• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrome to over IE this year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

I agree that MS really needs to rebrand IE at some point, when I think about it it reminds me of the days of using Netscape Navigator. It's the dinosaur of web browsers, a stigma which I think MS needs to start doing their best to shake. Google has done a great job of getting the word out about Chrome and telling people why it's the de facto browser you should be using 2012.

Granted MS still leads the pack by a considerable margin when it comes to Email clients, so I guess they can brag about that :p

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i still use Firefox. Is Chrome actually much better than Firefox? i thought they were the same thing.

Trey

I used FF for years, but when FF4 came out I simply hated it. Changed to Chrome and I'm still using it. It's just SO MUCH better.

I used newer versions of FF, but there's no contest. Chrome loads and opens in 2 seconds here, FF takes forever to open, among other things. Chrome ftw.

I'm no browser wiz, but wouldn't Chrome be that much faster because of caches on your computer for using it so often, relative to FF?

IE at work, FF everywhere else.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Firefox started running really poorly after one version a year or two back, so I decided to give Chrome a second shot, and have been using it scene. Just runs good, though I don't like the changes to the start screen in the latest version (Also, when Chrome Auto updates, my ping spikes)

Wazzim

Banned
I use all 3, mostly firefox. (currently browsing with Chrome)
IE9 has a really good potential to be the new king if they create a better extension and application system, Firefox acts a little buggy at times.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The only thing preventing me from moving over to Chrome is the addons really (no script, adblock+, greasemonkey, etc.)

That and status bar.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
I'm no browser wiz, but wouldn't Chrome be that much faster because of caches on your computer for using it so often, relative to FF?

IE at work, FF everywhere else.

No, it makes no difference, when I only used FF it took ages to load, it's always been like this. And my machine isn't that bad, quad core (PII 955 3GHz) 4GB DDR2, etc.

Zizbuka

Banned
If not for companies that force IE on employees (*cough* my company *cough*), IE would already be in third.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
These numbers sound about right.

I'm still irked that IE9 hasn't taken over IE8 though.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Up until recently I just couldn't imagine giving up FF, but the ridiculous release schedule that appears to have been designed to make it go slower and slower each time* killed it for me.

* - disclaimer, I stopped at version 7 I think so I don't know how good version 68 is.

FF9 renders faster than Chrome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As does Firefox.

It's not as effective as the Firefox one, still get ads (unsurprisingly) on YouTube.

It's coming. Key is none of the extensions had major hooks so they couldn't do certain tasks like in FF. Now with the advent of the native client that should in theory anyways fix a ton of stuff that couldn't be done before.

In general though all of the latest versions of all the modern browsers are waaaayyy better than they use to be. Heck they are a ton better than they were even a year or two ago at this time.

PS:

These numbers sound about right.

I'm still irked that IE9 hasn't taken over IE8 though.

We're fucked until people move on from XP. Just another reason to get on the XP needs to go bandwagon!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Chrome is amazing. I have not used IE since 2002.

Yeah, but the thing that annoys me about it is that i can´t use the arrows on my keyboard to go and up on a page. That´s how i usually brows GAF. I use the arrows not mouse to read GAF.
Maybe you turned on caret browsing, because arrow keys do let you go up and down.

reilo

IE is still shit, IE9 included. Just because it's better than IE8 it doesn't make it a good browser compared to the competition. Their developer tools are laughable because they are identical to the ones in IE8.

Alx

I'm still faithful to Opera... but on pages that aren't correctly supported, I use IE, most of the time it works perfectly.
Fun fact : I usually need to do it because of Google documents, and even Chrome wouldn't handle "excel" sheets correctly on my PC, while IE does.

kharma45

Yes, at work, because I'm forced. It's nowhere near as good as Chrome or FF. Still clunky and slow.

I've noticed that for our uni PCs (we've Chrome and Firefox too on them, choice ftw) but my home laptop and home PCs are fine for IE. There's a marked difference between the performance of IE9 at home and at uni for some reason.

It's not awful at uni, it's just nowhere near as snappy as it should be.

IE is still shit, IE9 included. Just because it's better than IE8 it doesn't make it a good browser compared to the competition. Their developer tools are laughable because they are identical to the ones in IE8.

"Also, given how well IE 9 performed in these tests, sticking with the default browser that comes with Windows no longer gives you an inferior web experience."

IE9 really isn't as bad as you make out.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Something to consider about work or university PCs is that many organizations have intense, mandatory antivirus and internet security that can slow everything down to a crawl.

reilo

It is bad. It might perform well on these benchmarks, but on the same platform and tested against Chrome or Firefox it still renders many pages slower. Noticeably so.

Mr_Zombie

Up until recently I just couldn't imagine giving up FF, but the ridiculous release schedule that appears to have been designed to make it go slower and slower each time* killed it for me.

Oh ffs, when will people stop bitching about updating FF once every 6 weeks? It's a matter of clicking a single button to update the browser - in exchange you've constantly get new major features; that way Mozilla is preventing from the massive failure that was FF4 release - stuck in beta/RC stage for 8 months.

Mozilla is planing to introduce upgrading in the background soon anyway.

longdi said:
How did microsoft allowed IE to decay and declined, crazy turn of events.
Simply, by not updating the browser.

IE release schedule:
IE6 - 2001.
IE7 - 2006 (5 years later!).
IE8 - 2009 (3 years!)
IE9 - 2011 (supported only by Vista and Win7, so WinXP users are stuck with IE8 - a '09 browser)

Releasing new version of a browser with a 2-5 years-gap and no major feature updates in the meantime? Really?
It's especially amusing nowadays, when support for various HTML5 and CSS3 features are introduced or improved in each release of Chrome, FF or Opera while IE9 is stuck with what was available almost a year ago; and even then it supported less CSS3 and HTML5 features than other browsers.

Number45

Oh ffs, when will people stop bitching about updating FF once every 6 weeks? It's a matter of clicking a single button to update the browser - in exchange you've constantly get new major features; that way Mozilla is preventing from the massive failure that was FF4 release - stuck in beta/RC stage for 8 months.
Oh ffs, when will people stop to think that updating their browser might cause issues with other installed software that, with young children in the house, I NEED to be active.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Oh ffs, when will people stop to think that updating their browser might cause issues with other installed software that, with young children in the house, I NEED to be active.

This is more of a fact that for some reason with the way Mozilla pushes out updates it makes it so you have to have certain hooks for extensions to run. Why it isn't like Chrome I'm not sure.

yayaba

I never thought I would switch from Firefox.

I did about a year back and I haven't looked back. Chrome is so much more speedier and stable than Firefox it's really sad.

Somnid

What? IE9 has some of the best dev tools. The only feature it lacks is right-click inspect.

Chanser

A bit like WMP10+, before that it was crap and Winamp or Foobar crapped all over it. Now WMP10+ is a pretty capable player, of course you can't beat VLC player.

Somnid

IE9 needs spell check for me to use it.

IE10 will have it in all OSs, I think Windows 8 will have OS level spell checking.

A bit like WMP10+, before that it was crap and Winamp or Foobar crapped all over it. Now WMP10+ is a pretty capable player, of course you can't beat VLC player.

Except VLC's horrendous interface. If only Zune player could naively play flac.

FerranMG

I've been using Opera for something like 10 years, and always thought it is the best browser.
However, I switched to a Mac this summer, and found the Mac version of Opera to be buggy and unstable. I tried Chrome, and have been using since, I'm pretty happy about it but I'd still rather use Opera if it worked better. :(

Still use Opera at work.

I'm getting memory leaks like crazy from Firefox 9. 10 tabs and its over a 1GB in memory use. I can close all my tabs and wait for about 5 minutes and still see 550MB in the taskmanager for firefox.exe. It's sad to see them fall apart because they have a great extensions collection.

I don't think I could ever have Chrome as a default browser until it gets some customization which will probably never happen. It also needs proper adblock and a bookmarks bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom