• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrome to over IE this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
I think Chrome is cool but wow at its growth!

Google Chrome, the search giant's web browser, is growing its market share at an incredible pace and is on course to overtake Microsoft's Internet Explorer this year.

StatCounter shows that Chrome is now the browser of choice for more than one in four web surfers (27 per cent) and that IE is losing its dominance daily. Microsoft's once undisputed king still holds more than a third (38 per cent) of the market share - but this is way down on its 70 per cent share back in 2008.

If the current boom in Chrome popularity rolls on, and IE continues to drop users, we could see Google's baby becoming top dog by around June or July.

Mozilla's Firefox is also under threat from the Chrome onslaught, with a share of 25.27 per cent - down by over 5 per cent of its share for the year before that.

Safari's share is just over 6 per cent - up from 4.79 per cent in December 2010 - and Opera comes in fifth place with a 1.98 per cent slice of the browser pie.

Google Chrome only launched at the end of 2008, but with close integration and added features for people using Google's ubiquitous suite of web tools such as Gmail, Google Docs and the like, the exciting benefits that will surely come as a result of Google+, and Google throwing oodles of cash at promoting the product, Microsoft and Mozilla must be seriously concerned.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/43656/chrome-to-be-no1-2012

Whoa. That's amazing.

I used Opera, and really liked the mouse gestures and all, but kinda forgot about those soon after Chrome.

There's probably a plugin for that but anyway, good show, Google.

longdi

Banned
I remember it was like yesterday that IE crushed all browsers before it. How did microsoft allowed IE to decay and declined, crazy turn of events. Chrome is indeed very snappy, shame on windows team that even with integrated knowledge, IE9 still can lag on some heavy java/flash sites.

I just switched from firefox the other day because of how buggy it is with google webpages/gmail/blogger/etc......I feel dirty (both are better than IE but I really like Mozillas model)

Nekofrog

Banned
I use Chrome (and have for a while) but I'm still not fully happy with it.

The permanent tab bar placement at the top that wigs out if left open for a few days really irks me.

whitehawk

Banned
I used to use chrome, but then when I got an iMac I started using Safari. They are both good, but I like some of the visual effects that Safari has.

Proud to be in the 1.98%.

Isn't there mouse gestures in every browser by now?

I mean, in FF and Chrome you have to add an add-on, but in Opera I mess with the settings of Mouse Gestures as well before I can use it, so it's not like downloading an add-on is the deal breaker for me.

kehs

Banned
Isn't there mouse gestures in every browser by now?

I mean, in FF and Chrome you have to add an add-on, but in Opera I mess with the settings of Mouse Gestures as well before I can use it, so it's not like downloading an add-on is the deal breaker for me.

Since they're not part of chrome they don't work on chrome pages (like home, settings, etc).

Totally kills it for me.

Somnid

I remember it was like yesterday that IE crushed all browsers before it. How did microsoft allowed IE to decay and declined, crazy turn of events. Chrome is indeed very snappy, shame on windows team that even with integrated knowledge, IE9 still can lag on some heavy java/flash sites.

The problem is Flash/Java. Get this shit out of my web. IIRC IE9 still holds a lot of the HTML 5 performance benchmarks. IE10 is also quite a beast.

big_z

Obviously not IE.... such a POS software.

Actually the safest browser is Internet explorer 9. Mind blown? If microsoft would fix or at least let you choose the way fonts are rendered it would be a great browser.

I would use chrome if you could customize it better. Give me a go/refresh button and a star icon for a drop down list for favorites.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Until Chrome has NoScript I'll stick with Firefox.

Even then, I may still not switch. I really hate how Google has it's paws on almost everything nowadays. Really turns me off.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Until Chrome has NoScript I'll stick with Firefox.

Options > Under the hood > Content Settings > Do not allow any site to run JavaScript

It also had built in options for blocking plugins and a white list feature for sites you trust.

Tuck

My problem with chrome is mouse gestures. They don't work in menu tabs. In Firefox thats not really a problem because there aren't many. But in Chrome, mouse gestures stop working when you open a new tab, pretty much any menu, etc. When they don't work 100% of the time, its very annoying.

Also, Firefox has live bookmarks. Why the other browsers haven't copied that idea, I'll never know.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I used to be cool with Firefox, but then it just stopped being....good. I can't really explain it. Now I use Chrome on all my machines.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I used FF for years, but when FF4 came out I simply hated it. Changed to Chrome and I'm still using it. It's just SO MUCH better.

I used newer versions of FF, but there's no contest. Chrome loads and opens in 2 seconds here, FF takes forever to open, among other things. Chrome ftw.

Zeppu

Actually the safest browser is Internet explorer 9. Mind blown? If microsoft would fix or at least let you choose the way fonts are rendered it would be a great browser.

I would use chrome if you could customize it better. Give me a go/refresh button and a star icon for a drop down list for favorites.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ffmdedmghpoipeldijkdlcckdpempkdi <-- star icon for drop down list of for favorites.

Refresh button is there, go isn't. But you're either using the keyboard already when typing a url or you can do paste & go or paste & search anyway.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Besides making IE not shitty they should really rebrand it, call it Bing Browser or something.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'd make the switch the chrome, if I could actually figure out the hotkeys for basic stuff like next tab, previous tab, close tab... and if there was a good replacement for Opera's speed dial new tab home page dealy.

To put it another way... there's way more stuff I love about Opera then Chrome; where chrome has its edge is in process stability. I find that Opera crashes too often because of some buggy website; if only that tab crashed, it would reduce the problems I have with Opera by 90%

offshore

If Chrome's address bar worked like FF's awesome bar, I'd start using Chrome in a flash. But as bloated and as slow as FF is, I love the way FF's address bar works and when I try other browsers, it's just horrible in comparison.

It's like people saying Firefox is good. Some of us are stuck in a vortex of 2 years ago.

Firefox is good. Deal with it.

It's always the same old story. People give critiques against a browser based on old memories, or bitch that "as long as this is not how I want it, I won't use it".

But the truth is, that you can make practically all of the browsers have the exact same features, options and appearances as you want, thanks to option menu's, scripts and add-ons. It's only in rare cases that a browser simply doesn't provide a feature, not even via an add-on.

Then, once you've made all the browser look and act the way you want them to, and they're all looking and acting the same, you should work with each of them for a week or so. In the end, it often comes down to really little personal irks, glitches and the stability of your own Windows/computer that end up deciding which browser you like the most.

I've come to realize that claims like "browser x is clearly the best" or "browser y simply sucks ass" are bullshit. We're not 5 years ago anymore, when IE was trash and the niche browsers were paving the way. Which one sucks or is clearly the best has become totally dependent on your own preference and set-up.

Number45

Have any of the people who still think IE is shitty tried IE 9?

I use it when I have to, it still feels horribly clunky to me (and I will never trust IE again for security).

Up until recently I just couldn't imagine giving up FF, but the ridiculous release schedule that appears to have been designed to make it go slower and slower each time* killed it for me.

* - disclaimer, I stopped at version 7 I think so I don't know how good version 68 is.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Have any of the people who still think IE is shitty tried IE 9?
IE9 is good, but something I noticed, it doesn't render the thick black line between post. Oddly enough, I like that.

IE9:

Q20JQ.png

FF:

csnar.png

Also buttons:

aJag5.png

Somnid

The way I dealt with it was remove CSS animations for Firefox users because of FF's messed Anti-aliasing code causes the colors to change in the middle of an animation. To be fair chrome also had a z-index issue with it but that was just a bit of flicker, not a big deal (IE9 behaved appropriately much to my surprise).

Hardly the first FF related issue I've had to deal with, just the most recent.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

It was like IE wasn't even touched outside of security updates for years and then MS started investing in it a couple of years ago. By then Google probably had software developers with experience in developing stuff like browsers and I don't think MS could keep up.

IE has gotten much better but things like google maps are way faster on chrome (maybe due to malicious reasons).

Somnid

It was like IE wasn't even touched outside of security updates for years and then MS started investing in it a couple of years ago. By then Google probably had software developers with experience in developing stuff like browsers and I don't think MS could keep up.

IE has gotten much better but things like google maps are way faster on chrome (maybe due to malicious reasons).

Google maps uses WebGL in chrome.

Bullza2o

I don't know why but Flash often crashes in Chrome in my laptop. I use Opera as my primary browser, but Chrome is my second choice. I also have IE9 and FF installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom