• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) September 2023: #1 Starfield #2 Mortal Kombat 1 #3 EA FC24; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue, XBS #2 Units + Revenue

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Starfield outsold FFXVI's YTD in just its first month.

todd-howard-bethesda.gif

Last edited:

Humdinger

yeh, ok. if that includes gamepass; then this is the biggest news in this release.

They don't separate out GP from other subs. So GP might have had a significant rise, while the others had a significant fall. We just don't know.

p.s. It's also inaccurate to say that Starfield didn't push any hardware. It did. Just single digits YOY.

Last edited:
It’s interesting to see people praise the #1 position on this chart. Based on the Bethesda name, Microsoft’s marketing, the time this game was in development and the lack of competition for the month I think it was expected to be 1 for September.

The bigger and real concerns for the game and why I called it a flop and a disaster is because I didn’t think it moved enough Xbox units to displace the ps5 and because it fell off the charts soon after its release.

Anyone praising it as a success willing to go on the record for where it’ll be positioned in October?

It’s the 7th best selling game of the year on two platforms. The games it’s ahead of are largely fighting games, exclusive titles to one platform, remakes, or annual releases.

I just think it’s really sad to see the goalposts get moved.

If this game wasn’t able to push Xbox ahead of ps5 for a single month October November and December are going to be brutal.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They don't separate out GP from other subs. So GP might have had a significant rise, while the others had a significant fall. We just don't know.

p.s. It's also inaccurate to say that Starfield didn't push any hardware. It did. Just single digits YOY.

I think if that was the case, "THEY" would be telling us that. THEY went from never using the Xbox name (remember "other consoles") to using Xbox's name everywhere now that there's good news to share.

Darsxx82

Yeah, two platforms vs one, definitely need a case study on how this is possible
??
I was referring to the sales figures. If it is stated here that FFXVI has been a great success but SF has sold more in less than a month...... You can illustrate what we should understand 😉

That said, FFXVI comes out on PS5, a highly anticipated exclusive from a very famous license, in a period with little competition and without being a game released on a day one subscription service... I don't know about the logic It doesn't fit much either.

Mowcno

Starfield and Series S 1TB launch but as expected still couldn't beat the PS5 even in Xbox strongest territory. If it was going to win a month this was the one to do it. I guess Xbox One level sales really are the best that can be hoped for Series. It doesn't look like that ships getting turned around.

Humdinger

I think if that was the case, "THEY" would be telling us that. THEY went from never using the Xbox name (remember "other consoles") to using Xbox's name everywhere now that there's good news to share.

I don't like to make assumptions based on lack of data.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The bigger and real concerns for the game and why I called it a flop and a disaster is because I didn’t think it moved enough Xbox units to displace the ps5

0bIYQc6.jpg

We can clearly see the hardware bump from Starfield. Posting growth where they would certainly have had declines like Sony and Nintendo.

Clearly not enough to overcome the PS5’s strong headwinds for 2023 + Spiderman bundle

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
One is an exclusive game for a single platform and the other is not.

One is supposed to be the game of the generation and the other is not.

Its fun to compare things.

Uz2zTY9.png

Awkward The Office GIF

All he'll do is post a laugh emoji and ignore the real points you made.

.... up, like clockwork!

Oh no, see above, I didn't ignore the real points he made

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Starfield not being enough to push XS to #1 and only giving it a single digital % increase YoY is really not a good sign for Xbox as a hardware business. I'd love to see a breakdown in sales/users between Xbox and PC to confirm.

If (the admittedly mid) Starfield can't do it, I'm not sure anything can.

It's hard for just one game to achieve that in the middle of a gen race, that usually happens near launch. I think GTA 3 was probably the only game that I could think of where people were lining up to get a PS2 for that game alone, or Halo for the OG Xbox, but it's nice to see Starfield taking the #1 spot, it really deserves it, if you invest enough hours into the game, you start to realize how much effort was put into it, its so inmense that I can't even begin to explain it, I've sunk over 100hrs so far and I feel like I'm only scratching the surface.

ByWatterson

Really great result for Starfield!

But didn't get Xbox to #1 in a month. I wonder if that gets people inside Xbox more or less worried about Game Pass. As in "Hey we can still sell games!" or "It doesn't matter how many games we sell, the boxes aren't moving."

Top Bottom