• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Pranger, Out-Spoken Nintendo Treehouse Localizer, was Fired

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I like this post. Well said.

I guess, for me, when it comes to responding to something and adding some text into the whole of the internet, I just feel it is more useful to express sympathy for the mistake than my confirmation and/or judgment of it. The natural consequences are clearly steep enough for the guy. What if he reads GAF?

That facebook post was a little over dramatic. He's not the only unemployed person out there in debt and with bills to pay. The fact that he throws out a specific $ amount almost makes it seem like he's fishing for a funding campaign. I know it sucks that he lost his job and he's probably going through a whirlwind of emotions, but yeesh. People should really think twice before making every single thought they have public.

Haines

Banned
I read his sob story fb post at an attempt to cash in on the internet craze of helping people out in bad situations. But I'm probably going to be told I'm way too cynical to which could very well be true as I don't know the guy.

Either way he should have showed a very high level of professionalism when working for such a profound company to which he did not in this case

Live and learn

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nothing wrong with hiring enthusiastic employees. He just made a costly error in judgment sadly.

Also the game industry is full of them. Where do you think these companies are recruiting from? Non gaming fans?

There's nothing wrong with having fanboys. Problem is that Chris has an identity issue. Without Nintendo he feels no self worth.

He would probably identify himself as "Nintendo Employee Chris Pranger" and not "Chris Pranger, Nintendo Employee".

Aroll

Nothing wrong with hiring enthusiastic employees. He just made a costly error in judgment sadly.

Also the game industry is full of them. Where do you think these companies are recruiting from? Non gaming fans?

Nothing wrong with hiring fans. Some of your most dedicated employees are also your companie's biggest fans.

Chris being a Nintendo fan really had nothing to do with it. His inability to separate being a gamer who wants to talk about stuff he knows about his favorite company with everyone and actually being an employee of that company is the difference.

Even fans know that when you work for the company, unless you are told to, you can't be running around speaking about the company - especially in any context that is negative. If all Chris did was say things like "how much he loves his job, how well Nintendo takes care of him (without giving salary particulars), how fun it is to localize games (and give one example of a game he worked on)" He would have been left alone with just a warning I am guessing. Still breakign NDA, but it was all positive. The moment you bring negative... yeah, that's not a warning anymore.

Most employees can separate their fandom and wanting to talk about it all the time from their job. Chris didn't.

Calamari41

41 > 38
That facebook post was a little over dramatic. He's not the only unemployed person out there in debt and with bills to pay. The fact that he throws out a specific $ amount almost makes it seem like he's fishing for a funding campaign. I know it sucks that he lost his job and he's probably going through a whirlwind of emotions, but yeesh. People should really think twice before making every single thought they have public.

I thought the same thing, honestly. It reeks the same way the seemingly regular "Oh man I have six dollars to my name and all of these bills to pay, maybe I'll kill myself. Paypal info attached" GAF threads reek.

Gabe3208

Banned
I'm now listening to the podcast and I don't feel sorry for this guy one bit. Everytime he says things, I'm like "WTF, why would you think that this is ok KNOWING how secretive Nintendo is with their shit", yea he doesn't leak anything game-wise we don't already know, but he's talking about what goes on inside Nintendo, and that to me just seems weird since we NEVER hear about "Sakurai being pissed that a commercial isn't made a certain way." I'm sure they didn't want consumers to hear that Sakurai goes to sleep at night crying, lol.

He's an idiot, and that's what he gets, simple!

EDIT:
Oh god, he just said "I'm not supposed to say anything nice about our competitors." LOL

I really don't have any sympathy for the guy. He knows the NDA and he broke it. This is supposedly not his first time doing this type of stuff, and he sounded arrogant.

Cleve

Hopefully he will be able to get a job with MS or Sony or another games publisher / developer.

He proved that he does not respect NDAs or corporate culture, and openly whined about his termination in a pubic social media profile.

Sony or MS won't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

Still, I hope he does find a new job soon and is able to direct his obvious passion in a new area.

UCBooties

I guess, for me, when it comes to responding to something and adding some text into the whole of the internet, I just feel it is more useful to express sympathy for the mistake than my confirmation and/or judgment of it. The natural consequences are clearly steep enough for the guy. What if he reads GAF?

If he reads GAF then this is going to be a difficult thread for him. However, there are a number of people here laying out exactly why this occurred and how his actions reflect on him both professionally and in the community. If he is reading this thread then I hope he is confronting some difficult truths about himself and his conduct and that it will lead to self examination that helps him grow in the future.

Honestly, the opportunity to face real criticism and grow from it is a lot more valuable than sympathy.

The human side of me feels a bit bad for this guy. Hope he lands on his feet soon.

However, the more rational/logical side of me thinks this guy has made a string of bad decisions throughout his life, culminating with this ill-advised podcast appearance. He should really surround himself by good people and follow their life advice.

I'm not speaking as a video game fan, but as someone who's been working for a long time now. Nintendo is within their right to terminate him; as others have said, that's almost the "light" punishment since I'm sure they can find cause to go after him in court. NDAs are in place for good reasons, and violating the terms of Non Disclosures are really a black and white matter. At least many companies treat it as such, and many provide mandatory (usually yearly, if not more often) employee training on safeguarding information and the consequences of not following those rules.

Lastly, I am kind of baffled at his apparently EXTREME emotional attachment to a for-profit company. Building your whole life identity around a company is at best a fool's errand, and at worst... yikes, I don't even know.

I hope he learns from this experience. Good luck to him in his future endeavors.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Honestly, the opportunity to face real criticism and grow from it is a lot more valuable than sympathy.

I know people believe that about their individual posts and tweets, but when taken as a whole I see very few cases where someone welcomes the ability to research all the permutations of their PR fuckup. Companies maybe, but not individuals. It's always a flood of derision from their viewpoint.

For us, I fear there is an element to all these things that is analogous to a squad of anonymous people ever-ready to rush in and dance upon whomever's grave.

BigFwoosh

17 minutes in and... wow. You just have to realize that when you go on a podcast you represent the company that you work for, and you shouldn't speak negatively about it unless you don't care about your job. Not to mention characterizing fans the way he did. It's just common sense.

BriGuy

He proved that he does not respect NDAs or corporate culture, and openly whined about his termination in a pubic social media profile.

Sony or MS won't touch this guy with a 10 foot pole.

Still, I hope he does find a new job soon and is able to direct his obvious passion in a new area.
His options might be limited to Gamestop cashier for the immediate future, especially after that Facebook post.

But who knows. He knows how to string a sentence together, does well in front of a camera/mic, and undoubtedly has some industry connections. Maybe he was always better suited for being a game journalist, where he can speak more freely?

Aroll

Jesus Christ, man. Calm down.

When you see someone get fired for very obvious reasons, seek pity that gets major media coverage, and then a bunch of people saying Nintendo was wrong without any context (listening to the podcast) - it can be frustrating.

I know, tis the internet. Not like I'm dwelling on this all day. ;)

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
When you see someone get fired for very obvious reasons, seek pity that gets major media coverage, and then a bunch of people saying Nintendo was wrong without any context (listening to the podcast) - it can be frustrating.

I know, tis the internet. Not like I'm dwelling on this all day. ;)

At least the "shame on you GAF for gettign this man fired" fingerwavers gave up quickly.

UCBooties

I know people believe that about their individual posts and tweets, but when taken as a whole I see very few cases where someone welcomes the ability to research all the permutations of their PR fuckup. Companies maybe, but not individuals. It's always a flood of derision from their viewpoint.

For us, I fear there is an element to all these things that is analogous to a squad of anonymous people ever-ready to rush in and dance upon whomever's grave.

I definitely hear what your saying about the volume of response. No doubt that is overwhelming. In total though, I still think it is more valuable to see where you went wrong and learn from it rather than see people defending you and expressing sympathy. That may feel better but its just going to reinforce the behaviors that got you in trouble in the first place.

jimmypop

Banned
The stakes are high when you have debts and responsibilities. He's learning this the hard way. This was such an egregious violation of the terms of his employment that he had to know he'd be terminated.

And, from what we're hearing now, this was a pattern.

Speaks to the lack of understanding of professionalism with Gen Y.

He should delete all social media and go off the radar for some time if he'd like to have a chance at working in the industry again.

Neff

He should have been fired after the first 15 minutes. After the first 30, you'd think he was someone who left the company already and wanted to crap talk Nintendo and Nintendo's employees and fans (so, he had to make sure he covered all his bases).

It's surreal to listen to, he really doesn't sound like someone who (at the time) worked for Nintendo at all.

As others have suggested though, it seems like he thought his dedication to the company gave him security in some way. He comes across as naive and immature and it's unfortunate, but this will be the wake-up call he needs to grow as a professional. It's just a shame it cost him probably the best job he will ever have and the career opportunities it would have led to.

Really harsh by Nintendo if he really was fired just because of that podcast.

Hopefully he will be able to get a job with MS or Sony or another games publisher / developer.

"So we're working on this secret Demon's Souls PS4 localisation, and Shu is freaking out, throwing Moves and Eyetoys at us, shouting (adopts stereotypical asian accent) 'WHY YOU NO FINISH GAME YET...' And House, who hates Cerny by the way- Oh, I've got a call from him now, I wonder what he wants?"

Any games company he submits his CV to and is aware of this situation (and he made a bad, public situation even worse with his Facebook post), would be fearing the same right now, rationally or not. Drama happens in every company, and they want to keep it a secret. Even if he has learned his lesson (and I'm sure he has), it'll probably be a year or so before he can land another job in gaming.

ConceptX

I wish the guy the best and hope he learns from this going forward.

But, he broke the rules and suffered, rightly, for it.

This would happen at any medium-large company, it's very basic do's and do not's and commonplace.

Depending on the industry and/or size of the company, this could of been a disciplinary rather than straight termination, but I don't feel that this is unfair or unjust.

Gleethor

I can't believe this is still a discussion. I used to work for a company (not Japanese, not gaming, for what either is worth) whose CEO gleefully recounted tales of going through the hallways and asking people what they were working on. When they told him, he'd fire them on the spot for not checking to see whether he had permission to hear about their project. Companies take information policies seriously. It doesn't matter if it's information that's important or if any actual harm occurred, if you're out there talking out of turn then you're a liability.

This is fucked up. I think most people would just assume that the CEO would have permission due to being the fucking CEO, and wouldn't want to question their boss.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Didn't realize how many people were upset by his remarks, when I had read the thread it seemed like an interesting perspective into the company. Sad to see him go, unless you are a pr person jobs are pretty stringent on employees talking openly about what happens on the backbone, as obvious as the remarks he made.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This is fucked up. I think most people would just assume that the CEO would have permission due to being the fucking CEO, and wouldn't want to question their boss.

Especially given that everybody in the company knew he was the CEO. It wasn't like he was a faceless suit asking questions, when he came by you knew who you were talking to. Even if the story wasn't actually true and was just company apocrypha, it got passed along enough that I heard it from at least three different people and twice in training. It was at the very least what they wanted you to believe about disclosing private company matters to anybody.

Meffer

Having found out he breached contract, why do it? He explained the whole Xenoblade thing fine and why it NoA relation to it and I think he shouldn't get crap from that. But the fact that he breached contract by giving that info among other things he mentioned (I think the one with Salkurai was the biggest offender), no wonder they let him go. And then he talked about being fired. That just makes it worse for him!

Calamari41

41 > 38
For those who still don't think the whole loose lips thing is that big of a deal, look at it from this angle of Nintendo's perspective: the guy has probably been playing NX games. If he hasn't been playing them, then he certainly knows about them in detail. The last thing they need is someone in that kind of position going onto podcasts and running his mouth.

When you look at it from that angle, it's not even so much the things he did say. It's the things he might say on the next unsanctioned podcast appearance, especially if he is emboldened by not facing severe backlash from the first outing.

n0razi

"Hey man you violated NDA and breached your contract which normally would lead to instant dismissal buuuuuuut you're such a biiiig fan we've decided to forget this whole thing *tears up contract*"

dont get me wrong, im siding with Nintendo here... im just pointing out the naiveness of "superfans" like him

Risible

I feel really badly for the guy and his family, I truly do. Being out of work suddenly sucks horribly. And the sad fact is it impacts more people than Chris, it affects his wife and kids as well.

That being said, I agree with others saying that it was deserved. His taking his firing to social media shows that he hasn't learned a thing. His post should have been something along the lines of "I screwed up, lost my job, thank you Nintendo for the opportunity, I plan to learn form my mistake."

Instead we get something that feels like a passive-agressive woe is me tale. I don't think it's doing him any favors in the hiring department, personally I would think twice about hiring the dude after all this. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Especially given that everybody in the company knew he was the CEO. It wasn't like he was a faceless suit asking questions, when he came by you knew who you were talking to. Even if the story wasn't actually true and was just company apocrypha, it got passed along enough that I heard it from at least three different people and twice in training. It was at the very least what they wanted you to believe about disclosing private company matters to anybody.

Sounds like one of those made up stories, which probably come from the CEO himself during a presentation/workshop/training etc., to remind everyone of how serious business is.

I can't believe this is still a discussion. I used to work for a company (not Japanese, not gaming, for what either is worth) whose CEO gleefully recounted tales of going through the hallways and asking people what they were working on. When they told him, he'd fire them on the spot for not checking to see whether he had permission to hear about their project. Companies take information policies seriously. It doesn't matter if it's information that's important or if any actual harm occurred, if you're out there talking out of turn then you're a liability.

Seems like a nice way to lose talent and sink your company.

Meier

To some of the posters ripping on him particularly hard: Probably worth keeping in mind that this guy is very likely a member of GAF or at a minimum has been linked to this thread. He's taken his lumps so digging the knife in even more is pretty harsh.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Sounds like one of those made up stories, which probably come from the CEO himself during a presentation/workshop/training etc., to remind everyone of how serious business is.

Not really, as a whole studio out in NY was fired due to what basically was going on strike, then replaced shortly after by HQ overseas.

You would be surprised with how much stupid shit happens in large corporations.

Savitar

To some of the posters ripping on him particularly hard: Probably worth keeping in mind that this guy is very likely a member of GAF or at a minimum has been linked to this thread. He's taken his lumps so digging the knife in even more is pretty harsh.

Are people not suppose to say what they think? There are a lot of people on GAF and when someone screws up they tend to hear about it. Be it relationships, jobs or even family.

The guy screwed up, he has no one to blame but himself. If there is something wrong saying that then it's just messed up.

GamerJM

Banned
For those who still don't think the whole loose lips thing is that big of a deal, look at it from this angle of Nintendo's perspective: the guy has probably been playing NX games. If he hasn't been playing them, then he certainly knows about them in detail. The last thing they need is someone in that kind of position going onto podcasts and running his mouth.

When you look at it from that angle, it's not even so much the things he did say. It's the things he might say on the next unsanctioned podcast appearance, especially if he is emboldened by not facing severe backlash from the first outing.

While I think it's within Nintendo's rights to fire him, I doubt this guy has been playing NX games.

Personally after listening to the podcast, I didn't hear anything worth being fired for. Sure maybe he could have been put on a course of corrective action but getting fired was overkill. It seems as though it got attention from a minority group of Nintendo fans that didn't like what they heard and maybe these same fans pushed it into the limelight so that higher ups at Nintendo would take notice. I mean if you listen to the whole thing it wasn't like this guy was being malicious. I wouldn't be surprised if most just saw the one or two paraphrased quotes without listening to the whole thing.

Joni

He was simply not in a position to make such statements. You don't make on the record statements like that without approval and expect to keep your job.

test_account

XP-39C²
Blaming GAF for this is insane. Lobbing threats and stuff is despicable, but that thread was a bunch of people rightfully disagreeing (and a lot of people agreeing). Even if Nintendo fired him for saying things people disagreed with (they didn't, he broke ndas I'm sure), it's an insane position to think people shouldn't disagree with people for fear they get fired. That's even crazier and more risk averse than Nintendo.
I also think its funny that people who are a member of GAF simply are blaming GAF. Then they are blaming themself too.

Top Bottom