• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clarissa didn't explain it all, did she?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meier said:
Speaking of old Nick, Pinsky from Salute Your Shorts is the lead guitarist for the band Rilo Kiley and lead guitar/singer for The Elected. Saw him in concert the other night -- it was wild.

And isn't the red chick from the Wizard the lead singer for RK? Damn, that is one hell of a lineup.

AniHawk

I remember Welcome Freshmen and Roundhouse.

SNICK used to be (in the good ol' days), Roundhouse, Pete and Pete, Ren & Stimpy, and Are You Afraid of the Dark? Later it changed to include Clarissa and All That.

I remember Stick Stickley and the Big Help too.

Ronin said:
My sister was going through some old tapes and it had some SNICK stuff on there. Anybody remember Roundhouse?

It is my dream to have a motorized lay-z-boy while people spin on their heads around me.

olimario

Banned
'Pete and Pete' and 'Salute Your Shorts' were easily the best Nick shows.

We run, we jump, we swim, and play.
We row and go on trips
But the thing that lasts forever
Are our dear friendships

Camp Anawana
We hold you in our hearts
and when we think about you
"IT MAKES ME WANNA FART"

Pete & Pete was filmed in Cranford, NJ, which is about five minutes away from where I live.

My roommate saw somebody from the show working at a bagel store.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Quotes from Melissa Joan Hart at IMDB:
(Discussing Playboy): If they could promise me it wasn't camera-between-my-knees kind of shots, I would do it. I would do topless. I think it's empowering. Though if my mother had a real big problem with it, I'd have to say no right now.

(on her personality) "I'm a pretty open person. Like, if I have good sex, then the next day I'm going to tell everyone I know about it."

Catalyst

Banned
olimario said:
'Pete and Pete' and 'Salute Your Shorts' were easily the best Nick shows.

We run, we jump, we swim, and play.
We row and go on trips
But the thing that lasts forever
Are our dear friendships

Camp Anawana
We hold you in our hearts
and when we think about you
"IT MAKES ME WANNA FART"
WE NEVER "FART" SO GET IT RIGHT OR PAY THE PRICE

olimario

Banned
Ally Mack was a terrible show.

BAD NICK SHOWS
Hey Dude!
Roundhouse
My brother and me
The Secret World of Alex Mack

GOOD NICK SHOWS
Pete and Pete
Are you Afraid of the Dark
Salute Your Shorts
All That! (first couple seasons)
Double Dare (the original)
Clarissa Explains it All

arter_2

You can't say that on television and hey dude oh and I remember welcome freshmen. Though salute your shorts and pete and pete were the best.

AniHawk

arter_2 said:
You can't say that on television and hey dude oh and I remember welcome freshmen. Though salute your shorts and pete and pete were the best.

Man, I can't believe You Can't Say That on Televesion started back in the 70s. I caught the tail-end of the show during the 80s.. Loved the firing squad skit.

Meier

BobbyRobby said:
And isn't the red chick from the Wizard the lead singer for RK? Damn, that is one hell of a lineup.

She is indeed. Her name is Jenny Lewis and her character's name in The Wizard was Haley.

ConfusingJazz said:
tenthb6.jpg

Yes, yes I do.

Her name is Larisa Oleynik.

OMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGG

i completley forgot about this STUNNING CREATURE! wasn't she the little sister in "10 things i hate about you"???

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!11

AniHawk

Error Macro said:
I want to fucking kill you.

Hey Dude is by far the best show Nickolodeon has ever produced. Though I do agree with you on all of your other choices.

Pffft. The Adventures of Pete and Pete is the best. Hey Dude's all right, but was no match against P&P and Salute Your Shorts.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it - but there used to be a show called "15" on Nick that aired around the same time as Welcome Freshman.

Awesome Nick shows:

Are you Afraid of the dark
You Can't Do that on Television
Alex Mack
Pinwheel
Clarissa
Salute Your Shorts
Hey Dude - My personal favorite
Wild N Crazy Kids

and some others...I'm tired.

Merv-u-mentary!

border

As I recall the original Snick lineup was Clarissa, Ren & Stimpy, Roundhouse, and Are You Afraid..? I don't remember Pete & Pete ever being a part of the lineup.

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to having liked Roundhouse. Looking back I guess it was very hokey (what Nick show wasn't?), but it had a lot of nice little comforting messages that helped ease you into uneasy adolescence. Every other teen-comedy-that's-actually-intended-for-preteens presented a vision of teenage years that was either totally unrealistic (Welcome Freshmen) or ridiculously over-idealized (Saved By The Bell, Clarissa Explains It All). Roundhouse had cynicism and parody tempered with heart.

Fifteen (Nick's short-lived teen soap opera) was pretty awful. I much preferred the completely over-the-top melodrama of the syndicated Swans Crossing....which had a very young Sarah Michelle Gellar in the role of the show's superbitch. It's a shame that it only lasted one season!

Are You Afraid of the Dark was cool at first, but after a year or two it just seemed kind of tiresome and formulaic. It was like a kids' Twilight Zone, except they rehashed the same stable of plot twists over and over again.

I forget what made Salute Your Shorts jump the shark. Didn't the Pinsky character leave after the first season, only to be replaced by some other camp newbie?

I think it's commonly agreed that Snick jumped the shark with the arrival of All That. The infusion of sub-UPN hip-hop humor corrupted everything, and Keenan and Kel were basically just Amos & Andy for kids.

AniHawk

border said:
As I recall the original Snick lineup was Clarissa, Ren & Stimpy, Roundhouse, and Are You Afraid..? I don't remember Pete & Pete ever being a part of the lineup.

To the best of my memory...

I think Clarissa was cancelled in 1994, and Pete and Pete eventually filled the time slot, and/or aired with the show for a year in 1993. Snick got a major retooling when Pete and Pete, Roundhouse, Ren & Stimpy, and Are You Afraid? got cancelled all around the same time and All That became the main staple in the lineup. AHH! Real Monsters also joined along with the Mystery Files of Shelby Woo and some other show.

I also remember The Tomorrow People might've been shown on Snick during the 90s, or maybe it was some weekend block. I know that there used to be a sort of scary/strange history show they used to have that would show during weekend afternoons.

I liked All That, personally. I didn't start hating it until 1998 when all the original cast members, therefore familiar skits, left.

border

Oh well I really can't say what happened in the later years....just that I remember that Pete & Pete was not on at the beginning. I'm at least 95% sure that the original lineup was Clarissa, R&S, Roundhouse, AYAOTD...in that order =)

AniHawk

border said:
Oh well I really can't say what happened in the later years....just that I remember that Pete & Pete was not on at the beginning. I'm at least 95% sure that the original lineup was Clarissa, R&S, Roundhouse, AYAOTD...in that order =)

It was. I got all mixed up since I thought Clarissa came during the mid-90s and not the early-90s.

Anyway, AYAOTD became a weekly thing for me and my sister. We used to stay up and watch Snick, and it was the last show before we went to bed. There were only three episodes I remember scaring me: The one with the clown, the one with the zombie in the school gym thing, and the one with the Nosferatu. I think it was the first show we watched on Nickelodeon religiously. It's also the show that made me feel brave enough to start watching The X-Files in 1993 (I was 7 or 8).

Marc Summers really deserves much respect, from Nick to Unwrapped. Double Dare and What Would You Do? Were always fun to watch as a kid. Though any episodes that included a ventriloquist always gave me nightmares. What scary puppets.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
David The Knome, Don't Just Sit There & Out Of Control > All The Crap On Nick now

David the Gnome was awesome.

Sadly, I remember most, if not all of the entire theme.

"Trolls and wizards and fairie kings, birds that talk and fish that sing, and if your heart is pure, then you will find them too."

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
I think the most I ever laughed at any Nick show was the Prometheus and Bob parts of Kablam!

the rest of the show was meh...but Prometheus and Bob was fucking hysterical.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I can't stand any live action Nick show going back to Pinwheel even, if that was even a Nick production.

Spongebob, Ren and Stimpy, and Fairly OddParents makes the network as good as CN as far as original cartoons though.

olimario said:
Ally Mack was a terrible show.

BAD NICK SHOWS
Hey Dude!
Roundhouse
My brother and me
The Secret World of Alex Mack

GOOD NICK SHOWS
Pete and Pete
Are you Afraid of the Dark
Salute Your Shorts
All That! (first couple seasons)
Double Dare (the original)
Clarissa Explains it All
How DARE you call My Brother and Me BAD.

Does Cool Dr. Money mean nothing to you?

olimario said:
Budnick is the voice of Dave the Barbarian :lol
Steve Buscemi was in Pete and Pete? THAT ROCKS!
So was Iggy Pop! And Michael Stipe! Not to mention a bunch of people from obscure bands, like the math teacher and such. I'm going to check the N right now to see if they still air it.

Man, this thread brings back memories.

Just so everyone knows, I have a buddy at Nick, and there is a concerted effort to get Pete & Pete on DVD. Not sure if it will ever become a reality, but people on the inside do want this to happen.

Also, not sure if this is well known, but one of the major forces behind Kablam! was recently arrested for soliciting a minor online. The name escapes me...

Dragmire

Just so you all know, Clarissa was an awful show. It was boring and even the horrible laugh track didn't seem interested, like a parent patronizing their kid as they read the newspaper.

The point Nickolodeon went down the shitter was when they fired Spumco and made their own Ren and Stimpy. Spongebob is an awful attempt to do R&S over again completely under their control, aka in a generic Nick way. Yes, this 'attempt' is working quite well, but Spongebob didn't almost single-handedly change American animation from a stagnant cesspool of toy commercials and uptight garbage to what it is now (lewd garbage).

Are You Afraid of the Dark? Not after seeing this show. If that's what's in the dark, then whew! We've got nothing to be afraid of. The show was less scary than Rugrats, which was an okay show. It was the best in the beginning until Nick realized they could drag it into a franchise and made movies, where it became rather crap. Doug was a horrible waste of animation cels. Rocko is the best Nicktoon in a post-Ren and Stimpy world, and Aaah! Real Monsters was okay, but that's it. The rest is inane nonsense. I'll admit I only saw one episode of Invader Zim, the first one, but it just didn't look interesting at all. It looked generic humor-wise.

Pete and Pete and Salute Your Shorts were the best of Nickolodeon's live action stuff, but Salute Your Shorts was more like a "good because you were just a kid" type of good. And the rest of Nick's shows are pretty rotten. I actually rarely ever gave Hey Dude the time of day, though, so I don't know about that one. It just looked so dumb.

Everything on current Nick is like the last few seasons of All That. Not all that. Actually quite awful and generic. I can't believe they have a sitcom where the kids are part of a rock band. Have we not progressed as a society beyond The Partridge Family? *Nickolodeon execs shake their heads no and produce a second rock band sitcom*

FortNinety said:
Man, this thread brings back memories.

Just so everyone knows, I have a buddy at Nick, and there is a concerted effort to get Pete & Pete on DVD. Not sure if it will ever become a reality, but people on the inside do want this to happen.

Also, not sure if this is well known, but one of the major forces behind Kablam! was recently arrested for soliciting a minor online. The name escapes me...

So what's the roadblock of getting P&P on DVD? Getting permission from the bands to use the music? Problem with the actors?

I must know!

mightynine said:
So what's the roadblock of getting P&P on DVD? Getting permission from the bands to use the music? Problem with the actors?

I must know!

It's a combination of things really. By now, I think Nick recognizes that there is a demand out there, but it's just a logistical nightmare of sorts, like getting all the proper assets and the such. If you think that's a lame excuse, well bare in mind that Nick is a part of MTV Networks and Viacom, so it's a big company. A very big and disorganized company. Plus, people will want this done right, so if it is being worked on, everyone is taking their time on it.

ge-man

This thread just gave me a flood of memories. Kids these days don't know what they are missing. I don't know how a child can survive without CN or the "N" to make up for the drop off in decent youth programming on Nick and the big networks.

And FortNintey--thanks for that little tidbit. It's good to know that people at Nick realize that there's a demand for Pete and Pete. Of all the shows that Nick could put on DVD, I can't think of one that deserves it more than P&P.

Ryu

I miss olmeck in that one game show that you play in teams and at the end you had to defeat that olmeck maze or whatever. I used to really like that show. I forget its name...

AniHawk

Hey smilin' strange
You lookin' happily deranged
Can you settle to shoot me?
Or have you picked your target yet?

Hey Sandy
Ai ai ai ai
don't you talk back
(ai ai ai ai)
Hey Sandy

Five feet away
End of speech, it's the end of the day
But we was only funnin'
But guiltily I thought you had it comin'

Hey Sandy
Ai ai ai ai
don't you talk back
(ai ai ai ai)
Hey Sandy

Hey Sandy
Ai ai ai ai
don't you talk back
(ai ai ai ai)
Hey Sandy

Hey

Such a nostalgic song for me. In my head when it starts up, I'm 10 and lying down on the couch we used to have, watching episodes in the afternoon on the weekends.

Meeeeeeemories!

Ryu said:
I miss olmeck in that one game show that you play in teams and at the end you had to defeat that olmeck maze or whatever. I used to really like that show. I forget its name...

Legends of the Hidden Temple. Still gets airtime on Nick Gas.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Pete And Pete is one of the greatest shows of all time.

And Dragmire: All of that may be true, but I think some episodes of Spongebob are damned hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom