• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chromehounds - Did I Miss the Party?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I played Chromehounds for the first time today and had heard that XBL was where it's at, so that's what I chose first. Was very quickly overwhelmed with menu choices, squads, a war, revenue... etc etc. I didn't know wtf was going on.

Sooo I decided to go and peter around the single player's training a little bit first :lol :lol

Am I too late? Is the GAF squad still active? Can I get in? Will someone teach me how the hell this (apparently) very, very complicated game works in a multiplayer setting?

My gamertag is ErrorJustin, if someone wants to show me the ropes.

rastex

Banned
Forget about the Neromious war. It's stupid and doesn't work unless you're hardcore. It took me 10 hours to figure that out, but once I found the paradise that is Player Match games I was better for it. It's awesome playing 6v6 games with a bunch of people you don't know, but everybody is coordinating, and you see some crazy mech designs.

Oh, and you WILL get creamed for the first 10 hours that you play.

Hrm... actually you should play some Neromious War missions so you can make money and buy parts. Once you have a bunch of parts that you can make some decent mechs with, then you're fine.

GDJustin

Thank you for the advance. Can anyone tell me about the (in)activity of the GAF squad?

You missed nothing but a very very mediocre mechgame that attempted to make the mechs real by making them slow. They also succeeded in draining all funout of the game and as such left the whle thing a hollow, souless mess.

Nemesis556 said:
I also believe you did not miss ANYTHING. =)

Lonesome_Raod said:
You missed nothing but a very very mediocre mechgame that attempted to make the mechs real by making them slow. They also succeeded in draining all funout of the game and as such left the whle thing a hollow, souless mess.

You will find many here on GAF who will not agree with you. It's true that other games have come along to erode the community of Chromehounds, but the when the two or three GAF squads were playing every night, it was one of the best multiplayer experiences you'd ever experience on Live.

The game has tons of depth, an awesome persistent online war, and great squad tactics. If you based your opinion strictly on the single player game, I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for the game, but multiplayer more than made up for that, and the two combined made for a very fun game.

shpankey

not an idiot
i find it to be a lot of fun. i think some of the complainers just got pwn3d online, to be honest. ;)

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
microsoft have sent my 360 back, and assuming they've actually fixed it, i'll be playing some chromehounds today. don't know how active the squad is at this point -- i'd imagine "not very." neogaf brigade, i think we've got some open spots, i forget what the password is, but if you see me online you can message me. my gamertag is "drohne."

chromehounds is my favorite online game ever. the combined depth of the mech building and in-game tactics is unbelievable. but the singleplayer is basically worthless.

I played the crap out of this game without ever excelling at it but it was great fun.. nowadays though, I'm playing single player games mostly.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
GDJustin, go to the official Chromehounds thread.

I still play the game once in a while but mostly 1v1 in the war, or just free battle -- mostly because even without the context of a squad or a persistent war, the core mechanic of the game (as well as the graphics) are just too good to write off.

g23

European pre-madonna
chespace said:
GDJustin, go to the official Chromehounds thread.

I still play the game once in a while but mostly 1v1 in the war, or just free battle -- mostly because even without the context of a squad or a persistent war, the core mechanic of the game (as well as the graphics) are just too good to write off.

By "good" gfx you mean Mechs suddenly dissappearing when they blow up and sparse generic n64 like environments :lol

Ashodin

I'd get the band back together for some fights, but everyone's interested in other games now, like Kung Fu said.

Though I guess we can look forward to Armored Core 4 :lol

Sparse environments? I guess he hasn't see the incredible middle eastern city looking one that covers the etire map and is split with the bridge and river system.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
the year 20XX said:
Isn't that what it usually means? Have I been using it wrong?

As exemplified by games like Castlevania 64, right? Nope, you've been using it right.

GDJustin

OK, thanks for all the replies. I'm probably going to poke around the single player a bit more and then dive right into the Multi and see how it goes. If anyone sees me on XBL feel free to send me an invite, etc.

Top Bottom