• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemassacre: PS4 vs Pro Comparison

Chumley

Banned
Worth it for the stable 30 fps with TLG. Every damn penny worth.

$200 fucking dollars for one game.

I mean, I basically don't even want to play it on OG it runs so badly but we're still talking about one fucking game since I don't use this thing for anything but exclusives.

shanafan

would you spend the money to upgrade?

"Fuck no, who the fuck would do that?"

Spat out my drink

I probably couldn't tell the difference either

I find it humorous that the guy who said this has a tattoo directly inked on his hand. If someone asked me if they want a tattoo covering their entire hand, I would echo his PS4 Pro thoughts, lol.

LowParry

$200 fucking dollars for one game.

I mean, I basically don't even want to play it on OG it runs so badly but we're still talking about one fucking game since I don't use this thing for anything but exclusives.

Future proof my friend. Look at next years line up.

Also more pro patching for FFXV this month. Super excited.

I personally think having a high quality 4kTV with HDR is more important than which PS4 you have since both models have HDR support and I think that's what makes the biggest difference visually. Of course framerate is a different story and the Pro is what you should get if this is an issue for you.

That's not just your personal opinion but basically the common consensus (despite what some people here might tell you to justify their double dipping on a $400 device).

HDR is much, much more noticeable than the sub-4K resolution upgrade as it changes a lot more in terms of graphics. Pretty much everyone can tell the difference (even when assuming the HDR mode is set up correctly compared to the non-HDR TV settings, i.e. no super vibrant over-saturated default modes with post-processing or whatever).

This creates situations in that - depending on the game - graphics get a bigger boost with a vanilla PS4 on an HDR 4K TV compared to PS4pro on a non-HDR 4K or 1080p screen.

In light of that, it's btw a bit disappointing that some games that got a pro patch didn't include HDR.

Maybe if future games specifically design with the pro in mind (to implement things beyond higher res), differences will be more drastic more often.

prwxv3

Yeah, but I wonder if the Pro didn't exist they would have had more time optimizing the performance.

Lol. Ueda does not care that much about performance compared to everything else. And pro support does not take up that much time to ditch optimization on OG PS4.

Yeah, but I wonder if the Pro didn't exist they would have had more time optimizing the performance.
The Pro is basically the same as the base PS4 if you aren't specifically targeting the Pro for optimization, which you wouldn't if your game has issues running on the base PS4. I'm pretty sure they just made sure the Pro didn't break the game, and spent the vast majority of their time optimizing for the base PS4. The base PS4 has by far the larger install base so there is no reason to do otherwise.

Mikey Jr.

They should stick to playing NES games.

It's their specialty. Them talking about anything modern is completely "fish out of water" for me.

MazeHaze

Banned
Results make sense to me. I only own regular ps4, but I have a pc hooked up to the same tv. I can run some games in 4k on the pc (gtx 980) and while I can tell the difference, it isn't huge unless I get really close. and the difference between 1440p and 4k I can't tell at all, 5 feet from a 55 inch screen.

I'd still always take 1080p 60 over 4k 30 too, I can run mostly everything at 4k 30, but higher framerate is a more noticeable visual bump imo.

lol at the defensive posts. If you find value in the PS4 Pro then great. Others are allowed to question the value proposition without being "out of the loop".

prwxv3

Once again framerate is a developer choice. I guess they could have included a better CPU (instead of just upclocking the OG CPU) that would have fucked up their price and other things.

Harp

Why ask does it suck? And I think we can all agree while Uncharted looks great on pro, it also looks great on PS4. But at the end of the day people picked the pro. But when asked about price, of course someone that does not care about games that much is going to go based on price.

Why even have sone that would never buy a game system in the test at all.

TheFatMan

This video is ridiculous.

First, you used Uncharted 4 which basically is just a 4k upgrade. Try using Rise of the Tomb Raider, Ratchet or FFXV...you know a game that actually has visual differences.

Second. How the shit these people can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080 from 2 feet away is beyond me. You have to be almost blind at that distance. Baffling video.

tesqui

The Pro is basically the same as the base PS4 if you aren't specifically targeting the Pro for optimization, which you wouldn't if your game has issues running on the base PS4. I'm pretty sure they just made sure the Pro didn't break the game, and spent the vast majority of their time optimizing for the base PS4. The base PS4 has by far the larger install base so there is no reason to do otherwise.

If the pro didn't exist and the game was in the state it's in, then I think they would have delayed it till early next year. I just doubt that in this day and age they would allow that type of performance to slide on a first party title. I feel like having the game run fairly well on the Pro gives them an excuse to ship it the way it is.

This video is ridiculous.

First, you used Uncharted 4 which basically is just a 4k upgrade. Try using Rise of the Tomb Raider, Ratchet or FFXV...you know a game that actually has visual differences.

Second. How the shit these people can't tell the difference between 4k and 1080 from 2 feet away is beyond me. You have to be almost blind at that distance. Baffling video.

JUST a 4K upgrade from a first party developer, which is the entire point of the system.

If a 3rd party game was used, people would say it's not coded to the metal enough.

The difference between 1080p and 4Kinda isn't enough for a lot of people to justify the purchase, which is the point here.

prwxv3

If the pro didn't exist and the game was in the state it's in, then I think they would have delayed it till early next year. I just doubt that in this day and age they would allow that type of performance to slide on a first party title. I feel like having the game run fairly well on the Pro gives them an excuse to ship it the way it is.

Hahahaha no. This game was coming out this year. If they would have delayed it again there would have been hell to pay. Pro was not involved in the main development of the game or delay decisions.

Terrible video. Uncharted 4 is probably the best looking base PS4 game man. You have to try a wide range of games for this to be even remotely worth it.

Terrible video. Uncharted 4 is probably the best looking base PS4 game man. You have to try a wide range of games for this to be even remotely worth it.

Uncharted 4 as a first party game should be the most capable of taking advantage of the PS4 Pro hardware.

Relying on the PS4 Pro's more powerful hardware to some how make sup-optimized 3rd party games shine seems like a foolish benchmark.

farisr

Uncharted 4 as a first party game should be the most capable of taking advantage of the PS4 Pro hardware.

Relying on the PS4 Pro's more powerful hardware to some how make sup-optimized 3rd party games shine seems like a foolish benchmark.
uncharted 4 is a game that released half a year before the pro did. Expecting a dev to go back and make the game take full advantage of the hardware is ridiculous.

First party games that release after however should definitely take more advantage. Horizon should make the hardware really shine.

prwxv3

uncharted 4 is a game that released half a year before the pro did. Expecting a dev to go back and make the game take full advantage of the hardware is ridiculous.

First party games that release after however should definitely take more advantage. Horizon should make the hardware really shine.

I am amazed there are people that don't understand that deloping games now with a pro mode is completely different then patching old games.

thuway

This "comparison" is about as reductive and pedestrian as it gets. I love how it glances over far too many variables, uses one example- a poor one at that, and completely dodges any follow up - to come to the conclusion of: "this is a disaster".

The results here aren't shocking considering the title being compared. They would have been much better off comparing Rise of the Tomb Raider, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare, TitanFall 2, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy XV etc. Digital Foundry has mentioned the enhancements on those titles are far and away more pronounced. In fact they go on to mention Uncharted 4 is their biggest disappointment in the PS4 Pro upgraded titles.

Than again I'd love to see statistics on people who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. The mass public's needs and acceptances for visual fidelity and the "hardcore" gamer are vast. It would have been far more scientific to include a variety of titles, modes, and feature sets to compare. High frame rate, highest visual quality, 1080p versus 4k / checkerboard- etc.

I don't think so. The hardware is architecturally the same. It's a linear progression to increase the fidelity. With RAM size and CPU capability basically being the same you can't expect a huge leap on future games. All of the extra GPU power on the Pro is used to increase resolution per Sony's plan.

Even a slightly lower res with higher effects won't extract a meaningful graphical difference.

Like I said I went from an i5 2400@3.4GHz/7870 to an i5 6600K@4.4GHz/1070 and the biggest difference by a landslide is fps. Yes I can play at 1440p with super high settings on the 1070, but 60fps is by far the biggest difference.

prwxv3

I don't think so. The hardware is architecturally the same. It's a linear progression to increase the fidelity. With RAM size and CPU capability basically being the same you can't expect a huge leap on future games. All of the extra GPU power on the Pro is used to increase resolution per Sony's plan.

Even a slightly lower res with higher effects won't extract a meaningful graphical difference.

Like I said I went from an i5 2400@3.4GHz/7870 to an i5 6600K@4.4GHz/1070 and the biggest difference by a landslide is fps. Yes I can play at 1440p with super high settings on the 1070, but 60fps is by far the biggest difference.

Look at the specs again. It's not big enough to go from 30 to 60 (without sacrificing something else) like many people stupidly expected but its a decent increase. And Sony is not forcing devs to go all in on resolution. It's a dev desiring as it has been forever.

Look at the specs again. And Sony is not forcing devs to go all in on resolution. It's a dev desiring as it has been forever.

How does looking at the specs help? Also Naughty Dog could have run a lower res than 1080p and achieved 60fps and they didn't. They even used a terrible motion blur implementation to hide performance issues.

So a simple sub-conscious trick totally invalidated any positives of owning a PRO? Sounds like another reason to not upgrade truthfully.

Eh, don't underestimate the power of your sub-conscience. I couldn't give two pixels about the PS4 Pro, already got a PC with a 1070 I have no interest in upgrading my consoles. But, "simple" sub-conscience tricks can have quite a powerful impact on a person. I'd be more interested in such a comparison if such a manipulation were removed.

prwxv3

How does looking at the specs help? Also Naughty Dog could have run a lower res than 1080p and achieved 60fps and they didn't. They even used a terrible motion blur implementation to hide performance issues.

There is a CPU clock increase which does make a difference. Not enough to make a 30 fps game to 60 but enough to make a difference. lol performance issues. That game had a rock solid 30 fps the entire game.

Eh, don't underestimate the power of your sub-conscience. I couldn't give two pixels about the PS4 Pro, already got a PC with a 1070 I have no interest in upgrading my consoles. But, "simple" sub-conscience tricks can have quite a powerful impact on a person. I'd be more interested in such a comparison if such a manipulation were removed.

I have a 1070 as well. If a simple sub-conscious trick can effect your purchase then maybe it's not a worth-while investment.

There is a CPU clock increase which does make a difference. Not enough to make a 30 fps game to 60 but enough to make a difference. lol performance issues. That game had a rock solid 30 fps the entire game.

With or without motion blur?

thuway

This video is so full of truth and salt.
Is-not-worth-it.

So your telling me for a mere 100 dollars more it's not worth it for the improvements seen in Final Fantasy XV, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and COD Infinite Warfare?

I'll save you the google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew0_5fF0WaM
Do you honestly believe that level of upgrade is not "worth it"? C'mon -_-.

The only thing this video is full of is cherry picked examples. It lacks nuance altogether. I get there is a group of people who think the PS4 Pro isn't worth the upgrade, but to deny that the difference is so miniscule that the common man with the naked eye can't perceive it is pure and utter garbage.

So your telling me for a mere 100 dollars more it's not worth it for the improvements seen in Final Fantasy XV, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and COD Infinite Warfare?

I'll save you the google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew0_5fF0WaM

The only thing this video is full of is cherry picked examples.

This video convinced me to stick with my OG PS4 more than it did to upgrade. The PS4 is good enough.

farisr

I'll save you the google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQiZ4vmirY

The only thing this video is full of is cherry picked examples.
honestly think most people who can't tell the difference are looking at comparison vids and stuff on their phones or something.

Like I'll be honest, uncharted 4 didn't look much different to me and I'd probably be one of the two people in the cinemassacre video picking the wrong screen for which one is better, but ffxv is a huge difference.

Foxxsoxx

Uh, I don't have a Pro or anything but that was a horrible test. Like utterly horrible.

It only shows one game, one scene in the game, not even multiple scenes to show a difference. No mention if they're showcasing HDR, I can't take this 'test' seriously.

Not to mention a game that doesn't even use the full potential of the upgrades it offers either. Then shows it to people that seem so disinterested that they couldn't care less that they're testing it.

The number of PS4 Pro sales of TLG will be insignificant next to the number for the base PS4. The Pro is a total non-issue. No developer is going to sacrifice the base PS4 development for the Pro. The only time the base PS4 is going to have a poor version of a game when the Pro runs just fine is when the developer is out of time and had to release the game regardless, and the Pro's increased power lets it overcome the problem through brute force.

NastyBook

They only used one game for this "test."

I'm convinced!
TadkV.gif

prwxv3

The number of PS4 Pro sales of TLG will be insignificant next to the number for the base PS4. The Pro is a total non-issue. No developer is going to sacrifice the base PS4 development for the Pro. The only time the base PS4 is going to have a poor version of a game when the Pro runs just fine is when the developer is out of time and had to release the game regardless, and the Pro's increased power lets it overcome the problem through brute force.

This is a much better explanation.

Sitris

This video convinced me to stick with my OG PS4 more than it did to upgrade. The PS4 is good enough.
Then it is not made for you, I too am happy with the OG ps4. I am however going to get the Pro when I need to get a new ps4 next year. Because it is an upgrade, a big upgrade? No, but an upgrade.

The normal consumer and gamer is fine with the OG, but if you are in the market for a new ps4, have the money, there is no reason not to go for the little extra benefits.

This is not for non gamers or even casual ps4 gamers, this is for the die hard audience who want the slightly better bush texture and slightly sturdier framerate. Like me, but not till I have more money!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
lol at the defensive posts. If you find value in the PS4 Pro then great. Others are allowed to question the value proposition without being "out of the loop".

Its not about 'finding value'.

I don't own a pro, not interested in one. I myself personally see no value in owning one, but I know others do find value in it and that's great.

I'm pissed because Mike has an agenda and is pushing dumb tests to push that agenda.

Imagine scorpio comes out next year and someone puts an Xbox One and a Scorpio side by side and then pulls out any dude on the street and says "which one is better", and then uses that to make a dumb argument that the console is not worth it, it would be even more shitty cause the differences are larger.

Its just as reductionist and anti intellectual as the IGN gif of them pushing "you cant see 1080p unless your like 2 feet away"

thuway

More power to you, but I can tell you the majority of my "gamer" colleagues saw this and are considering selling their PS4 for a Pro. The hum dinger is - they've almost all echoed the same sentiments: "When I get a 4K TV, I'm gonna pick up a Pro".

This is a product with a foot in it's mouth trying to cater to an audience that is niche and set to expand in the coming years - IE owners of 4K HDR televisions. However, my issue is with this "test" trying to insinuate people can't tell a difference whatsoever and that is reflective of the hardware. If you put someone in the right environment, with the right title and the right enhancements - I would be hard pressed to believe you couldn't tell a difference.

That's a lot of "if's" - but you get the idea.

McSpidey

This response comes down to a few simple factors.
_ Uncalibrated SDR content can look very exciting to people, especially in side my side viewing, but that over saturated output isn't what the artists intended. HDR10's wide colour gamut output enforces normal saturation levels for the first time in a decade.

_ Uncharted 4 on OG PS4 looks amazing already with great picture quality, and its main pro improvement is even more picture quality - but not all the way up to 4k

I wouldn't buy a pro to play uncharted 4's intro scene either.

Luckily there are other games, features etc and the pro is rad. I love mine.

More power to you, but I can tell you the majority of my "gamer" colleagues saw this and are considering selling their PS4 for a Pro. The hum dinger is - they've almost all echoed the same sentiments: "When I get a 4K TV, I'm gonna pick up a Pro".

This is a product with a foot in it's mouth trying to cater to an audience that is niche and set to expand in the coming years - IE owners of 4K HDR televisions. However, my issue is with this "test" trying to insinuate people can't tell a difference whatsoever and that is reflective of the hardware. If you put someone in the right environment, with the right title and the right enhancements - I would be hard pressed to believe you couldn't tell a difference.

That's a lot of "if's" - but you get the idea.
Not really. My experience with mass market gamers has been. CoD of any form is da best and they don't adjust their TVs in any way. So they are playing games and movies at "240hz".

trixx

I find it humorous that the guy who said this has a tattoo directly inked on his hand. If someone asked me if they want a tattoo covering their entire hand, I would echo his PS4 Pro thoughts, lol.

not huge fan of tats so I'd probably react the same. Funny thing was how insulted he appeared to be by the question.

There's some glaring issues with this test. Didn't really teach me anything because I already know that by in large most people aren't going to spend an additional 150 for a ps4 pro with no extra game, when they have an option of getting a slim + game. I was going to buy the slim instead of pro pretty much for that reason as well.

Top Bottom