• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity [OT] The Word became flesh and dwelt among us

appaws

Banned
This is just stupid. It’s so sad to me that most people in Christian faiths believe that human beings can’t be moral without a totalitarian overwatch and impending judgement/hellfire. It’s immoral to perpetuate this idea. I guess that’s why so many converts are people that have backed themselves into irrevocable moral positions, and so many in the faith use it for their own deviancy and they will always be forgiven.

Nobody said that they can't act morally. But the point is that their (at least westerners) whole moral existence is resting on Christian foundations, whether they realize it or not. They are running on the fumes of the Christian past.

Nothing is "always forgiven." Christ said "Go and sin no more." Forgiveness comes only with the intent to stop sinning.

VAL0R

Banned
Guys, can we stop feeding Sax questions? He's borderline trolling with his spammy, poorly thought out posts that are full of straw men and irrationality. The guy is a dictionary definition kook. His laughable self-made "Black Israelite" inspired religion is as embarrassingly naive as is his Flat Earther-esque denials of basic modern science.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The loose media quotes of Francis left a bad taste in my mouth. Let's clear that out with some Cardinal Sarah.

Deprived of the light of God, Western society no longer knows how to respect its elderly, accompany unto death its sick, make room for the poorest and the weakest.

Society is abandoned to the darkness of fear, sadness and isolation. She has nothing to offer but emptiness and nothingness. It allows the proliferation of the maddest ideologies.

A Western society without God can become the cradle of an ethical and moral terrorism more virulent and more destructive than Islamist terrorism. Remember that Jesus told us, “And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell” (Matt. 10, 28).

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2018/05/cardinal-sarahs-homily-to-chartres.html

Guys, can we stop feeding Sax questions? He's borderline trolling with his spammy, poorly thought out posts that are full of straw men and irrationality. The guy is a dictionary definition kook. His laughable self-made "Black Israelite" inspired religion is as embarrassingly naive as is his Flat Earther-esque denials of basic modern science.

Keep up with the assumptions. They’re beautiful. Like I said if you wanted a Catholicism OT then that’s what you should have created. I’d like to ask a question about the history of Catholicism though. The invasion of South America. The whole convert or die thing and then destroying the pyramids and building cathedrals in those same spots. Why wasn’t the same thing done to India where they openly worship other gods still to this day?

appaws

Banned

I thought I was doing that with the sede question, but I guess he didn't think so. I want to be nice, I swear...but it is frustrating having a "discussion" with someone who seems to accept every Egyptian mystic kook who ever put pen to papyrus...while rejecting men who walked with Christ or who learned at the feet of those who did, like Irenaeus or Polycarp. Or all the other church fathers. Or even the so-called "reformers," who even in their wildest moments would not have conceived of denying the divinity of Christ.

I have found that anti-Catholicism from most sources relies on straw men most of the time. They attack a parody of the Church that lunatics like Jack Chick have helped spread around, one that bears almost no relationship to reality.

The council itself rejected the writings of men who walked with men who walked with Christ. 🙄 Can you answer the other question I just asked? I wouldn’t be asking questions if I weren’t seeking answers regardless of your assumptions.

appaws

Banned
The council itself rejected the writings of men who walked with men who walked with Christ. 🙄 Can you answer the other question I just asked? I wouldn’t be asking questions if I weren’t seeking answers regardless of your assumptions.

No. I'll leave it for someone else. I'm not well-versed in South American or Indian history.

No, I’m implying that anyone posting in this thread shouldn’t be expected to follow and agree with Catholic doctrine. This whole thing actually got me thinking this morning. Not even counting all of the megachurches, why are there so many churches out there, that probably far outnumber the number of Catholic Churches, that believe in Christ as the son of God yet shun things like saint veneration, rosaries, catechism and many other things that are exclusive to the Catholic Church? You don’t see many people defecting from those churches to the Catholic Church. It seems like it’s the other way around. Even the name Catholic itself. Why would there be a need for there to be a title above Christian?

And that's just in the Americas.

In EU? Church is an endangered species.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Christ flipping over tables would be akin to him tossing up the church gift shop.
No, because those people were acting as a gateway, selling the only sacrifices for the altar, so the faithful were stopped from worshipping God until they paid those people (and at exhorbitant prices), which is why he said they made it “a den of robbers.” The only near equivalent today is in Germany with the tax-tithe situation and some ministers denying communion for those out of compliance. But many of the German bishops have many issues going on with them these days.

Not even counting all of the megachurches, why are there so many churches out there, that probably far outnumber the number of Catholic Churches, that believe in Christ as the son of God yet shun things like saint veneration, rosaries, catechism and many other things that are exclusive to the Catholic Church? You don’t see many people defecting from those churches to the Catholic Church. It seems like it’s the other way around. Even the name Catholic itself. Why would there be a need for there to be a title above Christian?
This is a process that has been taking place for 500 years now since the protestant movement. “Catholic” just means universal, as in, the totality of the Christian Church in unity of faith as the different church traditions founded in different regions when the apostles spread the gospel around the world. For example, while Roman is the biggest one by far, I am in the Ruthenian church which practices the Byzantine tradition, yet we are of one faith and “Big T” Tradition with all Catholicism. It is not that “Catholic” is higher than “Christian” but they are one and the same, and those who take to new innovations are leaving what was considered the only valid definition of Christianity for 1500 years.

This is how Christianity was understood from the beginning, the first 1000 years relatively undisturbed until the schism with the Orthodox, but even then we agreed on nearly everything. Even when the major upheaval of Protestant movement came about, leaders of it, Martin Luther and John Calvin and such, still honored Mary and followed other things modern Protestants throw out. A study of Church history is very important to have a clear perspective.

Last edited:
I’m not selling anything. I use the scriptures for understanding. Canon or “non canon”, the Holy Spirit is who you should lean on for understanding. Not someone that doesn’t even understand that being gay doesn’t come from God.

Airola

You use texts, tell us your interpretations of those texts and listen to Youtube videos where other men tell you their interpretations, and again your interpretations get inspiration from those videos too. How is that different from what the Catholics here have done? You then tell they can't or shouldn't tell what they and their church thinks about this religion, while keeping that right to yourself. How is that fair?

While you tell us that we should let Holy Spirit to make us understand the Bible you don't even notice how that actually means that you don't believe we have leaned to Holy Spirit if we don't understand the Bible the way you say it should be understood.

Dude, I love you as a Christian brother, just as I love the Catholics here too, but this thread - which hopefully would be good for someone who doesn't understand Christianity to get at the very least the basics of what it is all about and why it would be a saving grace to them - is just a step away from being something that likely turns people away instead of pulling them in.

Now, I heavily disagree with anyone who says you should be a Catholic to be a real Christian, so part of this semi-rant goes to that direction too.

We Christians can sometimes be vipers to each other within our community. That's an amazingly sad thing. While I definitely approve debates between different denominations, even more fiery ones, and love to hear your more esoteric beliefs too, there is a line when the debate becomes a tool to divide our own people instead of connecting. Obviously we shouldn't water down the message either just to seem like we are more inclusive, but there is a lot of unnecessary bad blood in this thread and it's not just because of the Catholics telling their things.

highrider

Banned
Nobody said that they can't act morally. But the point is that their (at least westerners) whole moral existence is resting on Christian foundations, whether they realize it or not. They are running on the fumes of the Christian past.

Nothing is "always forgiven." Christ said "Go and sin no more." Forgiveness comes only with the intent to stop sinning.

Yes because humans are unable to distinguish right from wrong on their own. I realize as a Christian you view the world through that lens, but you would be well served to expand your view of morality and human behavior.

You use texts, tell us your interpretations of those texts and listen to Youtube videos where other men tell you their interpretations, and again your interpretations get inspiration from those videos too. How is that different from what the Catholics here have done? You then tell they can't or shouldn't tell what they and their church thinks about this religion, while keeping that right to yourself. How is that fair?

While you tell us that we should let Holy Spirit to make us understand the Bible you don't even notice how that actually means that you don't believe we have leaned to Holy Spirit if we don't understand the Bible the way you say it should be understood.

Dude, I love you as a Christian brother, just as I love the Catholics here too, but this thread - which hopefully would be good for someone who doesn't understand Christianity to get at the very least the basics of what it is all about and why it would be a saving grace to them - is just a step away from being something that likely turns people away instead of pulling them in.

Now, I heavily disagree with anyone who says you should be a Catholic to be a real Christian, so part of this semi-rant goes to that direction too.

We Christians can sometimes be vipers to each other within our community. That's an amazingly sad thing. While I definitely approve debates between different denominations, even more fiery ones, and love to hear your more esoteric beliefs too, there is a line when the debate becomes a tool to divide our own people instead of connecting. Obviously we shouldn't water down the message either just to seem like we are more inclusive, but there is a lot of unnecessary bad blood in this thread and it's not just because of the Catholics telling their things.

Great post. To me being a Christian is believing that God sent His son to die for our sins and trying to live a life worthy of God because we understand the gospel to be true. Although I do watch many YouTube videos and read many non canon scripture, that doesn’t mean I take all understanding and views from them. I separate the wheat from the chaff. I was reading the martyrdom of polycarp earlier and there was a line that said some knew our God to be Zeus or Dis. That’s a HUGE red flag for me but I’d still finish reading it as to get knowledge from that time period.

To take mans understanding alone as gospel I feel would be error. Man is flawed, the Holy Spirit is not. Me and one of my closest family members debate science vs religion all the time as I believe you can’t mix the two. Evolution doesn’t fit scripture so I toss it out. That’s something I would consider the gospel of man Vs what God already left for us as truth.

Some debate that the men of the time didn’t have the knowledge we have today. I argue that’s false as the men of Abraham’s time didn’t have the distractions and illusions we have today. They were far more spiritually connected than we are today as the world was a different place. I’d say that science is part of great delusion as much of it is based on theory instead of truth and it seems to have this effect of leading people away from God rather than toward him. No different than the cell phones we hold in our hands all day every day but at least with these and the age we’re in we can choose to access knowledge and try to piece together and question the past. Without being connected and having the access we do, we’d all probably still believe the narrative that Columbus discovered America and it was all food and merrymaking. By the way I love you guys too. Anyone who seeks the kingdom is at least perhaps on the same path.

appaws

Banned
Yes because humans are unable to distinguish right from wrong on their own. I realize as a Christian you view the world through that lens, but you would be well served to expand your view of morality and human behavior.

I think you miss my point going back to the beginning of this thread. I think humans can distinguish right from wrong because we are created in the image of a loving God, but you are essentially saying there is no right and wrong to distinguish. Fundamentally, an non-theist or naturalist world view carries that within it. I believe right and wrong actually exists, at a fundamental level, you don't. For the non-theist, in addition to the weird idea that something can spontaneously generate itself from nothing, there just is no permanent morality, only temporary expediency. In the end, we are just atoms banging about randomly together, so any moral construct is, by definition, just a transient social necessity and subject to change at human whim.

You think I would be well served to "expand" my view of morality, but why? What you are advocating is, at best, a situational morality, and most often for most human beings, a completely selfish one. I'll pass, thanks. The Lord gives me strength, joy, truth, and real freedom

highrider

Banned
I think you miss my point going back to the beginning of this thread. I think humans can distinguish right from wrong because we are created in the image of a loving God, but you are essentially saying there is no right and wrong to distinguish. Fundamentally, an non-theist or naturalist world view carries that within it. I believe right and wrong actually exists, at a fundamental level, you don't. For the non-theist, in addition to the weird idea that something can spontaneously generate itself from nothing, there just is no permanent morality, only temporary expediency. In the end, we are just atoms banging about randomly together, so any moral construct is, by definition, just a transient social necessity and subject to change at human whim.

You think I would be well served to "expand" my view of morality, but why? What you are advocating is, at best, a situational morality, and most often for most human beings, a completely selfish one. I'll pass, thanks. The Lord gives me strength, joy, truth, and real freedom

Like talking to a brick wall. It’s amazing the hoops religious people jump through to rationalize their myopic viewpoint, which I’m fine with, it’s your life. At least be honest and just say that your morality is superior to anyone else’s because it comes from god.

But it is superior. There is no moral common ground outside of what God has set fourth. That’s why you see a great number of people doing what they want because THEY feel it’s right. The whole “as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else” line is BS because no one looks beyond their own bubble nor do they look forward. I’ve been guilty of this myself in life and once you start to realize how connected your actions are to the world around you and the ripples they cause, you really don’t feel comfortable being part of it. That does come from God. Those who don’t seek or have no connection never truly become aware of that.

TheMikado

Banned
I’m not selling anything. I use the scriptures for understanding. Canon or “non canon”, the Holy Spirit is who you should lean on for understanding. Not someone that doesn’t even understand that being gay doesn’t come from God.

Exodus 4:11

“And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?”
King James Version (KJV)

God himself says he has created imperfect beings with flaws.

Being blind or deaf isn’t a sin. 😩 Saying God makes someone gay would be no different than me saying God made me a fornicator. I’d be lying to myself and to God.

Last edited:

Airola

Some debate that the men of the time didn’t have the knowledge we have today. I argue that’s false as the men of Abraham’s time didn’t have the distractions and illusions we have today. They were far more spiritually connected than we are today as the world was a different place. I’d say that science is part of great delusion as much of it is based on theory instead of truth and it seems to have this effect of leading people away from God rather than toward him. No different than the cell phones we hold in our hands all day every day but at least with these and the age we’re in we can choose to access knowledge and try to piece together and question the past. Without being connected and having the access we do, we’d all probably still believe the narrative that Columbus discovered America and it was all food and merrymaking. By the way I love you guys too. Anyone who seeks the kingdom is at least perhaps on the same path.

I agree on a lot of that.

I thnk that science has brought us lots of disadvantages in a spiritual way, but I don't think the facts science can bring up are wrong.
The problem is that increased knowledge and things becoming easier for us we have become spiritually lazy. When we look at our world now and compare it to what it was I bet most if not all people would think it would be horrible to get back to the world before all the scientific and technological advances. They generally believe people were miserable when they didn't have life as easy as we have now. They might even go and think that what kind of god would even want to make people live in a world like that. But I think they had very much different attitude to life back then. And they had very different understanding of spiritual things. And I think they even were able to understand deep spiritual and philosophical ideas more clearly than we do now.

Scientific and technological advances have made us less willing to think about our relationship with God and at the same time without us much realizing it has created disgusting amount of pollution to the earth and bad health to the people. And now we can't be without it because our civilizations depend on these advances. We wouldn't have as much conveniences and we wouldn't have as much entertainment and we now think life like that wouldn't be worth living. We think we have got electricity under control but I think electricity has sneakingly become our new master.

Dice

Even according to the man, who is the only source, that is not what the Pope said.
Cruz said he told Francis how Chile's bishops used his sexual orientation as a weapon to try to discredit him, and of the pain the personal attacks had caused him.

"He said, 'Look Juan Carlos, the pope loves you this way. God made you like this and he loves you,'" Cruz told The Associated Press.
The Pope could have expressed this in any number of carefully nuanced ways and the man misunderstood. We don’t know because the man is the only source. In the meantime, for what we actually have on record and are able to validate, Francis has always repeated the teaching of the Church when teaching on the subject.

If you are pursuing rumors from those you consider lost in order to discredit Church leaders, how is that “following the Holy Spirit” and not gossip, slander, backbiting, and fruitless argument? Please stop trying to stir up problems.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I’m not the cause of the ills of the Catholic Church. The reason he even had the conversation with brother Francis is because he was molested by another within the church. Just as people need to rid themselves of sin just as scripture says, the church needs to as well. As long as it doesn’t, it’s always going to be a problem. Same could be said for any human being. As long as you keep sinning there’s always going to be a problem. I’ll also say it’s really not only the Catholic Church I have a problem with. Even though the other churches don’t practice things exclusive to the Catholic Church, they still do nonsense things like have singles nights and remarry divorced people.

