• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B departs Epic - Takes break from industry - GAF writes disturbing fan fiction

Zertez

Didnt ever see him leaving Epic, and figured they would do anything to keep him. With the money he has and the new wife, I dont blame him for wanting some time off. SPending a few months off relaxing on a beach with the wife after the years/possibly decades of deadlines, overtime, pr events, a break is well earned imo. Curious which direction he will take after some time off. If he plans on opening his own studio, joining another big name company or enterting a new field altogether. Wish him in the best in his future endeavors. I have enjoyed work at Epic, so whatever he decides to do, it should be interesting and enjoyable. I know he checks in time to time, so hopefully he will see this thread and post on his possible plans.

Elginer

Holy shit, that's one megaton indeed. Wow, just wow. Good luck Cliff in whatever the hell you do next. So who the hell is gonna make Gears of War 4 on Xbox 720 then? LOL

Xero

He quit so he could spend more time on neogaf obviously. Make a spiritual successor to the original unreal though. Call it unbelievable.

Kud Dukan

Well that's pretty crazy. I'd assume at this point, he's free to go pretty much anywhere. I wish him well wherever he decides to go next.

my jaw is agape.

i hope he's heading somewhere really cool. i always thought Cliffy was one of the best devs out there, and he was one of the nicest and most approachable guys too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy shit. Really unexpected. One of the most genuine guys in the industry. Best of luck to him in the future.

Nibel

zSIRh.jpg

Holy shit :lol

Snakeyes

Hope he does well wherever he goes. Would love to see him work with Nintendo, he's one designer that would really fit with their gameplay first philosophy.

Empty

probably take a few years off then i imagine he'll get his own studio from a publisher ala mikami at zenimax

V_Ben

Banned
Whoa, unexpected. I really hope that Amy Hennig takes him up on his offer to make the next Uncharted now though. Imagine that.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
some quotes from his recent ama:

I was quoted recently on a Fortnite panel about the first Unreal and what a reboot might look like. Having really grown into a big Bethesda fan lately (Skyrim rocked my world) I couldn't help but wonder what a reboot of Unreal would be like if it was more "SciFi-Rim." Sure, there would be shooting involved, but exploration would almost be more important. Get back to that sense of wonder that the first game had. (Caves and castles and crashed ships are basically your dungeon instances, whereas the "overworld" is less intense.) Put it on a high end PC and prepare yourself for amazing visuals never before seen in real time.
I think Oculus is awesome and VR is set for a BIG comeback in the next few years. Not announcing anything formally today, though.
I sometimes wonder if we'll find ourselves in a PC/Phone/Tablet future, honestly.

So, put the survival and social aspects aside for a second and step back and consider that we're in a world where a mod like that CAN blow up thanks to the connected nature of the world in which we live. A handful of guys can now have a great idea for the next big thing and put it out and it can explode seemingly overnight! (We had seen this before with mods like Counterstrike, but it's only become more and more frequent lately.)

Again, I never wanted to build a game with muscle-bound characters; the art department produced the concepts and models and they simply felt good slamming into walls and cutting one another in half with chainsaw guns. I do hope that in the future we can get some of the "dudebro" out of Gears, to be honest.

I'd make sure that there's still a place for survival horror games to exist and floursh. There have been a few that have come back (Amnesia comes to mind) but by and large the genre has almost vanished. Fatal Frame 2 and Silent Hill 2 are two of my favorite games of all time. (Everyone knows I loved RE4 as well, but that's kind of action-horror.)

Top Bottom