• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christian School Forces Student to Leave After Learning of Web Site He Created

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three weeks ago an 18-year-old honor student at Trinity Christian Academy was cruising toward graduation. He had already been accepted to a prestigious university, and the final months of high school seemed a mere formality.

He was a varsity athlete and a winner of service and citizenship awards at the fundamentalist private school in Addison. He was active in the school theater, was a yearbook editor and helped younger students with Bible study.

Trinity Christian was his second family, the student said, and by every indication he was one of the school's favorite sons.

But when the school's top administrators learned that the student had created a Web site where teens chat about homosexuality, he said they gave him a choice: either leave quietly or face expulsion for "immoral behavior," which is prohibited by the school's code of conduct.

In a matter of days, the student, who is gay, went from prized student to sinner outcast.

Today, the student attends high school in Plano, and students, teachers and administrators at Trinity Christian are left debating whether forcing the withdrawal of a popular lifelong student was the "Christian" thing to do. The case also shines a light on the moral culture clash with which private fundamentalist schools are increasingly wrestling.

"I feel completely violated," said the student, who had attended Trinity Christian since kindergarten. "The big lesson here for me is that you can't really trust anybody. That, and I should have kept my mouth shut."

Initially, the student, who is legally an adult, gave The News an on-the-record interview regarding the case. Later, after telling his parents about the interview, he asked that The News not publish his name. The student's parents declined to comment.

Headmaster's statement

Trinity Christian administrators would not talk specifically about the case. Headmaster David Delph issued a general statement about the school's discipline policy.

"As a community of Christian families we also believe the Bible provides insight to help us discern God's desire for our conduct," the statement reads in part. "Therefore we demand high Biblical standards of behavior from our students both academically and socially. Our families are asked to embrace these standards of conduct by signing a covenant with the school when students are admitted. Within this framework of Biblical standards and academic rigor, an atmosphere of enhanced learning, character development, and love are allowed to flourish."

John Craig, regional director for the Association of Christian Schools International, said honor codes at Christian schools play a critical role in establishing a school's culture.

"A school has the right and responsibility to fulfill its mission, and that may involve rules that not everybody is going to agree with," said Mr. Craig, who is based in Dallas. "But the honor code makes it clear so there can be no misunderstanding: Here's who we are, here's what we're about, and here's what we're trying to accomplish with our students."

Legally there is no middle ground: As a private religious school, Trinity Christian was well within its rights to force the student's withdrawal, said Brian Chase, a lawyer with the Dallas office of the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, which advocates for gay rights. Also, Texas has no law prohibiting discrimination against someone based on sexual orientation.

It all started, when a young gay personal site decided to start charging for their service. He knew this would hurt the anonymity usually provided. “You have me and 50,000 other gay teens out there, who don’t want their parents to know anything is up and a credit card statement saying XY.com Magazine would be a little obvious.” He knew this would make people less likely to use the site. “When they released this greed campaign I said this isn’t right, kids who struggle with this and need some kind of help won’t pay money.”

Being able to talk to other gay teens on-line had provided James with support when he was questioning. “The site to me meant a great deal, as it had probably saved my life; it gave me people who were going through the same thing and we could talk. I could finally come out of my shell. So I created a free service that would give teens an outlet; stray away from drugs, suicide, alcoholism, etc.”

So with the best of intentions James, a talented web programmer, started My-Boi.com. It went off well, and three months later he had over fifteen-hundred members. “I have personally received countless e-mails from teenagers who are experiencing what I was nine months ago, and say that this site helped!” Three months later, things changed.

A snoopy kid at school told several heads in the administration that James was gay and ran a gay-themed website. He was called into the office and grilled about the site and his sexual orientation. After the discussion James asked the principle repeatedly not to inform his parents. “I again emphasized and I explicitly said, 'I am 18, I reserve the right for my parents not to know and I do not want them involved.'”

What happens next?

“The first people I see to walk in the door are my mother and my father. This is where I bury my head in my hands and don’t really know what to do, how to respond – I for the first time in my life have never felt that betrayed and first time I’ve ever been speechless.” The principle took it upon himself to out his student. “They tell my parents “I am struggling with homosexuality.” My mother broke down in tears, my dad wasn’t particularly thrilled…”
pfft the mainstream media takes like a week to cover this material after it's been exposed. Even though it's a private school, it's also a good reminder of who we're dealing with.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/122104dnmettrinitygay.1402e.html
http://www.notgeniuses.com/archives/002056.html#more

DJ Sl4m

So much for turning the other cheek, or devoting any time into brainwashing..... er, I mean converting his beliefs.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Today, the student attends high school in Plano, and students, teachers and administrators at Trinity Christian are left debating whether forcing the withdrawal of a popular lifelong student was the "Christian" thing to do

The question that will plague the Church for years to come, and the question we'll ask of those leaders in more accepting times. Following the letter of the teachings doesn't make you more Christian, understanding - comprehending - and working towards the spirit is what matters.

belgurdo

Banned
Texas
rolleyes.gif

Zilch

Banned
Today, the student attends high school in Plano, and students, teachers and administrators at Trinity Christian are left debating whether forcing the withdrawal of a popular lifelong student was the "Christian" thing to do.

Hint: It wasn't.

Wow I had a lot of friends that went to that school last year (Trinity Christian Academy). I live about 10 minutes from the school.

Stupid, stupid, stupid decision.

Monk

Banned
Expulsion? Why so severe? He is only talking about it which isn't a sin in the bible as far as i know, it isn't like he was doing it in the middle of the school in front of everyone.

DJ Sl4m

Monk said:
Expulsion? Why so severe? He is only talking about it which isn't a sin in the bible as far as i know, it isn't like he was doing it in the middle of the school in front of everyone.

Even if it's considered a sin by their standards, they have a living breathing human being at their school under their leadership and control and they give up ?

I thought the church was to help people in need, it's obvious he was struggling, the entire site was devoted to the hardships of dealing with it all.

The church is supposed to be there for that type of help, yet in this case decided to push him away, that's not looked upon anymore kindly under the bibles standards.

Zaptruder

Banned
Heh. Sucks for that kid.

And the school administrators brought this kind of negative attention upon themselves by their ass backwards policies and insensitive way of dealing with these things.

I'd be good if that principle was fired as well... very unimpessed, going by what was said in that last paragraph.

Monk

Banned
Yes, but he may have declined that help. I don't know exactly what happened in that "grilling".

But even then it is just talk. Unless he admitted on that site that he did do something and even then it is stretching it. Christian fundamentalist is like a pharisees, they make up their own rules.

olimario

Banned
This makes me sick. He can't help if he's gay, but he can obviously help if he acts on it.
And even if he did, thats a sin just like cussing is a sin. Just like punching somebody is a sin. And EVERYBODY sins.

He sounds like a real class act and the school should be shut down. Horrible.

DJ Sl4m

Monk said:
Yes, but he may have declined that help. I don't know exactly what happened in that "grilling".

But even then it is just talk. Unless he admitted on that site that he did do something and even then it is stretching it. Christian fundamentalist is like a pharisees, they make up their own rules.

Yep, it's sad but true. Most religeous announced people really are hypocrites.

Monk

Banned
DJ Sl4m said:
Yep, it's sad but true. Most religeous announced people really are hypocrites.

Yes, I agree. I see so many christian hypocrites everywhere. But the lack of forgiveness is very non christian, it isn't something I like to hear very high up the ladder.

GG-Duo

DJ Sl4m said:
Even if it's considered a sin by their standards, they have a living breathing human being at their school under their leadership and control and they give up ?

I thought the church was to help people in need, it's obvious he was struggling, the entire site was devoted to the hardships of dealing with it all.

The church is supposed to be there for that type of help, yet in this case decided to push him away, that's not looked upon anymore kindly under the bibles standards.

Good post.

I think it's important to not become so divided and hate-filled during this time. In this case, I think Christians and non-Christians alike can point out that the school's reaction was too severe.

Phoenix

DJ Sl4m said:

A school != the church.

DJ Sl4m

Phoenix said:
A school != the church.

True, but a religious school is intertwined with the church.
This news story is about a christian school and their decision. I went to a catholic school before I bailed out on it, as a student it's a requirment to go to the church sessions every so often when school is in.

Basicly the entire set up is focused around the church.

If you've never attended one, I can see why you don't thing they are the same thing, being on the outside looking in is a bit like being in the dark about this church/school set up.

It always struck me strange how some of the absolute meanest people I ever knew were all nuns, LOL.
Those bitches would smack the back of our hands (knuckles) with rulers and crap. :lol

Phoenix

DJ Sl4m said:
True, but a religious school is intertwined with the church.
This news story is about a christian school and their decision. I went to a catholic school before I bailed out on it, as a student it's a requirment to go to the church sessions every so often when school is in.

Basicly the entire set up is focused around the church.

If you've never attended one, I can see why you don't thing they are the same thing, being on the outside looking in is a bit like being in the dark about this church/school set up.

It always struck me strange how some of the absolute meanest people I ever knew were all nuns, LOL.
Those bitches would smack the back of our hands (knuckles) with rulers and crap. :lol

I went to a Catholic school for Elementary, Middle, a Jesuit run high school, and a 'Christian' University. So I've gone to 'religious institutions' my entire life. They aren't the same.

Socreges

Banned
I don't understand. If he's such a staunch Christian, then why would he choose homosexuality? The Bible says it's wrong, and certainly his school wouldn't approve. Seems to me like he would have been better off if he had only picked girls. Big mistake on his part.

Chipopo

Banned
Socreges said:
I don't understand. If he's such a staunch Christian, then why would he choose homosexuality? The Bible says it's wrong, and certainly his school wouldn't approve. Seems to me like he would have been better off if he had only picked girls. Big mistake on his part.

This is why C-Bake is popular even *WITHOUT* an avatar.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Socreges said:

um... its not really a choice..

Mason

Damn, they're even posting the poor kid's picture on one of the sites linked in the first post. This is so horrible, I can't even begin to imagine what he's going through right now.

And not to make light of the situation, but I do have to say, he's really cute.

XS+

Banned
Phoenix said:
I went to a Catholic school for Elementary, Middle, a Jesuit run high school, and a 'Christian' University. So I've gone to 'religious institutions' my entire life. They aren't the same.

It all makes sense now.

Tarazet

I went to Oberlin for a year (it was too expensive for me to continue, plus I couldn't get into the major I wanted). I put on the application that I was a gay furry, because I had heard about the school's reputation, and I'm pretty sure that's the only reason I was accepted.

Ugh, horrible, makes me quite sick to my stomach reading about such things. But even so, it's really interesting to read what others around my age go through. I'm only one person and my own experiencing are just one side of things, I do want to know what other situations others get through and how they deal with them. You can learn a lot really, heh. But anywho, I would expect no less from the state of Texas and its residents.

Oh as someone mentioned earlier, yes he is quite cute. :D

Mason said:
Damn, they're even posting the poor kid's picture on one of the sites linked in the first post. This is so horrible, I can't even begin to imagine what he's going through right now.

And not to make light of the situation, but I do have to say, he's really cute.

From what I understand, he has been blogging on dailykos. I'd guess he's in their little blogging community and aired his complaints with them.

adam20

Crow357 said:
Christians are supposed to "hate the sin, love the sinner". Sadly, this doesn't always happen.

it never happens. And the reality is so called ''christians'' dont even practice the morals they supposedly learn. I see many arrogant christians. Just like I see many arrogant jewish people and etc. Religeon is just a safety net people can rely on. "I can be an ass since im christian, lets descriminate against others!"

Socreges

Banned
adam20 said:
it never happens. And the reality is so called ''christians'' dont even practice the morals they supposedly learn. I see many arrogant christians. Just like I see many arrogant jewish people and etc. Religeon is just a safety net people can rely on. "I can be an ass since im christian, lets descriminate against others!"
WORMS. EVERYWHERE.

Hm, I've got to go grocery shopping. I'll see you boys on page 5!

I thought I would interject here, since I know both "good Christians" and "bad Christians", and have an example which shows both, and is a similar story to the above in a way.

I know a guy who is very religious, active in his church, but also very outspoken. He was on some kind of board at the church, and complained when the church refused to donate money to the local soup kitchen. The church's excuse? "We need all the money to save up for the $250,000 church we're going to build." He suggested that they build a less expensive church and give the rest of the money to the needy, since God would not care where they worshipped. Soon after, he was asked to leave the church for being a disruptive influence.

Phoenix said:

I have a friend that did exactly that, and he's a atheist just like me! :lol I only went through elementary and Jesuit highschool, but he did the whole damn thing like you did. Ah... St.Xavier high.... You took the best years of my life away, WITHOUT ANY DAMN GIRLS TO LOOK AT DURING CLASSES!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Crow357 said:
Christians are supposed to "hate the sin, love the sinner". Sadly, this doesn't always happen.
I don't want to get into debate regarding biblical interpretation and whether homosexuality is a sin or not, but I will try to explain why the school did this given that their position is that it is sinful.

Christians are to show love to sinners yet maintain their position against sin. For some people, they place part of their identity in their sin (i.e. homosexuals) and this causes a difficult situation as it is. However, within the fellowship of the Church (which is not a building but the people) there is to be a clear example set.

If anyone claims to follow the Lord but then lives in sin and is unrepentant, then their lives state a false witness regarding God's position of those sins, and so they must be expelled from the followship to maintain the message of God's word. It also needs to be done so they clearly recognize God is not pleased with them in their unrepentance (if you love someone you don't tell them it's ok to jump of a cliff). This is shown in 1 Corinthians 5 in the situation of a man who was sleeping with his mother in law.

1 Corinthians 5
1It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father's wife. 2And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this? 3Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature[a] may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.
6Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough? 7Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast–as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth.
9I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people– 10not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.
12What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you.”

There are also passages talking about having no part with false teachers, those who--as an active representative of Christ--actively teach others to accept things in things that are contrary to scripture, which this kid most-likely was doing with his website regarding the acceptability of homosexuality. Now I think the school should have followed some guidelines similar to those taught in Matthew 18:15-20 before they gave him the boot, but otherwise their actions were scriptural.

Christians are to call those outside the church away from their sins and unto Christ, to help each other in their struggles with sin, and to the unrepentant who claim Christ's name make a clear declaration of their falsehood. This is exactly what Christ did, just look at His actions towards the lost, towards the believers and then towards the pharisees (who claimed to follow God and did not truly). You can also look at how the apostles delt with different groups by reading their espistles.

With all this said, do I think this kid got more against him because he was homosexual rather than going out drinking on the weekends? yes. Is that wrong and shouldn't the school have equal enforcement against all sins? yes. But then the moralism of our culture is something I have problems with beyond issues anyhow (example: biblically smoking, drinking and cussing are not in and of themselves sinful, yet they are taken to be because they can be if practiced improperly).

Cool

This is absolutely obsurd. I am annoyed by so-called "Christians" as described above. You know? The ones who are nosy and looking to make other "sinners" look bad. I'm sure the principal got the utmost of a thrill by telling that kid's parents he was gay. I grew up/live in a home with a very conservative Christian mother and I know if I told her I was gay (if I was) how tough it would be to deal with and like the principal just didn't care. It's such a shame. They act as though he chose the lifestyle but this kid sounded like he was an all around good guy and they didn't even care to help him while he already probably felt bad enough growing up being told that it is wrong and having that jammed down his throat. He obviously needed that site as an outlet. Also, I'm sure the asshole that reported him for having the site felt so damn great about it like he was doing "God's work" yet getting a sick thrill out of ruining someone else's life.

I could go on for hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom