• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cinemax developing TV series adaptation of 'The Boys' graphic novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Boys has been published in collected book form, therefore it is a graphic novel.

Technically I believe the story must be originally released as a single compete book and not as individual issues to be considered a true graphic novel. Then again the term as I just defined it excludes stuff like Watchmen so I think its definition has changed over the years to a "book" sized comic.

So are they gonna get Simon Pegg to play that one dude that's super obviously based on him?

I remember reading the first several issues of this with my dad and thinking it was an interesting idea but I never got very far in it. I typically prefer more light hearted stuff.

This will look like it's going to get picked up and then the higher ups at Time Warner will demand that Cinemax pick up a Vertigo TV project from Warner Bros instead and this show will, once again, disappear into development ether where it's destined to spend eternity.

It's amazing.....,

--- if you're 13 years old.

If not you are not, then no, it is not good.
The Boys is definitely one of the weakest things Ennis has written. It showed flashes of brilliance but was mostly just an excuse for him to wank over his hatred of superheroes (which created some great moments). He more successfully took the piss out of heroes in Hitman and his recent Section 8 series.

LOL yeah no.

I'm sorry, you can't do a TV show or movie of The Boys. It's too graphic and too explicit.

The main characters literally castrate people.

kmfdmpig

It's an over the top parody in the tradition of Marshal Law. I personally loved it, but it's not something that has wide appeal as it's over the top and has a fair amount of inside comic trope humor (as does Marshal Law).

I think it would be very difficult to pull this off in live action form.

Parch

I thought The Boys was great. Especially since I was getting pretty annoyed with superhero comics at the time.

I don't think it could be an exact adaptation but if they made it funny and insulting I think it could be really popular. The superhero movies are approaching saturation so The Boys would have the same effect. A good mock would be good fun.

kmfdmpig

Shame. The concept actually sounded interesting. Castration for the sake of it isn't.

The comic is so over the top that nothing feels too serious. Obviously whether that's appealing or not will be up to you, but think of the comic as having a similar demeanor to the Crank movies, although with a bit of Ennis' signature style mixed in.

Geist-

Anyways....count me in the "it won't be great" camp. Honestly I never finished The Boys, but I don't really see how it can be done justice considering. Though I think the chance is much higher on Cinemax for unedited content than AMC obviously, but then again....it's still Cinemax.

Have you watched much on Cinemax? They've had top-tier television for years now. Have you seen Banshee or The Knick?

Have you watched much on Cinemax? They've had top-tier television for years now. Have you seen Banshee or The Knick?

This guys, a Boys adaptation that's half Knick quality, half Banshee mayhem would be just the fuckin' ticket. Hell, Antony Starr from Banshee is a Kiwi, if he can do a passable British accent, I could see him as Butcher.

Antony_Starr_%28cropped%29.jpg

Not to say that there aren't many fine British actors as well (but you can film way cheaper in New Zealand nowadays).

Shame. The concept actually sounded interesting. Castration for the sake of it isn't.
Babies also get eaten, you literally see a super-villain rending an infants flesh off the bone with his teeth. I'd be surprised if a lot of the overly harsh moments(there's plenty) in The Boys get on TV.

Dabanton

Would love to see what they'll take out to get this on screen as the graphic novel is pretty out there in certain parts. But Cinemax isn't afraid to put out more harsher shows.

Moderately interested.

KonradLaw

I doubt they will go as far as comics and that's ok. Comicbooks are a lot lighter medium. If you want to create shock factor you need to go farther than in live action.

The Boys was 10% good writing, whether it be takes on the Comic Industry or characterization and quiet human moments, 90% shit-covered and piss-drenched hate-boner skull-fucking violence.

Really disappointing series. Any time you got a flash of good it was drowned in tits and dicks and violence, often simultaneously.

Effect

So are they gonna get Simon Pegg to play that one dude that's super obviously based on him?

I remember reading the first several issues of this with my dad and thinking it was an interesting idea but I never got very far in it. I typically prefer more light hearted stuff.

I wish the series was just dark but it's more then that. Large parts of it are just gratuitous, shock value for the sake of it, and a lot of times just outright disgusting. The general premise of the story is actually really interesting, even some of the references to the characters from other publishers. The details and how it's actually done is another story and is the big problem with it. Like said there are really good and interesting parts to it but there is a lot of shit you have to push through to get to it and it's not worth it at all. At least I didn't feel it was and I was glad I borrowed the books vs buying them.

I wish the series was just dark but it's more then that. Large parts of it are just gratuitous, shock value for the sake of it, and a lot of times just outright disgusting. The general premise of the story is actually really interesting, even some of the references to the characters from other publishers. The details and how it's actually done is another story and is the big problem with it. Like said there are really good and interesting parts to it but there is a lot of shit you have to push through to get to it and it's not worth it at all. At least I didn't feel it was and I was glad I borrowed the books vs buying them.

Garth Ennis is probably my favorite comic book writer and this series really made me question that. I still remember when the protagonist went to MM's mother's house to
seemingly give his condolences, only to get breastfed by a giant titty monster.
The book stopped being funny or insightful in any way and was just draining me. I agree that it was not worth it at all and regret spending money on it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not a huge fan of Ennis, but it deserves a try.

People claiming that it will be watered down to unrecognizable levels are obviously unfamiliar with Cinemax's latest output. Banshee can be pretty fucked up at times, and Strike Back redefined TV action.

I'd trust Cinemax to make a good adaptation of The Boys well over AMC or HBO.

Walpurgis

Banned
Babies also get eaten, you literally see a super-villain rending an infants flesh off the bone with his teeth. I'd be surprised if a lot of the overly harsh moments(there's plenty) in The Boys get on TV.

I love over the top violence in my entertainment but I have my limits and this is waaaay beyond them. This sounds like the Human Centipede in graphic novel form. The creators of both need to be contained in a straitjacket at a psych-ward.

Walpurgis

Banned
Not a huge fan of Ennis, but it deserves a try.

People claiming that it will be watered down to unrecognizable levels are obviously unfamiliar with Cinemax's latest output. Banshee can be pretty fucked up at times, and Strike Back redefined TV action.

I'd trust Cinemax to make a good adaptation of The Boys well over AMC or HBO.

I've heard good things about those shows (good fight scenes and action) and was interested in watching them. Now I am worried. How bad are they? Is there sexual violence and does it have Mortal Kombat/SAW torture? Or is it just Tarantino (Kill Bill) level?

I really liked The Boys, but I think there's no way this will be any good.

there's some stuff that I can't even imagine being able to be turned into live action... and some other stuff that I'd be shocked if even Cinemax decided to let into the show

though a live action adaptation of Herogasm would be amazing and appalling

Just working our way slowly towards that uncensored Crossed TV adaptation fellas.

now we're talking

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Throats get ripped out, legs are blasted off clean and people get blown up by RPGs. Sex scenes can be as graphic as anything shown by HBO, too. Banshee can get particularly brutal at times (Strike Back is more about insane gun fights and stunts), but more often than not the bad guys are at the end of it and the show doesn't try to be shocking just because it can. It's savage, but not sadistic.

also if they don't get Simon Pegg as Wee Hughie then I'm calling this thing a farce from step 1

Ding ding ding. Whatever this is gonna be, I'm glad I won't be around to see it, because fuck's sake, they're gonna gut it. Calling it right now. I'll be dead, and all of you can go "Yup, that's right. That dead guy was right."

halfway through the series it got kind of... raunchy. The latter half did pick things up. But, all of the shock and awe gets old quick. Which I feel is a shame because Ennis is a great writer.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I just don't see them adapting the mean tone of the show outside of graphic violence against the super heroes and civilians and maybe a lot of sex. I just can't see them keeping some of the down right mean spirtedness of the story as even though Billy Butcher is a little justified what he does and its needed by the world at large, he goes about it in the shittiest manner possible.

In fact I could see the show just circling the drain creatively because it just focuses on the gore, violence, and titillating the audience and not actually bringing forth some of the more scathing commentary on the comics industry and the like.

Walpurgis

Banned
Throats get ripped out, legs are blasted off clean and people get blown up by RPGs. Sex scenes can be as graphic as anything shown by HBO, too. Banshee can get particularly brutal at times (Strike Back is more about insane gun fights and stunts), but more often than not the bad guys are at the end of it and the show doesn't try to be shocking just because it can. It's savage, but not sadistic.

Thanks. That's a relief.

Corpekata

Banned
If it's faithful it's probably be the rapiest show that ever raped on TV.

Every few issues had someone getting raped or molested.

It has a lot of the usual Ennis ticks. But it's actually a really cool comic, imo.

It's a pretty brutal takedown of Superheroes, and surprisingly funny. I think that's one of the unexpected things, how funny it can be. The kinda thing the comic is doing is broadly done quite a lot. But, this is better than those efforts. You know, the Irreversibles and so forth.

Qvoth

i read preacher before they aired season 1, i think it was pretty decent, but i didn't like season 1 of the show
didn't even bother watching season 2
i'll probably just check out the comics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom