• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemax developing TV series adaptation of 'The Boys' graphic novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘The Boys’ Drama Based On Comic Book Set At Cinemax

After bringing Garth Ennis’ Preacher to the screen with the upcoming AMC series, Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and Neal Moritz are tackling another dark and violent comic book by Ennis on cable television. Cinemax has put in development The Boys, from the Preacher team of Rogen and Goldberg’s Point Grey, Moritz’s Original Film and Sony TV.

Developed by Rogen, Goldberg and Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, and to be written by Kripke based on the graphic novel written by Ennis and illustrated by Darick Robertson, the series is set in a time where most of the superheroes are corrupted by their celebrity status and often engage in reckless behavior, compromising the safety of the world. It centers on a CIA squad, known informally as “the boys,” whose job is to keep watch on the proliferation of superheroes and, if necessary, eliminate some of them.

Rogen and Goldberg, who helmed the Preacher pilot, are set to direct.

This is natural progression of Deadpool's success. Going from "Fuck Superheroes" to "Murder Superheroes"!

Will wait to see how their Preacher turns out before feel anything about this

KonradLaw

Wow. This could be awesome. Seems like perfect match and I was hoping to see Kripke do something on Cable.

Now dear Cinemax, just greenlight the damn John Rain series,

Slayven

Have you seen any Cinemax shows? They don't give a fuck about censoring shit.

Have you read Garth Ennis unchanined? He does nasty shit for the sake of it.

Besides that The Boys is really a deconstruction of the comicbook industry, not just superheroes, but the whole industry and I can't see how they can translate that to a tv audience and have them "get it"

Avixph

Besides that The Boys is really a deconstruction of the comicbook industry, not just superheroes, but the whole industry and I can't see how they can translate that to a tv audience and have them "get it"
It could becomea deconstruction of the comic book movie and TV industry.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seeing what happened to the Preacher TV series, which isn't out yet and could still be good , I'm not sure I'm very excited for this. Its not only just about the graphic violence and sex, Cinemax could do that in spades and we'd still get a shitty show. The Boys was great because of its seeming hard on and hatred for superheros and everything about them. Its a mean mean fucking story and I just don't see that coming across very well on the TV show.

Fusebox

Banned
Hahah wtf I love this comic more than I should but without a decent budget and a ballsy director it isn't going to be close to the comic.

RS4-

I found Boys, and especially Crossed to be completely unreadable. Maybe I'll try to read Boys again.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well it's on the right network for it, unlike Preacher.

This should be interesting if nothing else.

Slayven

Seeing what happened to the Preacher TV series, which isn't out yet and could still be good , I'm not sure I'm very excited for this. Its not only just about the graphic violence and sex, Cinemax could do that in spades and we'd still get a shitty show. The Boys was great because of its seeming hard on and hatred for superheros and everything about them. Its a mean mean fucking story and I just don't see that coming across very well on the TV show.

Garth Ennis hates superheroes, realize this and his work makes sense

Sou Da

I keep hearing this is good but my first experience with The Boys was Herogasm and I couldn't fucking stand it.

Slayven

Let's hope they change the ending, too.

Problem with the ending is that the whole story ran for too long

I keep hearing this is good but my first experience with The Boys was Herogasm and I couldn't fucking stand it.
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Yeah that would be too much too soon.

Martian Manhunter shooting up heroin made from the crust off of a superhero's dick takes some easing into.

HStallion

Garth Ennis hates superheroes, realize this and his work makes sense

Oh I realized this long long ago even before I read the Boys. Seeing the changes made to Preacher for budget reasons alone I have serious issues thinking they could do the Boys any justice on either the scale or the story.

Slayven

Oh I realized this long long ago even before I read the Boys. Seeing the changes made to Preacher for budget reasons alone I have serious issues thinking they could do the Boys any justice on either the scale or the story.

A-train's defining scene by itself would take some cash

The story has a lot of bloat, certainly. You could probably cut out most of the depravity and have a lean, mean revenge story told from a unique POV. That's The Boys that I want to see on TV.

Primus

Yeah, after what they had to change in Preacher, I have no confidence that even on Cinemax they'll make something even remotely recognizable as The Boys.

Enid doesn't really hate superheroes (well, some more than others), he just has no reverence for them.

"The Boys" was a pisstake on the comic book industry more than superheroes.

DedValve

Banned

Didn't Garth Ennis do Crossed?

Quick google search says yes. Good lord.

The Boys is a comic book series, not a graphic novel.

It's also my least favorite of all of Ennis major series(Hitman > Punisher > hell blazer > preacher > the boys)

It is of the utmost importance they adapt the scene where Hughie went down in Starlight when she was on her period and Butcher catches him.

Bleepey

I wonder when WB/DC will turn to Hitman...

It will be the Punisher but funny. I know James Gunn will talk about the wrong lessons learned from Deadpool but I think this could be one of the good lessons learned from Deadpool and if Suicide Squad kicks ass this could further open the door for dark comedic comic book shows.

Geist-

After seeing what Cinemax did with Banshee, this is the best comic-to-tv news I've ever heard. Holy shit this is exciting.

Can't wait to see Love Sausage in action.
wpid-tb-13-jpg1.jpeg

HStallion

I don't know about you guys but Id certainly love to see AMCs adaptation of Crossed haha. That and the talk show that appears after the main show with a bad pun name. Uncrossed? Crossed Streams?

Fury451

Banned
I don't know about you guys but Id certainly love to see AMCs adaptation of Crossed haha. That and the talk show that appears after the main show with a bad pun name. Uncrossed? Crossed Streams?

It would be called "Talking Crossed" and you know it.

I'm convinced Talking Dead was accidentally clever because Talking Bad and Talking Saul are not puns.

Anyways....count me in the "it won't be great" camp. Honestly I never finished The Boys, but I don't really see how it can be done justice considering. Though I think the chance is much higher on Cinemax for unedited content than AMC obviously, but then again....it's still Cinemax.

Busty

Banned
This will look like it's going to get picked up and then the higher ups at Time Warner will demand that Cinemax pick up a Vertigo TV project from Warner Bros instead and this show will, once again, disappear into development ether where it's destined to spend eternity.

Is the source material good?

It's amazing.....,

--- if you're 13 years old.

If not you are not, then no, it is not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom