringed his contract... then its all on him.

They'll also think twice about hiring someone who cries on Facebook after getting fired, stirring their customer into saying "Hey Nintendo, why you gotta be so mean?"

All of his Future Employers know full well that they're going to be his Former Employers sooner or later, and it's not good to know that if you quietly fire him, he's going to make it loud.

Yep, going puplic again(!) with his facebook post was even worse than the initial podcast.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Call me a heartless bastard, but I'm finding it hard to feel sympathetic towards a guy who breaches an NDA, pays the price, and then posts about it on both Facebook and Twitter.

CHC

Call me a heartless bastard, but I'm finding it hard to feel sympathetic towards a guy who breaches an NDA, pays the price, and then posts about it on both Facebook and Twitter.

You're not, I'd say at least half the thread agrees (to varying degrees).

It's terrible to be let go from a job, but it's a personal and professional matter, Facebook should not be your first stop after getting the news.

What is nintendogal.com

Well it forwards to another site now for other reasons, but it used to be a Nintendo news site that I own. Started around 2005 or 2006 or something. I don't remember. I got tired of dealing with the run around from GH, so I just closed up shop.

Edit - Sorry, it's just Golin now apparently. :p

You're not, I'd say at least half the thread agrees (to varying degrees).

It's terrible to be let go from a job, but it's a personal and professional matter, Facebook should not be your first stop after getting the news.
There was certainly an element of lack of prudence when he decided to speak so openly about the inner goings on at Ninty for sure

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I agree, but at the same time I find it easy to feel sympathetic to a guy who was obviously very passionate about his work and also has a family to support.

He made a mistake and paid for it. I just hope he can learn from it and move forward without too much damage done to his livelihood.

balohna

If you value your job in the game industry, don't make public comments about your employer without being asked to by your employer. Pretty basic stuff.

I do feel bad for the guy, though. I know the temptation.

Dryk

Everyone in business and politics is so fucking afraid to be candid, I don't know how I'm ever going to make it in life.

I feel bad for the dude and sympathize with him worrying about his livelihood... But, like, how do you work at NOA and not realize speaking out without permission like that will end badly? Just from following news, it's obvious to me that NOA highly values being a tight ship.

pvpness

Everyone in business and politics is so fucking afraid to be candid, I don't know how I'm ever going to make it in life.

Not by being candid if it makes the entity you represent look bad in any perceivable way. They're afraid with reason. They should be.

CTLance

Man, that Facebook post is heartbreaking (to the point of concerning). Hope the guy manages to land on his feet, preferably in a position where he can still somewhat stay in touch with his initial Nintendo-related goals.

Having only listened to the first ten minutes of the podcast previously, I just went back and listened to the whole thing... and while Pranger's comments about Sakurai being a workaholic are certainly a bit much, particularly where Japanese culture is concerned, it's just a painful listen.

At one point, they joke about his newfound "job security" since he's doing a couple voices in Starfox Zero. Pranger even mentions how NoA's media policy had recently been relaxed a bit, hence his ease in discussing so much perhaps?

Whatever the case may be with the policy, the guy's love for his work, and for Nintendo just comes through in every story, every game he talks about.

This is unfortunate... all around.

Vena

I mean, bad PR and presentation to the public can sink a company. There's a reason companies are protective of their images and, unlike you or me who are individuals, a company has many employees and has to set down rules to try and be "safe" for its own sake as well the sake of all its employees.

Treehouse guys are, in general, candid people in their appearances (go watch them when they really get heated in their games, lol) or with their own lives/twitters, but they won't talk about the company or competition in a negative (or even, really, positive) light on their own time. Treehouse runs YouTube at this point for Nintendo of America (and have roles tied closely to NCL), you'd think someone working at Treehouse would be aware of what their position is even from a simple "face of the company to many people" position. That's not even getting into NDA issues.

Heck, how many other big shots in AAA-gaming do you know of who go to local smash events to play with the players?

Grimalkin

Speaking strictly for the corporate world, and AAA gaming is definitely a part of the corporate world:

You will learn to "play the game" or you won't advance. You will learn to assimilate, you will learn to fall in line, or you won't be successful.

The employees who are "candid" are disliked because they act like they are some great truth-teller, like most of the other people in the room doesn't know the exact same fucking thing but have the sense to keep their mouths shut (at least around the bosses).

Alternatively, you can try to run your own business or not work in a corporate environment.

Back on topic, there is no way this guy didn't know about the NDA. It's a huge form you have to sign (typically on every page) that is separate from all of your other HR paperwork.

Every AAA game company has another rider specifically for social media policies, which podcasts fall under. Game devs at AAA companies have to undergo media training to even be allowed to post on the official game forums. Rule #1 is pretty much always "DO NOT GO OFF SCRIPT. DO NOT BADMOUTH THE COMPANY, OUR PARTNERS, OR PLAYERS." Yes, often times in all caps. :p

Vena

Yep. I still like Edelman, but not really surprising.

I mean, we got a lot of weird mixed messages from his departure. First it was about how backwards NoA's indie stuff was and the state of the eShop (which were true, to a comical degree even) and he did a lot to turn it around but the system was still in a big rut, but then when Baker took over... we got absolutely unprecedented moves at a breakneck speed from NoA on Indies (Nindies, Humble Bundle) and the eShop is a lot more active and promoting of the developers.

So...

Have you listened to the podcast? Because while he may have been a bit more candid than NoA may have liked, he certainly doesn't "badmouth" anyone.

Eh... his stuff on Smash teetered a little close to being a bit negative. Especially about how hard Sakurai is to work with and some of the stuff he said about Melee.

Justified

Have you listened to the podcast? Because while he may have been a bit more candid than NoA may have liked, he certainly doesn't "badmouth" anyone.

Look at this statement he made:

And we’ll be like “Yeah, we do want money, which is why we know it’s a colossal waste if we ever try to localize that in this current market, because look at you people. You don’t make up a big enough group.

That is bad mouthing a group of Nintendo's customers, with him (without sanction) speaking for Nintendo. Notice the "we's" in his statement

rhandino

Banned
Of course, nobody saw this one comi- Oh! He is also quoting that Kotaku article...

EEKR0TL.gif

That is bad mouthing a group of Nintendo's customers, with him (without sanction) speaking for Nintendo. Notice the "we's" in his statement

There's a difference between "bad mouthing" and being honest. Was he entirely too candid calling out the Xenoblade nerds? Certainly. That doesn't change the fact that he's right.

Justified

There's a difference between "bad mouthing" and being honest. Was he entirely too candid calling out the Xenoblade nerds? Certainly. That doesn't change the fact that he's right.

It a difference in saying "In my opinion" and say "We" (as in Nintendo), while being employed there, and not clear by Public Affairs. Right or Wrong

We can argue if it was candid or bad mouthing (I can tell he was just talking hypothetically). The point is that it can be perceived as bad mouthing, and perception is everything

..because look at you people. You don’t make up a big enough group.

That can certainly be heard/read as devaluing a group of the customers

Pagusas

Elden Member

that doesn't matter at all, he was an idiot and said things representing his employer, things that, true or not, were not how Nintendo wanted to present it self.

Aurongel

that doesn't matter at all, he was an idiot and said things representing his employer, things that, true or not, were not how Nintendo wanted to present it self.
This.

If I spat "the truth" about my company, I'd be dealt with similarly. His punishment was both predictable and preventable.

He was presenting his opinions, not facts. A random loc guy is not privy to that kind of info
He went on record using his own name and is representative in Nintendo in the same way we all are for our employers.

Top Bottom