• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Citizens of GAF: I am in great need of your assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecrofirt

I'm working on a simple game for my friend, and I'm feeling creatively dry. It's a very simple shooter, and I need some help coming up with ideas for enemies.

OK, here's some basic info:
* In this game, you play as a wizard.
* I'm trying to make the game feel very retro. As such, the game is running at 320x200, and using like 4 colors per sprite.
* If an enemy hits you, you die
* if your fireball hits an enemy, it lights on fire, and dies.

Here's a quick & dirty mockup of what it looks like (done in a minute using Paint):
wizardgame.jpg

Some info/requirements for the enemies:
They have to be based in the fantasy realm
The enemies I've come up with thus far: a pig, a cow, a goblin. The pig and the cow were made because my friend is a odd guy, and I know he'll laugh his ass off when he sees them.

Have at it, GAF. I just need some suggestions, you don't need to try and draw up graphics.

And I'm sure there'll be plenty of joke suggestions, and that's fine, too. I just need some ideas; i've hit a block and I can't seem to think of anything else.

fart

Savant
make the characters gaf fan favorites ie, olimario, kinesis, bish, doug, etc. and have them fire gaf posts at each other

Chipopo

Banned
omg, this game REQUIRES a dark/"shadow" version of your protagonist wizard as a boss. When you move up, he'll move down, and he shoots ICE instead of fire. Only HOW DO YOU KILL HIM??!

If you compliment him with some brooding character art, I envision a total fan favorite.

Rorschach

Chipopo said:
omg, this game REQUIRES a dark/"shadow" version of your protagonist wizard as a boss. When you move up, he'll move down, and he shoots ICE instead of fire. Only HOW DO YOU KILL HIM??!

If you compliment him with some brooding character art, I envision a total fan favorite.
:lol

thumbs.up.jpg

Ecrofirt

How about someone gives some help, instead of being one of 177 that views this and for the most part did NOTHING?

bjork

There needs to be skeletons, almost like those guys in Zelda 1. Also bats, almost like those guys in Zelda 1.

Also, what about some sort of upgrade thing, like the options you'd get in a Gradius game? Or a spread shot, wave fire, etc.

I have no idea about making games, I just know the kind of stuff I like. :)

Jim Bowie

You should make some sort of enemy, like a snake, that moves in an "S" curve towards the wizard. That might enhance the gameplay and make it a bit harder.

Brannon

Actually, make a big hippogriff, and when you destroy it, it splits into a flying lion, eagle, and snake that does that S curve thingy.

Oh and you need dragons. Dragons that drive. DRAGON DRIVE.

Ecrofirt

oh and guys, this may come as a shock, but not everyone in the world visits GAF.

The friend that I'm making this for doesn't visit GAF, so anything that references it would be lost on him.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ninja Scooter said:
i present to you Romodamusicon. He is a half warrior-half Jesus. And the Jesus half juggles fruit.

shopodamus4mg.jpg
wow... and he even manages to juggle against gravity. of course, he is jesus (and a warrior) so that's to be expected.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Scooter said:
i present to you Romodamusicon. He is a half warrior-half Jesus. And the Jesus half juggles fruit.

shopodamus4mg.jpg
*raises thumb*
:D

slayn

needs to show more effort.
not an enemy idea per say, but what if when you 'ignite' an enemy it continues hurtling toward you and can kill you unless it burns up in time. Just imagine to shoot a pig with your fireball only because you didn't move out of the way soon enough you got killed by a flying flaming pig.

the pigs should be flying btw. With little wings that couldn't possibly physically keep them aflight. Who doesn't find a flying pig hilarious?

KiNeSiS

Banned
fart said:
make the characters gaf fan favorites ie, olimario, kinesis, bish, doug, etc. and have them fire gaf posts at each other

Cool Idea, but I better be a very powerful Character.
That's the only condition for using my 2-d likeness, all for the sake of realism.

Ecrofirt

Ninja, do you happen to have a bmp version of that? I'd love to use it, but since it's jpeggie, I can't get my transparancy to work. The muddiness around the edges is killing it.

Please, please, please have a bmp version. please.

etiolate

Banned
I'd say make some of the enemies Books, evil books. Also make some evil owls sucking on lollipops. I never trusted that tootsie pop bastard and I think it's time he gets his fiery justice served.

Make a hard mode where the pigs, cows and skeleton bodies ignite and explode but their head keep coming at you needing the player to shoot them again. The heads must leave a bloddy trail.

impirius

After the player has survived for a minute and a half, have a giant picture of a zombie girl fill the screen and scream very loudly

Ecrofirt

here's a quick demo vid of what I've got working n the game so far.

I captured it from my TV. The 320x200 is a placeholder background while I work on more important parts of the game.

http://www.nformant.net/new.avi

It's 408kb, and using the Microsoft MPEG 4 Video Codec V1, which produced better quality than a divx version.

Ecrofirt

if I can get it done tonight, I'll finish the stuff to get enemies working, and I'll make another video tonight with enemies.

Ecrofirt

new vid:
http://www.nformant.net/new2.avi
~1MB

it's using a new placeholder background that made scaling for my TV easier.

Enemies are flying now, but I don't have collision detection in place yet.

Also, I've fixed the slight stutter that occurs with the next enemy when an enemy reaches the end of the screen.

The red spike is also a placeholder. I haven't decided what to go with yet for that spot.

when you shoot fireballs, it makes this sound:
http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/blip.wav

sounds a bit like when you shoot a fireball in Super Mario Bros. when you shoot them in succession.

J2 Cool

Can you do a wizard training sequence with the black trainer from Punch Out training the wizard? I just think that'd take the game to a whole new level

Ecrofirt

i'm bumping this so all you afternoon fellas can take a gander. I doubt many people saw it when I posted this at 3:30AM

Brannon

So have you taken my hippogriff to heart? They're awesome creatures.

If not that, then giant snakes can drop from random spots from the top of the screen wearing parachutes, or maybe dropped from a plane flying overhead. He may not get the *snakes in a plane* reference, but it's still funny on its own.

Ecrofirt

New video is up:
http://www.nformant.net/new3.avi

I sped up the video so it's running at 60FPS now, like the game does, but with the way I have to record, the game slows down. this is causing the enemies to come across faster than they normally would, because their timer is working correctly, but the game only refreshes at around 1/4 speed while recording.

The enemies are coming across now at ~1 second intervals, but in the game, they come at 2 second intervals.

stuff added since last video:
fire animation, collision detection, and death.

Please check it out and let me know what you think. The input from you guys is very valuable to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom