• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic FM (UK) presents 2 video game music specials today (24/05)

gngf123

From mcmmaster:

I would make a new thread but I have "sufficient privileges", but there's going to be 2 video game specials on Classic FM today.

(All BST/UK Time)

One at 3-5pm highlighting tracks from the Symphonic Fantasies concerts
http://www.classicfm.com/discover/video-game-music/concerts/

With another right after during 5-7pm highlighting symphony scores from video games, they listened to fans for this show so expect a lot of requests
https://twitter.com/Howard_Goodall/status/470169265874944000

Here's the link to the player to tune in to http://www.classicfm.com/radio/player/

The last 2 hour special they did a couple of months ago was great, well worth listening to. I also doubt there will be any problems with people from outside of the UK tuning in.

For a time, right now it is 1:30pm BST. So the first one starts in about an hour and a half from now.

Listen Again:

Jamie Crick presents tracks from Symphonic Fantasies: http://www.classicfm.com/radio/aod/?episodeId=259846

Howard Goodall presents Saturday Night at the Movies, a video game special: http://www.classicfm.com/radio/aod/?episodeId=259852

Or Direct Download:

The second programme's up on Listen Again. Here's a direct downloadable link:

http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/m4a/22601AE2D9D94C48A330D16E9BC3C524.m4a

And the first one, if people missed it earlier:

http://mediaweb.musicradio.com/m4a/272C9C8D8A5E4EE2B258F9AD8F59A3D6.m4a

I should have a copy of the March programme knocking around somewhere.

mcmmaster

Haha wasn't expecting my post to get tagged but thanks anyways.The show hosted by Howard Goodall should be even greater this time around after taking fan requests, here's hoping some SM Galaxy music makes it in

Thought the last one was great. Will definitely listen to this one as well.

If you're outside the UK, all you need is a UK post code. Should be pretty easy to find one.

RalchAC

It'd be cool if they show some SMT music. Those games have really, really great soundtracks.

This is my favorite boss fight song ever ^^

I'm going to be out when these shows are on, I really enjoyed the last one that they did though.
Is there a way to listen to the shows at a later date? I dont want to miss these ones but unfortunately it looks like I'm going to.

gngf123

I'm going to be out when these shows are on, I really enjoyed the last one that they did though.
Is there a way to listen to the shows at a later date? I dont want to miss these ones but unfortunately it looks like I'm going to.

Normally they get archived for a couple of weeks I think. The last one did.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I really enjoyed the last one and Classic FM received a lot of positive feedback from people. Great to see them doing more.

Looking forward to it.

I don't have a chance to listen today, but I'll have to check out their website when I'm back in work next week and use the Listen Again feature or whatever it's called.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This UK guy's blatant surprise as to discovering the quality of game music really illustrates the long slow climb through bullshit videogames have to suffer to be taken seriously. But its slowly happening.

This UK guy's blatant surprise as to discovering the quality of game music really illustrates the long slow climb through bullshit videogames have to suffer to be taken seriously. But its slowly happening.

It really is quite absurd to hear. Thankfully shows like this are happening which might change at least a few opinions.

Yeah

"IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S FROM A FILM"

Makes me cringe a little. Hopefully the show at 5 has some Zelda, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls.

Man what has happened to video game music. This stuff is still amazing and blows away nearly everything today. If anything, technology has improved graphics, gameplay etc but soundtracks have most of the time been downgraded in terms of actually having a good track playing. It's very rare now.

mclem

As a gentle reminder after last time: When they add things to their listen again service, if you inspect the HTML source, you should be able to find a nice, downloadable version of it. wget may be your friend.

Asd202

Oh now they're playing the best video game medley ever made.

Man what has happened to video game music. This stuff is still amazing and blows away nearly everything today. If anything, technology has improved graphics, gameplay etc but soundtracks have most of the time been downgraded in terms of actually having a good track playing. It's very rare now.

IMO Fire Emblem Awakening has a killer soundtrack as good as those older games.

Dio

Banned

I would say that there are still plenty of musicians that hold up the old standard. In fact, some of those musicians are still making stuff to this day - Yuzo Koshiro is still making incredible tracks to this day, and Falcom is still releasing absolutely ridiculously good soundtracks.

If you're talking within a perspective of western games I'd be more likely to agree with you, although there are still some fantastic composers working in the western industry - it just seems like a lot of people are copying Hollywood generic epic-sounding knockoff-Hans-Zimmer style, though.

I know there was something from it last time but another from Super Mario Galaxy would be great to hear as well.
SMG is the absolute paradigm of videogame soundtracks. Made me feel like I was playing a videogame version of Fantasia at times, honestly.
Yup, basically. In any case, it's hardly an insult to say that video game music is as good as film music.

True enough... reads slightly as "It's music from games... NO WAIT DON'T SWITCH OVER". I do wish he'd stop saying it though.

gngf123

I think it's more than video game music started off very simple - Amazing melodies and not a huge amount else. A lot of that was through technical restriction, but it produced some amazing music that can really shine when done like this.

As a lot of AAA games have moved towards more cinematic film score type soundtracks and soundscapes a huge amount of that has been lost. The results are still great, but sound very different. Thankfully there's a lot elsewhere.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, this is the thing im noticing on some of these radio stations that are letting vg music creep in, is they all have seem to had the revelation that VG music is basically classical music, and its also hot with the kids, and they actually love to listen to it.

So now you have a bunch of old farts looking at this, still not quite yet making the connection that they have a way to present classical music to kids and they wont roll their eyes.

So, this is the thing im noticing on some of these radio stations that are letting vg music creep in, is they all have seem to had the revelation that VG music is basically classical music, and its also hot with the kids, and they actually love to listen to it.

So now you have a bunch of old farts looking at this, still not quite yet making the connection that they have a way to present classical music to kids and they wont roll their eyes.

Howard Goodall is a better host in this regard. He treats the music as being good music, not good videogame music.

And kids generally don't listen to Classic FM (sadly).

Missed most of it. Will use listen again on Monday though.

Looks like I missed Fantasy III: Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross. Been wanting to hear that one for a while. I can wait a few more days.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Howard Goodall is a better host in this regard. He treats the music as being good music, not good videogame music.

And kids generally don't listen to Classic FM (sadly).

Well, im not really talking this channel in particular as im not even in the UK, but im just saying the general mindset that classical music is dying with the new generations when in fact it isnt its just being redefined slightly.

edit; oh man this FF track is so good.

Top Bottom