I agree on a lot of that.

I thnk that science has brought us lots of disadvantages in a spiritual way, but I don't think the facts science can bring up are wrong.
The problem is that increased knowledge and things becoming easier for us we have become spiritually lazy. When we look at our world now and compare it to what it was I bet most if not all people would think it would be horrible to get back to the world before all the scientific and technological advances. They generally believe people were miserable when they didn't have life as easy as we have now. They might even go and think that what kind of god would even want to make people live in a world like that. But I think they had very much different attitude to life back then. And they had very different understanding of spiritual things. And I think they even were able to understand deep spiritual and philosophical ideas more clearly than we do now.

Scientific and technological advances have made us less willing to think about our relationship with God and at the same time without us much realizing it has created disgusting amount of pollution to the earth and bad health to the people. And now we can't be without it because our civilizations depend on these advances. We wouldn't have as much conveniences and we wouldn't have as much entertainment and we now think life like that wouldn't be worth living. We think we have got electricity under control but I think electricity has sneakingly become our new master.

I have a theory about electricity but you’d probably think I was crazy. 😂 I’ll just say lightbulbs were never in the mind of God. They may as well be glass prisons for the unseen made seen again.

Last edited:

Dice

And after a meeting with Pope Francis during that same visit, every single bishop in Chile offered their resignation. You don’t know what is going on, we don’t know what is going on, the failures and personal sins of anyone ought not be publicized into further scandal, and it is the Pope’s job to see it is handled rightly. Today is not the failure of the past, so if nothing new is brought out (with at least 2 or 3 witnesses), we ought not bring what others once did as a charge against what Francis is doing now. Since you will never know what he knows, just as with the President, take care to concern yourself with how you are acting yourself and pray for him to do his job according to God’s will. Gossip, grudges, presumptions and slander do not accomplish any good.

Last edited:

Airola

I have a theory about electricity but you’d probably think I was crazy. 😂 I’ll just say lightbulbs were never in the mind of God. They may as well be glass prisons for the unseen made seen again.

We all have electricity in our brains and going through our bodies. I think electricity has more things going on in it than we realize. I'm not sure if electricity itself is something more or if it is "a place" for something more, or a "vehicle" for something more. And I'm not sure if it's for the good or for the bad or for both, but I think there is something more to it.

But then again I might've watched too much Twin Peaks to come up with all that o_O

If there is one subject for conspiracy theory that would make me go "oh, ok, I'll listen" with actual serious interest to it, it's electricity so I'm all ears if you want to elaborate :D

The scientific explanation would be that we have electricity flowing through our bodies. I’d say it’s the same thing that stars are made of. In my mind they aren’t balls of gas lit up in the sky. They’re spirits. Angels. Perhaps even the children of Wisdom. Ever notice that the stars and the moon give off the same color of light? Electricity is more than likely that same energy harnessed from the unseen here on earth. Shadow turned back into light again. I think if the world understood that the heavens were constantly watching and listening, reporting to God, it’d be a completely different place.

Last edited:
If your brother is caught in sin do you pray about it or try to help your brother? Everyone is praying about it but it seems like no one is actually doing anything. We aren’t here to just pray. How’s it go? Without deeds faith is dead?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Exodus 4:11

“And the LORD said unto him, Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?”
King James Version (KJV)

God himself says he has created imperfect beings with flaws.

The verse is not saying he creates them that way. He's saying he can make (not create) a person blind, dumb or deaf. Moses was not a fluent speaker, God said could change that. The bible doesn't state that being sexually attracted \ attracted to the same sex is a sin. According to the Bible the part that is considered a sin is acting upon those feeling.

I'm not saying I disagree or agree with it, but that's what it shows.

Dice

If your brother is caught in sin do you pray about it or try to help your brother? Everyone is praying about it but it seems like no one is actually doing anything. We aren’t here to just pray. How’s it go? Without deeds faith is dead?
First, he was not caught in anything, a rumor was spread without confirmation. Second, we cannot assume nothing has been done when it is all occurring thousands of miles from us among people we are not directly associating with. Third, scripture says restore them gently (Galatians 6:1-2) and so we must have a mind for how that may look from the outside. Forth, if more strict discipline must occur (as per Mathhew 18), that is for the authorities of the Church to handle, not mob action of public opinion based on rumors.

If there are proofs of everything and nothing is done, yes we can collectively call them to account, but you are not demonstrating due prudence.

Bolivar687

Banned
Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed! | Fr. Z's Blog

A counterbalance on some of the rhetoric about Francis (some of which, again, is hearsay). The title is obviously a reference to Jesuit Father James Martin's book encouraging more LGBT outreach, Building a Bridge.

Apparently Francis recently told a group of Italian Bishops that it's best to refuse admission for seminarians if there's even a hint that they might be struggling with same sex attraction. It's probably sound practice, since nearly all of the priests involved in the American sex abuse crisis were homosexuals and not pedophiles. Admitting so many gay seminarians seems to be a relic of the Sexual Revolution, since almost all of the reported incidents occurred in that time frame, too. Two outliers accounting for almost all of the harm suggests we need to take a good look at the people behind these policies, why they did it, and make sure it does not happen again. The Pope seems to be on the right track.

If only Francis could do away with more of the failed mid century reforms.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
A Eucharistic procession, in Italy on Corpus Christi, I believe.

58c496b3cd7dadf092d6d78499337ded.jpg

TheMikado

Banned
The verse is not saying he creates them that way. He's saying he can make (not create) a person blind, dumb or deaf. Moses was not a fluent speaker, God said could change that. The bible doesn't state that being sexually attracted \ attracted to the same sex is a sin. According to the Bible the part that is considered a sin is acting upon those feeling.

I'm not saying I disagree or agree with it, but that's what it shows.

Maybe I'm not understanding your difference between "create" and "make". God has made people with certain ailments or different biology. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to convey.
I agree with the latter part.

appaws

Banned

Beautiful. One of the things our separated brethren miss, IMO, is the deep and abiding human need for beauty and ritual. It can stir the soul to great heights.

highrider

Banned
But it is superior. There is no moral common ground outside of what God has set fourth. That’s why you see a great number of people doing what they want because THEY feel it’s right. The whole “as long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else” line is BS because no one looks beyond their own bubble nor do they look forward. I’ve been guilty of this myself in life and once you start to realize how connected your actions are to the world around you and the ripples they cause, you really don’t feel comfortable being part of it. That does come from God. Those who don’t seek or have no connection never truly become aware of that.

And coincidentally, you’ve done this 👍

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Maybe I'm not understanding your difference between "create" and "make". God has made people with certain ailments or different biology. Maybe I'm not understanding what you're trying to convey.
I agree with the latter part.

Luke 1:20 - "And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time."

God made Zachariah's speech go away. This is what god meant that he can'e make people deaf, blind or dumb. So, in context, he can make these things happen to people, not that he specifically makes humans with their aliments.

The bible says that Jesus was protected when he was in Mary's womb, which means these things happen through the process of being born.

I’m sorry 😩

The chariots having been produced by such inventors, it was only fitting that they clad their drivers in the colors of idolatry. For at first there were only two colors: white and red. White was sacred to Winter because of the whiteness of its snow; red, to Summer because of the redness of its sun. But afterwards, when both love of pleasure and superstition had grown apace, some dedicated the red to Mars, others the white to the Zephyrs, the green to Mother Earth or Spring, the blue to Sky and Sea or Autumn.

Would any of you read this? Even just for historical purposes. The parallels between the spectacle and the Catholic Church are kinda weird.

http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/LostBooks/tertullian_spectacles.htm

Last edited:

Airola

The scientific explanation would be that we have electricity flowing through our bodies. I’d say it’s the same thing that stars are made of. In my mind they aren’t balls of gas lit up in the sky. They’re spirits. Angels. Perhaps even the children of Wisdom. Ever notice that the stars and the moon give off the same color of light? Electricity is more than likely that same energy harnessed from the unseen here on earth. Shadow turned back into light again. I think if the world understood that the heavens were constantly watching and listening, reporting to God, it’d be a completely different place.

Interesting. I wouldn't say them being "balls of gas" is mutually exclusive with them being angels. If they are spiritual things materialized in physical reality, why not be formed from whatever we now think stars are formed of? I don't think that takes abything away from any possible divinity they might be.

Being “big balls of gas” is nonsense as no one’s ever travelled to a star nor can they so how could they know it’s gas? 😩 I read somewhere in one of these letters today that knowledge of God is greater than worldly knowledge or something to that effect. Science attempts to make the “knowledge” of the world known with zero knowledge of God IMO.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Prayer request: The powers that be at my company will soon reveal my new permanent schedule. Please pray that I will always have the Lord's day (Sunday) off to go to mass with my family. I would appreciate this very much, thanks!

Being “big balls of gas” is nonsense as no one’s ever travelled to a star nor can they so how could they know it’s gas? 😩 I read somewhere in one of these letters today that knowledge of God is greater than worldly knowledge or something to that effect. Science attempts to make the “knowledge” of the world known with zero knowledge of God IMO.

We know what stars are made of because the super k detector in Japan measures solar radiation and neutrinos. You are a Luddite. Why did your god give mankind the intellect and tools to study the natural world if its all just an elaborate ruse?

Last edited:
My God didn’t give us that knowledge. The evil one did. What use do we have of knowledge of a place that won’t exist when God’s kingdom comes nor will anyone care about when we are before God?

Last edited:

Dice

Would any of you read this? Even just for historical purposes. The parallels between the spectacle and the Catholic Church are kinda weird.

http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/LostBooks/tertullian_spectacles.htm
I have read it. He is writing from times when Roman religion was still prominent and people committed idolatry through certain practices. You know who used the colors red and white before any man used them for idolatry? God, when he created them. In the most ancient times, men built altars and offered animal sacrifices to idols. God did not say stop building altars and offering sacrifices, he said to offer them to him. In fact, he gave explicit instructions for very elaborate places to make these sacrifices and some practices that could easily be thought of as spectacles. When Christianity was made the official religion of the Roman Empire, many old practices were changed in meaning and direction. Instead of being offered to idols of the Roman pantheon, Christian meaning was taught through them, so they became vehicles of Christian education, expression, and celebration of Christ. White now being holiness and the light of God, red being the blood of Christ shed for us, etc, etc.

1 Corinthians 8:1-6
"Now concerning food offered to idols: we know that “all of us possess knowledge.” “Knowledge” puffs up, but love builds up. If any one imagines that he knows something, he does not yet know as he ought to know. 3 But if one loves God, one is known by him. Hence, as to the eating of food offered to idols, we know that “an idol has no real existence,” and that “there is no God but one.” For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”— yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist."
You see Paul here not even worrying about food that was scarified to idols, because he knows idols are fake gods that aren't real, so all that is truly there is just food, and God made food good. Tertullian was concerned about actual idolatry, not just using things that people once used as vehicles for their idolatry, otherwise we would not be able to use anything. He was also concerned about the sensuous nature of spectacles leading us astray by stirring the passions. Neither of these necessarily apply to something specifically being done to direct the mind and heart to celebration of Christ, even if we have capacity to sin through anything. There are Psalms that command us to celebrate God in various elaborate and skillful ways.

My God didn’t give us that knowledge. The evil one did. What use do we have of knowledge of a place that won’t exist when God’s kingdom comes nor will anyone care about when we are before God?

The evil one taught man computer science and how to harness electricity too? Knowledge that you are more than happy to take advantage of by posting on a message board? Do you drive a car or go to the doctor?

Last edited:
Yep. Him and his fallen. It’s no secret that Tesla and Edison got knowledge from unseen entities just as the ones working with AI will currently tell you plainly that they’re pulling energy and knowledge from the unseen. And yes I do drive a car and I’m sending this from an iPhone. Being born into a lie doesn’t keep you from knowledge of the lie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom